Previous   Next

Where would you rather be for spring break?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on March 22, 2006

Browse the archives

“I would probably rather be relaxing on a beach in the British Virgin Islands.”

“If I could have gone anywhere for spring break, I would’ve gone to Moab, Utah. I had the chance to go, but I didn’t know it would be like this here. It would’ve been better if it had snowed more.”

“I would say somewhere on the West Coast with my closest friends just hanging out on the beach.”

“I would rather be skiing in Salem, Ore.”

Comments

Hannibal_Lecter 8 years, 1 month ago

sun_sue is quite correct. I have learned much form her lessons on family dining.

Did I tell you about my friend the minister who was ont in the country one time? He was out hiking and he saw a bear about the same time the bear saw him. They stared at each other as the bear turned toward him. My friend, put his hands together, dropped to his knees, and started to pray, when suddenly the bear charged toward him. He prayed, "Dear Lord, If it is my time to go I will accept your wishes, but could I ask if this bear will end my life, could you see it fit to make him a Christian?

By then the bear was upon him. The bear stopped his charge, raised up, and the last last thing the minister heard was, "Lord, bless this food I am about to receive."

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

c_v, You just went and ticked me off. Don't you know about my campaign to keep city people in the city? It's wild out here in the country. They would only be eaten alive. (Hanibal Lector is a good friend of mine):o)

consistently_voluminous 8 years, 1 month ago

Old Enuf....or you could be hunting for a coyote in Central Park!! Did anyone hear about that story today? Geez! Them New Yorkers were all up in arms about some coyote running around Central Park!! You would have thought it was Bigfoot judging by the way some of them New Yorkers were talking about it on the TV today!! I think a lot of them city folk need to get out in the country more often!!! I mean, I see coyotes all the time where I live!! I love listening to them night!! They have such a unique sound!

MD, I sent you a response. Look for it.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 1 month ago

I'd rather be hunting wild pigs from a helicopter.

Actually, the wife and I are heading to Colorado on Friday morning for a late spring break.

kcwarpony 8 years, 1 month ago

The gas doesn't work on me :( I'm always wide awake and very alert. Hmmm, wonder if I could use the "Boog" method!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

Oh, BTW, kiddo gets the funny gas while they give her tons of shots and then she gets to lay back and watch a DVD while they do their thing. Pretty cool!

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 1 month ago

I have dealt with the local docs, oral and major surgery. Never had any problems, I think the world of them. This was a one bad dude in OP, in his office.Reconstructive surgeon.

They groups here in Lawrence are good, I haven't heard bad things, and I work with these issues a lot.

Good luck to you!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

Goody, I'm kcwarpony! Awesome! I've got you all beat as far as the mouth/throat surgeries! I had my tonsils out...TWICE!!! Once at 34 and again at 35. Pardon my language but that sucked big time rocks!>:[ 3 full weeks of recovery each time. OUCH! (Yes, I'm a wussy, I guess.)

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 1 month ago

Oh and I was sore and all that afterwards. Not like I was eating steaks and lobster right away. Just not as bad as I thought.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 1 month ago

Confrontation...

They shot me up with something in my mouth. It's one of those deals where I dreaded the worst for years and then when it got going I was just in the mindset that I kept waiting for it to get worse but it was just weird.

MD ...

That's why I don't trust being put under. It's an unrational fear and then I hear/read a story like yours.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 1 month ago

TOB - Why do you have a problem with going under? Are you afraid of what happened in a certain Seinfeld episode?

kcwarpony 8 years, 1 month ago

I thank the Creator for my big mouth! All four wisdom teeth came in with no problems! We've all lived very happily for 20 years now. Had a metal filling crack a tooth and had to have a crown put on. Now having the rest of the old fillings drilled out (!) and replaced before they do the same. It's not cool to make a pony whimper but I know how to take complete control of the dentist (an old joke) and I'm not afraid to do so!

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 1 month ago

I had 5 hrs of surgery, paralized, but able to come in and out of awareness. Felt and heard a whole lot of pain and conversations. Now there's an experience. The doctor was skeptical, but when I was able to word for word tell them a conversation they had about another nurse that worked in their office that I had never met or heard of, and her bad relationship with her boyfriend, and how they thought she should get out of it, yada, yada...and a bunch of other things...they knew they were caught!

Confrontation 8 years, 1 month ago

TOB-Hats off to you for living through that! I had all of mine removed 2 years back, and I received all dry sockets to go with it. One of the worst recoveries ever! I couldn't imagine having it done while I was awake.

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 1 month ago

Warpony..I'm all natural , these are real.

kcwarpony 8 years, 1 month ago

What bothers me is lying there with my mouth wide open and someone in there playing around! It's not natural: sun sue, your kidlet is braver than I could ever hope to be!

I see we're on the Tilt-a-Whirl again. I've been prospector, OMB, wonderhorse, and now Multidisciplinary: :o It's not natural:

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 1 month ago

I agree. I had 2 wisdom teeth ripped out last year. I had put the surgery off for at least 12 years and they were becoming a problem (just as my dentists said they would at every single appt. during that time.) Anyhow, I refuse to go under so he said if I could stand the noise and tugging it really wouldn't be an issue. Anyhow, went in with the IPod and he went to work. Started off with some bluegrass but it wasn't jiving with the very very very violent procedure. So I put in the North Mississippi Allstars and kind of went with the deal. Wouldn't want to do it everyday but not the horrific and painful procedure I had envisioned and for 12 years. As always, drugs are good unless the gov't says they are bad. Fortunately, I was on the right side of Uncle Sam in this instance.

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 1 month ago

Hey! Suddenly I'm The_Original_Bob!

Far out! I have to go shave my legs now. Drats, and I don't have time to think of anything crazy to say! Just my luck.

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 1 month ago

kcwarpony..which part is bothering you more, the potential after pain, or the cost? The painkillers nowadays are pretty effective! I should email you the story of the last time I was at the dentist. It will give you something to think about while you're being worked on, it certain did him! And he managed to nearly keep a straight face, but his assistant had to laugh out loud. She couldn't resist. I bet he never thinks about getting teeth perfectly smooth after working on them the same way again. :@

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

kcwarpony, my kiddo is with you...she has a skin graft on her gum tomorrow. Oh the joy of braces!

I'm w/ Ms_C! I wanna be in margaritaville with her and Jimmy Buffet. Who's coming with us? You're all invited. (Glad someone corrected the Rupert Holmes/Jimmy Buffet mix up. That was comparing apples to oranges and would have eventually led to my complete mental breakdown:) Maybe I'll just drive out to the racetrack and have a cheeseburger in paradise.

kcwarpony 8 years, 1 month ago

I would rather be anywhere but here...I have a dentist appointment tomorrow :(

Linda Endicott 8 years, 1 month ago

What spring break?? That's only for kids...

Now, if I got spring break from work, that would be great...

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 1 month ago

C_V...they pulled it of course! :(. I also sent the link to a friend, but was told later all it said was that it had been removed.

But it was really fun while it lasted. If one played it over and over again. Hehehe.

With this on the net, how do people go to work? Who needs to date? LOL.

linux_chick 8 years, 1 month ago

Sorry, all. That was probably mean. :(

linux_chick 8 years, 1 month ago

I'd like to be in sunny California.

Wait a minute... ;)

consistently_voluminous 8 years, 1 month ago

MD, with regards to the message you sent me...which video are you referring to?

outoftowner 8 years, 1 month ago

My day is ruined. I didn't know the "round" barn wasn't actually round, but "sixteen sided". hmmm

RonBurgandy 8 years, 1 month ago

kp - go back two days and read the ots responses.

kansas_prairieland 8 years, 1 month ago

Okay, so I get on LJ World just now and I go to type a message......and according to the LJ World........I'm "One More Bob" LOL!!

This is hilarious!!

WTF is going on with this site??

badger 8 years, 1 month ago

I'm not a cold hearted beast of doom.

I'm a warm hearted badger of correct citation.

one_more_bob 8 years, 1 month ago

sgtwolverine, tell your friend that are some killer places down here to eat a fish. And we have End-of-the-world-as-we-know-it disasters only once in a while. It's just a little slice of paradise.

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 1 month ago

How many times will you ever get a chance to jump in on a wolverine comment! ROFL.

For me, I'd like to be walking in Sitka Spruce in the Pacific NW, looking at the sea! And totally misbehaving, of course!

I'll be spending the next few days catching up with friends I haven't seen, should be interesting, if not adventuresome.

Everyone have fun and be safe!

Marion, keep it up, someone needs to be light hearted, don't listen to the cold hearted beasts of doom.

Gootsie 8 years, 1 month ago

Prospector - YES!!! When it was opened, we spent lots of time in the Sitka Social Club (so named because it is in Sitka Kansas and was a takeoff from the Cheyenne Social Club). And Don's in Protection - great steaks!!!

How in the wide wide world of sports do you know those places??

kansas_prairieland 8 years, 1 month ago

I think Marion is confusing "Escape: The Pina Colada Song" with Jimmy Buffet's "Margaritaville".

sgtwolverine 8 years, 1 month ago

Hey, I have a friend (soon to graduate with a dual major in aerospace engineering and engineering physics -- she's kind of nuts) who just interviewed with a major oil firm based in Houston. Although if she takes the job, it sounds like she won't be anywhere near Houston for long stretches of time.

prospector 8 years, 1 month ago

Gootsie

Is the Sitka Social Club one of your old haunts? Don's Place in Protection, MMMMMM.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 1 month ago

I believe it's supposed to be both warm and sunny in July. Or so I'm led to believe.

Gootsie 8 years, 1 month ago

So YIP, you are going to have some Mulch Madness?

one_more_bob 8 years, 1 month ago

Houston is lovely in the spring. Some days there is almost no petrochemical odor in the air. Everybody come on down!

YourItalianPrincess 8 years, 1 month ago

Good Morning Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to be anywhere but here this week. Somewhere tropical, warm and sunny. White sands and cold drinks in hand. I really wouldn't care where just as long as it had all of the above.

Is is going to get a bit warmer, maybe sunny? I need to remulch my playyard.

badger 8 years, 1 month ago

Marion -

Please give credit where credit is due.

That is not a Jimmy Buffet song.

He may have covered it at some point, but it's not his.

We may have to put up with your inane posting of the lyrics of that song and those of the second-rate last-ditch effort to cash in on the 'Beach Boys' name before 'fat, bald, and old' finally shuffled off the majority of the band, in addition to your occasional Birdcage-style lapse into showtunes, but you could at least have taken ten seconds to run it through google and find out whose song it actually is.

Rupert Holmes released the song in 1979 per wikipedia and google.

kansas_prairieland 8 years, 1 month ago

Oh, acg.........I'm sure there have been many, many times in the Reverend's life where he has had both of his buns.....Ahem!....."buttered"!!! And I'm also sure that over the years he has "buttered" more than a few buns himself! LOL!!

Gootsie 8 years, 1 month ago

So, all of you want photos from my upcoming trip to northwestern Oklahoma and SW Kansas via TOB and MD's stomping grounds? I can arrange that! I thrive on envy.

I've skied Clark County before. Interesting..."That was no mogul - that was a cow chip! Let's throw it!"

sgtwolverine 8 years, 1 month ago

Apparently they didn't fix the problem.

sd123 8 years, 1 month ago

ok.....whose logged in under my user name??? This is sd123 and for some f'd up reason, I'm logged in as one_more_bob YIKES!!! However, when I post, it is posted under my user name. what the hey?

Silence_Dogood 8 years, 1 month ago

I'm from Oregon, and there are no ski resorts anywhere close by to Salem . . . Mt. Bachelor is three hours away, and Mt. Hood is two. Huh, Alan?

Marion: go read a book or something.

acg 8 years, 1 month ago

hehe KP, is that one of those "I think he doth protest too much" sort of things? I know his granddaughter. She's been excommunicated from the family because she doesn't hate enough. She told me once that she always had her suspicions about him and what side is bread was really buttered on. I would love for someone to get photographic proof of that. Woohoo! Brokeback Baptist Church. :)

kansas_prairieland 8 years, 1 month ago

I'd like to spend spring break at the Phelps compound in Topeka. I'd like to be able sit by a warm fireplace and listen to the....Ahem!....."Reverend" Fred go on in detail about God's hatred for all-things-homosexual. And after several hours of his ranting and raving....maybe the two of us could go out for a beer.

And who knows? Maybe after the old man is drunk...he'll spill the beans and admit that he himself is a homosexual? Boy! Wouldn't that be something?!

badger 8 years, 1 month ago

City-wise, I'm happy with where I am.

However, I'd really prefer to be on my back porch right now, drinking coffee, watching birds, and playing online games on the laptop.

In the last office move, I got one without windows. Bleah. I used to be able to watch grackles.

snoozey 8 years, 1 month ago

Eudora, they don't have roundabouts or the T-bus !

acg 8 years, 1 month ago

Panama City Beach, FL Manhattan, NY So. Padre Isl. camping in the badlands, SD Vegas, sunning myself beside the pool at MGM at home in bed There are many other places I'd rather be right now. Too numerous to list.

prospector 8 years, 1 month ago

Be sure to take a hatchett and hit Carry Nations' house in Medicine Lodge. Enjoy the scenic Flint Hills. If you know where to look, you may find one of Ted Turner's Bison herds out there.

cutny 8 years, 1 month ago

Man, I'm in Brooklyn right now. Give me Lawrence, KS any day. Marion...looks like you might have some time on your hands. Ever consider volunteering your formidable resources and time to those who might need it.

ms_canada 8 years, 1 month ago

Another possibility would be Down around Biloxi, with Jimmy of course!
Out on his boat with a pitcher of Pina Coladas hmmm!!

bankboy119 8 years, 1 month ago

I'm enjoying it actually derf.

ms_canada 8 years, 1 month ago

Wastin' away in Margueritaville with Jimmy B . :o) Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt!

derf 8 years, 1 month ago

Marion, please give us a break.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 1 month ago

Hot damn. Greensburg and Meade Kansas it is. On the way we can stop at the Round Barn.

I was going to say something like skiing in Colorado or Utah, but Daniel Ohlmeier reminded me of SW Utah with his answer. Haven't been there in a few years.

samsnewplace 8 years, 1 month ago

Hawaii on the beach, there is no place better!

Marion Lynn 8 years, 1 month ago

Escape

(The Pina Colada Song)

Jimmy Buffet

I was tired of my lady, we'd been together too long. Like a worn-out recording, of a favorite song. So while she lay there sleeping, I read the paper in bed. And in the personals columns, there was this letter I read:

"If you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain. If you're not into yoga, if you have half-a-brain. If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes of the cape. I'm the love that you've looked for, write to me, and escape."

I didn't think about my lady, I know that sounds kind of mean. But me and my old lady, had fallen into the same old dull routine. So I wrote to the paper, took out a personal ad. And though I'm nobody's poet, I thought it wasn't half-bad.

"Yes, I like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain. I'm not much into health food, I am into champagne. I've got to meet you by tomorrow noon, and cut through all this red tape. At a bar called O'Malley's, where we'll plan our escape."

So I waited with high hopes, then she walked in the place. I knew her smile in an instant, I knew the curve of her face. It was my own lovely lady, and she said, "Oh, it's you." And we laughed for a moment, and I said, "I never knew"..

"That you liked Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain. And the feel of the ocean, and the taste of champagne. If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes of the cape. You're the lady I've looked for, come with me, and escape."

"If you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain. If you're not into yoga, if you have half-a-brain. If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes of the cape. I'm the love that you've looked for, come with me, and escape."

Thanks.

Marion.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 1 month ago

St. Thomas with a Pina Colada.

trinity 8 years, 1 month ago

that song always used to annoy me-still does.

i'm where i'm supposed to be right here right now; but if i were dreamin', i'd be puttin' down a sunny highway on a run from kansas to _ on a Harley. sigh thanks, now i'll never get any work done today! ;)

sgtwolverine 8 years, 1 month ago

Wrestling a wolverine to the ground? Wow, that would be fun to watch.

It's probably wise of you not to enter Michigan looking for wolverines. Believe it or not, it was big news when someone actually photographed a wolverine in Michigan. As I recall, it had been at least 100 years since anyone could verify such a sighting.

Napoleon_Dynomite 8 years, 1 month ago

blessed3x, I prefer to hunt the truly sporting way and just wrestle the animals to the ground.

Sgt. don't worry we don't enter MI.

Marion Lynn 8 years, 1 month ago

The Beachboys

Kokomo

Aruba, Jamaica ooo I wanna take you Bermuda, Bahama come on pretty mama Key Largo, Montego baby why don't we go Jamaica

Off the Florida Keys There's a place called Kokomo That's where you wanna go to get away from it all

Bodies in the sand Tropical drink melting in your hand We'll be falling in love To the rhythm of a steel drum band Down in Kokomo

Aruba, Jamaica ooo I wanna take you To Bermuda, Bahama come on pretty mama Key Largo, Montego baby why don't we go

Ooo I wanna take you down to Kokomo We'll get there fast And then we'll take it slow That's where we wanna go Way down to Kokomo

To Martinique, that Monserrat mystique

We'll put out to sea And we'll perfect our chemistry By and by we'll defy a little bit of gravity

Afternoon delight Cocktails and moonlit nights That dreamy look in your eye Give me a tropical contact high Way down in Kokomo

Port Au Prince I wanna catch a glimpse

Everybody knows A little place like Kokomo Now if you wanna go And get away from it all Go down to Kokomo

Ooo I wanna take you down to Kokomo

Thanks.

Marion.

blessed3x 8 years, 1 month ago

Hey Napolean, what kind of gun did you use?

(...and did you attempt to conceal it?)

jonas 8 years, 1 month ago

(to the future. to the horizen)

the force is not strong with me this morning

jonas 8 years, 1 month ago

These ones, a long time have I watched. All their lives as they looked away. Never their minds on Where. They. Were!. Hmm? What they were doing! Hmph.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 1 month ago

Well then, that settles it -- I definitely don't want to be in Alaska.

inmate 8 years, 1 month ago

anywhere else would be nice

one_more_bob 8 years, 1 month ago

I'd rather be looking down the world's largest hand-dug well.

goatdog 8 years, 1 month ago

At George Bush's trial in Den Haag.