Previous   Next

Do you think the benefits of all-day kindergarten outweigh the costs?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on March 15, 2006

Browse the archives

“Yes. All of my kids went to all-day kindergarten. If they’ve gone to preschool, then they are ready to go all day. I really don’t see how it would cost that much more for the whole day.”

“I think so, especially for the parents who have to work. They learn a lot more there than they do in day care, and usually all day doesn’t really mean all day. They would still have time for other activities.”

“I think so. The more time they spend with the kids and the more time they have for activities, the more they will learn. Teachers would be able to present more material and cover more topics than with just a half day.”

“I would have to say they do. I used to work at an all-day kindergarten, and the kids get a lot more time to interact with each other, develop more as individuals and learn about themselves.”

Related story

Comments

neopolss 9 years, 1 month ago

I like Bruce on channel 8 Topeka. He completely freaks out with a storm. By the time other channels are reporting severe weather, he's already got tornados on the ground, massive destruction, etc. He really gives that feeling of impending doom, like a good weatherman should. =)

sgtwolverine 9 years, 1 month ago

Okay, so I guess I'm really at a loss as to why a "so much more rigorous" curriculum is really necessary for 5-year-olds. They're 5, for goodness sake. They have 12-16+ years of school to go.

allateup 9 years, 1 month ago

rightthinker...you crack me up!

I would like proof that my child is going to be smarter for going all day rather than staying home with his mother or father a 1/2 day. Haven't read the story yet but does this mean the state will now mandate kindergarten?

acg 9 years, 1 month ago

This has nothing to do with today's question, but I laughed so hard at this it was almost painful. We can always use something else to laugh at, right? Enjoy, everyone.

sgtwolverine 9 years, 1 month ago

I believe the offender must consume an entire fruitcake in one sitting.

Ooh, I don't know. That sounds kind of harsh.

RonBurgandy 9 years, 1 month ago

hitme - i didn't calcuate anything regarding roundabouts, but someone at my work suggested that everyone bring in their favorite pie for pi day. I completely forgot about it, but a lot of people brought in some freaking good pie.

Richard Heckler 9 years, 1 month ago

It's too bad our legislature is less consistent than the weather.

Over fifty years ago kindergarten was an assumed part of life. So long as it is not mandatory I say go for it. Art,music,dance,reading and healthy food should keep them busy.

Perhaps a little information revealing to these youngsters that mideastern people are generally as peaceful as anyone else. This would seem a good age to introduce some world culture regarding other human beings.

With all due respect some day care providers do offer substance throughout the day.

enochville 9 years, 1 month ago

I think if the choice is between child day care and kindergarten, then go ahead with another half-day of kindergarten.

Side note: for those of you who might be interested in participating in our OTS NCAA Men's Tourney Pool and missed the first time we talked about how to join, go here to learn more: http://www2.ljworld.com/forums/open/general/30/

sgtwolverine 9 years, 1 month ago

I guess I'm a little unclear as to the actual benefits of all-day kindegarten as opposed to half-day kindegarten. Benefits for the children, I mean.

irnmadn88 9 years, 1 month ago

I wonder if having all day supervision is going to take away the seemingly only time left a child has to truly play?

Kids today are adult led, adult fed almost their entire day...when are they going to learn creativity, self discovery, and self expression if they are constantly supervised?

Then we wonder whether to let them out of school for lunch?

trinity 9 years, 1 month ago

love your post, irnmadn; i agree, there just doesn't seem to be nearly enough unstructured, UNSCHEDULED "down-time" for kids any more. i know, schedule conflicts, BUSY parents, etc have contributed to that...but darnit, i have to wonder if the average kid any more would know what to do with those lazy hours spent with neighborhood kids; i remember we'd make up games, play all over the place, etc. and it was goood.

sigh i'm getting old.

killjoy 9 years, 1 month ago

As long as their taught to shoot straight, that's what's important.

Purell 9 years, 1 month ago

OMB, "...sound business practices"
Being aware of your point of reference, that is tooooo funny!

YourItalianPrincess 9 years, 1 month ago

I just checked the weather online and we are supposed to get rain. The weather channel is reporting a 40% chance now, so it makes you wonder whats really going on here.

I'm going to be one of those weather watchers now........LOL. I love a good storm since moving here. My landlord finally had the huge tree in the back trimmed on Monday. I have only been telling him for around 6 years now. Its an old tree, so when the next one hits I will pray one of those large branches they left doesn't fall on the roof above my bedroom.

By the way, has anyone seen a green turtle shell lid to my sandbox. It blew somewhere and of course Walmart won't sale me just a lid for it. You may find the bottom half of the turtle sandbox in the Lawrence Freecycle if I choose not to replace it through Little Tykes.

irnmadn88 9 years, 1 month ago

Why do I feel that the children of today are hurded from one activity to another activity? And when they are of a sufficient age not to be hawked over by a parent and can be left to the supervision of another adult, that the parent can then hurd another child to a different activity or find time to take care of necessary business...Who raises these kids? I think the reason to have a well rounded child participating in as many activities as money and time will allow is raidly degrading into a ruse to fill the need for a babysitter...

acg 9 years, 1 month ago

How many times are supposed to answer this particular question? Grrrr....

sunflower_sue 9 years, 1 month ago

TOB, as long as I have enough condiments in the fridge, I'm always prepared for .

sgtwolverine 9 years, 1 month ago

Perhaps one day they will simply combine the questions: "Do you feel you are adequately prepared for the increased cost of all-day kindergarten?"

RonBurgandy 9 years, 1 month ago

It's Kansas. The weather is crazy here, always has been.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 1 month ago

Channel 9 only cut in during commercials!

mollysoph 9 years, 1 month ago

In terms of the benefits of all day kindergarten, they are many. Just to name a few, there is more one on one time with students and teachers, there is the benefit of covering a topic in depth instead of glossing over, students are able to cover more information in science and social studies in addition to the heavy emphasis in reading and math, there is more time for those fun activities we all remember from kdg, like art projects and games. Now that the curriculum is so much more rigorous, those "fun" things have had to go by the wayside, and those are the activities that 5 year olds love and need.

YourItalianPrincess 9 years, 1 month ago

First off I would like to thank Merrill for what he said about daycares. There are some of us out here who do offer preschool programs which include weekly themes, and daily subjects.

As far as all day kindergarten goes, this is my view on it. If they are going to offer an all day program, kindergarten should start at 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. Maybe even start them at the same time as the other grades but let them out at a bit earlier.

Some schools start at 8, 8:15, and 8:45, so a 6 hour day is good and I believe that at least every 2 hours they children should be let outside to run around for about 15 to 20 minutes. This way they can run off some steam and be ready to work again. Keeping a 5 to 6 year confined in a classroom all day may be to much for some of them.

Children need down time like adults do. Thats why we breaks at work ( well some of us do ). All day kindergarten is a great idea, but 7 hours may be to much for some children. I do agree with the children who are in preschools and that they may be used to long days, but there are some who are not. I have children here from 7 am until they go home at 5:30. We are structured with things going on all day, but they do get their down time also. Children need that time for running, playing, and interacting with other children.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 1 month ago

rightthinker, sorry...you did not know my brother's ex. And, I hope that someday, God will sit down and have a good long talk with her!

irnmadn, You are exactly right about the kids being herded around to a thousand activities. I put my kids in preschool only because they are country kids and I wanted them to have time with other children. They also went to the Arts Center. They had a blast! Playing, painting, being creative! That's what being a kid is about. Did they suffer academically? NO! Both have excellent grades in school. I let them each choose 1 activity to do outside of school. This is because I want to raise my children. I don't want them looking back on their childhoods and saying, "thank goodness we were never at home." I want them to remember that they: learned to throw and catch a ball; play kickball; go hiking in the woods; learned to fish; learned to cook; etc...from their parents. These are the best memories I have from my childhood and I want the same for them. I don't know if it's striving to make their child the best or just glorified babysitting that has so many kids hopping. Maybe the parents just want to introduce their kids to everything. I really don't know. If someone out there can explain it to me, I would really like to know. I just know too many kids that don't even see their parents until 7 pm and I truly feel bad for them. Life is short. Kids grow so fast. You do the math.