Previous   Next

Who is your favorite American Indian film star?

Asked at Haskell Indian Nations University on March 7, 2006

Browse the archives

“Graham Greene. I was really impressed with the role he played in ‘Dances with Wolves.’ Really serious, but sort of playful at the same time. You can really see the lighter, more humorous side of his emotions.”

“Adam Beach from ‘Dance Me Outside,’ ‘Skins,’ ‘Wind Talkers,’ ‘Smoke Signals’ and ‘Joe Dirt.’ He’s in a lot of other movies I’ve seen. He’s very successful.”

“Graham Greene. He’s in ‘The Green Mile,’ ‘Skins,’ ‘Dances with Wolves’ and a lot of other movies. He’s a really strong Native American actor.”

“It’s probably Graham Greene. He’s been in a lot of movies. He was pretty original in ‘Running Brave,’ and that came out more than 20 years ago. He’s really good at playing the modern-day Indian.”

Comments

bearded_gnome 9 years ago

WOW, i wonder when "indian" and "american" got transposed by the Gods of LJW/site staff??? now, if somebody looks back here, all our comments RE "indian american" look silly, stupid, or just crazy...oh, yeah, guess that describes 85% of all anyway!

Linda Aikins 9 years ago

I actually did - 2nd poster of the day!

Linda Endicott 9 years ago

Perhaps they meant Native American??

Linda Aikins 9 years ago

Thanks LadyBug. I'm feeling better now! ;)

classclown 9 years ago

Anyone born in this country is a native american.

KsLadybug 9 years ago

Just as I suspected...everybody is talking about everything else but the question at hand. Is this a chat room?

Linda Aikins 9 years ago

Sooz, it means

rolling on the floor laughing my a$$ off

bearded_gnome 9 years ago

Bea, I meant, it would be nice if the OTS questioner went out to haskell at other occasions, not just for an indian question. that's all.

favorite sound effect in a movie?

thunderbuns 9 years ago

You know who I hate? Indian givers.

No, wait. I take that back.

Linda Aikins 9 years ago

Maybe your meatballs post this morning? It was an 8.5 out of 10.

linux_chick 9 years ago

going to meetings. Everyone have a nice day!

thunderbuns 9 years ago

Windtalkers = ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

curioso, I'm a bit of an acronym dolt so could you explain what roflmoa means?

bearded_gnome 9 years ago

good choices Bea, I'm actually partial to those wonderful, kludgey sound effects in all those old japanese sci fi movies...they're just funny.

can't go to sleep, mrs. gnome is lashed to her computer!

wonder, probably not just "freaks" burt something psychological deeper, maybe self-distructive motivation? or, the excitement?

and, if your man's in 'da big house, you always know where he is and when he's comin' home!

Linda Aikins 9 years ago

Sorry KsLadybug, the world revolves around me. You can't have it.

Ceallach 9 years ago

All generalizations are false, including this one.

bearded_gnome 9 years ago

KS-lady-bug, welcome, and I'm glad you joined us, though looks like you had a bumpy ride today...[remember movie ref there!]... this is typical for this ots board, we wander, wonder, maunder, and somettimes rarely, stay right on topic. most days, there'll be three to five or more topics.
somehow, on valentine's day, somebody was on here discussing kansas oil and gas leases...I didn't have time to read all the posts that day, and that's a mystery i will never resolve...just have to accept OTS as unfathomable...

bearded_gnome 9 years ago

and, from the prisoners in love file: now that Toby Young and DogBoy are back in the slammer, we learned in today's news:

Martin (the killer) Miller, who strangled his wife, is marrying a woman this weekend! she also attended his church, and became close to him after the murder occurred!

c'mon ladies...caint ya' do better!
one would think the fact he's in jail for strangling his wife, whom this new woman may have known in life, would be enough to put a damper on romance!

geezzee, or however you spell it

linux_chick 9 years ago

Rolling On the Floor Laughing My Gluteus Maximus Off :)

(obviously the G and M are silent ;) )

beatrice 9 years ago

Hey bearded: glad to see you and yours are feeling better.

I'm with you -- I have no idea how any woman falls for a guy in prison for a horrible crime. Yet it happens all the time. Freaks is how I read them.

favorite sound effect in a movie? I suspect you are teasing given my silly comment earlier, but I'll answer as if an actual question since it is a tough one. However, I might have to go with two examples that popped into my head of things I've never actually heard in real life. 1) the sound of the bullets hitting flesh in the opening battle scene from Saving Private Ryan. It is a truly horrifying sound, and my dad who did fight in WWII says it is pretty close to being accurate. 2) The T-Rex roar in Jurassic Park. It had such strength, so gutteral. And wonderfully make believe.

Now, get some sleep!

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

Favorite animal film star: Gumbi's horse

curioso, I've gotten some of my best pets because they've "fallen" cough, cough out of cars on my road.

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

Thanks Goots and LC. I knew someone would tell me. Now would someone explain what I said that was so funny? I'm confused...which is not a great stretch.

sgtwolverine 9 years ago

LC, maybe tomorrow's OTS will be about the headline. "Does LJWorld.com understand the intricacies of the English language?"

Confrontation 9 years ago

KsLadybug is just sad that her editing job at the LJWorld may be coming to an end.

canyon_wren 9 years ago

s_sue--thanks for the info about Kirk Mitchell. I'm on my way to the library and will look for him--I need a new author. Right now I'm almost through with a good biography of Will Rogers--speaking of Indians!

kcwarpony 9 years ago

"I agree with Ceallach." I forgot that little rule on the previous post, please excuse... :)

My birth certificate has "Am. Indian" on it. Does that mean I'm only Indian in the mornings?

KsLadybug 9 years ago

Too late Gootsie! I already claimed it but I'll give it to you cause I feel sorry for you.

Ceallach 9 years ago

This world revolving thing may be a hint as to the basic reason many of us post here :):)

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

Pamela is a very smart little girl. Maybe I'll get my kiddies to conduct experiments of their own. Maybe this spring we will see which color of string Orioles prefer.

We have learned from experience that if you accidently catch a skunk in a live trap, treat them like a bird. Throw a blanket over the trap before you move it. If the skunk can't see you, it won't spray. This has been successful every time for the hubby. p.s. Burn blanket. Them thar critters still stink even if they don't spray.

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

Yes, OTS has been "iffy". Very tempermental lately concerning speed.

Ceallach 9 years ago

Good Pony :) Yes, that is exactly what it means! That must be very confusing for you. I thought mine should say should say Cherish, to represent both the Cherokee and the Irish, but you know how picky the government can be.

All y'all have a good evening!

sandrat7 9 years ago

wow! I make my pick before I read the article. I'll have to try to go see him. How exciting!

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

Canyon Wren, I usually ask about tribal affiliations. Reading too many Tony Hillerman and Kirk Mitchell books got me doing that. If you're not familiar with Kirk Mitchell, do go and check him out. He's not from any tribe but he worked with the BIA and has a good grasp of how to write a mystery. Good reads.

Ceallach 9 years ago

I was just teasing you, ladybug :) didn't mean any offense. I don't think there is a correct or incorrect way to type Geeeeeezzzzzz.

KsLadybug 9 years ago

The Chief's name in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" is Will Sampson. He was pretty good in that movie!!

KsLadybug 9 years ago

Now....your analyzing my comment. So what if I had a typo....who cares??????????????????????????? You understood what I was saying.

KsLadybug 9 years ago

Okay, Okay...I've had my fun. You guys can post all the comments about me that you want or better yet the actual question. I have to read the rest of the newspaper.

kcwarpony 9 years ago

I'm hoping the reason why most students answered Graham Greene is because they haven't had the time to watch too many movies because of spending all their time studying:)

Gary Farmer's Philbert (with his '64 Buick "warpony") was a great role for him and I really enjoyed Elaine Miles and Michelle St. John as Lucy and Velma, the two girls who gave Victor and Thomas a ride to the bus stop in Smoke Signals. Now that was a rez car!

Ceallach 9 years ago

It wasn't totally wasted, sue, you occasionally got to look at a very handsome windtalker :)

acg 9 years ago

I finally got a chance to read all of this today and all I can say is TOB totally bummed me out by telling us that the crying indian was an italian. TOB if I didn't know you had a new bobling, I would wish ruin on your crops or something for harshing my mellow, man.

KsLadybug 9 years ago

Oh..I thought that I was finished. I'm really glad that I could make someone feel better about themselves. So Gootsie..I don't think that you even answered the OTS question. So who is your favorite? Did I miss it?

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

curioso, Yes, Kirk Mitchell does a great job of pointing out the BIA controversy in his books. His main character is a Comanche and, thus, writes from that prospective. Also, I may be wrong that he has no Indian blood. I'd have to look that up for sure.

And as for the critters, I live out in the "boonies." I wouldn't dream of tossing something out in the city but I can see your point. However, 2 to 3 apple cores a year out in the country can hardly be compared to a dumpster. Let's pick on the dirtbags who throw their Sonic bags out of the window. The only critter that attracts is my dog and he is dumb enough to go to the road to get it.

Ceallach 9 years ago

HINT: LJW, this is where the change should be made.

Who is your favorite Indian American film star?

Ceallach 9 years ago

My little Cherokee g'ma used to laugh at people stumbling over which "designation" to use when referring to American Indians. Derf, she also preferred Indian and thought it was silly to make a big fuss as to whether or not today's white people should use the name assigned by an old white guy or use more proper names -- many of which come from current white people As if we don't have enough other things to worry about :)

canyon_wren: I can assure you that while America in general may see all Indians as the same, Indians themselves are very aware of tribal distinctions.

linux_chick 9 years ago

lol - Confrontation. :)

M. Night Shyamalan - OK so he directs and acts in his movies, so I may be cheating. But I still think he's great.

Linda Aikins 9 years ago

I forgot about him being on Northern Exposure - my favorite of all time tv show. And I too liked Thunderheart!

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

curioso, That is an interesting arguement. I don't know that I buy into it, though. I usually only see dead deer during hunting or rutting season. As for the smaller critters, have you noticed all the dead skunks lately? It's mating season. While I do agree that deer and many critters will eat decaying fruit, I don't think it "attracts" deer to the road. I think that if deer eat the fruit, it was in their path in the first place. They are very much creatures of habit. They follow the same paths all the time. There is such an abundance of natural food for deer around here, they would not have to go and scrounge at the roadside. Can you point out some sources? I am interested and would like to see more on the subject. Most deer I see are quite happy to stay fat and sassy eating stuff that they can readily get in safety.

linux_chick 9 years ago

Gootsie, truly an early bird :)

Maybe if I had gone back to read earlier, I would've seen that everything I said was way old news. LC apologizes.

Hmm... Why delay response for so long... it does make me wonder.

Is there some reason ljw can't fix it here? Maybe instead of fixing the headline, they've pulled off some journalist to write an editorial of apology for tomorrow's edition?

That would suck...

canyon_wren 9 years ago

Glad to hear a Native American say he prefers to be called an Indian. I've heard that before (I think Tony Hillerman has mentioned it, too). It would be nice to be able to identify Indians by tribes, as well--I am sure they are proud of specific tribal heritage and I think it is somewhat condescending to lump them altogether.

MY claim to fame is that while at KU, I went out twice with KU's "famous Indian"--Billy Mills! He was pretty cute, and I guess he still is--even if we all are getting older!

KsLadybug 9 years ago

Geezzz........we get it. LJW made a mistake by printing Indian American. Most of us know what they meant. Quit analyzing everything to DEATH!!!!

KsLadybug 9 years ago

I will use as many e's or z's as I wish. I was bored with this topic but now since everybody seems to be totally off the subject and now on me, I am REALLY interested. Because the world does revolve around ME!!

KsLadybug 9 years ago

This is my first time posting a comment and look at how much fun I am having. Thanks alot guys. You've really made a boring topic fun.

avhjmlk 9 years ago

I think the guy from "Harold and Kumar's" is probably your best bet. I don't remember him having a "born in another country"-type of accent.

linux_chick 9 years ago

ksLadybug: Ouch.

Typos are made everyday. In this case, the ljw made a typo that happens to carry larger implications.

I would be sad if a reader inferred that LJW doesn't care or even acknowledge the difference between two very different cultures. Personally, I hope the ljw minds if a reader comes to this conclusion, which would be a reasonable stance to have given the situation.

This is not a small mistake. I hope they change this, because I don't believe the ljw is culturally insensitive. Unfortunately, if sensitivity is an issue, I may have doubts about yours.

I'm not trying to pick on you ks. But, I do disagree trivializing this. The ljw didn't have to bring ethnicity or culture into the on-the-street today and everything would be well. Since they did, they should get it right.

Ceallach 9 years ago

Why do you suppose KsLadybug used the letter e twice and the letter z three times? Why not use both e and z three times? Or, why didn't she use . . . oh nevermind . .

Ceallach 9 years ago

Note to Staff: Since it is super simple to change a heading -- why doesn't some one revise this question???? It would be beneficial in making the paper look somewhat caring about how they reference an entire race of people!!

linux_chick 9 years ago

TOB: fair enough. I think you're copping out, but I s'pose that's your prerogative. ;)

Ceallach: agreed. I think it makes our paper look culturally insensitive and they should probably fix it. I wrote them, but no response yet.

lunacydetector 9 years ago

Anthony Quinn........American Indian

was Ben Kingsley Indian, he was great in Ghandi? Indian Indian?

Confrontation 9 years ago

I think the LJWorld took a trick question to Haskell in order to encourage the feds to grant more money for geography and film classes. I'm not falling for it. My favorite Indian American actor would have to be Kal Penn, from "Harold And Kumar Go To White Castle."

avhjmlk 9 years ago

There's also no evidence that the question in the title of the OTS printed question is the same question (as in, word order) that they actually asked the students at Haskell. I think we're suffering from a case of dimwitted copy editors...

bankboy119 9 years ago

beatrice 9 years ago

I think it was a good idea to ask this question at Haskell, otherwise non-Indians probably would have just answered "Graham Greene."

beatrice 9 years ago

I thought we distinguished the two Indian groups by saying "dot, not feather," or vice-versa.

(Looking for a cheap, politically-incorrect laugh here. Forgive me for the broad generalization my fellow liberals.)

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 9 years ago

Adam Beach, but then I'd watch him do anything. Except leading a protest outside an abortion clinic or maybe declaring an illegal and immoral war, or Ok...not anything.

linux_chick 9 years ago

TOB, you really think ljw went to Haskell and asked them who their favorite actors from India were?

I suppose it's possible...

It may be more likely that an editor or journalist inverted two small words and no one caught it.

beatrice 9 years ago

bugladyKS: Actually, by analyzing words, they are brought to life. To ignore something is what allows it to die. This side-line of discussion today is a perfect example of finding out if there is a "there" there. By analyzing the question, we can find out if it was racial insensitivity, a simple error, or a simple error that stems from a general attitude of racial insensitivity. How many even noticed originally? I make jokes about this sort of thing here because I enjoy word play, but that doesn't mean that the words - and how they are put together - aren't important. For instance, your login name has a much different look the way I phrased it at the beginning of this statement. Instead of being something cute that flutters about, it becomes a strange person who likes bugs (to eat? to study? to just be around?).

Words are important. We can never over analyze them. We can only bore others by doing so.

KsLadybug 9 years ago

Well I really like Eddie Spears in Black Cloud. What about Michael GreyEyes??? Anyone remember him? And the American Indian actresses? Like Irene Bedard and Casey Camp-Horinek. Show some love for the women!!

bearded_gnome 9 years ago

board's been slow here too, for ots and other reader forums and even loading some articles. wonder what's slowing down the ljworld servers? any guesses?

linux_chick 9 years ago

Wouldn't an Indian American be someone born here, but ancestry is from India? vs. Native American (ie- Graham Greene)

I work with a lot of people who consider themselves Indian American... so, what exactly do we call an American with Indian (as in from India) ancestry now?

Dangit... Cristopher Columbus and your bad sense of geography...

thunderbuns 9 years ago

I liked the Chief in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". Good movie too.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 9 years ago

Graham Greene is the best. My favorites: Thunderheart, the shaman on Northern Exposure, and the crazy guy on the Red Green show, who is always blowing things up. He does serious well, but is also a good comedian.

Linda Aikins 9 years ago

Definitely Edgar Montrose (Graham Greene). He's just a blast on Red Green (no relation).

Anthony Quinn Date of birth (location) 21 April 1915 Chihuahua, Mexico

Sorry, my Cherokee blood couldn't let that one pass :)

beatrice 9 years ago

TOB: You're slipping, my friend. I was joking because Graham Greene seemed so obvious a response. I would have expected more diverse responses from Haskell students.

Jonas: regarding the Oscars, I was appauled at how those Hollyweirdos were able to push their agenda on the rest of us during the broadcast. Really! They are so out of touch with the rest of America with those awards. I mean, the Chronicles of Narnia winning for best sound editing -- outrageous! Why didn't they just go ahead and give out an award to the 700 Club already. That is it -- I am now going to boycott Hollyweird for the rest of the day!

Linda Aikins 9 years ago

OH NO! Now you will tell me that Captain Kangaroo wasn't Australian? I need therapy.

haha sue - meatballs. You said meatballs.

I've noticed the slowness too. Thought it was me.

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

Who besides me was so greatly disappointed with "Windtalkers?" They billed that movie to be the story of how the Navajo Marines contributed so much to the war and it turned out to be some dumb Nicholas Cage action flick. How sad that was! That was 2 hours of my life I'll never get back!

Linda Endicott 9 years ago

I don't understand the question, either. Indian American makes it sound like they mean someone whose family was originally from the country of India, like saying African American.

jonas 9 years ago

Masao Maki can, in fact, be both those things. Sadly, imdb says he has not done anything else.

He'll be in every one of my movies, though.

My favorite native-american actor? Probably Turok. The way he took down those velociraptors with his industrial flame shooting bow and arrow was awesome, and his nuke gun was incredible.

. . . . wait, that might have been a video game. . . . . .

jonas 9 years ago

I have a question, in reference to some insinuations a few days ago. Does the fact that Brokeback Mountain only won a few academy awards mean that there is not really a severe pro-homosexual agenda, or does the fact that it won any at all still prove that the gays and the actors are collaborating to wreck our value systems? Are they just biding their time?

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

TOB, you just ruined it for us. Our lives are forever altered. Thanks a lot! :) Oh well, if the "Italian" got the roads cleaned up for a while...Can we now throw out meatballs? Maybe wet noodles?

bearded_gnome 9 years ago

I'm agreeing, its good to see OTS go out to the haskell campus. how 'bout more, even non-injun related questions, too and include them thar injuns, too.

silverheels was pretty good indeed.

"indian american" caught me too...somebody needed an extra shot of whiskey in his/her coffee?

am getting caught up on the stuff which I've been busy with. mrs. gnome got over the kreeping krud and I'm all better.

however, listening to the news from the central coast of CA, where I growed up, the big news: agricultural fungus epidemic in orchards fields and vinyards.

fear the fungus.

Ceallach 9 years ago

Happy to hear that you and Mrs. Gnome are feeling better.

I've been concerned for some time now that there was a fungus amongus!

Ceallach 9 years ago

sunflower_sue: as usual you are right on target ;) and they have excellent taste in friends!

Floyd Red Crow Westerman, I loved his role on Dharma & Greg. But I must also mention Jay Silverheels. Tonto didn't say much, but when he spoke they were always words of wisdom. Surely some of you younguns remember him :)

Linda Aikins 9 years ago

Yes, kemosabe. I remember Tonto! I also love the man who did the commercial and had the tear in his eye. I don't know who it was.

So a very nice calm question invites a racial discussion. Go figure.

classclown 9 years ago

Indian American or American Indian? Indian American implies a person that immigrated from or has lineage to India. Such as Mexican American, Asian American, etc.

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

Gootsie, I remember that commercial. Sure got people to stop throwing trash out of the car window for awhile. I think they need to bring it back. Every time I go for a walk along a roadway I'm amazed at all the litter. My momma would'a slapped us silly for throwing something out of the car. (But I do let the kiddies throw out their apple cores and banana peels...is that OK?) Somehow I figure produce is different...and only if it's out in the country where there is lots of heavy grass. I'd never let them do that in town.

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

I love Graham Greene...what's not to like about the cuddly-looking type? Then again, ever see Zahn McClarnon without his shirt? All I can say is "WOW!" Oh, am I being shallow? Oh well! ZM is technically Sioux and Irish. Does that count? (I hear that when Native American Tribe and Celt bloods mix they get stunningly beautiful and incredibly smart children!?!) ;o)

Grundoon Luna 9 years ago

Graham Green is good, but the man that played Wind In His Hair was great and I wish he'd get more roles. Rodney Grant I think is his name, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

bugmenot 9 years ago

No hitme, when you are the majority (white) you can't look at people as different colors, when you aren't (anything else) you can look at people however. Favorite Indian American, probably Masao Maki in Cannibal the Musical. "What, you don't belive we Indians. We have teepee's."

CheyenneWay 9 years ago

oh great! just when i figured out how to fill in the dot for Native American/Alaskan on all my tests!

/sheds tear