Previous   Next

What movie do you think deserves an Oscar?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 5, 2006

Browse the archives

“I just saw ‘Capote’ at Liberty Hall, and I loved it. It should win best actor. Philip Seymour Hoffman is so good.”

“I think Joaquin Phoenix should get best actor and Reese Witherspoon should win best actress for ‘Walk the Line.’ Having met Johnny Cash in person, I think he did a really good job.”

Capote.’ Philip Seymour Hoffman is the finest actor of our time. Not to mention that Truman Capote was one of the finest writers of his time. Everyone should read ‘In Cold Blood’ before they see the movie, though.”

“I’m going to have to say ‘Brokeback Mountain,’ but I didn’t like the fact that Hollywood made gay people the victim again. I actually thought Jake (Gyllenhaal) had a stronger character role. I’m happy that he’s getting some acknowledgment.”

Related story

Comments

lunacydetector 9 years, 4 months ago

a movie that doesn't glorify a mental illness.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 4 months ago

They put out new movies this year? I have children. 'nuf said.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 9 years, 4 months ago

Ah, the classic Lumberjack Song. I'm ashamed to admit how hard I just laughed.

chrisgladfelter 9 years, 4 months ago

Conservatives are always good for a laugh. I haven't been exposed to such rapier wit since "Hee Haw" went off the air.

Grundoon Luna 9 years, 4 months ago

thunderbuns 9 years, 4 months ago

And one more thing:

I blame this whole social-agenda-pushing--movie-being-forced-down-throats movement on the Clinton Administration.

chrisgladfelter 9 years, 4 months ago

Bulls-eye, Gareth.

I'm waiting for a conservative to blame this whole social-agenda-pushing--movie-being-forced-down-throats movement on the Clinton Administration.

thunderbuns 9 years, 4 months ago

Ann Coulter -- a Goddess of our times --- speaks out on the Oscars. I love every word:

killjoy 9 years, 4 months ago

just for the record, the quote of monty was meant for amusement, not for insulting others.

I'm going outside to cut some wood now...after I pick out something to wear ;)

Staci Dark Simpson 9 years, 4 months ago

Saw Walk the Line yesterday, what an awesome flick!! Good movie. I also loved Crash, it made me realize how bad I stereotype people. You should see both of those movies, they are so worth it. I also watched American Pie Band Camp this weekend, definitely not an Oscar flick but some disgustingly funny laughs for us Nascar watching, red meat eating, Bud drinking redneck types.

beatrice 9 years, 4 months ago

chrisgladfelter 9 years, 4 months ago

lunacyprojector, satchel, thunderbuns.... It's too nice of a day today to be ignorant. Go outside and get some fresh air.

thunderbuns 9 years, 4 months ago

chrisgladfelter 9 years, 4 months ago

james bush 9 years, 4 months ago

Hey, go watch PBS, ch 11 in Topeka......Great talent, real talent, gay or straight, at least it's REAL TALENT, not a bunch of wannabes with a video recorder with an agenda.

Grundoon Luna 9 years, 4 months ago

Gareth Skarka 9 years, 4 months ago

You've gotta love all the right-wingers who always love to complain and criticize "Hollyweird" and their "social agenda"....

...and yet still go see all of the brain-dead action-packed blockbuster mind-candy that comes out...even thought it's produced by the horrible nasty liberals in "Hollyweird."

You whine and bitch, but you still consume. Yet another example of conservative hypocracy.

beatrice 9 years, 4 months ago

tb: Making pre-emptive attacks now, are we? -- obviously you do care.

I haven't seen it yet, but I hope Brokeback Mountain wins just because I know it will drive so many homophobes crazy. Question for those likening homosexuality with mental illness -- how good does it feel to know that you have a similar world view as Fred Phelps?

thunderbuns 9 years, 4 months ago

thunderbuns 9 years, 4 months ago

Whoa! Axed again!! And I took a few down with me too!! Sorry 'bout that! I didn't get to read the ones that got sliced n diced. Sorry Bea!

Hey, you wanna see a good cowboy movie with great outdoor scenery AND a good story?? See "The Horse Whisperer". Forget that other "cowboy" movie Hollyweird is tryin' to push down our throats.

Okay L J W, is this tame enough for you?

badger 9 years, 4 months ago

I think that a film that pushes social boundaries ought to get a little more attention. Sometimes a filmmaker really cares passionately about something, and puts out a film, not because he intends it to make a lot of money or win a lot of awards, but because he believes the subject matter deserves serious attention.

Now, often when that happens, those in the mainstream who disagree with the ideas, and those whose politics or religious obligations prevent them from considering an alternate worldview, react with scorn and criticism, with derision and anger.

I think, though, that if a movie is well-made, and honest, and addresses commonly held social beliefs by questioning them, it deserves attention and accolades.

So, yeah, I'd really like to see 'Munich' win some awards.

satchel 9 years, 4 months ago

Brokeback mountain will sweep the oscars, but great movies won't. It is a shame that Hollywierd is so hell bent on pushing their social agenda. They are so out of touch with the mainstream.

Grundoon Luna 9 years, 4 months ago

I dont kow who deserves the Oscar as I haven't seen or any of these movies yet - I, too, have children. Don't know if I really want to see Brokeback. I like my gay movies to be more, well, gay. Yes, drag queens, I want drag queens!! To Wong Fu, Priscilla, Hedwig, Birdcage, bring it on. I've got a bunch of gay realtives, worked in a gay bar, and though pretty wierd for a straight woman, even did a drag show myself. But in films I want a fag fillms with fluff. What does this say about my view? I am looking at homosexuals with a pretty one dimentional view, while in a different way than the posters who vehemently oppose such entertainment, we are both looking at this film in a one dimentional way all the same. In sprite of the fact that I know a wole lot of gays very well and know how one dimensional they are not. As much as some people try to attest, people are not defined by their sexual orientation. That is one thing about who they are. So my point is that perhaps Brokeback may not be so much about sex? Maybe be is a powerful message about friendship and love? Hmmmmm . . . Yessir, I think I'll go see it.

Mental illness my @$$!! Lunacy detection must be a self test.

thunderbuns 9 years, 4 months ago

satchel & lunacydetector: right you are!

Hollyweird will jump on the back of that gay cowboy movie and ride it til the morning comes........

Sad really.

Walk the Line is an excellent movie. I've never been a Johnny Cash fan but after seeing that movie, he's pretty good! It gets my vote!

derf: Oscar's last name: Meyer. Cuz he's a weenie........

Mario looks like Peter Sellers dressed up in one of Professor Balls' disguises......

Bea & K_P: advance notice: I don't care what you think.

killjoy 9 years, 4 months ago

I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay... I sleep all night. I work all day.

Mounties : He's a lumberjack, and he's okay. He sleeps all night and he works all day.

I cut down trees. I eat my lunch. I go to the lavatory. On Wednesdays I go shoppin' And have buttered scones for tea.

Mounties: He cuts down trees. He eats his lunch. He goes to the lavatory. On Wednesdays he goes shopping And has buttered scones for tea.

Chorus : I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay. I sleep all night and I work all day.

I cut down trees. I skip and jump. I like to press wild flowers. I put on women's clothing And hang around in bars.

Mounties : He cuts down trees. He skips and jumps. He likes to press wild flowers. He puts on women's clothing And hangs around in bars?!

Chorus : I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay. I sleep all night and I work all day.

I cut down trees. I wear high heels, Suspendies, and a bra. I wish I'd been a girlie, Just like my dear Mama.

Mounties : He cuts down trees. He wears high heels, Suspendies, and a bra?!

Chorus : I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay. I sleep all night and I work all day.

Yes, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm ok-a-y. I sleep all night and I work all day.

-Monty Python's Flying Circus

badger 9 years, 4 months ago

Y'know, not to antagonize, but 'Hollyweird' puts out a lot more films each year written for the NASCAR-watching, Miller-drinking, red-state stereotypes than it does promoting that darn gay agenda. OK, we have one gay cowboy movie. Let's look at the balance, here:

How many vapid and insipid 'chick flicks'? How many horrid 'buddy movies'? How many movies composed of nothing more than sweaty flesh (both male and female) and inane one-liners wedged between explosions and car chases? How many gross-out fests full of fart jokes and bathroom humor? How many badly-scripted and poorly-acted movies which have nothing more to recommend them than a bunch of cute precocious children and some wacky pets? How many bland and suspenseless 'horror flicks' relying on decades-old plot twists with new technology and more gore? How many more movies will Lindsey Lohan be allowed to make?

In short, we're all going to think something sucks. And for every movie that makes my skin crawl by its very existence, there is a fanbase.

For some people, 'Brokeback Mountain' is the ultimate affront Hollywood could perpetuate upon the sensibilities of decent people. For me, that honor goes to the dual facts that there are THREE chapters to the 'American Pie' franchise and that the people who made 'Dumb and Dumber' haven't been horsewhipped by anyone.

But I don't picket lowbrow movies and insist that the Stupid Menace is forcing its agenda of wilful ignorance, destroying the intellectual fabric of this society. I just choose not to watch it, and when people talk about how much they like it, I respond with a sincere answer about the movie itself and why I didn't like it, not its politics or what some pundit thinks about it. I just say, "I thought it was kind of stupid, and I didn't think it was funny."

The Academy Awards are supposed to be about films that were well-made and thought-provoking, not about films that were popular. Generally, if I'm going to a movie for fun, chances are it has a lot more explosions than meaningful dialogue. But if I am in the mood to think about things, then I generally use the Academy Award nominations as a guide to help find a good 'serious' movie that I may not agree with, but that I know will cause me to consider why I don't agree with it.

kansas_prairieland 9 years, 4 months ago

I don't know if I would classify Brokeback Mountain as "the hottest seller". The gate receipts just aren't there. Critically acclaimed, yes....."blockbuster", no.

Now having said that.......please don't lump me in with Thunderbuns. Thunderbuns is a childish flamer on this site......nothing more.