Previous   Next

What would be a good thing to give up for Lent?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 4, 2006

Browse the archives

TV, because most everyone watches TV, and it’s kind of a distraction for some people.”

“Cursing. I think it would create a more friendly atmosphere for everyone because a lot of people tend to swear in public.”

“They should give up driving. They should walk or use public transportation. Especially in a small town like this.”

“Junk food. They would be more healthy and more in tune with their body.”

Comments

thunderbuns 8 years, 5 months ago

kansas_praireland, we be bad!!!!!!!!

thunderbuns 8 years, 5 months ago

Answering Saturday OTS questions.........

beatrice 8 years, 5 months ago

For you, sun_sue, two tears and a quivery chin:

o o ' ' __ ~

kansas_prairieland 8 years, 5 months ago

Ummm, no. Not "we".........."you", my friend. You missed what I said earlier.

TheEleventhStephanie 8 years, 5 months ago

errrr I know, I mean sugar except what's in my bottle. :)

thunderbuns 8 years, 5 months ago

2 days in a row I get canned by the LJW! Top that will ya!! Oh Humpfff !

back. large hill.

K_Prairie: yep, I missed what ya said. Say again please. But clean it up!!!!

ms_canada 8 years, 5 months ago

Gee, derf, be sure and let us know if you succeed in giving up Catholicism. That would be mighty difficult for you, I would imagine.

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 5 months ago

Yow! Tells us how you really feel, Bea! Really, though, you go, girl!

I guess I was never really Catholic since I never had a Confirmation, unlike my older siblings. I've never had communion either, which I think requires confirmation. So I guess I don't have to give up anything. Though I can appreciate the gesture of sacrifice - in my current path it is expressed through occassion fasting.

kansas_prairieland 8 years, 5 months ago

thunderbuns 8 years, 5 months ago

thunderbuns 8 years, 5 months ago

Ember 8 years, 5 months ago

I gave up Catholicism back in junior high and have yet to regret removing that crutch of nonsense and self limiting idiocy.

In other words, I gave up Lent for Lent.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 5 months ago

You can buy a Life! Look in the cereal aisle! Then you can spend all day here AND have a life. It's a miracle!!

Ditto what MD said, derf. Don't apologize. Just tell MD and me that everything we say is incredibly brilliant and you can post whenever you want!

TheEleventhStephanie 8 years, 5 months ago

I quit smoking 2 months ago and don't eat sugar. Hail Mary, please don't make me give up my bourbon. I won't use a mixer until Easter.

J Good Good 8 years, 5 months ago

How do you give up coffee and remain functional? I get the worst splitting headache in the world....

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

hitme, Oh boy, do I have a life! Sometimes, this board is the only thing that keeps me sane because of all the "life" I have. Thanks for your concern, though. Truly!

I gave up something for Lent today. Not being Catholic, that was huge! I went to Ben & Jerry's new store downtown to check it out and tried a sample of "Chocolate Therapy!!!" O'mgosh! I wanted a super delux triple waffle thingie of it so bad, but instead, I had a boring decaf Latte made with skim milk. Someone cry for me. Please, just one tear. AGGGGGHHHHHH! What did I do? WHAAAAT DID I DOOOOOOO?

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

Celt or Kelt, it's all good :) You know the Eirish, we never do anything just one way

Gootsie forgot to add that one important thing to remember when posting -- whenever possible you should begin your post with, "I agree with Ceallach." It's a small rule, but good one.

I didn't make it to Wally World today -- there another little secret -- you have to be tolerant on the board. Some of the members practice Walmartism. They scorn anything connected with Wal-Mart. But as long as WM continues to have the lowest prices, this one will go and buy :)

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

I went out this morning to get a life. It was rainy and cold so I decided to come home and check out the OTS board :)

I actually did give up Catholicism (not Christianity) several decades ago. However, during Lent I still give up something, not because I have to, just in remembrance of the passion of the Christ prior to His crucifixion. I usually give up something I already know is bad for me :) This year it is potatoes. Doesn't sound like much to many people, but for a Celt, well, potatoes mean a lot :)

btw, hitme: people can have a life and still read and interact with other posters on the board.

Fatty_McButterpants 8 years, 5 months ago

Alcohol. People drink and get into fights. People drink and drive. Some people who drink and drive kill other people. People who drink get the munchies and get fat from eating too much pizza. Give up alcohol my friends. Give up alcohol.

badger 8 years, 5 months ago

I like the concept of giving something up. Every January, my SO gives up both soda and booze, to sort of 'reset' the habits built up during the holiday season.

Once a year or so, I stop drinking coffee for a few weeks, when it starts to all taste the same to me. If I take a sip of Folger's and think, "Hey, that's not bad," I know it's time to take a break. I switch to tea, or herbal tea, or even warm water with lemon. A couple of weeks later, I'm back to being able to tell Mexican from Kenyan by smell, and back to really appreciating it.

Deliberately depriving yourself of something you enjoy for a finite period of time can make you more appreciative of the things you have in general. I don't so much see that it will make you a 'better' spiritual person, but it is kind of interesting to see how much you want to get back something you 'gave up'. I 'gave up' television as an experiment some years ago (my TV broke, and because I was short on funds I decided to wait until I really felt the lack of one in my life to buy one), and I haven't actually wanted one since.

beatrice 8 years, 5 months ago

For Lent, I'm giving up depriving myself of anything.

tb: oh that joke about Brokeback Mountain! My gosh, you are such a comic genius, I don't know why you waste your time posting here instead of moving to Hollywood to write sitcoms. Really. So funny. I mean, how did you ever come up with the idea of combining those words "fudge" and "pack" in response to a movie about a homosexual relationship. Who else but a pure comic genius could think of such a thing? Oh sure, some might think it terribly juvenille, and liken your humor to something a sixth grader might write on a bathroom wall, or find it to be just homophobic bigotry, but they just wouldn't see how you are actually making a sophisticated, post-modern statement about socio-political stereotypes that cuts through the veneer of polite response regarding diverse issues to find the humor at the very heart of the subject.

And to post it both yesterday AND today. Wow. Genius. Um, really.

enochville 8 years, 5 months ago

Being that I am not Catholic, I will not be giving anything up for it. It is not really for me to say what others should sacrifice. I try to live a good, clean life all the time and on the first Sunday of each month I fast for 24 hours and then give a donation to help those that struggling financially. I find that fasting helps me to focus spiritually and gives me more strength of will to help me overcome my weaknesses.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 8 years, 5 months ago

As a recovering Catholic, I've decided to give up asceticism for Lent.

good_kitty 8 years, 5 months ago

I like what Jeffery said. Give up the cars but how about forever. Ahhh, dare I dream of a city that has no cars. Everybody either travels by way of foot, bicycle, roller blades, public transportation, etc. Think of how we all would become better aquainted with each other and the beautiful clean air we would all breathe. SUPPORT UTOPIAN SOCIETY BAN AUTOMOBILES WITHIN CITY LIMITS!!!!!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

Fatty Mc, I never get into fights while drinking (it would cause me to spill my drink). I NEVER drink and drive (it would also cause me to spill my drink...and it's just not right). Childbirth mad me slightly overweight...not alcohol (although according to those charts, I'm not overweight.) Give up alcohol? I think not!

Happy rain day everyone! Canyon Wren, hope you're getting some rain at some point, too.

kansas_prairieland 8 years, 5 months ago

Okay, so Ash Wednesday was three days ago....and the LJ World is just getting around to asking this question?

I guess if I give up anything for Lent....it'll probably be watching the Academy Awards. Waaaaaay too self-absorbed. And, yeah, "Brokeback" will clean up, for sure. And then over the next year or so there will be one gay love story movie after another hitting the theatres. Hollywood will want to ride the "gay love story wave" (however real or imagined) in the wake of "Brokeback", I'm sure.

But ya know, personally, I can only bear to watch those slappy, silly gay-themed comedy-type movies that have someone like Robin Williams in it.

.....But that's just me.