Previous   Next

Have you been following the World Cup?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 22, 2006

Browse the archives

“Yes, we just came from watching the Argentina and Netherlands match. It was disappointing. Netherlands were not playing as good as they were, but Argentina was in good form. It will be interesting to see how the second round goes.”

“No, not really. Soccer just isn’t my thing, but I’m still rooting for the U.S. to win.”

“Kind of. I catch a game when I can. I want Brazil to win.”

“Yes. The best game was the U.S. and Italy. The USA was lazy, and Italia won it on the pitch, but the score says different. Right now, I think Sweden or Germany will take it.”

Comments

jonas 7 years, 10 months ago

See, the problem is. . . .I don't know how to sleep when my wife's out of town.

Time to party, I guess. . . . . .. . .

JLoh21 7 years, 10 months ago

Soccer sucks. I is a whiners game.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 10 months ago

Ms_C, maybe if they wore kilts...in the traditional way! ;)

ms_canada 7 years, 10 months ago

Hey Bob - yeh it is really all a big joke. I guess it is really stupid to get me knickers in a knot about it. I think I am not too too serious.. And true the announcers are hilarious sometimes with the names. I guess it's the way of the world. I am home from my wee holiday to B.C. wow if you guys want to see some gorgeous scenery, just drive through the Rockie Mountains and the valleys. It can't be beat. It is really lush this year as we have had some rain and the trees all look so healthy. I am somewhat sorry that my daughter is moving back to flat old Alberta again as now I will not have such a big excuse for driving down there.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 10 months ago

Hey Canada - I was 1/2 joking with that post. I guess my point was now that I'm in my 30s, it'd take a lot of geography lessons to catch up with real names. Also, I thought it was funny the guy used Italy and Italia in the same statement. At least pick one.

Also, I watched the last game ... it was very exciting in the last 1/2 of the 3rd period as you could sense the urgency.

ms_canada 7 years, 10 months ago

Oh and yes, definitely I have been following the FIFA World Cup. I love soccer. But it is not quite as exciting as hockey but, oh my, those fellows in their shorts sure are worth watching. Sue, you agree????

ms_canada 7 years, 10 months ago

TOB - this pronunciation of the names of countries, sorry to say, just happens to be one of my biggest pet peeves. I really don't understand why we have to change the names of countries to a different language. Italia is not so hard, but I do admit that some are. But simple ones.......... come on now. Cities within countries may be tough but surely we could learn to say Espana (with the little thingy over the n) why do we have to call it Spain. And of course that goes for other countries calling USA Los Estados Unidos, as Mexico does etc. Sorry but it really bugs me. And HITME how dare you say that hockey is boring, it is totally exciting. Now, basketball, oh hummmmmmmm.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 10 months ago

TOB, Maybe he followed the world cup and got lost.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 10 months ago

Since nothing else is going on... anyone know what happened to Badger?

Jayhawk226 7 years, 10 months ago

I think I just heard a cheer from the entire world...

...the US is heading home and leaving Europe.

Elvis has left the building folks!

nowandthen 7 years, 10 months ago

Well, I'd say the US is done....

sgtwolverine 7 years, 10 months ago

Of course, when he stops calling so strictly, then he just confuses everybody.

The red cards make a bit more sense now, thanks. Though the third one still bothers me. But that's just my bigger problem with the card thing. It's so drastic. Not just an ejection, but the team then playing short, and that player gone for the next game. I think it's way too much. That level of punishment should be a lot harder to reach, or red cards should not have that level of punishment.

Hitme, if you want a sport with distractions, go to a professional basketball game. They play music and other sounds DURING action. Hockey and the other sports have the good sense to stop everything during play.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 10 months ago

The US scored 2 goals in 250 minutes of play (only one with their own feet as previously posted). Now they need 2 goals in 20 minutes. Not looking good.

Jayhawk226 7 years, 10 months ago

sue--

Get on ESPN now. About 20 minutes left in the match. US needs 2 goals at the moment.

hitme 7 years, 10 months ago

rockchalkjayhawk,

I watched part of it - much too boring. Have you ever been to a professional game? That is insufferable; by the third period, I'm ready to scream. They have to build in contests and distractions to keep people there and the only thing that gets people on their feet are the fights. Try taking a kid to a game and see how bored they are. The kids are more interested in the zamboni. Truly pathetic. I loved playing both Soccer and Hockey as a kid, but the only way I'll go to a game is if the tickets are free. Glad you enjoyed it, but give me American football.

Das_Ubermime 7 years, 10 months ago

I completely agree with both beefs. The person with whom I was watching the game mentioned durign the early going that the ref would either think he was doing a good job and continue calling strictly, or realize at half what an idiot he was being and stop calling it so strictly in the second...

Yeah, they were all justifiable. Pablo Mastroeni was ejected for a late two-footed slide. A two-footed slide is harder to control and is much more likely to seriously injure another player. If you watch replays, Mastroeni came in late and could have easily broken the italian player's ankle.

The other red card was given because Eddie Pope had already accumulated two yellow cards in the match. While I would rather see such instances given verbal warnings rather than immediate cards, the refs in this WC seem to have been encouraged by FIFA to be a bit looser with the yellow (as is evidenced by the LARGE amount of yellows given in '06).

sgtwolverine 7 years, 10 months ago

My biggest beef, Das, was that it seemed that he called the game as strict as possible early and then relaxed later. The fact that he destroyed the flow of the game is my second-biggest beef.

As far as the red cards, it made perfect sense on the elbow to the face. But he gave out three. Were they all fully justifiable?

Das_Ubermime 7 years, 10 months ago

The ref for the USA vs. Italy match was technically within his responsibilities as soccer, much like most sports, allows the referees some discretion with their calls. What most people have a beef with was that the ref decided to be too strict, and in the process dismantled the flow of the game (much like refs who call basketball games to closely). Red cards necessitate ejections as they are meant to control dangerous play that could seriously injure the players on the field (much like DeRosso elbowing McBride in the face). A good example of how dangerous play can seriously injure people is when a brazilian player (Leonardo, I think) eblowed Tab Ramos (US) in a roud of 16 match during WC '94. The elbow resulted in Ramos's face being broken (cheekbone) and the brazilian player being ejected.

Oh, and to answer the question, I've been following WCs since 94, so... yes. Highly entertaining (as long as you understand what is going on), even if I now have an addiction to blow...

sgtwolverine 7 years, 10 months ago

From the commentary I'm seeing, the penalty kick came on a bit of a phantom foul.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 10 months ago

We get some life with a goal, and then it goes right back. Frustrating. Well, maybe scoring the goal will open the door for more.

Jayhawk226 7 years, 10 months ago

GOAL GOAL GOAL GOAL GOAL GOAL USA USA USA USA

Jayhawk226 7 years, 10 months ago

Considering the US hasn't even scored a goal, with their own feet, this entire World Cup...

...not looking good!

Italy has a 1-0 lead over Czech Republic.

US can only advance today if both the US and Italy win outright, not tie.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 10 months ago

So, it's damn near impossible to score 2 goals in soccer right?

Jayhawk226 7 years, 10 months ago

Not looking good at all now that Ghana has scored...I'll try to have hope and continue watching.

Man good thing KS bought that ad space on NYC's Times Square jumbotron, to be aired during World Cup games.

It'll be a great international crowd watching soccer matches, who all have HUGE intent on heading over to Kansas!!!

sgtwolverine 7 years, 10 months ago

You know, I was watching the match on ABC and honestly, I've never heard an announcer so emphatic that the ref was just consistently bad and making lousy calls against both teams. He didn't sound like he was just being a USA homer; he criticized a number of calls on both teams, and kept saying it looked like the guy didn't know what he was doing. He also said the ref had ruined the match for everyone in the stadium. It was really something.

And you are right -- it does make sports fun. Just stressful. I even got mad at some high school baseball umps this year, and I was just photographing the team.

Jayhawk226 7 years, 10 months ago

TOB--

Thanks for that link...saves me lots of play-by-play on here!!!!

Jayhawk226 7 years, 10 months ago

You're absolutely right sgtwolv....that USA/Italy match was a joke.

And my heart/blood can barely remain stable during KU games. Not sure if I'm so partial to KU, or if the refs sometimes are just that bad.

I guess that's what makes sports kinda fun. (As long as your team is on the winning end, right?!!?)

Jayhawk226 7 years, 10 months ago

They just sang the National Anthem at the US-Ghana match....sounded pretty loud. Lots of Americans made the trip apparently.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 10 months ago

Jayhawk, that may be what the rules say, but that is not how things seemed to be working in the USA/Italy match. Hence my comments. He just seemed to be handing them out.

I should note that I feel the same way when I watch basketball. On one end there might be loads of contact and no whistle, and then on the other end a the slightest contact with the player prompts an immediate foul.

Jayhawk226 7 years, 10 months ago

Beatrice--

I hadn't finished my 2nd cup of coffee, and therefore, couldn't smile yet.

You just helped!

; )

beatrice 7 years, 10 months ago

"Could sports possibly get more boring?" Yes -- golf.

blue: funny!

No, I don't follow the World Cup. I know enough, however, to know that Brazil is the favorite to win. I'm curious if Marie could name a single Brazilian player or if she has just jumped on their yellow and green bandwagon.

Which leads to a story: President Bush is in a Cabinet meeting, when someone announces that two Brazilian troops had been killed in Iraq. Bush throws up his arms and loudly cries out, "Oh no, this is horrible!" before he drops his head onto the table and appears to be weeping. Everyone is puzzled, but the meeting continues. The President slowly lifts his head, leans over to Vice President Cheney seated next to him and whispers in his ear, "By the way, how many is a brazilian?"

Jayhawk226 7 years, 10 months ago

There are only 2 ways to get a Red Card.

1. Receive your 2nd yellow card in the match

2. Slide, tackle or move into your opponent with the cleats up, late.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 10 months ago

"At least people get thrown outta matches and sometimes injured."

Actually, the red card is the part that bothers me. It seems like such a judgment call (I could discern no real number or severity of fouls that prompted a red card -- not like six fouls or two technicals in the NBA and you're done for the day) that I think having one side play a man down (at least until the other side takes a red card) is overkill. Hockey gets it right with the power play; soccer takes it too far. That places far too much of the game in the hands of the referees.

jonas 7 years, 10 months ago

O-Bob: It threw me off a little bit when I went to Italy, trying to figure out which town was which. Florence and Firenze are not particularly similar. Venezia and Roma, not too hard.

consumer1 7 years, 10 months ago

So we don't live in North Mexico?

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 10 months ago

"Yes. The best game was the U.S. and Italy. The USA was lazy, and Italia won it on the pitch, but the score says different. "

Italia? Come on. Let's not act more cooler than we we really are. It was Italy before the tournament and it will remain after. If we are going to pronounce/spell every nation the correct way then I'm in trouble.

Jayhawk226 7 years, 10 months ago

I've actually really been enjoying the 2006 World Cup, first time I can ever say that I have gotten into it.

I have summer's off and have been able to see almost every match.

It's too bad the US Team, and others, have to play during work hours for so many others. I think many people are missing out on realizing soccer is actually a pretty cool sport.

(Beats Nascar anyway) At least people get thrown outta matches and sometimes injured.

rockchalkjayhawk 7 years, 10 months ago

hitme - obviously you did not watch the stanley cup finals this year. It was the best series ever. And there was little to no fighting. The games were close with the exception of two games. One of the games saw Edmonton up by three just to lose by 1. So next time you want to make a judgement maybe watch the series first.

jonas 7 years, 10 months ago

I was following it, but it kept leading me down dead-end dark alleys and into seedy parts of town looking for cheap blow, so I decided to let it go it's own way for awhile.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 10 months ago

I watched the USA/Italy match. It was fairly exciting despite the referees. For me as a sports fan, it was worth watching.

However, I realized two things: 1)Soccer fouls make no more sense to me than do basketball fouls. Often, they both look arbitrary to me. 2)Soccer players are every bit as whiny as other professional athletes -- perhaps even more than most. It gets old watching grown men roll around in seemingly devastating pain after almost every bit of contact and then pop right back up after a few moments, apparently having forgotten that they were supposed to be badly hurt just a moment earlier.

But like I said, it was a match worth watching for me as a sports fan.

enochville 7 years, 10 months ago

I have watched a few games on the Spanish channel, and I did watch USA vs. Italia on an English channel last Saturday.

I played soccer in high school. It is too bad that despite all the soccer kids being driven to games and practices by their soccer moms haven't built more enthusiasm for the World Cup in the US. Not even hosting the World Cup in 1994 has made much of a difference.

inmate 7 years, 10 months ago

I'm going to suggest to the warden that the guards use yellow and red cards here.

hitme 7 years, 10 months ago

I've recorded some games so that if I ever have trouble sleeping, I can watch it. Could sports possibly get more boring? Same for hockey, if there wasn't any player violence and drinking by fans, the games themselves are incredibly dull.

blue73harley 7 years, 10 months ago

I pay more attention to the Local Mug.

mert1717 7 years, 10 months ago

I haven't followed as close as I useally do. Spending time in Europe really helped me see the excitement this tournament brings.