Previous   Next

Have you been following the World Cup?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 22, 2006

Browse the archives

“Yes, we just came from watching the Argentina and Netherlands match. It was disappointing. Netherlands were not playing as good as they were, but Argentina was in good form. It will be interesting to see how the second round goes.”

“No, not really. Soccer just isn’t my thing, but I’m still rooting for the U.S. to win.”

“Kind of. I catch a game when I can. I want Brazil to win.”

“Yes. The best game was the U.S. and Italy. The USA was lazy, and Italia won it on the pitch, but the score says different. Right now, I think Sweden or Germany will take it.”

Comments

mert1717 9 years ago

I haven't followed as close as I useally do. Spending time in Europe really helped me see the excitement this tournament brings.

enochville 9 years ago

I have watched a few games on the Spanish channel, and I did watch USA vs. Italia on an English channel last Saturday.

I played soccer in high school. It is too bad that despite all the soccer kids being driven to games and practices by their soccer moms haven't built more enthusiasm for the World Cup in the US. Not even hosting the World Cup in 1994 has made much of a difference.

sgtwolverine 9 years ago

I watched the USA/Italy match. It was fairly exciting despite the referees. For me as a sports fan, it was worth watching.

However, I realized two things: 1)Soccer fouls make no more sense to me than do basketball fouls. Often, they both look arbitrary to me. 2)Soccer players are every bit as whiny as other professional athletes -- perhaps even more than most. It gets old watching grown men roll around in seemingly devastating pain after almost every bit of contact and then pop right back up after a few moments, apparently having forgotten that they were supposed to be badly hurt just a moment earlier.

But like I said, it was a match worth watching for me as a sports fan.

jonas 9 years ago

I was following it, but it kept leading me down dead-end dark alleys and into seedy parts of town looking for cheap blow, so I decided to let it go it's own way for awhile.

rockchalkjayhawk 9 years ago

hitme - obviously you did not watch the stanley cup finals this year. It was the best series ever. And there was little to no fighting. The games were close with the exception of two games. One of the games saw Edmonton up by three just to lose by 1. So next time you want to make a judgement maybe watch the series first.

Jayhawk226 9 years ago

I've actually really been enjoying the 2006 World Cup, first time I can ever say that I have gotten into it.

I have summer's off and have been able to see almost every match.

It's too bad the US Team, and others, have to play during work hours for so many others. I think many people are missing out on realizing soccer is actually a pretty cool sport.

(Beats Nascar anyway) At least people get thrown outta matches and sometimes injured.

jonas 9 years ago

O-Bob: It threw me off a little bit when I went to Italy, trying to figure out which town was which. Florence and Firenze are not particularly similar. Venezia and Roma, not too hard.

sgtwolverine 9 years ago

"At least people get thrown outta matches and sometimes injured."

Actually, the red card is the part that bothers me. It seems like such a judgment call (I could discern no real number or severity of fouls that prompted a red card -- not like six fouls or two technicals in the NBA and you're done for the day) that I think having one side play a man down (at least until the other side takes a red card) is overkill. Hockey gets it right with the power play; soccer takes it too far. That places far too much of the game in the hands of the referees.

Jayhawk226 9 years ago

There are only 2 ways to get a Red Card.

1. Receive your 2nd yellow card in the match

2. Slide, tackle or move into your opponent with the cleats up, late.

beatrice 9 years ago

"Could sports possibly get more boring?" Yes -- golf.

blue: funny!

No, I don't follow the World Cup. I know enough, however, to know that Brazil is the favorite to win. I'm curious if Marie could name a single Brazilian player or if she has just jumped on their yellow and green bandwagon.

Which leads to a story: President Bush is in a Cabinet meeting, when someone announces that two Brazilian troops had been killed in Iraq. Bush throws up his arms and loudly cries out, "Oh no, this is horrible!" before he drops his head onto the table and appears to be weeping. Everyone is puzzled, but the meeting continues. The President slowly lifts his head, leans over to Vice President Cheney seated next to him and whispers in his ear, "By the way, how many is a brazilian?"

Jayhawk226 9 years ago

Beatrice--

I hadn't finished my 2nd cup of coffee, and therefore, couldn't smile yet.

You just helped!

; )

sgtwolverine 9 years ago

Jayhawk, that may be what the rules say, but that is not how things seemed to be working in the USA/Italy match. Hence my comments. He just seemed to be handing them out.

I should note that I feel the same way when I watch basketball. On one end there might be loads of contact and no whistle, and then on the other end a the slightest contact with the player prompts an immediate foul.

Jayhawk226 9 years ago

They just sang the National Anthem at the US-Ghana match....sounded pretty loud. Lots of Americans made the trip apparently.

Jayhawk226 9 years ago

You're absolutely right sgtwolv....that USA/Italy match was a joke.

And my heart/blood can barely remain stable during KU games. Not sure if I'm so partial to KU, or if the refs sometimes are just that bad.

I guess that's what makes sports kinda fun. (As long as your team is on the winning end, right?!!?)

Jayhawk226 9 years ago

TOB--

Thanks for that link...saves me lots of play-by-play on here!!!!

sgtwolverine 9 years ago

You know, I was watching the match on ABC and honestly, I've never heard an announcer so emphatic that the ref was just consistently bad and making lousy calls against both teams. He didn't sound like he was just being a USA homer; he criticized a number of calls on both teams, and kept saying it looked like the guy didn't know what he was doing. He also said the ref had ruined the match for everyone in the stadium. It was really something.

And you are right -- it does make sports fun. Just stressful. I even got mad at some high school baseball umps this year, and I was just photographing the team.

Jayhawk226 9 years ago

Not looking good at all now that Ghana has scored...I'll try to have hope and continue watching.

Man good thing KS bought that ad space on NYC's Times Square jumbotron, to be aired during World Cup games.

It'll be a great international crowd watching soccer matches, who all have HUGE intent on heading over to Kansas!!!

Jayhawk226 9 years ago

Considering the US hasn't even scored a goal, with their own feet, this entire World Cup...

...not looking good!

Italy has a 1-0 lead over Czech Republic.

US can only advance today if both the US and Italy win outright, not tie.

Jayhawk226 9 years ago

GOAL GOAL GOAL GOAL GOAL GOAL USA USA USA USA

sgtwolverine 9 years ago

We get some life with a goal, and then it goes right back. Frustrating. Well, maybe scoring the goal will open the door for more.

sgtwolverine 9 years ago

From the commentary I'm seeing, the penalty kick came on a bit of a phantom foul.

sgtwolverine 9 years ago

My biggest beef, Das, was that it seemed that he called the game as strict as possible early and then relaxed later. The fact that he destroyed the flow of the game is my second-biggest beef.

As far as the red cards, it made perfect sense on the elbow to the face. But he gave out three. Were they all fully justifiable?

Jayhawk226 9 years ago

sue--

Get on ESPN now. About 20 minutes left in the match. US needs 2 goals at the moment.

sgtwolverine 9 years ago

Of course, when he stops calling so strictly, then he just confuses everybody.

The red cards make a bit more sense now, thanks. Though the third one still bothers me. But that's just my bigger problem with the card thing. It's so drastic. Not just an ejection, but the team then playing short, and that player gone for the next game. I think it's way too much. That level of punishment should be a lot harder to reach, or red cards should not have that level of punishment.

Hitme, if you want a sport with distractions, go to a professional basketball game. They play music and other sounds DURING action. Hockey and the other sports have the good sense to stop everything during play.

nowandthen 9 years ago

Well, I'd say the US is done....

Jayhawk226 9 years ago

I think I just heard a cheer from the entire world...

...the US is heading home and leaving Europe.

Elvis has left the building folks!

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

TOB, Maybe he followed the world cup and got lost.

ms_canada 9 years ago

TOB - this pronunciation of the names of countries, sorry to say, just happens to be one of my biggest pet peeves. I really don't understand why we have to change the names of countries to a different language. Italia is not so hard, but I do admit that some are. But simple ones.......... come on now. Cities within countries may be tough but surely we could learn to say Espana (with the little thingy over the n) why do we have to call it Spain. And of course that goes for other countries calling USA Los Estados Unidos, as Mexico does etc. Sorry but it really bugs me. And HITME how dare you say that hockey is boring, it is totally exciting. Now, basketball, oh hummmmmmmm.

ms_canada 9 years ago

Oh and yes, definitely I have been following the FIFA World Cup. I love soccer. But it is not quite as exciting as hockey but, oh my, those fellows in their shorts sure are worth watching. Sue, you agree????

ms_canada 9 years ago

Hey Bob - yeh it is really all a big joke. I guess it is really stupid to get me knickers in a knot about it. I think I am not too too serious.. And true the announcers are hilarious sometimes with the names. I guess it's the way of the world. I am home from my wee holiday to B.C. wow if you guys want to see some gorgeous scenery, just drive through the Rockie Mountains and the valleys. It can't be beat. It is really lush this year as we have had some rain and the trees all look so healthy. I am somewhat sorry that my daughter is moving back to flat old Alberta again as now I will not have such a big excuse for driving down there.

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

Ms_C, maybe if they wore kilts...in the traditional way! ;)

jonas 9 years ago

See, the problem is. . . .I don't know how to sleep when my wife's out of town.

Time to party, I guess. . . . . .. . .