Previous   Next

Do you think the public has forgotten about the struggle to recover from Hurricane Katrina?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 12, 2006

Browse the archives

“To a degree. We as Americans have very short memories. All these issues and events, like al-Zarqawi’s death, that are coming up right now are taking up a lot of media.”

“I don’t think they’ve forgotten. I just don’t think they are considering how serious it still is. I think they have gone back to worrying about their own problems because it doesn’t really affect them the way it does the people in New Orleans.”

“I think they have, but not everyone. I think Americans can be quick to forget. It’s a choice each individual can make; to listen to the information that is available or ignore it.”

“I don’t think so because of all the big hurricanes that we’ve been having lately and because of global warming we’ll be having even bigger ones. If people are forgetting, they shouldn’t be.”

Related story

Comments

sgtwolverine 8 years, 4 months ago

If the public has forgotten, it is only because the public is now fixated on the struggle to recover from the music festival.

adavid 8 years, 4 months ago

america is too busy focusing on Branjolina to care about natural disasters.

YourItalianPrincess 8 years, 4 months ago

I certainly haven't forgotten about anyone that was affected by the hurricanes. I feel for those who suffered, lost family members, and are still trying to get their lives back together.

Our little non-profit organization had had a benefit this past October for them. We are in the process of planning out next one right now. We are going to benefiting locally this year by having out benefit/fundraiser help Habitat for Humanity here in Lawrence. We will also be helping out our local pantries again. We are having our second meeting June 20th for more planning. We are looking forward to another great day of fun and helping out.

Hope everyone had a great weekend and have a fantastic day.

Ceallach 8 years, 4 months ago

I don't believe most people have forgotten. Many may feel that they have contributed what they could, and have moved on to helping others in need. The world did not stop after Katrina hit, leaving only her evacuees to be cared for. Unfortunately, man and nature continue to reek havoc on this old Earth.

crohan1978 8 years, 4 months ago

Are the people that keep bringing up global warming the same people that were talking about global cooling in the 70's?? Just curious! Funny how quickly people jump on the bandwaggon. Not too sure if I can worry about a slight temperature change difference from 100+ years ago, when the world is how old? What caused the ice age, were cavemen altering the rotation of the earth or something? C'mon people

paladin 8 years, 4 months ago

Perhaps, it is all being repressed because of the extent of the extraordinary ineptitude displayed and the enormous corruption demonstrated (which is still going on full-tilt), and the terrifying realization of how vulnerable we all are and that there is no one out there, when it comes down to it, protecting us and looking out for our welfare and the fear that, maybe, if worse comes to worse, we're on our own.

Ceallach 8 years, 4 months ago

"Vanity of vanities, all is vanity."

Pal, you're sounding kind of down this morning :-(

hagar 8 years, 4 months ago

I don't think the public has forgotten the struggle to recover from Katrina, just that we usually don't bother dwelling on the past. We don't wring our hands crying 'Woe is me' forever: we rebuild and start looking toward the future. That is our nature. Also the news media is focused on what is hot now, focusing on what will sell newspapers and gain TV audience. Hurricane Katrina is 'so last year'. In any event, almost none of the media is reporting on progress made in the past year - they are concentrating on this year's storm predictions. And to Paladin, don't cry ineptitude about the response until you check out the Federal and State laws about separations of powers and requirements for Federal response to State emergencies. There is a very good reason FEMA was late in responding, but it was never emphasized in the media.

canyon_wren 8 years, 4 months ago

I agree with Paladin to some extent. Physically, there is nothing someone like me can do, so far away. Because of what we read about the waste of donations and, as Pal says, corruption, I am reluctant to contribute to some organizations. But I definitely haven't forgotten about it, and especially not the pain of those who have nothing left--where do they begin? I know there are other tragedies happening--like folks losing their homes in tornadoes, etc.--but there's something so incmprehensible about the Katrina situation that it blows the mind. But I don't know what I, personally, can do about it. Forgetting about it is out of the question, though.

Confrontation 8 years, 4 months ago

paladin 8 years, 4 months ago

Ceallach, I am, thanks. But, I'll get over it. I always do. Up, down, round and round. People continue to disappoint me. But, so what? C'est la vie. RI-Pls. don't do that. Birkenshtocks offend my aesthetic sensibilities, granola gets caught in my throat and makes me cough and gag, and smelling the foul odor of patchouli makes me throw up. Oh well, to each his own. Do what you got to do.

paladin 8 years, 4 months ago

"L'enfer est d'autres." ~Jean-Paul Sartre

Ceallach 8 years, 4 months ago

"Only now, many of them are volunteers and out-of-town contractors on a pilgrimage for a buck."

It is really harsh to put volunteers and contractors into such a negative lump!! Many of the contractors pay dearly in many areas of their lives to go where the work needed. To say they are just there for the buck is prejudicial and often incorrect.

The coast should be rebuilt by and for those who can afford to gamble on being wiped out again. Many evacuees are just in waiting around the country, waiting for the government to rebuild the area so they can move back. The successful evacuees seem to be those who have worked at establishing a life where they were relocated.

Confrontation 8 years, 4 months ago

It's funny that my comment would be removed. Saying that a professor has a short memory is bad for some reason. Hey, she said it, I just reposted.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 4 months ago

Forgotten? No. There is just so much that American's have to worry about that there is sometimes a feeling of being spread way too thin. I think that a large portion of people (I won't fathom a guess) do what they can. So many still live paycheck to paycheck while our govt doles out to other countries in the interest of looking good while we suffer at home. So many HERE need help and there are no resources for them. My hat is off to Italian Princess and folks like her that work hard to make a difference. I could go on for hours but I'll save you all my rant. (Your welcome in advance.)

RI, Yes, I can see you in Birkenstocks and I can smell the patchouli now! Personally, I think patchouli is a real turn-on as long as it's not covering up "dirty hippie" smell.

(p.s. for anyone wondering: The $10 plan is still working like a charm...but I'm going broke!)

Ceallach 8 years, 4 months ago

s_s, would you consider adopting me? I watch very little TV and could really use the money :) ( I'm not a slacker, I would gladly help at the market . . . in the shade . . . with a chair, oh and a cold drink.) Thanks!

neopolss 8 years, 4 months ago

I think the public has forgotten what happened last week, let alone last year. Media has to focus on the next polarizing, death-grip issue that will stagnate the country, with the American public in full tow.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 4 months ago

Which is why I'm positive Jan Gentry loved having all those policemen searching cars.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 4 months ago

Ceal, do you do laundry? If so, consider yourself adopted! Since my Hubby has a tiny bit of Cherokee flowing in his veins, and I'm of the fair-skinned people, you might just pass for one of our own!:o)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 4 months ago

Richly_Ignorant Rich_Imagination Ritchous_Imbecile Ranting_Illuminator Restless_Immorality Restrained_Impiety...

this could get fun!

thanks,

sinister_slacker ;o)

Ceallach 8 years, 4 months ago

Really Important Righteously Indignant

Ceallach 8 years, 4 months ago

Won't take a compliment, eh?

How about . . . Ribald_Impudence?

Ceallach 8 years, 4 months ago

All y'all have a good night.

Manana