Previous   Next

What do you do to stay in shape during the summer?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 6, 2006

Browse the archives

“I rollerblade, bike and run with my son. I don’t get any deliberate exercise other than what I get being a mom.”

“Play with my kids. I usually work out, but we have a newborn at home, so I’ve just been trying to sleep. My 2-year-old makes for good weightlifting though.”

“I’m part of a gym, so I can run inside if it’s too hot. If it’s nice I like to run on the bike trails here in Lawrence or the ones out by the lake.”

“I mountain bike, run with my dogs, lift weights, and I coach and referee wrestling. I think knowledge has more to do with it than anything else.”

Related story

Comments

lunacydetector 8 years, 6 months ago

i walk 5 miles a day, lift weights for 2 hours 3 days a week, do 500 crunches 3 days a week. for some reason i'm still chunky but i have great endurance.

Ceallach 8 years, 6 months ago

I go for walks. If it's too hot, too early, I am forced to go to a mall to walk. Carrying bags of new "stuff" may not provide the same result as 500 crunches but can still be quite envigorating:)

sgtwolverine 8 years, 6 months ago

And Ceal, that also helps your wallet and bank account lose weight.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 6 months ago

What do I do to stay in shape? I sweat. I'm not a hot-weather person; I like fall and winter.

trinity 8 years, 6 months ago

awww inmate! :) great answer!

i'm curious as to what part of the gym hayley actually is-the bleachers? showers? basketball goal? scoreboard? ;)

i mow...and mow...and mow in the summer; otherwise, nada mucho do i do. not on purpose anyhow.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 6 months ago

Trinity, I was thinking the same thing about Hayley. I can't figure out which part she might be.

New OTS question: if you were part of a gym, what part would you be?

ms_canada 8 years, 6 months ago

About the same as in the winter,, nothing. I am extremely lazy. But, I am going to do a lot of yard work today. It is a gorgeous morning here in the north country. In fact it has been so for the last week. Hey, are you guys glad that N. Carolina beat our Edmonton Oilers last night in the first of 7 games for the Stanley Cup. Or are some of you cheering Go Oiler Go, along with me.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 6 months ago

Ms_C, I'm pulling for the Oilers. If the Hurricanes were still the Hartford Whalers, I might think about pulling for them. But maybe not, since I tend to go for the Canadian teams (except for the Wings). After all, it is hockey.

Also, hockey really is a northern thing. Dallas ... Florida ... Atlanta ... L.A. ... that just seems strange. Sort of like beach volleyball in Minnesota in December.

And I do concur with Bob: hockey's audience is pretty limited. There are a few areas where your question would elicit a much bigger response (like one of the Detroit newspaper sites), but most places aren't too concerned with the NHL. It's an extraordinarily regional game in the U.S.

paladin 8 years, 6 months ago

Prayer, fasting, penance, self-flagellation, pilgrimages, long treks in the desert, talking with burning Bushes, having visions. Oh, you mean physical? I've cut down to only a half half-gallon of icy cream, rather than a half-gallon and only one sack of the little white donuts, rather than two, per night. And chasing predators and miscreants about.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 6 months ago

I'm going to get on the mower and spend the next hour and a half mowing my lawn. By the time I get done, I'll have gained an extra pound of dust and debris that's stuck to my sweaty body, but the deer flies, ticks, and chiggers will have sucked away at least a pound of my blood so I should come out even on that score.

Ceallach 8 years, 6 months ago

sgt, that's true, so at least something is losing weight:) yet, for some reason that knowledge doesn't seem to cheer me up.

ms_canada 8 years, 6 months ago

Hey guys - I do realize that hockey is not a big thing in the US. BUT, those fans in the seats at Raleigh last night don't seem to know that. They were loud and cheery, really cheery. I almost thought the game was being played here in Ed. Maybe in about 50 years it will catch on in the south. It really is an exciting game. This from someone who would have had to be paid to watch a game. Only when my two grandsons started playing did I realize what a good game it is. Anyway, thanks to those who would cheer for the Oilers.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 6 months ago

RI, put #1 on the little mower and I was on the big mower and we got done in record time. (I did have to go back and mow a few skips.) I'm happy to say that we didn't get bit. No icky sleepy blood disease...at least not today. Now I have to shower off my pound of dirt and grit and go pick up #2. (Kid that is, not doggie doo.)

BorderRat 8 years, 6 months ago

ms-canada, been cheering for the Oilers since my AVS got knocked out. Hope they can rebound from the loss of Rollie the Goalie.

KSChick1 8 years, 6 months ago

LOL@ Sunflower. Isn't that the truth?!? It would not be that bad if it wasn't so humid. Kansas-at least it's a wet heat

hehehe

ms_canada 8 years, 6 months ago

Border rat - all too true, what are we going to do without Roloson. I felt so sorry for the replacement goalie, can't remember his name. I do believe there are some Yankee hockey fans. Yippee!!

Ken Miller 8 years, 6 months ago

I'm a NY Rangers fan. I exercise my tear ducts every year.

Other than that, I multitask. Efficiency is cool. I burn calories by jumping to conclusions and kicking the habit.

justsomewench 8 years, 6 months ago

not that this passes for exercise, but does anyone have any good tips for hunting for fireflies? the kiddo and i need an adventure, but couldn't find very many around and about.

KSChick1 8 years, 6 months ago

OOOOHHHH OOOOHHHHH raises hand

"I have a question"

Is Bob for rent? I need a good workout and it would only take about 5-10 minutes!