Previous   Next

Do you think Lawrence bars should keep a shared list of problem customers?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 3, 2006

Browse the archives

“I think so, because people get kicked out of one bar and just head on down the street to the next, especially on Mass. Street where it’s easy to barhop.”

“No, I don’t think that’s a good idea. Just because you’ve been kicked out of one bar doesn’t mean you should be banned from all of them.”

“Yes. It might cut down on some of the crime, the bar fights and whatnot.”

“Maybe they should, but only for really serious offenses.”

Related story

Comments

Mike Blur 8 years, 6 months ago

I used to work in a downtown Lawrence bar, and while a physical list didn't exist, there were a lot of individuals who were banned from a lot of bars downtown. I'd talk to bartenders in other bars, and find out the people banned from "my" place were also banned there. Also, the LPD would know about them as well. So yeah, a list would help, if it doesn't exist already.

For those of you who scream "fascism" just wait 'til you have to deal with one of these problem "customers." They're usually drunk, aggressive and packing a knife and/or handgun. Wouldn't you like to know about these individuals beforehand?

One funny story from my doorguy days--there was this one guy, I'll call him Jackie, fiftyish black gentleman who is banned from every bar on Mass St. One sultry, busy summer night, he approaches me wanting to be let in. I tell him no, you're banned. He whines, "I only have to use the bathroom!" I still tell him no, go somewhere else. He then proceeds to drop his shorts right then and there and urinate on the Mass Street sidewalk, with dozens of people walking around. Fortunately, about five seconds after he starts urinating, two police officers come around the corner. Jackie throws his arms up, and the LPD cuffs him, after he pulls his shorts up. It was hilarious, seeing Jackie standing there, shorts around his ankles, with his hands in the air, caught red handed.

paladin 8 years, 6 months ago

That story would be funnier if Jackie had whizzed on your new Nikes.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 6 months ago

come on mike....The ban list is allready in affect to a certain point, but do you really want video cameras in every bar? And how many times at the replay(or most bars) has someone pulled a knife or gun on the doorman? Not very many.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 6 months ago

Crime is almost always the work of "the few". The cops could tell you that there are half a dozen families in Lawrence that produce most of our crime (excluding, of course, the crime we import from Topeka). Mike B. is correct: a short list of the REALLY BAD ones would do a LOT to clean up the bar scene. Even if it's just a dozen names, it would make a huge difference.

The "real pros" in Vegas keep lists and they use cameras to enforce the lists.

geekin_topekan 8 years, 6 months ago

It was less than funny when he decided to contest his ticket for public drunkenness and urinating in public, as I was subpoenaed as a witness. By Jackie. Had to take three hours of work off from my day job, show up in court just to have Jackie fail to appear and a warrant issued for his arrest. ++++++ It'd been easier if youdda just let him use the restroom.

Define Problem customer? Black?check.Out of towner?check.Homeless?No,they don't drink in the bars anyway.KU?No,they just get loud,start fights,pee in the alley,puke on the sidewalk alongside the homeless. Many of the students are outoftowners.Lets just go with black for now.

killjoy 8 years, 6 months ago

I think we should post the list on the roundabouts

conservativepunker 8 years, 6 months ago

So much moral outrage. What a stitch! chuckle

jonas 8 years, 6 months ago

geekin topekan: That's rediculous. But thanks for playing the race card so quickly. Nice.

geekin_topekan 8 years, 6 months ago

well how the heck else are you gonna keep such a list? Lawrence has such a transient population anyway.Seems that only ones who aren't transient are...the bums.And most of them are booted to begin with. Goofy white guys are a dime a dozen here so,blacks would be the only trackable customers.Yes,it is absolutely,utterly rediculous.

paladin 8 years, 6 months ago

There soitainly is too much whatnot and way too many whatnots in the bars. But, aren't bars there for whatnots to do whatnot? I think there should be a list of unpleasant and suspect and strange thinking bar owners, circulated amongst bar patrons. It would help prevent whatnots from venturing into bars owned by people they wouldn't like if they knew them, and keep them from being exposed to bad vibes and whatnot, unawares.

happyone 8 years, 6 months ago

A list would be a good idea...use it like most businesses use bad check lists. Have the doorperson check ID before entering and if name is on the list you can't enter. sounds like a good idea to me :)

Purell 8 years, 6 months ago

Biometrics.....beep..beep..beep..beep..beep

H_Lecter 8 years, 6 months ago

Skip the list; it would be more fun to draw and quarter the belligerents...on a roundabout.

thunderbuns 8 years, 6 months ago

In one sense anyone who frequents a bar is a problem ---- to varying degrees. Is the world a better place with bars or without them? I say the world would be better without them, but, you be the judge. We all have our agency..........

Use it wisely.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 6 months ago

H_L, would the horses throw up from running in circles? Or would the centrifugal force send the drunks out into the yield signs, therefore getting the horse's ropes all tangled up before it was able to do enough rotations to get sick?

thunderbuns 8 years, 6 months ago

hitme:

I'm not an advocate of closing bars. Keep 'em open. Whatever. I just say don't go to 'em.

And, the last thing this world needs is a muslim state worldwide, in my humble opinion. But I say let there be muslims and a muslim religion. It's freedom of choice. It all comes down to choice.

I'm sure you'll drink to that, won't you my friend?

H_Lecter 8 years, 6 months ago

s_s, Horses..running in circles? I assume you're trying to make it more of a spectator sport. How about if we add a booth about 300 yds away where kids under 18 can pay to shoot at them with 22s too. Kids 12 and under can use BB guns from 50 ft. and archers can shoot from 100 ft. with long bows. and 200 ft with compound bows. Kids and anyone with an AARP card will get a discount. Flaming arrows can be used at night. We can't forget Tasers! Betting will be legal. Family nights on Wednesday. Ladie's night on Thurs. Good clean family entertainment you just can't beat it.

daddax98 8 years, 6 months ago

"I think you'reon to something; let's become a Muslin state and follow the example of the mideast"

I thought all the cotton ( Muslin) states were in the south. and where exactly is the mideast, since kansas is the midwest I guess the mideast would be Pennsylvania. Are you saying people in pittsburgh and hershey and philly don't know how to have a good time?

sunflower_sue 8 years, 6 months ago

H_L, You must not leave out the free licenses for the handicapped. If we're going to include everyone, we must be accessible. I know someone with their own personal round-a-bout outside of city limits. Maybe we can do it there. Let the good times roll! Do you own a horse? Nevermind, if we advertise and charge an entry fee, all the cowboys around here will be paying us to spin circles. Yee Haw! Do we need clowns? I know a lot of 'em! :)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 6 months ago

Arschloch, Thanks! I'm adding that to my collection of compliments that I started yesterday. :)

l_eustacy 8 years, 6 months ago

I think some of you are talking about natural selection. If we exclude or eliminate the bad traits in our society we improve everything for all of us. Let's use the lists and then let's incorporate some of the aforementioned ideas to keep it fun and entertaining.

BTW, The b-ball season has been to hot here at Southern Miss. the last couple of years, but I'm changing the name of the town from Hattiesburg to Hottiesburg.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 6 months ago

Milkman, now that's just sick!

Ya'll have a good one! (I've got a party to host)

trollkiller 8 years, 6 months ago

List? I think we should post their pictures too!

pooter 8 years, 6 months ago

what good is a list without mugshots and fingerprints?

better collect some dna while you're at it.

grubesteak 8 years, 6 months ago

I think customers should keep a shared list of problem bars.

Ceallach 8 years, 6 months ago

we don't need no stinkin lists!!!

Can there really be so many troublemakers that some type of list is needed? This ain't New York City for crying out loud!! While I admit I haven't spent a lot of time in the local bars lately, have things changed so much with the younger generations that they go to bars and have no inkling that rowdies may also be there? What ever happened to calling the police or just running the trouble makers off?

Is Lawrence just the whine capitol of the world, or what?? Lists -- bans -- lists -- bans ----- maybe they should rename this town Lawslistsnbans, Kansas!

Manana