Previous   Next

What type of things do you collect?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on June 2, 2006

Browse the archives

“I have a collection of seashells I found in various countries when I was on vacation in Europe.”

“Antique baby dishes. The older ones, before 1920, were just heavy porcelain plates, but the newer ones from the ‘20s to ‘50s were heavier dishes with a hot water reservoir to keep the food warm.”

“I collect Bob Marley music and posters. I also collect Nascar memorabilia. Lots of Dale Earnhardt stuff.”

“Books and music. I try not to collect a lot of things.”

Related story

Comments

geekin_topekan 8 years, 8 months ago

I used to collect police officers' business cards from when they would stop me from time to time.At least once a week.Had a whole photo album full of them. They loved it.Theyd want to see it and would laugh when they saw their colleage's in my collection.Ask what that stop was about. Don't have much of an oppurtunity to collect them anymore now that I quit drinking though.

paladin 8 years, 8 months ago

You collected DUI's? Awesome. I, also, collect chigger bites.

trinity 8 years, 8 months ago

lol, geek, great post! :)

toasters. i collect old chrome toasters. i love 'em!

jonas 8 years, 8 months ago

Toys man! I just finished reassembling my 3 foot long 2 feet tall Imperial Star Destroyer made out of 3300 lego pieces. I'm so happy, it's been 2 days and the cats haven't knocked it over this time.

rockchalkjayhawk 8 years, 8 months ago

not much of a collector but my husband collects koozies, bottle openers and fold out chairs ---- strange man

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 8 months ago

You know what the difference between a feminist and an independent woman is? A feminist wants to have balls and an independent woman just like to collecte them and show them to her friends. I've got quite the collection!

paladin 8 years, 8 months ago

Canned goods, bottled water, and ammo for the Apocalypse.

paladin 8 years, 8 months ago

A_A- Shame on you! How do you tell them all apart. Are they all similar or is each quite different? Do you name them? Or put labels on them? How do your friends react? Curiouser and curiouser.

Redzilla 8 years, 8 months ago

Collecting is a vast commercial conspiracy folks!! It's designed to simplify the "gift-giving" cycle, to encourage more buying. Okay, yes, that sounds crazy, but why is that people are always trying to figure out what you collect? They've been brainwashed. I once bought a t-shirt with a flamingo on it. Suddenly my friends and family members decided that I "collected" flamingos and for five years that was the theme of every gift I received. I finally had to have an intervention, demanding a cease-fire on the flamingo gift front. After that, they decided to make me "collect" holstein cow themed items. Oh, I collect them alright. Right in a box to take to the Salvation Army.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 8 months ago

Every time I start collecting something, people start buying the stuff for me. Then it's no longer fun and I have to get rid of it. It's all about the quest, isn't it?

Now I collect dust and eggs.

Tony Kisner 8 years, 8 months ago

Have started a collection of cash many times, seems to be misplaced currenly.

SFS your friends could certainly help with my collection.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 8 months ago

I collect snide remarks. But I don't have much room to store them, so I have to let them go a lot.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 8 months ago

On accident (or, by neccessity), tools. I got too many, now, and my garage is getting too full.

Last week I bought an edger.

beatrice 8 years, 8 months ago

paladin beat me to the dust bunny line, so I will give an honest answer -- 19th and early 20th-century stereoviews. They are fantastic, and used to be pretty cheap. Every once in a while I still find them for around a buck a piece. I think they are fascinating slices of earlier times, and some of the 3-D effects are quite remarkable. They used to be heavily collected at the turn of the 20th century, and people would look at them much like watching tv today. I keep them in a single cabinet, and whenever someone comes over they always want to take a closer look. Not too exciting, but I like them. I've also lent them to a museum before, which was cool to think my stuff was museum worthy.

We also have a pretty extensive music collection -- around 1000 cds last time we checked.

krissypoetry 8 years, 8 months ago

green dresses, I own way too many and have no idea how the collection took off. Polar bear anythings, tea kettles and any random crap I find interesting. As of late my collection has started to include guys who are nice and wonderful and are interested in me and yet I have no interest in them, quite sad really. I am looking to start collecting time, money and sleep but they are all really hard to find

Ceallach 8 years, 8 months ago

I am not an avid collector of anything. Angels and books are as close as I come to collecting. I have several "angels" around my house. I don't go shopping specifically looking for or purchasing angels (except at Christmas time when I usually give my daughters an angel of some sort with their gift).

YourItalianPrincess 8 years, 8 months ago

I have my Led Lep collection. I was introduced to this band at 15 and have collected items since then. I have the complete set of albums ( I won't ever let these go ), I have all the tapes and no the box set of cd.

I collect 1 angel ornament every Christmas for my grandma who loved angels. She passed away 6 years ago this last month in May. Collecting angels means alot to me and reminds me of her.

I also collect an African American ornament each Christmas too. I just ordered a wreath through Avon that has a beautiful African American angel sitting at the bottom. My boys' are biracial so having diversity in our house means alot to me.

Each room in our house has a theme to it. Our living room is African, I have my Italian kitchen, my oldest son's room is jungle/tigers, my youngest son's room is Star Wars, the bathroom is a California beach/ocean theme, and my room has an East Indian theme.

I guess you could say we all collect things to go with our little house.

Have an awesome Friday everyone. Its going to be a beautiful day today, the sun it out and its Friday!!!!!!!

angelofmine 8 years, 8 months ago

Cobalt blue glass, jewelry, shotglasses.

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 8 months ago

Pal, of course they are different. Are people not different. Does everyone have the same nose, eyes, skin. The Beautiful, Intelligent, Tenacious Chicks Honing Equality of the Sexes club always have given rousing applause for the slide show.

Our motto: If he didn't want me to have them, he shouldn't have offered them to me.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 8 months ago

RI, I believe it's still too early to start drinking!

Today, I've decided I'll collect compliments and/or insults. Anyone care to give me any? (I'll be e-baying the collection tomorrow so you can buy it back.)

sister 8 years, 8 months ago

krissy - your post put the BNL song in my head, "If I Had a 1,000,000 Dollars."
". . . I'd buy you a green dress, but not a real green dress, that's cruel."

I collect characters.

paladin 8 years, 8 months ago

A_A- You are makin me scairt. And sending a cold shiver up my...........spine. R_I-You don't need to drink cause I already had your share some time back, in another life, I believe.

paladin 8 years, 8 months ago

My most prized collection is my historical buffalo chips, although some of them may be cow chips. I've yet to have them all appraised.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 8 months ago

RI, what's wrong with Bubba teeth? Kissing is sooooo over-rated anyway!

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 8 months ago

Don't worry about me, pal, just think twice the next time someone asks you to drop trou. You never know when the a club gals are lurking . . .

I can't believe no one has comment on the club's acronym. . .

sgtwolverine 8 years, 8 months ago

I would collect politicians, but there are too many people who do that already.

Really, I think the only thing I might actually collect would be t-shirts. I used to wear t-shirts every day (before I got this job), so I accumulated a lot of them. I buy a shirt when I travel somewhere, and my siblings began to do the same (in fact, I'm wearing a shirt from Korea today). But I don't just collect them; I do wear them.

I think my brother has a cool collection: he collects hourglasses. He even made his own hourglass frame out of wood from trees around my parents' long-time home (where we grew up).

paladin 8 years, 8 months ago

A_A- I happen to be a "member" in good standing, slumped over actually, of the Bleeding And Suffering Til Appendages Returned from Display Society and I find your attitude not to be humorsome, one teeny weenie bit. In fact, your emasculatory propensity is quite alarming to all us suffering fools.

flames_over_the_wasteland 8 years, 8 months ago

Read today's "On the Record." I collect news briefs of Kansans having sex (and being arrested) outside. Today's the third or fourth . . .

Ceallach 8 years, 8 months ago

A_A, I didn't comment, but I did enjoy it -- tremendously!!

paladin's was quite clever as well :)

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 8 months ago

Thanks, Ceal! And yes he was indeed.

Pal, I'll see what I can do about getting a revocation of your eunuch status - even if it is a position of status and honor for certain Roman Soliders and Chinese concubine guards, I can understand your feelings - and we'll get ya Bobbitized. Unless it was the red head who got ya, she's mean and unrelenting.

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 8 months ago

yes. The romoval is a Bobbitectomy, be it the frank or the beans. We're talking about the replacement thereof.

beatrice 8 years, 8 months ago

I should collect hats -- large shade hats. We are heading to 110 degrees today here in Phoenix. Yikes.

sun_sue: sorry I wasn't there earlier to give you a compliment, so let me just say -- you are a dear. bea

Ceallach 8 years, 8 months ago

s_s: you are always a hoot!

how's that?

Ceallach 8 years, 8 months ago

Well, it's Friday, it's payday - yah hoo!! I hope all y'all have a great weekend. I seldom have the opportunity to read and enlighten others on the weekend OTS board, so don't get into enough trouble to keep you off the board on Monday -- can't wait to see how the OTS question will challenge our minds while strengthening and encouraging our spirits -- also, ms_canada should be back by then :)

p.s. here gnomy, gnomy, gnomy -- where has that silly gnome gone?

paladin 8 years, 8 months ago

A_A- How in the Big Wild Wierd World did you know about the Red Head? My Red Head? You describe her as if you know her well. And it was, indeed, herself. Was I talking in my sleep again? She was, is, truly an evil menace and a scourge of Mankind. She is the Megabeast. Uh, or is that somebody you know? There's more than one!? Oh, the Horror!

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 8 months ago

Actually, the red head is quite successful in the gathering of samples and quite the braggart! She may have lead you to believe you were her only conquest, but she's a liar too.

Jillster 8 years, 8 months ago

Souvenir pennies (the kind you get from a machine that mashes the penny into an oval with the name of the place and a picture on it). The first one I ever got was a souvenir of Frankfurt, Germany when I was living there in the late 1980s.

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 8 months ago

Then wouldn't that actually be a Pfennig, Jill?

paladin 8 years, 8 months ago

A_A- Ah, all that I know all too well. She is truly a Demon and has known many men, and taken many prizes. A pox upon her, for her soul is dark and doomed. And, woe is the Man who enters her lair, for if he comes forth again, a Man he will no longer be. He! He!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 8 months ago

Right now I'm collecting ingredients to make a 3 tiered carrot cake for the hubby's early birthday.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 8 months ago

MD, I meant to say 3 LAYER cake. But thanks for the visual. That would sure deter a lot of extra calorie consumption! :)

Are you out there Gnome??? We miss your Gnomisms! Oh well, be all stuck up. We'll still miss you.:o) Come out and play...

hottruckinmama 8 years, 8 months ago

i collect houseplants. a lot of times by accident. i've always had a little bit of a green thumb so when my family and friends have ailing houseplants they somehow find there way to my house. i'm glad a have a big sunroom.

oldfashiongirl 8 years, 8 months ago

Hi y'all,

The only thing I collect now is genealogical information on my family name, Baggett, who settled in North Carolina and Tennessee in late 1600's. I have almost 5000 persons in my computer. If there are any others out there in Kansas area, send me info via email and I'll share info with you.

Miss C, wherever you are, you Canadians must be very proud of young Finola Hackett for her almost winning the Spelling Bee. She was so personable and pleasant and had a real knowledge of English as well as other languages. When I saw she was from Edmonton, I knew you must be rooting for her-actually I was too.

justsomewench 8 years, 8 months ago

in no particular order:

good intentions, bad habits, useless facts, inside jokes, bills, flicks, and books.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 8 months ago

wench, I highly recommend you go digital with those pics!

Gotta go beddy bye. Goodnight Gnome. Kiss the Rose for me.