Previous   Next

Are you surprised a former Kansas Republican Party chairman switched parties to run with Kathleen Sebelius?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 1, 2006

Browse the archives

“Yes, I am. It’s kind of a major change for him to switch. I hadn’t been following it, so it seemed like an overnight decision. It seems like a switch of convenience for him.”

“I am surprised at that. I don’t know why any Republican would switch over to be on her side.”

“No. She’s a pretty popular governor even if she is a Democrat. It definitely doesn’t hurt her chances.”

“No. I think he just wanted to run so he switched parties. I think it will be good for her.”

Related story

Comments

Linda Aikins 9 years, 1 month ago

If anyone can get through the whole thread of "LHS Administrator won't face driver's license restrictions," I will bow to you.

Be sure to have your brown bag handy, and don't eat anything expensive first.

paladin 9 years, 1 month ago

Suggestion for an OTS question. Should there be a ban on sick, disgusting, pathetic displays of obscene interaction of a small person with his alter-ego?

paladin 9 years, 1 month ago

Another OTS question suggestion. Should bizarre, highly egoistic, but stupid, people be allowed to co-mingle in public, even if it is with their own persona?

neopolss 9 years, 1 month ago

Should the question be changed to "do I care?" Because my answer is no. I hate both parties, I hate the people that loyally contribute to the degradation of this country with their unending blind support. I hate that we as a country have allowed ourselve to be sucked into these one-side-or-the-other groups, which has stagnated us from properly dicussing issues and finding middle ground. I hate conservatives and liberals, who cling to the far wings, and have polarized the rest of the nation. I find political loyalty and radical wing extremists as bad as religious zealots and kitch words like "terrorist." It's time to end this nonsense, and for the majority to start ignoring these nuts, and return to the days of debate and discussion, and best of all, compromise.

acg 9 years, 1 month ago

Neo, you made my morning. I agree with you whole heartedly. I don't even have to say anything, you said it all for me. :)

lunacydetector 9 years, 1 month ago

looks like sebelius isn't too comfortable with her standing among kansans.

Ceallach 9 years, 1 month ago

Neo, great summation of the grip these two parties have on OUR country. I guess that makes me a radical independent :) The reason our borders are in such rotten shape is that neither party is advocating what is best for America, they are vying for the positions that will best serve their party. One crying, how can we get back in power, the other, how can we stay in power!!

Am I surprised, NO, nothing politicians do surprises me anymore. I think this demonstrates that both Sebelius and Parkinson will compromise anything to get and/or stay in power. There is a difference between political compromise and compromising your position for a political career.

beatrice 9 years, 1 month ago

No. It never surprises me when someone finally comes to their senses and does the right thing.

Okay, I just wrote that because people expect it from this "liberal nut job." Yes, I am a Democrat because I agree with far more of their core values than I do with the core values of Republicans. However, I honestly hope this move helps Kansans find some much-needed middle ground. I agree with neo (and by default, apparently, with bankboy - : ) as I too feel that both parties are more interested in the party and getting elected than in the people. This is why I hate Karl Rove above all others - (but we can save that for another day.)

But will Republicans only think of Parkinson as a traitor and refuse to work with him at the expense of the people? Will Dems always keep a cautious eye on his every move and not allow him to do his job? Will we find out that Mark and Kathleen are madly in love and have a secret love child? Stay tuned to "The Politicians Turn."

killjoy 9 years, 1 month ago

Bea, Are you feeling OK? That was very objective.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 1 month ago

Oh what a day already! We are lining up to agree with Neo! I also agree 100% with Neo. I hate the party system. Why not just vote for the best person...political parties be damned. I understand all that bobberboy stuff about a majority vote and all, but does that really work? I hate the electoral college even more. Let's do away with the electoral college and then we will actually be a country where every man (or woman) actually gets a vote. When Bush got "appointed" and not "elected" in the first go around...I've stopped being surprised by anything this country does.

Ceallach 9 years, 1 month ago

Does negative thinking nuts (not very nice btw) equal independent thinking nuts? If so, that's me!!

jonas 9 years, 1 month ago

I like political moves that out people who use the term RINO (republican in name only, if you didn't know) because then I know not to listen to them.

bobberboy: I think you misinterpreted Neo's post.

Ceallach 9 years, 1 month ago

sue, for me the problem lies with the politicians themselves. It seems to me like they tell us their positions on issues, we vote for the individual, then they let themselves be swept away by their party's line. The individual's goals are only as good as their ability to get them accomplished. The two party system does not allow for that. Like it or not, the power lies in the party.

sgtwolverine 9 years, 1 month ago

Sue, you know what they say about politics and strange bedfellows.

[Insert strange bedfellows joke here]

Janet Lowther 9 years, 1 month ago

Remember Democratic governors George and Bob Docking both started out as Republicans.

Bob was the most elected governor in Kansas history with FOUR consecutive terms.

The only thing I can think of which will stop Democratic advances in Kansas would be Hillary in '08.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 1 month ago

Ceal, well put.

sgt, what's wrong with strange bedfellows, and what does politics have to do with it? :)

sgtwolverine 9 years, 1 month ago

Thank you, Sue. You did not let me down.

gccs14r 9 years, 1 month ago

I don't think he left the Party as much as the Party left him. The Republicans have moved so far right that Buchanan is now seen as a moderate. The guy apparently had a crisis of conscience and could no longer freely associate with Fascists. I don't blame him.

jonas 9 years, 1 month ago

Ubermime: They're fine. They haven't organized yet.

beatrice 9 years, 1 month ago

The reason we are stuck in a two party system is money. Without money, alternative candidates don't stand a chance. If you can't get name recognition through multiple advertisments, how can you stand a chance? Do you think people really stop to listen to debates or learn the issues? Please. If so, then people would know that Hillary Clinton is well liked and respected by politicians on both sides of the aisle. Instead, people just nod and agree every time Bill O'Reilly or Rush Limbaugh spouts off with their spin on the news. (Can people who hate her give five good reasons that relate to her Senatorial record? Didn't think so.) This is similar to why McDonalds can be voted "Best Hamburger" in city rags like The Pitch (the Phoenix version is called New Times). It is what the most people are familiar with so that is what they select. Unless they live in Florida, where they accidently voted for Arby's roast beef sandwich.

killjoy, was that better?

sgtwolverine 9 years, 1 month ago

Bea, I'm not really sure how important it is that Hillary Clinton is liked and respected by a wide range of politicians. Politicians in general are not liked or respected by a wide range of citizens.

Ceallach 9 years, 1 month ago

bea, I think most people who dislike Hillary Clinton now didn't like her "then," and I doubt if they have 5 reasons. Most people will balk because of 1 or 2 reasons and those feelings carried over to her own political career. Regardless of the reasons, the Democratic Party will be shooting itself in the foot if Hillary is their presidential candidate next time around. They need to look beyond her coffers if they hope to defeat the yet unknown Republican candidate.

Many people who voted for President Bush did so because they felt more comfortable with him than with John Kerry. Logical or not, a lot of people pay attention to the way they "feel" and I doubt that will change.

james bush 9 years, 1 month ago

Women are colluding to start a 3rd party! I just read about it in Peggy Noonan's WSJ column on the Drudge website. It wasn't clear what she was promoting until I put it together with the Sebelius maneuver.

Then I saw the Gov of Michigan, another attractive woman getting air time on the cable news channels today.

It's clear that the women are involved in a political uprising. Why else would there be a Women's Study Department in our universities?

Seriously, Noonan's column is interesting.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 1 month ago

Ceal, I think Hillary the politician is OK. Hillary the wife is the one that I dislike. She should have done herself a favor and kicked that man to the curb! Wouldn't that have been hysterical to see all of Bill's stuff on the White House lawn? I guess that was supposed to show us her "forgiving" side??? I wonder how people would view her if she had given him the boot? She must be made of more steel than myself. I would have unholstered the .22 from the front of the lawnmower!!!

p.s. You're right about "feelings." I tend to vote that way. Oh heck, I live my life that way. (Just so dramatic and emotional.) :)

New?: Would you like Hillary better/worse if she had kicked Bill's @$$? Did she have a choice in the matter?

sgtwolverine 9 years, 1 month ago

Jim, don't be fooled -- Granholm isn't the Best Governor Ever. She got plenty of press as the first female governor of Michigan, but her performance hasn't been particularly above-average.

I never forget the statement I saw from an elementary school student during the campaign. Someone polled an elementary school class as to who they would elect, and why. One little girl proclaimed she would vote for Granhold because she's a woman. That made me chuckle. Talk about a well-reasoned vote.

Anyway, this time it looks like she'll be running against Dick DeVos, the man in charge of Amway. I think he could probably muster a small army if he wanted. And they would all be armed with laundry detergent and a variety of other household products.

And me, I'm going to vote for DeVos, because he's a man. (No, I'm not serious, but I had to say it.)

beatrice 9 years, 1 month ago

"Hillary the wife is the one that I dislike." sun_sue, I would think Bill the Husband would be the one you dislike. You probably personally know women who have been cheated on -- why blame the woman?

prospector -- yes, there is a difference. The Republicans keep giving tax cuts to the richest of the rich, and they know no limits to their spending even though the money isn't there. Democrats like to have sex in secret hallways.

bankboy119 9 years, 1 month ago

bea,

Everybody can invest, if you choose not to then it's your own fault for not getting the cuts. If nothing else, it should give you more of an incentive to do some investing because of the tax break. You can't rely on the government for everything.

omb,

Too true.

acg 9 years, 1 month ago

I kind of liked Howard Dean. I liked him even more when he got all freaky and weird and started hollering for no reason. Crazy people amuse me. Ross Perot was a crazy little ba*tard. I liked him too.

Ceallach 9 years, 1 month ago

Hmmm, the head of a gigantic pyramid scam should fit well into the political scene, eh?

bob, try to send some of that water WSW, they could use it :)

Seems to me that very few people know a lot about Hillary the politician. Any disagreements I have with her are along the political lines, but then again......I have disagreements with most politicians :) I could never run for office, it would cause too much internal stress for me. . . .always disagreeing with something I had previously voted on and then having to make up some sort of apology. . . :-\

acg 9 years, 1 month ago

What is the government if not a giant pyramid scam, ceall?

I could never be a politician because I did inhale, and am not ashamed to admit it, I'm not at all PC, and will gladly shout it from the rooftops, oh and there's that one small indiscretion that was unfortunately captured on video that one time. Ah, you gotta love the early 90's. :) Ya'll have a good day. It's too hot in my office to be here anymore.

beatrice 9 years, 1 month ago

bankboy, I believe you misunderstand me. I actually do invest, and we are rather comfortable, thank you. That has nothing to do with being against tax cuts that benefit the truly wealthy more than the average citizen when the national debt is so out of control -- during a time of war! As an American I feel it is our duty not to put the burden of our present spending on future generations -- call me crazy. Tax breaks on dividends do not help the majority of Americans -- it helps the rich. To follow that with the desire to have no taxation on estates, the so-called "death tax," no matter how large (little or no taxes on the money earned, and none as it is passed on) only leads to aristocracy. The whole process makes no fiscal sense, unless you realize the political support that tax cuts buy. Then it makes perfect sense -- for the wealthy. This is why people like Karl Rove must make such an issue of things like gay marriages. It muddies the water so people don't look at the truth.

And you can't handle the truth! (okay, that was me doing Jack.)

As far as anyone can invest - wrong. Those with extra money at the end of the month can invest. Those living hand to mouth can't. As someone once said, the time to save money is when you have some.

Ceallach 9 years, 1 month ago

Oh yeah, forgot about that "inhaling" thing. . . . .guess my political career would have been painfully short :):)

sunflower_sue 9 years, 1 month ago

Bea, I was in no way blaming Hillary for what her schmuck of a hubby did. Please don't interpret it that way. He is by far the big idiot in this scenerio. I just wonder why she didn't give him the boot. Unless, of course, she was perfectly OK with it. I know some people are and that's their business. I just like to think about how that whole "incident" has affected the way people view her. My feelings on the matter are deep seeded as my siblings all had cheating spouses and I've seen the damage done. I don't think people take marriage serious enough. I realize, after all, that it should have been none of our business in the first place...but it was made our business and so I contemplate.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 1 month ago

You know, after reading my own post, I realize that maybe I don't take marriage seriously enough because I wouldn't keep them for "worse" if the "worse" was a cheating scumbag. Hmmmmmm.... and so I contemplate.

james bush 9 years, 1 month ago

sgtwolverine, I didn't really pickup on the message the Michigan gov was promoting. But I couldn't help seeing what an attractive lady she was. Bet she'd get some guys' votes if she didn't say anything and let her husband run the state. I still find Sebelius enigmatic in her governance: she has as her Secy of Wildlife and Parks, a republican ex-gov, Mike Hayden, on her staff now. I am really beginning to think there's a conspiracy afoot.

Grundoon Luna 9 years, 1 month ago

Yo, Bankinski! Everybody can invest? Why don't you just say, "Let them eat cake?" You are as out of touch as Marie Antoinette when she made her ridiculous statement. It obviously doesn't occur to you that most people are just trying to get by and investing is a pipe dream for them, just as it didn't occur to her that if most of the French had no bread to eat they sure didn't have any freakin' cake to eat either. Elvis H. Presely! Thanks for another glaring example of why we need to get these privileged crap heads in the party that you seem to glorify so much out of our government!

Grundoon Luna 9 years, 1 month ago

Ceal, sniffing and smoking things didn't seem to hurt our current president. You should give it s shot. Before I blindly give you my vote, what are your feelings on:

Choice Evolution Stem Cell Research Iraq Legalizing Mary-ju-wanna Immigration

paladin 9 years, 1 month ago

You mean he was borned that way? Indredrable.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 1 month ago

haha paladin!

Good one Das - Rhode Island newt owners. I was stumped on RINO too.

Thanks for the the ditch cam. I love getting links to interesting sites. Makes the day pass without having to do work! ;)

Richard Heckler 9 years, 1 month ago

An opportunity presented itself to split from the Kansas Neocon Party formerly republican.