Previous   Next

Did you have a treehouse when you were younger?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 30, 2006

Browse the archives

“No. I had a little fort in the woods. My brother and I loved playing outside, so our parents built it for us as a surprise.”

“Yes, several actually. We moved about every two years, and we had one at every house we lived at. Nothing elaborate; just a few planks to make a level surface.”

“I did not. I guess I just never asked my parents for one. I just never thought about it.”

“Yes, I did. It wasn’t in one particular tree. It was kind of a deck amongst several trees. My dad’s a pretty handy guy. He built it for my sister and I as sort of a hideout.”

Related story

Comments

Kyle Neuer 8 years, 10 months ago

Yes. Three stories. Made it ourselves. Lucky we weren't mangled.

redmorgan 8 years, 10 months ago

Nope. I grew up in the desert...we didn't have any trees.

classclown 8 years, 10 months ago

I grew up in a desert. Barely knew what a tree was until I moved up to the Pacific Northwest.

southerngirl 8 years, 10 months ago

We didn't have tree houses, we just climbed trees and sat in the branches or tied ropes to the branches and played Tarzan for hours...oh, those were the days... d

justsomewench 8 years, 10 months ago

if you're being literal, solsken, i would agree, especially for children who had yards with trees and fathers with woodpiles. is it not, for all intents and purposes, still a treehouse for the kids who didn't? frauds!

Kathleen Christian 8 years, 10 months ago

NO - but my sisters and I use to play in a blackberry vine tunnel in the woods. We'd pick the berries and take them home and my mother would mash them into jam or we'd have them on top of ice cream. Those were the best days.

justsomewench 8 years, 10 months ago

yes! it was a wonderful 2-story, 2-patio'd gig on stilts built by my father and grandfather.

my big brothers would even let me use it once the wasps had nested inside every year.

needless to say, it was very enjoyable...to look at.

weeslicket 8 years, 10 months ago

silly me. here all this time i thought a treehouse (tho i called it a treefort) was something you and your pals just went out and made. we all knew where the boards and hammer and nails were. plus a really good tree. giddy-up! (i don't recall asking permission to do this, but may have. i am certain mom and dad, and others, kept a lookout on all this.)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

I had a "stilt" house when I was a kid. Complete with slide. It was awesome. Very small but just the right size for my sis and me to spend many hours there. The brothers were "too grown up" for it so it was all ours!

Now, We have a pretty cool treehouse. I told the hubby it needed to be about 4 feet square and somehow (using male calculations) it ended up being about 12 feet square with a deck on two sides, a trap door, and a rope bridge that you can cross from the house deck if you're too lazy to climb the tree. The girls have slept in there a few times since the hubby installed the locking dutch door. (Every girl's dream!)

badger 8 years, 10 months ago

No treehouse, but full run of the 2+ acres made up of my yard, the yards of my two best friends, and the empty lot next door. We lived in a neighborhood being developed, so there were empty lots to play in, and after the workers went home for the day we'd hang out in the houses being built and look around. Once doors were on and locked, we couldn't get in, but it can be lots of fun to just hang with your best buds on the second story of a framed-in house and watch the sun set.

When I was about 11, one of the neighborhood boys we didn't hang out with (because he was a little hoodlum from about age 8 on...) started getting into the houses and tearing stuff up, so the cops would chase you out if they caught you there, and we had to go sit on the split-rail fence and watch cars go by instead.