Previous   Next

What is your favorite food at the Douglas County Fair?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on July 29, 2006

Browse the archives

“Funnel cake. Because it’s a sweet, but you can trick yourself into thinking it’s healthy by getting the fruit topping.”

“Corn dogs dipped in chili with the processed nacho cheese.”

“Funnel cake with powdered sugar - classic funnel cake. It’s best after a corn dog.”

“Cotton candy or the big turkey legs if they have them.”

Related story

Comments

Pywacket 7 years, 8 months ago

Ha! OMB--that sounds very amusing. One question: did you mean "conger cudgeling" rather than "conger cuddling"? I can't say I'd like cuddling a dead eel, but I'd happily wallop someone with it. Especially if they stole my funnel cake.

one_more_bob 7 years, 8 months ago

Here's an event I'd like to suggest for next year's fair.

"A charity game in which people try to knock each other over with a 5ft conger eel has been banned after animal rights activists complained that it was "disrespectful" to the dead fish.

Conger cuddling has been staged annually for more than 30 years at the harbour in Lyme Regis, Dorset, as a fund-raising event for the Royal National Lifeboat Institution.

Teams stand on 6in high wooden blocks and others take it in turns to swing a 25lb eel at them. The team with the most people left standing at the end wins." http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/07/29/nconger29.xml

Dixie Jones 7 years, 8 months ago

i am fond of the lil rasins you find under the rabbit cages...mmmmmmm

sunflower_sue 7 years, 8 months ago

Iwanttosaythis has a VERY good point! I was at the fair a few years ago and the police were there to keep an eye on this guy that was just spending the whole day "watching the little kiddies." (They suspected he was a sex offender.) Please, parents, watch your children!!! Do NOT let them run around out of sight no matter how safe it seems to you.

Favorite fair food: greasy deep fried batter smothered in powdered sugar...no fruit.

boogeyman 7 years, 8 months ago

Fried kiddie fingers & baby toes

Iwanttosaythis 7 years, 8 months ago

Every sex offender in Lawrence will be there so be sure to look at the KBI Registered Offender website before you go.

Iwanttosaythis 7 years, 8 months ago

I like mayo rubbed all over my corndog

one_more_bob 7 years, 8 months ago

Snakes on a Plane!, with a side of fries.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 8 months ago

Last year they had this "german-esque" potato & sausage stuff on a big plate. It was gut-busting good.

Pywacket 7 years, 8 months ago

Kearney~ Not to mention, the sugar! Naturally, at home, the kiddies all eat steamed veggies, raw fruits, and lean, free-range meats (if not soy "meat"). So we know that all America's tubby little dumplings are getting fat from that subversive fair food every August.

Let's see... Next year we'll have food booths featuring steamed asparagus "dogs" (no butter or salt!), soy brats on whole-grain buns, processed, extruded vegetable pulp molded into "turkey legs," funnel cakes made from quinoa and sweetened with stevia extract, and, let's see... How to make healthful cotton candy..?... I know: wring all of our classic fair food memories out of our heads, extract all flavor and tradition, and spin the essence into airy, flavorless masses that can be served on cones of recycled paper pulp--and color them blue.

Just kidding... I'm all for healthful eating most of the time. But I could just see "them" deciding that the fair and its glorious heart-attack food is bad for us. Everything in moderation, I say.

Larry 7 years, 8 months ago

Hey Alix - thank you for serving your country.

12 oz drinks full of hops or do they serve those at the fair. I've never gone to the DC fair.

Kearney 7 years, 8 months ago

Well, I'm sure by this time next year all of the good foods at the fair will have been outlawed.

You know, that whole "trans fat" thing.

Pywacket 7 years, 8 months ago

Alix's reasoning is classic--I love it! To go with that cherry-topped funnel cake I would go for a brisket sandwich.

Ragingbear 7 years, 8 months ago

I don't want to sound like a (censored) or anything, but I like whipped cream on my corndog.

jonas 7 years, 8 months ago

Brad looks like Matt Stone's character in Orgasmo.

jonas 7 years, 8 months ago