Previous   Next

Should the City Commission set guidelines for the appearance of future commercial developments in Lawrence?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 25, 2006

Browse the archives

“Yeah, I think they should. If companies are going to build here, I think it should have the Lawrence look to it.”

“While I would appreciate some more creative buildings, I don’t think it’s the City Commission’s place to decide that. If they own the property, they should be able to build it and make it look however they want.”

“Yes, I certainly do. There is a subculture here in Lawrence that would surely be squashed if they let corporations do whatever they want. Lawrence is an island in the sea of Kansas, and I don’t want it to be like the rest. I drive from Topeka to Lawrence to get away from that.”

“I think they should regulate it to a point as far as the colors and the greenery, but not to the point that it discourages development.”

Related story

Comments

Napoleon_Dynomite 7 years, 9 months ago

Q: How do you tell the difference between a Muslim and a Jew? ...Oh wait...never mind...I wouldn't want to start a war.

Larry 7 years, 9 months ago

Yo momma's so fat her cereal bowl comes with a lifeguard.

Yo momma so fat when she walks past a window we lose four days of sun light.

Yo momma's so fat she had to get baptised at Sea World.

Your momma's so fat when she fell over, she rocked herself to sleep tryin to get back up again.

Your mammas so fat and stupid, when it was raining she used the freeway for a slip and slide.

OR

Q: How do you tell the difference between a liberal and a conservative? A: Easy. Watch a man drowning fifty feet offshore. The conservative will throw out 25 feet of rope and shout "swim for it!"

The liberal will toss out 50 feet of rope, drop his own end, and go off to do another good deed.

thunderbuns 7 years, 9 months ago

Your momma's so fat her shadow weighs 42 pounds.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 9 months ago

RI, thanks! I've now decided that I'm apparently old enough to require Depends. LMAO! :oD

OTSSweeper 7 years, 9 months ago

Gootsie,

There is no reply to beat that one!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 9 months ago

Miss Squalid Sue,

I in no way started, incited, instigated, awakened, inflamed, and or precipitated this ruthless venomous denigration of the sanctity of the order of motherhood.

I merely stated a personal observation.

You my dear, must alone shoulder the sole culpability for the opprobrious epithets that chased your errant salacious prevarications.

For the record... My mother did not say that I liked "cheap and trashy", no, I do believe she said.... . . "slutty"

beatrice 7 years, 9 months ago

Your momma is so fat, when she wears high heels she strikes oil. ... when she wears a red dress, the kids yell "Hey, Kool-Aid" ... after sex, your daddy roles over twice, and is still on top of her.

Oops, I mean, yes, especially in the downtown area. Have a nice, homey facade on the exterior, no matter if some giant corporate machine that is sucking money from the local economy is on the interior. In this day and age, it is all about appearances ... isn't it?

Gootsie 7 years, 9 months ago

Your mom is so strange she picked up a guy in Westport named Marion.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 9 months ago

Your Mom is so dumb she got elected to the Lawrence City Commission.

craigers 7 years, 9 months ago

Your mom's teeth are so yellow, when she smiles traffic slows down.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 9 months ago

So is NOT! It's all RI's fault! Nanny nanny boo boo! I can't hear you!

I know what I'll do, by and by... I'll eat a worm, and then I'll die. And when I'm dead, you wait and see... You'll all be sorry that you picked on me!!! :oP**

sgtwolverine 7 years, 9 months ago

And remember, this is all Sue's fault.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 9 months ago

Your mom is so fat, she IS the new library.

acg 7 years, 9 months ago

You guys kill me. Your momma is so fat, she jumped up and got stuck!

blue73harley 7 years, 9 months ago

Your mom is so fat, that she had to apply to the city of Lawrence for a sign variance when she wore a T-shirt with logo.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 9 months ago

Your mom is so fat, they built a roundabout around her.

Kearney 7 years, 9 months ago

I guess you folks weren't aware that there's actually two OTS questions today.

Or were you?

Gootsie 7 years, 9 months ago

Your mom is so fat, when she was a kid she could only play seek.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 9 months ago

Well, blue, it might be possible, but old Harley didn't seem to revive poor GM too much, so maybe it's not such a good idea after all.

I hereby nominate Ron's idea as the best. It would also provide a fine recreational lake. A very tall recreational lake, but a fine one nonetheless.

RonBurgandy 7 years, 9 months ago

We should put up giant walls around the city, put an airtight bubble between the wall and the city and fill up the space between the giant wall and the air bubble with water and then we can have an underwater community.

blue73harley 7 years, 9 months ago

Sgt. - Since GM was able to bring back Harley Earl maybe this isn't too far-fetched.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 9 months ago

Life would be so much more interesting if the ghost of Frank Lloyd Wright set the guidelines, anyway.

jonas 7 years, 9 months ago

Really, though, shouldn't the question be changed to:

"Should THIS City Commission set guidelines for the appearance of future commercial developments in Lawrence?"

And then, I think we'd all agree, the answer should be: NO!

one_more_bob 7 years, 9 months ago

I used to know a guy that was so ugly that he had to sneak up on the bucket to get a drink of water.

Ceallach 7 years, 9 months ago

When you were born, you were so ugly . . . your mother slapped the doctor ;)

H_Lecter 7 years, 9 months ago

RI,

St. joe trashy? You mean leaving dead animals on the street of the stockyards looks bad?

I guess I was inspired by that visualization and aroma.

ms_canada 7 years, 9 months ago

If you were to do much driving around the country, I mean on an extended motor trip, you would pass through many small towns and cities. Some would impress you as having it all together. People taking pride in their town and wanting to make a good impression on visitors besides just enjoying the beauty of their own area. I have done a lot of that in my years and passed through some truly beautiful places. One such town was Ogallala, can't remember which state, could be Wyoming, or Nebraska. I just loved it. This was many years ago but it seemed to me that the people of Ogallala were of one mind and cared about the appearance of their town. I thought that was wonderful and more towns should take note. Lawrencians, be glad that some thought is going into the planning of your delightful city. I thought your city was pretty nice when I visited. I liked Mass St. Don't let it get spoiled by ugly.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 9 months ago

Sue, when the University of Iowa played Michigan in football last year, I learned that Iowa also stands for I Owe the World an Apology.

craigers 7 years, 9 months ago

Oh no, SS brought out the mama jokes. This could get ugly. You know like your mama, that even the dog doesn't want to play with her.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 9 months ago

RI, sounds like something any Ioweegan would say!

IOWA = Idiots Out Wandering Aimlessly! :oP

Besides, according to your momma, you like cheap and trashy. snicker

Noemon 7 years, 9 months ago

I don't think that it's a bad idea to have new buildings in the downtown area conform to the existing look of the place, but I don't know that I see the point for the rest of the city.

I agree that the Louisiana Purchase looks pretty cheap, by the way.

blue73harley 7 years, 9 months ago

Maybe we should have a standard look for the people of Lawrence.

Ceallach 7 years, 9 months ago

I'm still not clear on just what the Lawrence look would be. Guess it's a good thing we have a city commission willing to make such determinations for us. My guess is it the Lawrence look will be something like this.

Liberty 7 years, 9 months ago

This imay be how agenda 21 from the United Nations comes in with their regulations so beware of it. You really DON'T want any part of agenda 21.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 9 months ago

Sft - Well, you can be proud of Michigan's large supply of natural pavers.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 9 months ago

Apparently I am out of the loop about bricks. Either Michigan exhausted its natural brick fields long ago, or bricks were never native to the state. I guess we have to import all our natural bricks now, or use those newfangled synthetic bricks.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 9 months ago

It's not asking too much to expect a nice facade on a building. When they start demanding a lot of greenery for a sno cone stand, then you have gone too far.

acg 7 years, 9 months ago

Yay for OMB and Sgt. Both of you cracked me up this a.m. Sgt, don't you know about those brick fields? Man, you are behind the times. ; )

neopolss 7 years, 9 months ago

Silly Adam, don't you know that business owners in Lawrence have no say in how their business runs? Why should they have a say in how it looks?

one_more_bob 7 years, 9 months ago

A bucket on every porch and a foot in every bucket!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 9 months ago

"Planners cited the Louisiana Purchase development, 23rd and Louisiana streets, at right, as an example of a project that has used materials and color well." . . I always thought that property looked cheap and trashy.... . Reminds me of St. Joe

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 9 months ago

Sgt... There is a large supply in the vast brickfields of Eastern Kansas.

hitme 7 years, 9 months ago

the irony....how about their own appearance?

sgtwolverine 7 years, 9 months ago

Uh:

"Commercial buildings also would be required to use many more natural materials - such as brick or stone - rather than cement blocks or other manmade materials."

Bricks are natural? Do you just find them lying around in fields?

I understand what they're thinking, but I think it would be a lot more trouble than it's worth.

Marion Lynn 7 years, 9 months ago

Uh, pardon my ignorance but just what is "the Lawrence look", there Brenton?

Thanks.

Marion.

blue73harley 7 years, 9 months ago

Sure, let's make it more difficult for new businesses to come to Lawrence to further our standing as a bedroom community.

Kelly Powell 7 years, 9 months ago

What "sub-culture" would be squashed ?While I do agree there should be some effort put into making sure new buildings do not clash with their envirement, the chances are it will all be cookie cutter strip malls and crappy ,boxy business parks from now on.