Previous   Next

Would you want to take a vacation with your parents and/or grandparents?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 23, 2006

Browse the archives

“My parents really want to go to Italy, which would be great. My parents are a lot of fun, but a road trip would be a bad idea.”

“That sounds fine. I’ve been on vacation with my parents before, but not with my grandparents. I think it would be fun to go with them.”

“No. I did enough of those when I was a kid.”

“With my mom, maybe. My grandparents live in Nigeria, so I’ve only met them once, but my mom would be all right.”

Related story

Comments

Linda Aikins 8 years, 1 month ago

Go with them. They are gone too soon.

classclown 8 years, 1 month ago

"My parents really want to go to Italy, which would be great. My parents are a lot of fun, but a road trip would be a bad idea."

• Lisa Miller, homemaker, Lawrence

=======================================

Would you keep repeating "Are we there yet?"?

JHawker 8 years, 1 month ago

of course i'd go on vacation with my parents... cause it'd mean most accomodations/meals/so on are paid for.. and since we go to europe a lot - hopefully the flight is paid for too? i love traveling, no matter with whom it is.... :-)

reginafliangie 8 years, 1 month ago

I loved the family vacations as a kid, we always had a blast, of course this is when seat belt or car seats where legalized and in a station wagon it was like a mini play ground jumping from seat to seat and playing monopoly laying down in the back part, driving our parents crazy, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh good times.

reginafliangie 8 years, 1 month ago

I meant to say BEFORE car seats and seat belts were legalized.

displacedsunflower 8 years, 1 month ago

When I was living in MA, my grand-daughter visited with me for a few weeks. We climbed a mountain until the weather turned bad & we had to turn & go back down, so we made it only about 3/4 way up. She grumbled most of the way, & I said that if my dad could go all of the way to top (we went by steepest trail) at 75 yrs old, & I could go up to tip-top point, so could she as young as she was. Now, she says that it was a good thing that I made her go as far as we did, as she had the experience & memories. Also, we went out for 15-18 miles into ocean to whale-watch, & she was afraid of being out there, but she has that memory now, too. We also went to Cape Cod, & spent a night camping there, & both had a good time on that trip. Also, she talks about our trip to Boston & what we saw there.

The younger generation needs to have more tolerance in experiencing things that they don't especially think that they enjoy, & 'get into' the experience and appreciate it for what it is. People don't seem to have the tolerance for other people that they used to have when I was growing up. I liked being around older people, as they had interesting things to offer.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

My grandparents...long dead. My dad...long dead. My Mom...in a heartbeat! (Along w/ the rest of my family. They are always good for a laugh...even if some of them are "high maintenance.")

RI, surely you could suffer a week in Hawaii if it was FREE??? Maybe not.

cutny 8 years, 1 month ago

Vacation with my parents? I doubt they'd be interested or even allow it. Yeah Marion, I think we can file your latest ill-conceived missive under the category of a visual none of us needs playing through their heads. I'm sure the lucky lately is duly embarassed as well and your mom has likely been prouder. Thanks!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

RI, good idea for the fun counting game. Most things are tollerable in moderation.

justsomewench 8 years, 1 month ago

yes. both parents. we wouldn't even have to go anywhere. after 20 years of divorce, all i'd need is a bag of popcorn, a couple of controversial topics, and some protective gear and watch MENSA fly.

unfortunately, my devoutly catholic grandmothers would think that means they're reconciling, so they'd have to stay home since they can't ref objectively.

swamp_rat 8 years, 1 month ago

My family,... no problem.

The ex's family,... I'd rather have all my finger and toe nails pulled out one by one! Did it once and that was one time too many!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

OTSSweeper, Pywacket has it. WiFi is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy! Left San Fran this morning and am now in Davis. Feels just like home...102* in the shade! Ahhh.....

You had all your finger and toenails pulled out? Ouch!

swamp_rat 8 years, 1 month ago

Oops! Didn't have the nails pulled out, would rather have had, but did the vaca with the in-laws. Was extremely painful.