Previous   Next

Why do you bowl?

Asked at Royal Crest Bowling Lanes on July 17, 2006

Browse the archives

“I bowl because I enjoy it. Trying to shoot for that ultimate score. It’s a game where you don’t have to play against anybody.”

“It’s fun, and it relieves stress. It’s nice and cool inside the bowling alley, and it helps me spend more time with my family.”

“It’s a social activity. I like being social, and it gives me something to do to get out of the house. I don’t think about work, stress or money. I just think about bowling and hanging out.”

“Enjoyment. The fundamentals of bowling can be used anyplace. It’s on the level, it’s upright and it’s a real square game. You can have a 90-year-old competing against a teenager, and they might bowl the same score.”

Comments

enochville 8 years, 10 months ago

I LOVE bowling in Lawrence. It is the only place where one can bowl without being surrounded by cigareete smoke. Yea. I have relatives who have come from Raytown just so they can bowl in a smoke free environment.

My wife and I enjoy bowling because it is fun.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 10 months ago

Boogeyman, I think it would be most terrifying if they were to put fountain water in the finger holes. Horrifying! Terrible!

When will Ben Stiller make a bowling movie?

thomgreen 8 years, 10 months ago

Bowling is one of the rare sports where you can actually have more fun the worse you are. It provides an easily accessible arena for just about every skill level, from casual beer drinker to competitive bowler.

Eric Beightel 8 years, 10 months ago

I think it attracts the serious beer drinkers too.

betti81 8 years, 10 months ago

...because I can beat my sister at it.

Ceallach 8 years, 10 months ago

Just when you think it's safe to go to the OTS board in hopes of finding a serious question, "Why do you bowl?" They act as if bowling is a given in people's lives. Why would people care whether or not someone bowls? Let alone why they bowl!

Okay, I admit it, I don't bowl :- There, I've said it, I don't bowl. I don't even know why I don't bowl, I just don't.

The only things I bowl are chili, soup and other foods that won't stay on my plate :)

craigers 8 years, 10 months ago

RI, very clever. I didn't see that one coming.

I bowl because it is fun, social, and cheap on Monday and Wednesday nights. Inexpensive entertainment is always a bonus.

MomMeg 8 years, 10 months ago

R-I that is scary -- that is EXACTLY what I was thinking!!!

ms_canada 8 years, 10 months ago

OMB - don't knock morris dancing. You get to wear those really neat bells on your ankles. Now that is cool and really socially acceptable. Don't ya think? And waving the kerchiefs around, now that really gets me. Give me a morris dancer any day over a bowler,

BunE 8 years, 10 months ago

I like to take the skinheads bowling, take them bowling.

mom_of_three 8 years, 10 months ago

Don't you have to walk through the smokers who are outside smoking to get into the bowling alley?

People smoking in restaurants, bars and bowling alleys never bothered me, a non-smoker. Didn't sit close to them in restaurants or bowling alleys, and only went to the bars a few times a year.

I don't bowl too much, but I like exercise and activities in the air conditioning

Linda Aikins 8 years, 10 months ago

RonB, Kingpin. Classic.

No one can forget Randy Quaid with huge RNs.

flames_over_the_wasteland 8 years, 10 months ago

The thing is that no matter how stupid and pointless the OTS question, there are always four people willing to answer in order to have their 15 minutes of fame. OTS is the next best thing to reality TV. I wonder how many people say "no" to the reporter / camera before they find their four people.

Brent Cagle 8 years, 10 months ago

RI, that's Camper Van Beethoven, not Butthole Surfers

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

A girl has to get up pretty early to beat RI to the punch! (Get out of my head:P) I bowl because it's a lot warmer than curling.

acg 8 years, 10 months ago

BunE, you rock!! Not many folks remember old Camper Van Beethoven tunes. That's one of my personal favs. Of course, now I'm going to sing it all day so I should say, thanks a lot!!! :)

Take them bowling!!!

ms_canada 8 years, 10 months ago

Good Morning Your Bobness, sir. Yes, it is true, I love morris dancing. While wandering the twisted streets of York, Eng. my sister and I happened upon a wee square where people were preparing for a display of m. dancing. I was delighted as I had always wanted to see a live performance. It was great. What a happy coincidence!!! :o)

Linda Aikins 8 years, 10 months ago

What are the chances? We had a bowling team in a Kansas City bowling alley, and our name was the D'Broski's in honor of Fred.

ms_canada 8 years, 10 months ago

Our National Radio Station - CBC - has a program every Sunday pm. called Cross Country Checkup. Yesterday the question was, What makes you happy and what is happiness? Might I suggest to OTS personel that this would be a good topic for discussin OTS. Or do you think that we posters are not up to such a deep topic? :o)

kcwarpony 8 years, 10 months ago

Nope, I don't bowl but I was a "gutter rat" as a kid! Dad bowled every Wednesday night in the league and it was always the highlight of the week to go to the bowling alley with him and run around with the other bowlers' kids. Sure, they tried to keep us in the kids playroom but we always managed to escape. I remember the playroom had a huge mural on one wall of merry-go-round horses. We liked going from one end of the building to the other checking out what was going on at the bar, the shoe counter which was just outside the bathrooms next to the bowling lockers, watching fights break out in the pool room, all the while hoping to find a dime on the floor so we could go buy popcorn:(yup, a bag of popcorn for a dime!) only to have our parents go "Where'd you get that?:gimme some!", then having to search all over again for another dime!

Don't recall the other gutter rats' names. One older girl (bit of a tomboy) we called Moose! Shout out to Moose:Hope all is well with you and thank you for keeping us out of SERIOUS trouble back then :)

I remember Fred Broski on tv and don't we have a lot of moose here today?

kcwarpony 8 years, 10 months ago

Hey, had some good times there, too! :)

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 10 months ago

I bowl per an order of the court. Don't ask.

Steve Jacob 8 years, 10 months ago

Bowling is a dying sport. Less and less places every year.

kcwarpony 8 years, 10 months ago

Katie_Horner, Unlce Ed creeped ALL OF US OUT!!!! Yeah, he got picked up for something after leaving KC alright...child molestation...Or that was the rumor. Anyone know for sure?

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

Ms_C, I was on a bus today with a couple from Edmonton. Didn't get a chance to talk to them but I figured the odds of them knowing you were astronomical. But I bet you could be connected to them by 6 degrees or less!

BunE 8 years, 10 months ago

I promise every night at ten to tune my set to forty one to watch the "zone" and uncle ed until my body hits the bed

Purell 8 years, 10 months ago

I'd hate to see what's in Ed's closet

I thought it was every night at eleven...