Previous   Next

Do you think there needs to be a four-way stop at Baldwin Junction, the intersection of U.S. Highways 56 and 59?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 12, 2006

Browse the archives

“I think it would be a good idea to have a four-way stop there. If traffic is bad, it’s really hard to make a left. Plus it would be safer.”

“Yes. I actually used to live right past it, and I’ve seen so many wrecks out there that I think they need one to keep people from being injured or even killed.”

“I think they need to do something because it’s a very dangerous road. I guess a four-way stop is as good as anything else.”

“It would probably be wise. I’ve heard of a lot of accidents out there. I’m definitely in favor of a change, but a well-timed stoplight would be better. One that stays green on 59 until cars come from the other way.”

Related story

Comments

jonas 9 years ago

HOLY HELL, NOT A FOUR WAY STOP!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

classclown 9 years ago

Put no stop signs anywhere at the junction. Perhaps knowing that no one has to stop either direction will make everyone a bit more cautious. :P

hottruckinmama 9 years ago

i think they will probably just have a lot of people getting rear-ended.

sgtwolverine 9 years ago

I wonder if Ian installs traffic signs. Or stoplights.

You know, a real roundabout wouldn't be a bad idea.

Jeff Goodrick 9 years ago

NO there was one there before and it killed a couple of people, it needs to be a large roundabout like the one at K 7 and K 68 . That one has saved some lives

J Good Good 9 years ago

they have large roundabouts all over the world on highways, and they work well. People here just are not used to them, and apparently don't understand "yield" signs..............

Redneckgal 9 years ago

It seems like they have been moving houses and talking about the new highway for 10 years now. When are they supposed to get started on it? I live out east of Ottawa so when I have to go to Lawrence I usually go the back way up thru Le Loup and Baldwin and come out on that road there by Zarco.

trinity 9 years ago

hey gearhead, refresh my memory-when was there a roundie at the baldwin junction intersection??

YourItalianPrincess 9 years ago

Yes of course they need one. It will help with traffic and maybe there won't be as many accidents on that corner.

Topside 9 years ago

One of the dumbest questions ever!?!? I used to attend Baker University so I used the junction a lot. There needed to be something done about that intersection 10 yrs ago, let alone now. Also, why the hell has it take KDOT so long to put in four lanes. Four lanes was needed 10 yrs ago and with all the expansion I dread to think what traffic is like now. I could go off on a rant here but, I think I'll get some work done instead.

Topside 9 years ago

PS- RedneckGal, that is definitely THE way to go, but that Zarco intersection isn't much better for accidents. There have been a lot of bad ones up there too.

craigers 9 years ago

Anything to reduce the amount of accidents there. However, I liked how the article said they will put in a few stop signs to warn people of the one at the junction. I think they meant a few stop sign warning signs, but that would be pretty funny just to put some random stop signs out on that highway.

Fangorn 9 years ago

I would prefer a traffic signal, favoring traffic on US59. I think it gets the bulk of the traffic going through the intersection. Measuring this imperically should be a simple enough matter. The expense of adding an overpass would be negligible to the cost of expanding 59 to four lanes between Lawrence and Ottawa. I think that's a good idea in the long-term.

trinity 9 years ago

won't this 4-way stop be fun at maple leaf time...yikes.

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

Another impossibly freezing cold, windy day here in Sunny? San Fran. Yes, I hate to complain when most of you are wavering at 100*. Sorry.

've heard of a 3 way...but a 4 way? I don't drive that route often, but I know with the widening of the highway, they'll need to do something. I really don't like that stretch as it is now. I always get behind someone doing 50 mph. Arrrgh! I'm w/ Fangorn. Would a more effective light or an overpass not be considered?

Happy birthday to me! WaaaHooo!

sgtwolverine 9 years ago

The real question is this: what would happen if a city vehicle purchased locally got into an accident at that intersection?

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

RI, I told you to cut that brainiac stuff out. remember, it's only 7:00 where I am. Be considerate, man! I'm gonna sick some boring Victorian author on you! Better yet, I'm gonna sick some modern day "doesn't fit nicely on a self" author on you. Just for fun, I'll make her a blonde control freak in flannel and smoke jumper boots!

southerngirl 9 years ago

Happy Birthday to my fellow Crab Sue! My birthday was last Sunday. I have driven Hwy 56 many times from Baldwin to Topeka where my parents live. That intersection is extremely difficult and dangerous to cross. I'm all for a stoplight or other "traffic calming device". d

craigers 9 years ago

Sue, althought I'm sure I know where you were going with that one, a three-way stop sign would be interesting for about a day!!! Only South-bound traffic doesn't stop... play chicken anyone?

craigers 9 years ago

trinity, to be fair isn't traffic nearly standstill during Maple leaf there anyway? I remember cops had to direct traffic all over the Baldwin area due to that festival. I lived there for about 9 years so I am kind of festivaled out but my wife drags me back to look at arts and craps all day!!! Maybe I will get out of it this year with a baby due in September? :)

ljlook 9 years ago

Posted by oldenough2haveseenitall (anonymous) on July 12, 2006 at 6:52 a.m. (Suggest removal)

OMG Bowhunter! A bunch of stupid Kansas people trying to navigate a roundabout at 50 mph! Can I bring my video camara and tape the fun for America's Funniest Home Video's?

It's funny when someone calls Kansas people stupid, then proves it by not knowing how to spell the word "CAMERA".

Maybe oldenough needs to use spellcheck before calling people stupid.

Big stoopidhead...duh, huh huh.

Ceallach 9 years ago

Heeeyyy!! My birthday was last friday, 7/7, seems I'm a couple days older than southern and sue :):)

Let me understand this . . . there is already an east-west stop sign, with another sign telling them that north-south traffic does not stop . . . and yet they continue to disregard the sign. Soooooo, if north-south traffic is also given a stop sign -- that will make people from all four directions stop? If east-west people can't read and obey two signs, why would the powers that be think they will read and obey in the future? Stop lights get more attention and respect than stop signs. They could be installed in a relatively short period of time and would also get north-south drivers attention more than just a sign.

RonBurgandy 9 years ago

I am never there, but if it works then go for it.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 9 years ago

"i think they will probably just have a lot of people getting rear-ended."

Yes, but I'd rather get rear-ended than get T-boned. It's the T-bone wrecks that are killing people.

Linda Aikins 9 years ago

There's a highway roundable south of Garnett (?) going south from Lawrence. It is annoying, but seems to work.

And no, we kansas folks are NOT stoopid!!! Stop it!

Grundoon Luna 9 years ago

I'm with TOB, since there are going to be 4 lanes an overpass is in order. If the powers that be don't see the wisdom in that, they should at least go with a stop sign. A roundabout is going to be worthles since the folks in these part don't understand how to use them. At 19th and Barker I have nearly been hit 3 times in the last 2 weeks by idiots that refuse to yeild to those of us already in the roundabout. 2 didn't even look to their left to ensure no one was coming and the other looked right at me and went right on in nearly slamming in to me. Dumb@$$#$!!!

Hey Sue!! Have a Happy Brithday!! Today is also Mr. Tude's birthday. And my older son, Tude Dude, will be 22 on Sunday. My younger son, Tude-dino, is the only male in my family that is not a cancer, and barely missed being a water sign by not even a whole degree. Sorry the weather's bad for ya out there in the Bay Area. When I was there 6 weeks ago the weather was absolutely gorgeous. A bit chilly at night though.

beatrice 9 years ago

Happy birthday Sue!

I don't have anything to add to the four-way stop debate, so I won't even try.

I'm off on vacation today -- talk to y'all in about two weeks! Play nice. bea

Linda Aikins 9 years ago

Happy Birthday to Sue Happy Birthday to Sue Happy Birthday to Sue (and all y'all others) Happy Birthday to Sue

Bea, have a great VaCa! We'll want pictures.

Consumer1, a traffic light at every park. Good idea! ;)

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

RI, "shelf" New keyboards are hard for me to navigate! And, yes, I've had my latte.

Thanks for the b.day wishes, everyone. And Happy b.day to all who have had one recently. Ceal, you share a b.day w/ my #1 nephew. :0)

Later ya'll. Gotta go spring someone out of jail.:o)

trinity 9 years ago

lol, craigers-"arts&craps" show!!! took my dear ol' momma to the maple leaf one year, about 10 years ago when she was still very able to be out&about; after about an hour, she told me she was ready to go, "ya look at one booth full of wood s*&% and ya've seen 'em all!" apologies to any&everybody who might have booths at the festival, lol...

junior high slang?? i'm IN! ;)

acg 9 years ago

Hippo birdie 2 ewe Hippo birdie 2 ewe Hippo birdie deer sssuuueeeeeee Hippo birdie 2 ewe

YourItalianPrincess 9 years ago

Happy Birthday To You, Happy Birthday To You, Happy Birthday To You Sue, Happy Birthday To You!!!!!!!!!!

Hope your day is relaxing and all your birthday wishes come true.

smiles 9 years ago

Congrats to inmate and Happy Birthday to all!!

I vote for a roundabout.

jasonthesane 9 years ago

This is a temporary measure intended to reduce the number and severity of the accidents at this location. There will be a full grade-separated interchange at this junction with the new alignment of 59. Construction of the new 59 should start late next year.

craigers 9 years ago

Thanks Ceallach. I can't wait myself, but I am trying to get as much sleep now as possible.

sgtwolverine 9 years ago

No kidding, Arrr_Aye. TV has nothing on OTS.

junco_partner 9 years ago

4 way stop at that intersection - one of the the dumbest idea's I've heard this week. I posted this in the article of the front page and I'll post it here.

Someone traveling north or south on hwy 59 WILL run that stop sign and someone WILL die as a result. I sure hope I'm wrong.

Ceallach 9 years ago

omb: were your dog in the fight and traveling north or southbound on highway 59, would you want him to be required to stop? :)

I have a new older dog. Adopted her from the animal shelter last weekend (part of my bday presents to myself :). I think she would prefer to have traffic lights with a warning sign prior to the intersection.

Fangorn 9 years ago

My birthday was last week. My oldest son's was yesterday. My nephew, father-in-law, sister-in-law, and brother-in-law all celebrate birthdays this month. With all the other declared July birthdays, I must say that October must be an otherwise boring month.

acg 9 years ago

ceallach got a used dog. LOL. j/k, adopting from the shelter is awesome. I just like the phrase "used dog". Reminds me of the movie Half Baked and that's always good for a chuckle.

Linda Endicott 9 years ago

ljlook, people wouldn't be travelling the roundabout at 55 mph, gee. They would be instructed to slow down before they ever got there. The one on K-68 is in the middle of a 65 mph zone. The signs before the roundabout slow traffic down to 15 mph before they get to it.

Although, if there was no one else around to be hurt, watching an idiot trying to navigate a roundabout at 55 could be interesting.

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

I busted my charge out of jail. (Sorry inmate...maybe next time.)

Fangorn, Happy post b.day. 29 this year?

Weather is now sunny and beautiful. B.day is good. :o)

RI, I wonder what they would think of me if I showed up in the B&B kitchen wearing the bedsheet and demanding a salad? Et tu RI?

Fangorn 9 years ago

I celebrated the anniversary of my 29th birthday, s_s. I won't way which anniversary. ;)

Linda Aikins 9 years ago

Bad news, guys-- ELLICOTT CITY, MDAn estimated 300 naked women, including actresses Pamela Anderson and Shannon Elizabeth, are feared lost as the result of a tragic computer crash Monday. "One minute, they were there, and the next, they were gone," said a visibly shaken Jonathan Blauvelt, 33, the Ellicott City resident whose Power Mac G4 was the site of the disaster. "To lose so many young girls in the blink of an eye like that, it's hard to comprehend. Angelina Jolie, Anna Kournikova, the chick from Speciesit's just too much to bear." As data-recovery workers comb through the hard drive for signs of ass, Blauvelt is asking well-wishers to pray for the naked ladies' safe return.

Ceallach 9 years ago

Just don't bring anything unseemly home ;)

ms_canada 9 years ago

Belated birthday greetings to fangorn and ceallach and Happy Birthday to sue today. Be nice to yourself this day, suzy sunflower. Take your charge out for a nice meal or do they do meals at the B&B. Hello to Dorothy from Lee.

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

Thanks Ms_C. Dorothy is quite well and sends her greetings back to you.

RI, since you are in closer proximity to my hubby than I am, I doubt I'll get lucky unless a winning lottery ticket falls into my hand. And quit being mean to Toto. Those Jackson's are a weird bunch! Oh, nevermind. I guess that's Tito.

displacedsunflower 9 years ago

As I said yesterday, I think that either a 4-ways stop or a large roundabout would be all right, but I lean toward the roundabout. I drove around that roundabout south of Garnett a few weeks ago, & I think that it is too narrow. Will be going around it again in Sept.

My birthday was on the 4th. Was born in a heat wave of 100 or more for days, in Ottawa. Didn't need to put me in an incubator even tho I was early & small !

nonsmoker 9 years ago

Don't brag too much about the roundabout at 7 and 68. I always end up sitting for an endless amount of time behind some elderly (in spirit, probably not much older than me!) person who doesn't have the nerve to pull into the mess!

thunderbuns 9 years ago

A 3 way stop would make it more interesting............