Previous   Next

Should the city pay more to buy its vehicles from a local dealership?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 11, 2006

Browse the archives

“I guess it depends on how much more. If it’s just a little more and we’re helping local businesses, then yes. If we’re getting gouged by the local dealers, then I would say no.”

“I say keep it in the community. Lawrence is a community-minded type of place.”

“I think the money should go back into the local economy, but I think the dealerships should be giving the city a discount.”

“I say we pay a little more to keep it in Lawrence. It’s a great place, and if it costs a little extra to keep it thriving, I honestly don’t mind.”

Related story

Comments

sgtwolverine 8 years, 9 months ago

They hid this question today. Interesting.

lunacydetector 8 years, 9 months ago

the Progressives always say BUY LOCAL, but they haven't practiced what they preach? it's been 5 (FIVE) years and now they are kicking the idea around?

gimme a break.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for finding this Sgt!!!

Yes. Definitely. Buy locally. There's enough competition in Lawrence that the prices wouldn't be gouging, I hope.

invisible_insanity 8 years, 9 months ago

Give the Lawrence dealerships the chance to match the best bid from the KC area. If they want the buisness then they will take it. That's what I did when buying my last car and it worked out great.

conservativepunker 8 years, 9 months ago

They hid it! Oh no! CONSPIRACY!! CONSPIRACY!! oh brotherm give me a break.

craigers 8 years, 9 months ago

OTS Question is the LJWorld's treasure and sgt found it. Nice work.

Yes we should buy the vehicles locally, but he local ford dealer would have to give them a decent deal. Make a little profit but help the city keep the money in town.

Fangorn 8 years, 9 months ago

I agree with invisible_insanity: give the local dealerships the opportunity to match the best deal we can find (assuming it's not already at a local dealership, which is, I think, a pretty safe assumption). If they want the business, they can match the price. If not, why should the taxpayers fork over even more money just to keep recalcitrant car dealers happy?

(beatrice: btw, I loved your definition of "reluctantly recalcitrant"!)

abe_froman 8 years, 9 months ago

Look, the LJW were playing pirates. You found the "regular" OTS ... you found the treasurer. Good job. And of course they used the ones with the kids. Kids wearing eye patches are cute.

As for this question, it's a toss up. A real damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. People want you to buy local. But they don't want to pay for it.

Crispian Paul 8 years, 9 months ago

In the scary dungeon room in my basement.

l_eustacy 8 years, 9 months ago

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. If the car dealerships can't match or beat the price, they don't deserve the business.

beatrice 8 years, 9 months ago

Wow, the "sausage king of Chicago" is among us! Welcome, Abe.

Now, should the city pay more? Um, wait, let me think about this for a minute ... okay, I got an answer. No! (Unless the local dealer is Wal-Mart, of course.) I'm with everyone else. Give the local dealers a chance, but buy from the lowest bidder. Then again, if a local dealer is within the taxable amount of a non-local, then perhaps the taxes paid locally would be a worthwhile compensation -- as long as we are talking about new cars, and not used cars. Then it is about condition. See the very funny 1980 movie "Used Cars" and you will see why.

fangorn: glad you enjoyed that. I thought you might find it "hysterical."

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 9 months ago

This taxpayer wants the cheapest deal, period. I don't pay taxes to support local businesses as if buying a city car is a welfare program for Jim Clark! My taxes are for providing servies. As soon as that #1 purpose is lost in the politics of "buy local" or some other p.c. issue, the next thing you know, we don't have the services we need. I want efficient government. City: Buy cheap cars. Chamber of Commerce: help dealers be competitive and sell more cars. Don't confuse your respective roles.

beatrice 8 years, 9 months ago

I just clicked on the story "Imagine: Life as I know It," located on the LJWorld homepage. I figured it had to do with John Lennon, but much to my surprise accompanying the story is a picture of a bride beneath a circle with a line through it, with a cut line in large letters that reads: "please shut up about your f***ing wedding, bridezilla" Except they don't use asterisks.

So what is up with that? If any of us used profanity like that around here, they would yank us off of here faster than you can say "Extreme_Makeover." I'm not saying I'm offended, because dirty words really don't bother me. I am surprised, however, because there is a time and place for everything. So I ask, is this the site for a legit newspaper, or The Pitch? Clean up your act LJWorld!

Berserk 8 years, 9 months ago

No bid contracts are a big waste of money, everything should be done on a bidding basis, the cheapest bid is always a total joke.

What we have here is a failure to think.

Council decisions do not factor in costs down the road, just look at the asphalt we are putting in on various streets around town instead of concrete. They would rather 4x twice as much to repair the streets 4 times, rather than pay 1/2 the total cost of 4 asphault jobs and do concrete once.

So is buying outside our city limits if we can get warranties and service issues covered the same day locally. How much does it cost you to be without a patrol car for 2 or 3 days, what if there is an emergency, someone dies because we don't have cars to respond?

Pretending you can't put a cost on something like that is like saying "I don't need health insurance, I won't get sick, and besides, you pay more for health insurance".

Whatever dummies.

°Thanks°

Berserk

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 9 months ago

"They would rather 4x twice as much to repair the streets 4 times, rather than pay 1/2 the total cost of 4 asphault jobs and do concrete once."

Are you sure about that math? I was once told that an asphalt road and the cost of an overlay years later is less expensive than the cost of MATERIALS (not including labor) for concrete. It's not an obvious choice, really.

"So is buying outside our city limits if we can get warranties and service issues covered the same day locally. How much does it cost you to be without a patrol car for 2 or 3 days"

I work in auto finance. A typical warranty doesn't require you to use the dealership from which you bought the car. If you have a warranty from a major company, you can go to any dealership to get service under that warranty.

beatrice 8 years, 9 months ago

Berserk, I liked you more when you just liked pie!

classclown 8 years, 9 months ago

Posted by beatrice (anonymous) on July 11, 2006 at 4:34 p.m. (Suggest removal)

======================================

That link brought you to a blog on Lawrence.com. The front page typically does that a lot. Such as the link to the "Cup of Joel" blog on a daily basis.

As with you, profanity doesn't bother me, but seeing as this could be considered a "family" site, is it approprate to link to them? The least they should do is put in a notification that they are linking you to a different site that may not be appropriate for everybody.

jayhawks71 8 years, 9 months ago

crazy question: Does the city pay sales tax (specifically the local part) on vehicle purchases? If so, it might be worth figuring into the equation.

beatrice 8 years, 9 months ago

So, RI and cc, even though it doesn't say directly that you will be taken to another site and the link is as many clicks away from the LJWorld home page as is the ability to answer the question of the day, I'm still wondering -- how does that make it appropriate? I see that it is a different site and I'm not offended about the use of dirty words -- if they want to show live sex acts on the lawrence page, that is fine with me (although the city council might object) -- I just hate that if we use a hint of foul language or show offensive images ourselves, we get taken off for good. Just ask Extreme_Makeover.

To the LJWorld overlord, David Ryan - what is up with that?

beatrice 8 years, 9 months ago

RI: nope, you sure didn't say it was appropriate -- didn't mean to suggest you had. Same goes with classclown. The question was intended to be more general in nature, but direct to you and cc since you two were the ones responding. Actually, I think your bar analogy for the Lawrence site is quite clever, and I should have told you so. Well done.

As far as what is hidden -- X marks the spot. A wink is as good as a nod to blind man -- nudge, nudge. Say no more.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 9 months ago

Is anyone still talking about cars? I alway call around to all the dealerships w/in 100 miles and then take my lowest bid into Lawrence to "buy local." They always meet my price. I've found this a very effective way to buy a car. Get the dealerships to do all the haggling amonst themselves. Too much fun!

p.s.. San Francisco is freakin' cold!!!

RI, did you misplace your inflatable goat again? :P