Previous   Next

What is your primary source of recreation?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 10, 2006

Browse the archives

“Watching movies. Netflix is great. I also spend time on the Internet.”

“Movies or listening to music. I usually watch movies at home, but sometimes at the theater if I have extra money or something good is playing.”

“Television. Then probably listening to music, but some of my friends are pretty amusing.”

“Music. I play in a country music band here in Lawrence, or wherever we can get a gig.”

Related story

Comments

Lynn731 7 years, 9 months ago

Music, photography, surfing the net, reading, used to garden but no more. Planning a major downsize now. Nice to finally have the time to do some things I enjoy. It's nice to see what others enjoy doing, my nephew and his wife enjoy the netflix thing. I have been buying some good dvd's when the price is right. Lately been enjoying the multi dvd Gunsmoke set. Thank you, Lynn

Drew_Carey 7 years, 9 months ago

I took summer hiatus when all the great condos became available in Gaza. But now that they're taking captives, it wasn't so much fun anymore...had to pay attention too often, so we all came back, ruined the parties. Nice to know someone noticed I was missing.

Too many funnies to keep up with today, maybe after the jet lag wears off, I'll get to catch up with who's been posting what. Anything special I've missed? 25 points for everyone for hanging on in the humidity, wow, what a shock to fly back to! No wonder I can't sleep! More Drinks, all around!

(PS I just can't imagine TOB doing things in the deep woods LOL..he's on diaper duty still)

sunflower_sue 7 years, 9 months ago

I'm here! No clots in the legs waiting to shoot to my brain or elsewhere...I hope!

Katie_Horner 7 years, 9 months ago

The best thing about kegeling is that you can do it anywhere and you don't need any equipment....well, one thing.

Ceallach 7 years, 9 months ago

Now that's the Fangorn we know and love!!

Fangorn 7 years, 9 months ago

Gootsie shoots. She scores! (Wait, maybe that isn't the best figure of speech to use here.)

Monica...the woman who turned her last name into a euphamism.

Ceallach 7 years, 9 months ago

Gootsie -- not when you are 5'10" -- barely knee highs :-

Although the across the board increase for support staff was 3.5% this year -- (I think I spent it all at the Omaha Zoo with the fam).

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 9 months ago

fatty so mean not every one can be blessed like you, but before you say anything only 115lbs on a bad day. but do not go to a gym.

Gootsie 7 years, 9 months ago

They tried to get Monica on, but she blew it.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 9 months ago

Clinton and Stacy?

Is there some new reality show with Bill and his floozies? Is Hillary on this show too?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 9 months ago

OH, the wife drug me out to a play Friday night. That's non-electronic and outside of the house, so I guess that was recreation.

Felt like work, though. Been to better plays. Could have been home watching Clinton and Stacy.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 9 months ago

What recreation? You mean there are people who have time and energy for recreation when they're not at work?

Gee......

Gootsie 7 years, 9 months ago

C, was that the HUGE 1.5% raise? Almost get you panty hose that goes all the way to your hips, doesn't it...

Give HER a break!

Ceallach 7 years, 9 months ago

btw, sweeper: the raise was an across the board percentage that departments were required to give

off to a meeting, catch you all on my next break :-P

Ceallach 7 years, 9 months ago

staggered lunches, my lunch is usually 11:00 - 12:00 :) although, even WE are allowed 30 minutes worth of breaks we may take during the day -- oh no, I'm starting to sound like inmate :)

hitme 7 years, 9 months ago

I like to go to Mexico and sneak back across the border for fun.

OTSSweeper 7 years, 9 months ago

Ceallach,

Are you using University resources to be on a posting board during working hours? And tuitionn is going up? I think we have some budget cuts to make!

Ceallach 7 years, 9 months ago

Dear Danielle,

Thanks for the raise, I really, really, needed it. Now I can almost afford to buy the clothing needed to meet the university's expectations.

Sincerely,

Ceallach

Topside 7 years, 9 months ago

Disc golf is nice and a good way too get out. i enjoy playing at least once a week. Also, music and movies

sgtwolverine 7 years, 9 months ago

The cost is nice, Ron. Also nice for me is that I happen to live not too far from what is, I am told, one of the best courses in Michigan. It's in a park, so there is a small entry fee, but the yearly permits are very cheap. And it is a nice walk around the course.

RonBurgandy 7 years, 9 months ago

Just so everyone knows...

Danielle Herman is Kansas University. Not a student, not an employee, she is THE University. It is what she does.

gphawk89 7 years, 9 months ago

Hiking, golfing, cycling, skiing, roller blading, disc golf, camping, canoing... anything outdoors.

RonBurgandy 7 years, 9 months ago

sgt - I have only played for a couple months now, and I am far from good, but it is fun to play and the best part about it is that it is free.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 9 months ago

Ron, I hear you on disc golf. I haven't played in a long, long time, and I am unabashedly terrible (not much distance on my throws), but it is still a lot of fun.

RonBurgandy 7 years, 9 months ago

Krissy - drinking does count as recreation. Haven't you heard of 12oz curls?

Disc golf is a recreational activity that I have taken up recently. Haven't had too much time these days with our new puppy and grad school.

TOB - I haven't disappeared, the topics for OTS have been pretty lame these days, haven't felt the need to lend my expertise. Oh, and see previous statement.

BunE 7 years, 9 months ago

I play the rock and roll, bike, hike, camp, fish and hunt. Then I play some ball at the park and get my butt kicked for being slow and having a 5" vert.

SERIOUS UPS MAN!!!

jonas 7 years, 9 months ago

I fight crime and shallow pop-culture as my alter ego: Misanthropist Man. I'll save you, but I'll bi@#$ and moan about you're poor choices and bad B.O. while I do, believe it.

ms_canada 7 years, 9 months ago

Well, kiddies and friends, I am off to the cottage now. Will first cut the grass then get to work on re-doing the windows. some of the putty is falling out and I must repair that. Then I will start wire brushing the paint work on the trim. It is flaking off and needs re-painting. So I have my recreation all planned out for the next two days. Sue - absolutely don't neglect those deep veins. That is the big danger of long air flights, is it not? See you all on Thurs. next.

quitbitchin 7 years, 9 months ago

what's wrong with 12 oz. curls?!?!

dylanrules 7 years, 9 months ago

Listenin' to the blues or watching the Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest, which is grossly fascintating.

one_more_bob 7 years, 9 months ago

I walk & bike along Brays Bayou, making sure I stay far enough from the water that a gator isn't likely to snatch me into a watery grave.

44x15 7 years, 9 months ago

"The way the ladies are out-of-doors pedaling their bicycles and attending suffragette meetings, soon they will never go home, leaving the menfolk to clean house and mind the baby!"

Pedaling/dodging traffic/coming up through your blindspot to make you pee your cranky pants and having a good laugh while doing it! Ha ha!

Larry 7 years, 9 months ago

A little golf here and there, walking, and the interior and exterior remodeling my home keeps me plenty busy.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 9 months ago

By the way, the first answer is notable not just because her recreational activities all involve sitting, but also because she uses Netflix, which means she needn't leave the house to get movies.

Kathleen Christian 7 years, 9 months ago

Lots of reasons people stay home (or indoors) The weather (too hot or too cold) Cheaper since gas prices have gone way up. Also, cost of cars are so expensive. Also, the price of entertainment most can't afford because there is less disposable income since interest rates have climbed along with everything else.
No pressure in getting cleaned up to look especially presentable. No schedule to keep. People work hard all week and if you're like me I rarely get an opportunity to just sit down and watch a show all the way through without interuption or falling asleep.
Plus, the criminal factor - it's safer to just stay home. Also crazy drivers.
So these are some reasons. Anyone want to add to them?

Ceallach 7 years, 9 months ago

going for walks and gardening are my primary outdoor forms of recreation

reading; animal, history or sci-fi tv; redecorating rooms for indoor recreation

indoor or outdoor, watching my granddaughter do . . . just about anything :)

[note to those who fear becoming a grandparent -- it is great! when your children become all "grown up" and are not much fun anymore -- one of the best things they can do is provide you with grandchildren -- then it's fun, fun, fun, all over again!!]

Gootsie 7 years, 9 months ago

Besides the OTS questions, my primary source of recreation is my honey. awww

And I love to walk.

Fangorn 7 years, 9 months ago

oldenuf: I had wondered the same thing about "Fatty". Not too many obese weight-lifters out there - unless they're only doing 12-oz. curls. :)

For physical activity, I enjoy cycling, although I have less time for it than I would like. I also really like hiking. A recent visit to Wyoming included a trip to the hospital which meant, alas!, no hiking.

For non-physical entertainment (is recreation vs. entertainment the accepted distinction here?), I read a lot. My time gaps between books are usually measured in hours. The only delays I have are when the library hasn't gotten the book I want back from the previous borrower yet.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 9 months ago

Ms Canada,

By my interpretation of the word Recreation...yes .

S.S.

Keep doing those leg contractions, and relaxations, keeps the chance of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) in check. When meditating in those small spaces, don't let any of that blue stuff splash on you.....

sunflower_sue 7 years, 9 months ago

Oldenuf, guess what? My name really isn't Sue! But you can trust me. Hee Hee. ;o)

krissypoetry 7 years, 9 months ago

does drinking count as an activity?! other than that I guess gardening and playing with my pets...

sunflower_sue 7 years, 9 months ago

southern, inmate posted late yesterday. Maybe he got sent to isolation and they just let him out.

I still consider recreation some form of physical exercize. I like to take walks with a friend where we are free from children and hubbys and can gripe all we want. It's called "therapy walking." We both charge the other person about $100/ hour but since we both listen, we just call it even at the end of the session.

Today I'm changing up my exercize routine. I'll do some small weight lifting this morning followed by lots of standing around. After that, I'll do some periodic leg stretches while sitting down. After about 1/1/2 hours of that, I'll do more of the weight lifting but I'll accompany it with sprinting (hopefully a "speedwalker" will be involved). Then I'll do more of the sitting and leg stretches for at least another 4 hours. I'll try once an hour to do a brief walk, lock myself in an impossibly small space, and meditate until someone knocks on the door. Only after I'm sufficiently exhausted, will I allow myself to collapse into bed.

Have a great day ya'll!

ms_canada 7 years, 9 months ago

So, can I count turning the pages of my book? I guess not. Well then, I guess it would be yard work. Cutting the grass at my cottage and tending the shrubs and perennials is something I like to do and I guess according to RI's assessment is good for rejuvenating mind and body. Right, RI? Say, OMB, did you and the kiddies do anything interesting over the weekend? Just curious. What do they like to do?

beatrice 7 years, 9 months ago

Getting picked on by rightthinker on this forum.

I swim, go to the movies, go jogging, read, and, if it is Sunday night, I watch television. Deadwood is such a good show, even if it is sick and twisted.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 9 months ago

This is depressing. It seems that I don't recreate at all. I can't think of the last time I just got in my car and went and DID something for fun. I watch a few TV shows (Anthony Bourdain, Dirty Jobs, The First 48 and the occasional Iron Chef America) and that's it!

Geez.

acg 7 years, 9 months ago

Right now my baby daughter is my primary source of entertainment and recreation. She's more amusing and endearing than any t.v. show or movie I could ever watch, more interesting than any book I could read and I get a lot of exercise rushing around the house behind her, trying to keep her out of everything.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 9 months ago

Southern ... Got me. I'm still wondering what happened to Badger and Ron Burgandy.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 9 months ago

"weightlifting, martial arts, etc."

It sounds to me like F. Mc Butterpants is a poser. You are a fake fat person, aren't you? All this time I thought we were "brothers", but it was all all a lie. You're probably skinny as a rail, you fraud!

I'll never trust anyone on these boards again...

southerngirl 7 years, 9 months ago

Reading, watching movies, hiking...

Haven't seen Drew Carey or Inmate around in awhile...where have they been hiding?

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 9 months ago

Doing hard drugs in the woods.

I agree with Fatty. The article associated with this question is interesting. Kids consider DVDs and Nintendos recreation nowadays. Stupid parents.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 9 months ago

Recreation: Refreshment of one's mind or body after work through activity that amuses or stimulates; play.

Pretty inclusive!

sgtwolverine 7 years, 9 months ago

McButter, are you saying the people gave their primary source of entertainment rather than recreation? I think you may have a point.

My primary source of recreation is skiing.

Ken Miller 7 years, 9 months ago

Hmmm....shocking that the "library technician" spends recreational time on the net and watching movies. Al Qaeda has already won, people, they've already won.

Fatty_McButterpants 7 years, 9 months ago

weightlifting, martial arts, etc.

I always thought that "recreation" was a PHYSICAL activity that one does - not "watching a movie" or "watching TV". What a bunch of lazy arses we Americans have become!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 9 months ago

Sgt, for some that is their primary source of recreation....

sgtwolverine 7 years, 9 months ago

At first glance, I thought the question was, "What is your primary source of procreation?" I was surprised they'd ask a question like that.

Though I'm guessing that would have been a busy topic.

rightthinker 7 years, 9 months ago

Picking on far-left liberals on this forum.