Previous   Next

What are you reading?

Browse the archives

The History of the Decline of the Roman Empire,’ by Edward Gibbon. I just have a general interest in history - of the ancient world in particular.”

The World is Flat,’ by Thomas L. Friedman. It’s about trends in globalization and outsourcing jobs. He thinks that both are inevitable and they also have some positive outcomes.”

Never Let Me Go,’ by Kazuo Ishiguro. It’s a Booker Prize finalist, and I’ve always enjoyed those books. They’re extremely well-written and unusual. It’s a very prestigious award. You know you’re getting a good book.”

“I just finished ‘The Alchemist,’ by Paulo Coelho. It’s about a young man’s quest for his own happiness and the meaning of life.”

The Pilgrim’s Progress,’ by John Bunyan. He was like an earlier C.S. Lewis. He writes spiritual allegories of a person’s Christian journey.”

Comments

Fangorn 7 years, 9 months ago

acg: I am painfully aware of how long ago the 80s were. My 20 year class reunion was held in mid-June.

acg 7 years, 9 months ago

It must've been something else. I could've sworn I read that a million years ago, but it could've been in the last few years. I'm losing my sense of time, these days, it seems. Did you guys know, the 80's were 20 years ago? Holy crap!!

Fangorn 7 years, 9 months ago

ms_c: If I recall what I read correctly, there was a 5th-century tribal chieftain named Arthur, who achieved some noteworthy things. However, the title "Arthur Rex" didn't appear until 2 or 3 centuries later, so he probably wasn't a "king" in the sense that we think. And by the time the first stories about him were written, the kernal of the Arthurian legend had begun to germinate.

acg: I know exactly what you mean about a series coming to a close. I will soon complete the Jack Whyte series ms_c recommended months ago. I've become quite attached to the characters. And every time I finish The Lord of the Rings I go through a week or two of the blues. When did you go to college? The book I mentioned is fairly recent; 2003, I believe. Either you're younger than I thought, or there's an older book out there I would probably enjoy and a newer book you'll also likely enjoy.

acg 7 years, 9 months ago

I loved Eats, Shoots and Leaves, Fangorn. I read it in college and it was highly enjoyable. Right now I'm reading #7 of Stephen King's Dark Tower series. I'm so sad, too, because I'm almost finished with it and I've been reading this series since the early 80's and now it's almost done. I hate it when a great epic adventure story has to end. :(

ms_canada 7 years, 9 months ago

True - Jack Whyte does have a different approach to the Arthurian legend. And wasn't it you, fangorn, who told me that there really was an Arthur, but not a king, simply a very good military leader?

Fangorn 7 years, 9 months ago

Ann Coulter's "Godless: The Church of Liberalism". But don't worry, I balanced it by listening to NPR earlier this week.

I recently read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves: A Zero-Tolerance Approach to Punctuation". I highly recommend it, especially if you like dry, British humor a la Monty Python and Douglas Adams.

Ms_C: I'll read "The Eagle" as soon as I can get my hands on a copy. At the rate I'm going, I may simply have to buy a copy. I'm anxious to see how the saga ends. Well, OK, we know how it ends, but I want to see how Jack Whyte gets us there.

ms_canada 7 years, 9 months ago

I just picked up, from my Library, the final book (#9) in the series The Camulod Chronicles by Jack Whyte. This long account of the coming of age of governance and military supremacy in 5th century Britain following the withdrawal of the Roman Empire Legions is a most fascinating read which I am enjoying for the second time. Also have The Da Vinci Code on the go for the second time.