Previous   Next

Would you ever call Crime Stoppers?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 9, 2006

Browse the archives

“No. I don’t like to get involved in other people’s business. If I thought someone was in trouble, I would call the police. And honestly, I don’t think I would trust the police to give me the reward money.”

“Possibly. If I see something extremely suspicious and didn’t want to get involved or if it involved someone close to me, then I would want it to be anonymous.”

“Yeah, I’d call, because the person taking the call would probably be the most qualified person to get me in touch with who I need to talk to. They’re trained to deal with the situation at hand.”

“No. If I was in a bind, I would just call the cops. Otherwise I would probably ignore it and stay out of it.”

Related story

Comments

riverdrifter 3 years, 3 months ago

I wish we were having July weather right now. But since we're not, I think I'll fire up the warp/space-time-continuem flux capacitor and fly to Key West and fish for some schnook and flounder. -No, wait, it's July. I'll just stay here! Never mind!

thebcman 3 years, 3 months ago

Brad doesn't look old enough to be retired.

kandapanda 3 years, 3 months ago

I think that maybe Chris has a problem with calling crime stoppers because he has been involved in several crimes.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 9 months ago

Here's a question for you, oldenough...if someone sees a crime in progress, and does nothing, and later on the victim of that crime dies as a result of the crime, should any witnesses who did nothing be held partly responsible, when they're discovered by the police? Especially if taking quick action could have saved a life?

If that happened, I'll bet a lot more people would decide to "get involved".

Moira 7 years, 9 months ago

speaking of spelling - sunflower_sue was the only poster that spelled HYSTERICAL correctly! Have some pride people. BTW I believe oldenough2haveseenitall is really another well-known poster. The spelling gives it away.

beatrice 7 years, 9 months ago

ha ha -- good night Irene, indeed!

Irene -- thanks for checking up on me. I wasn't serious - just poking fun at Marion for trying to impress with his use of big, big words. Goot nite ireene. (you too tb)

Irene 7 years, 9 months ago

Bea writes:

Marion: If you are going to try to use big words from your thesaurus like "reclacitrant," please do us the favor of using correct spelling -- or are you recalcitrant to do such?

Irene asks: Bea, why the niggling spelling criticisms? I've noted that as I've read for many months. I nearly always enjoy what you have to say, but why not consider giving up this red pencil of yours? Object to the content, and move on, or you have to set a perfect example yourself. It's obvious it was a simple typo, putting the 'l' before the 'a' in recalcitrant. Recalcitrant is a lovely word, even if typed quickly.

Just in the past four days, you have made your share of typos:

Bea's goofs:

Every year my neighbor endagers the lives of fellow neighbors (endangers)

Attached is just one of the many articles about someone loosing their home because of fireworks this week. (losing)

I also believe that the posts get an occassional glance by someone who works there (occasional)

bearded_gnome 7 years, 9 months ago

wow, jonas, your phone sounds scarey. special extensions...like...no I don't wanna know.

MSC, nice to see you up above standing up for truth, justice and the american way...er the canadian way?

bearded_gnome 7 years, 9 months ago

Thanks SS, I've missed participatin' here. just too much to do, too few minutes darn, and when I have time there's already 75+ comments on the daily OTS/don't have time. do read occasionally though.
thanks.

jonas 7 years, 9 months ago

What, you're phone doesn't go to 11? Hell, mine goes the 17, but the double digit numbers only dial special extentions.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 9 months ago

Gnome, it is sooooo good to see you on here! I've missed your bearded gnominess!

ms_canada 7 years, 9 months ago

gnome - I see you got it exactly right. Each number has a specific purpose, so be sure to call the right number. Ah, gnome, you seek the illusive and mysterious number 11. Good luck, my friend.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 9 months ago

have called, and the Lt. reffed and quoted in article was found to be very respectful and responsive. hope this program does become higher profile: isn't their number 843-TIPS?
anyway, if you see some one breaking in dial 9-1-1.
if you know something about a crime or criminal, call crime stoppers.

"to report an emergency, call nine-eleven right away." "okay, I will, once I find the number '11' on my phone!"

sunflower_sue 7 years, 9 months ago

olde2, No, I think you've proven my point pretty well. Thanks for gulping down that bait. Dance, puppet, dance! And I agree with Ms_C. I think you're barely old enough to drive let alone "seen it all." You are too funny. Have a good night and make sure mommy tucks you in tight. Pleasant dreams.

Fangorn 7 years, 9 months ago

oldenough: Selfishness should be painful. If something happened to my wife or children and I found out some lazy, self-centered, don't-want-to-get-involved witness could have stopped it, I'd call the police. Just to be sporting. You know, give the authorities at least a chance to get to the person's house before I do.

rodneyking 7 years, 9 months ago

Now that we have concealed carry, we don't need crimestoppers or 911. I'll bet that they'll have to lay off some cops because the crime rate will drop. I'll feel like superman when I go to walmart or wendy's with a shiney new 44 mag. I'll whip out my gun on the bad guys and ask softly, "Can't we all just get along?"

inmate 7 years, 9 months ago

Man, If I only had a phone.

frankzappa 7 years, 9 months ago

with caller id, nobody is going to remain anonymous

everybody should take the time to learn the "non-emergency" number for their local law enforcement offices, and save 911 for when you really need it.

beatrice 7 years, 9 months ago

old: No, the thing that proves your point is the top of your head.

Or is that just me, once again, being "hystrical."

What is with you grumpy old guys today, anyway? Take a nap already.

reginafliangie 7 years, 9 months ago

Male or female, why is it wrong to help out another human, especially if its a matter of life or death? You could be a peace with yourself for the rest of your life knowing you were the one person that could of helped this person just by making a 30 second phone call to the police? So don't tell them your name...you don't have too, but at least report the crime, somebodys life or property could be in jeopardy.

ms_canada 7 years, 9 months ago

oldenough2 - if you think you can get a rise out of Beatrice, sunflower and ms_c think again. You're not old enough yet. :o) :o) right bea and sue?

oldenough2haveseenitall 7 years, 9 months ago

Well there you go. You 3 prove my point. And Sunflower it sounds like from what you wrote on Fri. you have a big mouthed nosy husband to go along with you.

Marion Lynn 7 years, 9 months ago

People want all kinds of protection but are reclacitrant to "get involved".

See "Kitty Geneovese":

Thanks.

Marion.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 9 months ago

oldenough2: Do you have a daughter; a wife; a mother? You would seriously prefer that they be raped and left for dead than some hysterical big mouthed woman calling for help? I guess that just proves that wisdom doesn't always come with age.

beatrice 7 years, 9 months ago

oops -- they're young, not their young.

beatrice 7 years, 9 months ago

ms_c: some people just like to go out of their way to prove that there is nothing worse than an old fool. At least young people have an excuse -- their young. But what would I know, being a "hystrical" woman and all.

ms_canada 7 years, 9 months ago

oldenough - is there no situation outside of protecting your family that would prompt you to call the police? If I saw a gang of older teens beating a younger boy up in a deserted school yard and called the cops, would you consider me a nosy big mouth hystrical, woman? That is exactly what happened here in my city a few years back. Older bullies, younger boy. No one called the cops. The young lad died of his beating. He died right there on the school grounds. I presume, by the way you speak of women, that you are a male. I do not say man because I don't consider a person that would let something like that happen to be much of a man.

oldenough2haveseenitall 7 years, 9 months ago

Nope. I wouldn't call the cops. I might step in myself reginafliangie. Maybe. It would depend on the circumstances. Its been my general experience that no good deed goes unpunished. I dislike authority but I dispise nosy people even more. Especially nosy big mouth hystrical women.

reginafliangie 7 years, 9 months ago

I find this weird. I wonder if the same people that won't report any illegal activity by hotline or 911, but have no problems calling 911 when their electricity goes out or the guy next door is playing his music too loud or they have a raccon in their yard. These are emergencys?? Just wondering.

reginafliangie 7 years, 9 months ago

cknajsmeemaw: Anonymous in some repects means that nobody but the hotline would know who the report was made by. Whether it does in this curcumstance or not I don't know.

So oldenough, if you saw some woman being raped or beaten by somebody in an alley you seriously wouldn't call anybody? Wow!

oldenough2haveseenitall 7 years, 9 months ago

Nope. Not unless it was something that was endangering my family. I am a firm believer in keeping my nose right were it belongs...in my own business and out of other peoples.

Sheila Couchman 7 years, 9 months ago

If Crime Stoppers is the same as Tips Hotline...good luck! They have a machine and say to leave your number and they will call back. WHATEVER! If you want to anonymous, why the machine for them to call you back?

jonas 7 years, 9 months ago

Wow, Sigmund, someone pee in your cornflakes this morning?

goatdog 7 years, 9 months ago

Well, sure I'd make the call. Say, I saw some christian scumbag, say, like Craigers, beating his wife again. Why I'd call in an instant.

beatrice 7 years, 9 months ago

"Hello, Crime Stopper, I'd like to report a crime. Every year my neighbor endagers the lives of fellow neighbors, threatening to burn down peoples houses. You see, he keeps shooting off explosive fireworks into the air and ... hello? Hello? Crime Stopper? I can't believe they just hung up on me."

Standing up for your neighbors, helping each other, inconveniencing yourself and giving of your personal time to help a victim of a crime is the right thing to do. People who would only get involved when a crime involves somebody close to them should be ashamed of themselves.

But then again, a question like this really does need to have some perspective since it depends on the crime. If I knew my neighbor had a couple of pot plants, for instance, I wouldn't call anyone, but if they had a meth lab I would. If people are setting off fire crackers or bottle rockets, I wouldn't call, but I would if they were making pipe bombs or throwing M-80s at passing cars.

To answer "No" to ever calling without any further details, however, is simply wrong. I'll bet you that Chris would have no problem callng the cops if someone stole his guitar.

Bowhunter99 7 years, 9 months ago

conservativepunker 7 years, 9 months ago

Jeez Chris...you are such a self-centered person. "What's in it for me?" The clarion call of so many today. I have stopped and administered first aid to accident victims on country roads, Called the police on suspicious activity and in my years as a retail wage slave have actually busted shoplifters and called the police on them. Even when they were begging me not to. "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time". We need more people to be concerned about their fellow human beings. So many are so scared to "get involved". If more people did get involved, maybe there would be less crime. Oh, and Chris-- you do get your money from crime stoppers....I know someone first hand that turned in a drug dealer, anonymously, and indeed got a $500.00 from "those cops" that you, Chris, deem so untrustworthy. I hope you never need a policeman Chris. and if you do, I bet you will be thankful to see him/her when they help you.

Pywacket 7 years, 9 months ago

I'm appalled that people like Chris are worried about reward money.

I would let the circumstances dictate whether I called 911 or Crimestoppers. I.e., if something immediate (especially violent) were going on (robbery, break-in, assault) I would call 911. I might call Crimestoppers instead if, for example, I were working for someone who was embezzling and I didn't want the awkward situation of anyone at work knowing who blew the whistle. (When you call 911, your privacy may or may not be respected.)

If offered a Crimestopper reward, I would donate it to a victims' fund. I have returned loaded wallets & such to people after finding them and always refuse any reward offered. A few years ago, I found a diamond ring at a festival and was very gratified just by the relief and pleasure of the frantic owner. There's no way I would accept the reward she offered.

It's nice of them to offer, of course (and I would offer a reward myself), but I would feel scummy accepting money for simply doing the right thing.

Accepting Crimestopper awards doesn't seem so grasping, as long as the award is not the primary motivation of the person calling--the main motivation should be a desire for justice and public safety. But I still would donate it to a victims' fund if I were in that position.

Gootsie 7 years, 9 months ago

OK Sue. R_I is our animal control officer.

flames_over_the_wasteland 7 years, 9 months ago

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 9 months ago

Ms Canada,

If the parents get nasty, I just pick up their two year old, and put him back in the busy street,... grievance rectified.....

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 9 months ago

S.S.,

Good thing you didn't say "I want to roll some paper today!"

I would have had to make a call......

Sigmund 7 years, 9 months ago

It isn't about trusting authority, its about helping victims of crime. Get a F'ing clue. Most people want you to call the cops if you know something about a crime that has been committed against them. Crime stoppers is anonymous even. Who do you want me to call when you're a victim, Ghostbusters?

Fangorn 7 years, 9 months ago

Jansa Hulett. I'll have to remember that name. I don't ever want to live near this person. "If I was in a bind...." That's disturbingly self-centered. If you see your neighbor's house being burglarized or hear talk about who did it, call the bloody hotline! Not doing so, IMO, is downright sleasy. I'm sure the criminal element will be quite pleased to know so many "don't want to get involved".

sunflower_sue 7 years, 9 months ago

Yes, Jonas, where is the site? I want to fold some paper today!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 9 months ago

I would definitely call. I was in a store a few weeks ago and saw a man shoplifting. I yelled out "shoplifter" to everyone w/in range in the store but he still got away w/ his goods. The store said they would have him on security camera...but you know how that goes.

My sis actually tackled a shoplifter in a store. They caught it all on video tape. I'd pay good money to see it! Just cracks me up. Poor slob not only got caught but then had to tell his buddies that he was taken down by a girl! Hee hee hee hee.

costello 7 years, 9 months ago

I meant to say he wants to know where the site "is"!

costello 7 years, 9 months ago

Jonas: My son wants to know where this origami site it!

jonas 7 years, 9 months ago

Sigmund: I think that the viewpoint reflects a sizeable portion of humanity. If Lawrence is in any deviation from the norm I would guess it would be in a slightly larger contingent of people who don't like or trust the authorities and so have no desire to interact with them. But keep in mind that Chris does say that he would call the police, which is what I would probably do if I didn't think I could safely stop it on my own. I would guess the comment on the award money was just a joke.

reginafliangie 7 years, 9 months ago

I think all Chris is worried about is not being able to get his money. Whatever happened to helping a person in need, reguardless of the reward? Can't you just feel good about helping another person?

Sigmund 7 years, 9 months ago

Hey Chris and Jansa heres the deal. You're not going to call the police if you know about a crime being committed against one of your fellow citizens here in Lawrence? Fine. Don't expect us to call when you, your family, and friends are the victim.

Did anyone else notice how the two people who were NOT from Lawrence had any sense of duty to their community and fellow citizens? I would like to believe that this doesn't represent the typical attitude of Lawrencians, but honestly deep inside, I doubt it.

topflight 7 years, 9 months ago

ms_canada 7 years, 9 months ago

We have Crime Stoppers here and I would definitely call either them or the police if I saw someone on their list. Also if I saw a crime being perpetrated, I would call the police. They can't be everywhere and it is a citizen's duty to help by reporting a crime or a suspected crime. There is too much crime and too many wimps who don't want to get involved An example of that occurred in my daughter's street. A young lost puppy was taken in by the idiot's next door and no effort made to find the poor kid who was crying over his lost pup. One neighbour did not want to get involved so my daughter took the pup in and called SPCA. The uninvolved neighbour was afraid of the idiot's idiot son who paint balled houses. This is how crime continues unchecked. She also called about the paint balling. I'm afraid I am somewhat like RI. If I see a kid being naughty and parents being neglectful of their duty, I speak up and correct that kid. But in doing this, caution is needed as some parents could get nasty.

reginafliangie 7 years, 9 months ago

Basically it's a number that you can call and report illegal activity. But whether you call them or the police you can remain annoyn.

I must say it's a little scary knowing how many people won't get involved or help others out. Wow!

jonas 7 years, 9 months ago

What IS Crime Stoppers? I have no idea.

And I don't want to research either, someone spoon-feed the answer to me please!

By the way, being Sunday (right?) and the OTS question being boring, here's a sight where it tells you how to make a little model of Yoda out of Oragami. No, I haven't tried it yet.