Previous   Next

What is your impression of the proposed replacement for Yello Sub and The Crossing?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 6, 2006

Browse the archives

“It looks good to me. I’m not sentimental about either place. I think it will be an improvement.”

“Oh my goodness. It’s really big, and it doesn’t really look like it would fit in that neighborhood because it’s mainly residential. It reminds me of the lofts on New Hampshire.”

“I think it looks cool. It’s better than what’s there now - not to put down Yello Sub or The Crossing.”

“It doesn’t fit with where it would be. It doesn’t fit at all. It might look good downtown or maybe somewhere else on campus, but not there. ”

Related story

Comments

H_Lecter 8 years, 5 months ago

The crossing definitely add to the ambiance of the campus. I hate to see that change.

average 8 years, 5 months ago

More overpriced (i.e. vacant) storefronts, just like the Hobbs Taylor and the downtown garage.

Moderateguy 8 years, 5 months ago

I wouldn't have thought something could be more out of scale or out of character than the Alumni Center, but there you go. As an Architect, I have to say "that thing is hideous!"

DaREEKKU 8 years, 5 months ago

WAY to big. It's going to overpower that part of campus. Scale it down, price it down, make it affordable.

lunacydetector 8 years, 5 months ago

seems a lot of people think this is a done deal. do you think they are now just going through the motions?

i like the 'it looks like it would make a great library' comment. you almost had me shooting hot coffee out my shnoz.

pelliott 8 years, 5 months ago

I have gone to the crossing since 67 and still miss the old gaslight. I think the building sounds good. It will be surrounded by apartment buildings and looks like it will serve the area better. It is a large deep lot and additional parking is needed in the area. I hope they improve the intersection, a three way stop might help.

Kyle Rohde 8 years, 5 months ago

acg 8 years, 5 months ago

It's big, it's gaudy, it's too much building for that corner.

cutny 8 years, 5 months ago

The equivalent of an architechtural abortion.

sjkelly 8 years, 5 months ago

I will miss Yellow Sub; I always try to eat there when I'm in town. Maybe they'll set up a new shop in the building. Otherwise, I have no issues with it. Better parking, condos close to campus, sounds great.

super_b 8 years, 5 months ago

Did anyone else notice the blimp in the rendering?

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

Hmmmm. Peer pressure is a terrible thing!!!

Given that the building would sit at the "head" or the "tail" of the campus table (depending on your perspective), and given that the Alumni Center, Kansas Union, Union parking facility and the new multicultural resource center will all be of similar grandeur :) I think it will fit nicely with the campus. Not with the adjacent community, but with the campus. Let's face it, the folks with the money do not care about ambiance, it's all about the green.

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

ms_canada: we're enjoying a cool spell here -- our temps are about equal to the scorching heat that is torturing Edmonton :):)

trinity 8 years, 5 months ago

i noticed the blimp too, super; what's that about?

the proposed building really does nothing for me, one way or t'other. being the ol' fogie that i am, i just hate the thought of that corner changing. sigh ah well. whaddya gonna do, eh?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 5 months ago

"The crossing definitely add to the ambiance of the campus."

WHAT?! "Ambiance"? Let me find my dictionary. I don't think that word means what she thinks that means.

Scattered 8 years, 5 months ago

It seems as though many would sell their soul for a $ in Lawrence....

I so miss Lawrence of the late '60's and early 70's before it became yuppified...

Bring back Squeezer's Palace!

ms_canada 8 years, 5 months ago

ceallach - did I hear you correctly? Your temps are about equal to our scorchers? and that is cool? huh? It was 92* here yesterday pm in the shade on my back patio. Thought I would die except for the cool basement where I have been hibernating for the last 5 days. But that the Lord, it has cooled down and is lovely today. Can't comment on your yello sub, what ever that is. Is it on or near your campus? I take it that the crossing is. On our Uni. campus, the huge gym/track/indoor field, is this great big rectangular block that is bright yellow and is affectionaltey called the Butter Dome. It is monstrous and we love it.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 5 months ago

I don't know what to think of it. Seems like a parking garage would be much more useful.

acg 8 years, 5 months ago

Ms C Yello Sub is this great little sammich shop that has the best beefeater's sub in the free world. It's been on that corner, along with The Crossing (famous little college pub) since moby dick was a minnow and a lot of us hate to see it go.

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

This building along with the library will match our fearless leaders' vision of Lawrence, and you know they are just there to take care of us and keep us from hurting ourselves with unenlightened decisions. Dada is very close to daddy.

ms_c: we're supposed to reach 88 today, after 102 it seems cool to me. I'm usually okay until the mid-90's. In the Rio Grande Valley temps are often upper 90s to lower 100s but the humidity is low -- if you learn to use the siesta hours wisely it's not so bad.

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

acg: or creamy turkey club (no sprouts), yummmm.

KSChick1 8 years, 5 months ago

or a creamy crab which is toasted to get the cream cheese all melty on the crab oh yum but don't forget there is another yellow sub in town, on 23rd near Hastings

ladysilk 8 years, 5 months ago

Yuck! I wonder if the Chancellor is going to buy a loft for his kids? No...they won't go to KU, they will go to a private school somewhere.

ms_canada 8 years, 5 months ago

acg - thanks for the info. sounds to me like a reason to grieve!

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

"Robert Hemenway: The chancellor and his wife, Leah, live with their son Arna, 17, in the Outlook, the KU chancellor's official residence. Four of the Chancellor's eight children are graduates of KU. The Hemenways have five grandchildren."

Never underestimate an old man with younger wives :)

dacs23 8 years, 5 months ago

I've lived in Lawrence since the 80s and there has been a tremendous amount of growth in our city. I suspect there are those who have difficulty accepting change of any sort simply based on their personalities and perhaps there are those who tend to live in the past. I personally am a moving forward embracing change type of person. Granted the student ghetto has it's appeal but it would be nice to see the neighborhood clean up a bit. Lets be honest it would only be a matter of time before KU bought the property and turned into another building anyway. It seems the university keeps creeping further down all sides of the hill like some sort of ivy. I agree that it fits more with campus then the run down apartments and frat house on the back sides but no lost love there. I welcome the change:.so long as we keep yellow sub. Look at the good side, if yellow sub gets a new building with new features perhaps it won't take two hours to make a sub not to mention you almost have to order a day in advance if I want it delivered. What's up with that anyway? Do they make it fresh or grow it fresh.....

Linda Aikins 8 years, 5 months ago

TOB, I'm guessing they'll get more for that meteorite than what the wheat crop brought!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 5 months ago

They should make it twelve stories. They should have three spaces for businesses in the lower level: A Starbucks on the west end, a Cold Stone Creamery in the middle, and another Starbucks on the east end. Commercialism on steriods, baby.

StirrrThePot 8 years, 5 months ago

"Anyone else think these will just be bought up by rich alumni so's they can have a place to stay during home football and basketball games?"

Most likely. I don't see these as being "home" for anyone. Any parent who would buy one for their kids and roommates would be out of their minds IMO.

Nachtwolf 8 years, 5 months ago

OldEnuf2BYurDad, the word Lector used, "ambiance", was used correctly. Ambiance is the mood set by the environment, and the Crossing's style adds to that. It's pretty simple, really. I'm not sure how you misunderstood it.

I'm also pretty sure Lector's a "He" not a "she."

super_b 8 years, 5 months ago

R_I: Thanks for the clarification on the blimp/space ship. I was beginning to wonder if the developer was suggesting air travel as a way to relieve ground congestion near the site.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 5 months ago

I guess I think of "ambiance" as being a "positive". So... I guess a torture chamber [think Princess Bride] has "ambiance"?

I did NOT know that.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 5 months ago

Ahhh, yes. As a companion to the corporate box suite. Totally sweet.

Note to self: get rich, soon.

james bush 8 years, 5 months ago

I've heard this yellow sub was inferior to the ones on 23rd and in Topeka.

Kyle Neuer 8 years, 5 months ago

Looks like I'm going to have to come back for one more "prayer meeting" behind The Crossing.

Sad to see them go. There needs to be a non-greek bar near campus.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

I've been to neither place so I can't say as I'll miss them. Development is going to happen and it really doesn't matter what 95% of the population wants. I'm sure the developers will be very happy and laugh all the way to the bank.

Wilbur_Nether 8 years, 5 months ago

average, how quickly should the Hobbs-Taylor storefronts have been sold to suit your expectations?

sgtwolverine 8 years, 5 months ago

Sue, you're so right about development simply happening. In my town, lots of people made it abundantly clear that they did not want a certain housing development (used to be called a trailer park; what's the euphemism now?) to come to town. It failed several times. But the developers and the city finally pushed it through.

However, we are having the last laugh. They're having problems selling the lots.