Previous   Next

How should people honor the memory of Martin Luther King Jr.?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 16, 2006

Browse the archives

“They should say hello to everyone they come across that day. Just a friendly hello. They don’t have to be of a different race, just say hello to everyone they meet.”

“There should be a ceasefire for the entire day. No violence or military action at all.”

“Everyone should get the day off to remember. Not just students and federal employees, everyone.”

“I think people should just strive to be more tolerant.”

Related story

Comments

xraypooh 8 years, 7 months ago

MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. WAS A GREAT MAN.

AS RHONDA SAYS...SAY HI TO EVERYONE TODAY....

BE MORE FRIENDLY TO OTHERS....

AND ALWAYS....

first....

Ember 8 years, 7 months ago

How about not a single thing? Why should the government grind to a halt for a day just because of a single individual? I see no Rosa Parks Day, or Malcolm X Day or anyone else that was involved in the Civil Rights movement day.

Celebrating one person's life when in fact it took millions to accomplish the goal is pedestal worshipping.

Be careful you don't get a crik in your neck looking up that high.

bmwjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Personally, I am going to pretend that I am from a town with a masculine-sounding name.

badger 8 years, 7 months ago

Same way I celebrate the Civil Rights movement any other day:

Recognizing that everyone has prejudices, learning to understand my own, and trying not to make decisions based in them.

And probably drinking a beer. I find that drinking a beer is a handy way to celebrate most things, even if you're from a town without a masculine-sounding name.

BunE 8 years, 7 months ago

MLK day is not about a man only, it is about the struggle for the rights of man. The United States has come a long way since the 1860's and celebrating the man MLK is a good way to keep that in mind.

BTW: When you say "no slight on him" that means you are slighting him.

There are many who would denigrate the man and try to minimize the giant presence that he had on America, but I think we all should all take a moment, consider where there is injustice in the US and abroad and hopefully act and vote and pray or whatever we need to do to push for action by our leaders, organizations and business.

I think that MLK day is a great moment for that.

Liberty 8 years, 7 months ago

"Civil Liberties" are in exchange for "God Given Rights". Civil Liberties are those freedoms that Congress decides to give you or take away at their choice.

The rights that you were born with are "God Given Rights" and some of them are listed in the Bill of Rights that are part of the Constitution. Rights can not be taken away, but you can volunteer to lay them down or forget that you have them or get confused and think that Civil Rights equals God Given Rights or Constitutional Rights.

So when you celebrate "Civil Liberties" just remeber that you are saying that you have volunteered to lay down your "God Given Rights" or Constitutional Rights in exchange for the government given "Civil Liberties".

This is why the government makes such a big deal out of
celebrating "Civil Liberties" or "Civil Rights" through some individual, black or white or other...

badger 8 years, 7 months ago

Liberty:

So, do atheists get 'God Given Rights'?

Where, exactly, do they get them?

Kathleen Christian 8 years, 7 months ago

Ember - ML King represents Rosa Parks and Malcolm X and I'm sure they would agree. When we celebrate Civil Rights Day in Honor of ML King we honor everyone that was involved. But Dr. King was the forefront of this movement - He was a brave man and after all the harassment he got he remained a peaceful man. We should all "take a lesson". Rosa Parks did her part and so did Malcolm X. I honor them all.

Liberty 8 years, 7 months ago

If you were born, you have Rights. You get them from God by being born in His image, whether you believe in Him or not, does not change the fact that He created you. If you choose to not believe that the wind exists because you can not see it, that does not cause the wind to not exist. God is not a respector of persons. He has the power to forgive your sins. He causes the rain to fall on the good as well as the evil. To better understand God and what He freely gives you through His Son, read His Word. It is readily available.

GreenEyedBlues 8 years, 7 months ago

Why is everyone peeing on MLK's bday cake so early in the morning? I didn't even get a slice yet!

• GreenEyedBlues Machismo, KS

canyon_wren 8 years, 7 months ago

Rhonda Benally's advice is good--and good for every day. It will be nice if we ever get to the point where we no longer NEED "Black History Month," etc. and we are not thinking in terms of race at all. I do think that day is coming.

I guess I missed something in the papers the last couple of days, but what's the deal about "living in a town with a masculine name"? I've never known a woman named "Lawrence" yet--though I'm sure there are at least a couple out there.

badger 8 years, 7 months ago

Arschloch - I love that song. Correction: I love that entire musical. It's delightfully wrong.

Liberty - way to kill a joke, man.

Prospector - You should have an Ad Astra for me. I miss Free State. I pined all October, because their October Ale is one of my favorite beers ever. I want to make it up sometime in March for the mustard, though they got rid of my favorite thing to have as a Mustard Delivery Substance (they used to have a fine plate of brats and mashed potatoes; I think it was the Walruff's Delight?).

However, I do at least have, as a reminder of my trip over the holidays, eight more bottles of Boulevard Wheat - which you cannot get in Texas. Also, I am consoling myself with fine and tasty Independence Brown Ale, Bootlegger Brown, and Boddington's.

Liberty 8 years, 7 months ago

I think that MLK was a man that tried to do good for those that were being abused and was brave to take a stand and for this I have respect for him.

But he went about it in the wrong way because he did not understand his rights. Instead he tried to get change through the government civil liberties path instead of understanding his God Given Rights. The government "used him" to institute civil liberties as a replacement for God Given Rights in the public eye. That is why we have this worship day of "Civil Liberties" in the name of MLK today.

badger 8 years, 7 months ago

Weeeellll, you're just a bright and shiny lil' ray of sunshine, there, sparky!

"Sounds like somebody's got a case of the Mondays!"

ms_canada 8 years, 7 months ago

From what I know of Martin Luther King, he was a man of great dignity and so should be honoured in the same way. One of North America's great men of history.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 8 years, 7 months ago

Chris Rock once pointed out that despite MLK's reputation for peace and non-violence, Martin Luther King Blvd is typically the most dangerous and violent street in every major city. Very bizarre indeed!

juscin3 8 years, 7 months ago

Liberty, your post at 9:23am couldn't have been said any better! I totally agree with that post. As for MLK, he was a man that done something big. I do agree as well that some other people that had made an impact should have their day as well. It's sad though that they have to wait to have a day in their memory be made AFTER they have gone to be with the Lord.

bmwjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Shoot! No... DARN! I should have said "manly." "Lawrence" is, indeed, masculine. "Studley," on the other hand, is MANLY.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 7 months ago

Hi everyone! Been out of town.

I like the be-nice idea. Let's do that!

So there is a city that exists in every state (same name, like Cheesehead Oregon, Cheesehead California, Cheesehead Kentucky, etc etc. Anyone know what the name of that town it?

Gootsie Backhomein, KS

badger 8 years, 7 months ago

Gootsie -

I always thought it was Springfield?

Thus making the state of residence of the Simpsons so difficult to place.

badger 8 years, 7 months ago

Hm, those Simpsons just got easier to track.

I'll find them yet...

Linda Aikins 8 years, 7 months ago

WOW - you ARE the smartest people in the world! I knew it! Thanks!

badger 8 years, 7 months ago

Goodfella, I respectfully submit the suggestion that you, sir, are a loony.

I do mean that with all attendant due respect.

linux_chick 8 years, 7 months ago

I got a brochure under my welcome mat this morning with a nice photo of MLK Jr. himself and athe following caption:

*"Stop Racism and Sodomy."*

Uh, what?

Hong_Kong_Phooey 8 years, 7 months ago

How come some people seem to think that calling a black man/woman "articulate" is a compliment? For example, Colin Powell. The man was a four-star general, Chairman of the joint chiefs, Secretary of State, war hero, father, etc. and the most common praise I hear of him is "Oh, and he's so articulate". Since when is being able to speak your native language considered high praise?

I think MLK was a man with a dream and he went after that dream. I also think that he had flaws just like the rest of us. I think it's good to remember his ideas (and given the homicide rate in K.C., MO. this year, many have forgotten) but make sure you don't get bogged down in idolatry.

acg 8 years, 7 months ago

I originally logged on to rant at that idiot Goodfella, but then I realized he's a moron and too stupid to even realize he's a moron, so why waste my breath? Anywho, MLK was a great man, we all know it. I, personally, don't believe in giving a specific person a specific day, like MLK Day, Columbus Day, Presidents Day, etc. I think if you honor a person, you should do so every day, with your words and actions, not just one day a year. My 5 year old stepson asked me last night if it was true that MLK was killed because he wanted to make things better for black people and I said yes, he fought for his brothers and was shot for his beliefs. The kid started to cry and I realized then that that is how you honor a hero. Have a good day everyone!!

linux_chick 8 years, 7 months ago

Phooey: Didn't Chris Rock do that skit? http://osinedrio.blogspot.com/2005/12/he-speaks-so-well.html

(apologies: parts of the link are not in English, but it's the closest transcript I could find quickly.)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 7 months ago

acg, I had a similar conversation w/ my youngest daughter the other day and pointed out to her that if things were now as they were then, she'd not be able to play with 3 of her closest friends. She was taken aback, to say the least. I believe the day will come when we are all color blind. When I was a young freckle-faced kid, I desperately wanted to be "dark like the kids with pretty skin at the pool." I guess to my mother's credit, I had no idea what that meant other than I would have my much preferred darker skin color (because I hated mine...I was teased so badly). Ah, the beautiful innocence of youth! I think we should honor this day by not forgetting.

Although to my eternal shame, after the b.ball game yesterday (which I attended with my gloating KSU hubby), I wanted to gut him and hang him like veal until all that nasty purple blood leached from his body making him tender and tastey. Guess he's too old to be veal and KU deserved to lose that game as sloppy as they played, but I was just a bit peeved. Ooh, did that sound too violent? Sorry. I'm all over it now. Really. I'd never really do anything like that. He's far too heavy for me and I can never get the fork lift started. :O)

beatrice 8 years, 7 months ago

Liberty -- have you actually suggested that MLK was wrong for wanting Civil Rights because it is somehow against God? What an enormously foolish thing to say. This is so silly that it is worthy of Pat Robertson.

As far as others out there who are typing away while wearing their pointy white hoods, I'm with Gootsie -- ignore.

Sorry about the Jayhawks, everyone. Am I wrong to think that many of you now want to abuse your Self?

Go Steelers!

Linda Aikins 8 years, 7 months ago

B - OUCH! And yes, that was a good one.

Sue, I think your "fantasy" is right on target. How funny!

I support 55 people and honestly I had to stop and think if any of them were black! I love it that I don't automatically know.

GreenEyedBlues 8 years, 7 months ago

Sunflower Sue! I can't believe what I just read! =o) Code RED guys... Next time you're at the meat counter while grocery shopping, keep a close watch for the shifty-eyed lady hacking away at an unidentifiable pulp of flesh. She'll be wearing a severed Willy Wildcat head around her neck. Ay chihuahua!

badger 8 years, 7 months ago

Re: articulate as a compliment.

Frankly, given the absolute lack of linguistic prowess evidenced by a vast majority of Americans, 'articulate' is a singular compliment, meaning not only that you have attained fluency in your native language but that you have developed the skills of good word usage, effective communication, and well-turned phrasing.

To refer to anyone, regardless of color, as an articulate public speaker is high praise indeed, giving voice to the notion that one expresses oneself with clarity, beauty, grace, and dignity. It says that one uses the English language as more than a simple functional tool.

It goes back to a time when well-used language in and of itself was considered a thing of beauty.

Confrontation 8 years, 7 months ago

Interesting article and statements by New Orleans' mayor:

Don't know why god would want a lot of African Americans to rebuild in flood vulnerable areas. I guess it's better Mayor Nagin said this, rather than a white person. I'd hate to see the protests from that.

In honor of MLK, I will hold my partner's hand extra tight and thank God that we're together, since it would have been a whole lot more difficult prior to MLK's era.

Confrontation 8 years, 7 months ago

OMB-That's a very interesting article. I wish these new statistics could make the front page of every newspaper. Katrina was a tragedy for EVERYONE involved.