Previous   Next

Are you shocked that the Jayhawks lost to the Wildcats?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 15, 2006

Browse the archives

“I wouldn’t say I’m shocked, but I’m upset. They really didn’t need to lose to K-State, and it broke their winning streak.”

“I’m not. I believe in coach Wooldridge, and I just felt like we finally had the talent to get it done.”

“Shocked and disappointed. I’ve been to three KU games in my life, and they’ve lost all three times.”

“Very. Just because we had higher expectations of the Jayhawks, I guess.”

“Yes, I actually am. I never thought we would beat them at Allen Fieldhouse.”

“Yes, I was. I was very sad to be at the game. I didn’t like the K-State fans making noise in our house.”

“Yes. We came all the way from Indiana to watch the Jayhawks, and yeah, we were a little shocked.”

Related story

Comments

wmranch51 8 years, 3 months ago

crappy coaching job against k state. why not play the freshman 3point shooters. ku not going anywhere anyway, and what good do the seniors do for the future. self sucks

badger 8 years, 3 months ago

omb - oh, you better believe it. It's hysterical, how suddenly everyone who's ever driven through campus on his way to somewhere else is a 'diehard Longhorn fan for life'. If everyone who claimed they'd always believed had really gone to the games they say, UT would have had to triple the size of its stadium.

Unfrumpy, you misinterpreted what I said. I wasn't talking about KSU fans when I said the underdogs. I couldn't possibly care less about KSU fans, because they're fairly predictable, pedestrian, and arrogant in their own right. I was talking about two separate classes of fans, not specifically a division in the fans at the game. The 'underdogs' I was talking about are best evidenced by the time when I was in junior high and the high school pulled off an incredible victory in the last ten seconds of a hard-fought game against their time-honored rivals to get their first trip ever to State. It being Texas high school football, I was able to witness several thousand people immediately dropping to their knees to give loud and impassioned thanks to God, along with the screaming, and the crying, and the hugging, and the cheerleaders being hoisted up onto the goalposts, made all the better by the fact that they'd had to fight that year for every single win.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 3 months ago

There will no longer be any streak after March 4th. It has been nothing but downhill since Roy left. The season is halfway over, the young card doesn't play as much now. Kentucky looked like a good win, until they lost to Vandy at home and then again to Alabama. It's just sad. Bill doesn't look like as good a coach as I had thought in the beginning.

even_money 8 years, 3 months ago

ms_c,

I'm going a bit out on a limb here, but I strongly suspect the per-capita population of Jayhawks in your neck of the woods is much less than it is here.

On an upbeat note, however, I also suspect you are also bothered less by KSU.

unfrumpy 8 years, 3 months ago

Maybe I don't know. I don't follow much sports, either. My husband seemed upset about it.

unfrumpy 8 years, 3 months ago

Badger, KSU underdogs? KU isn't even ranked.

one_more_bob 8 years, 3 months ago

badger, a note from Space City, I'm amazed at how the Longhorns suddenly have hundreds of fans showing the burnt orange down here. Band wagon sl*ts, that's what they are.

badger 8 years, 3 months ago

Shocked, no.

Amused, yeah, pretty much. I spent long enough listening to KU fans get arrogant about their program that it's kind of nice to see the wind get taken out of their sails a bit.

Of course, this isn't nearly as funny as Bucknell. I got laughs out of the Bucknell game for weeks, because I'd say, "Man, shame about the basketball this year, huh?" and then just watch whoever I was talking to go off on "(&(&^%$@#* BUCKNELL!"

For me, I don't follow sports. Fan watching is my participatory activity. My favorite fan to watch is the underdog whose team just pulled off the game of the century to win it all. That warms my little fuzzy heart to watch them running around, giggling like maniacs and hugging each other. My second favorite fan to follow, though, is the fan of the mighty brought low through sloppy mistakes and overconfidence. There's just something viscerally pleasant about that level of resentful unfulfilled entitlement.

from_kansasland 8 years, 3 months ago

........and before anyone says, "but kansasland, the hawks are 10-5!! The hawks are 10-5!! They don't stink! 10-5 is a good record!"...................Oh, please! Don't kid yourselves, hawks fans! The hawks are no good this year! Their 10-5 record does not impress me. They've beaten nothing but chumps!

from_kansasland 8 years, 3 months ago

Shocked?! No, not at all! Let's face it folks, KU stinks this year. They've only beaten wimpy teams. This is going to be a loooooong year for Hawk fans. Hawk fans need to set their sights on next season!

bearded_gnome 8 years, 3 months ago

Congrats MSC!

and, if I read Punkrockmom's punditry right, ku basketball/men lost because the football team had a better season?

or, did ku basketball/men lose because there's only a ku/men/football team?
therefore, if we want a winning ku basketball/men team, we must start now to field a Ku/football/women team! okay, let's do it!

whaaaha wonder what kinda ticket sales you'd get for their games?

Prospector: your blowdrier comment, LOL!

Kristen Murphy 8 years, 3 months ago

EAT'EM UP, EAT'EM UP, K-S-U! All in due time....K-State would end the strike eventually....And oh what day to be a Wildcat...Way to go Jayhawks.

boogeyman 8 years, 3 months ago

ms_canada 8 years, 3 months ago

No OMB - the Manitoba Moose are part of the American Hockey League.

alsport 8 years, 3 months ago

After watching Bill Self the last couple of seasons, I am not surprised at who Kansas loses to anymore. Self has taken one of the top programs in the country and turned it into mediocity at best. What's really surprising that people in and around Kansas aren't calling for this guy's head. You keep talking about how he came into the program with someone else's recruits....so did Roy at North Carolina. Self needs to go and Jayhawks fans need to quit making excuses for him.

Liberty 8 years, 3 months ago

I guess that the Wildcats did not obey the smoking ban when they smoked the Jayhawks!

ms_canada 8 years, 3 months ago

The league is the Western Hockey League WHL and there are 20 teams in 4 divisions. This is major Junior hockey for 16 to 20 yrs. olds. I call it sort of semi pro as they do get paid, not much but some. And the billet home where the boys stay gets a food allowance.The boys come from as far away as the Czech Republic to play. The US division is Portland, Seattle, Everett, TriCities and Spokane. There are 3 Canadian divisions. There is also an Eastern Hockey League and in the spring there is the Memorial Cup game for the National championship
They get pretty good crowds at the games. The official count in Portland last nite was 11,733 fans. That is not peanuts. It is very good hockey. Hockey is a very exciting game, says I. :o) Please forgive the puffed up chest of a proud grama. :o)

Hong_Kong_Phooey 8 years, 3 months ago

No, I'm not shocked. Not with the way the Jayhawks are playing this year. I'll tell you what I am frustrated with. Brandon Rush. All of the Rush boys (Kareem, JaRon, Brandon) all seem to have unbelievable basketball talent. Unfortunately, Brandon seems to be just like his older brothers in that he's lazy. He shouldn't have to be bribed into playing hard each game when he's playing at a Div. I school!!

prospector 8 years, 3 months ago

one_more_bob

When were they enslaved?

There is an 'underground river' for those seeking liberation from Kansas and the freedom to say, "Life, is being a beach.". Check the muddy Kaw as testament to the rise in this movement. The government has all but given in to this exodus, though the Corp of Engineers is still saying (think officer Barbrady), " Move along, there's nothing to see here", or Alexander Haight(sp) when Reagan was shot, "I'm in control here". It makes me shiver, like a dip in the Kaw. Speaking of dips in the Kaw, they really can't be done safely kids, sorry. In addition, the fish eating ban could jeopardize the movement and we know that that if the ACLU caught wind of this (think which side of the waste water outlet you are on); we all know what goes downhill, right, but those guy would be up in here, hip waders and all!

Please keep your movements to your self thank you.

Arschloch 8 years, 3 months ago

OK I forgot, my name was Pat Robertson

Arschloch 8 years, 3 months ago

Pat Roberts here:
The Jayhawks losing was God's punishment.

one_more_bob 8 years, 3 months ago

Whoopie, Tbirds! Is that the same league with the Manitoba Moose?

prospector 8 years, 3 months ago

Grandma is proud, and rightfully so! Excellent and congratulation.

Thunderbirds? This slow old southern boy wonders what league they are in. Not NHL is it? That would be the next step for your rising star! ;0) Another Wayne in the making!

kpippen 8 years, 3 months ago

As Brandon Rush goes, so goes the Jayhawks.

Hes the only player that can bail Billy out of his crappy lineup choices and conservative offensive style.

Bucknell , now KSt at home, Niiiiiiiiceee job coach.

ms_canada 8 years, 3 months ago

Hey guys (and gals) I don't really care about what happened with the Jayhawks in Lawrence but I sure care what happened last nite in Seattle, Wash. with the Thunderbirds. (Hockey) Actually the game was in Portland, Ore. and the Thunderbirds won in a sudden death overtime score. And why do I care about that. Because my lovely grandson, Rob Klinkhammer now plays for Seattle Tbirds. He and two team mates were traded on Mon. had their cars tuned up, packed bags, said goodbye to family and girlfriends and headed out Tues. morning for a horrendous trip from Lethbridge AB in terrible road conditions. And we were able to watch the game on this computer. It was so exciting. Rob got a lot of ice time and when they made that last goal in the overtime, the camera zoomed in and we got a good view of our Robbie. He is a very big 19 yr. old. I say whoopie and please excuse my not caring about the jayhawks. Actually I have a little brass Jayhawk sitting right here in front of me on my desk courtesy of E_M

one_more_bob 8 years, 3 months ago

I blame the Free Soil Movement.

prospector 8 years, 3 months ago

Yes, but then I realized I was sitting in a puddle playing with a hair dryer.

Even_money

The "over- confidence" card was the JOKER!!!!

Careful, watch your back. Purell might be trying to sell you into slavery or indentured service. Do you do windows?

We still own Bramlage!!!!?

juscin3 8 years, 3 months ago

I was there at the game. I was really exicted to see our team play. But I did get disappointed in seeing them lose. We were by the K-State fans and it was funny seeing them try to out yell the jayhawk fans. Every time they did, we just yelled to our hearts content and out won them by the yelling match. At lest we won at something!!! LOL It's great to see rival teams play, but its even better when our Jayhawks win! Teams are goin to lose from time to time, but its great just seein them try. :)

even_money 8 years, 3 months ago

I feel terrible about this. The loss is all my fault. I got cocky after we established a cushy lead and figured correctly there wouldn't be a huge line at the car wash as long as the game was on.

Then I figured correctly it would be relatively easy to run to Home Depot for a few things I needed.

By the time I got home, annihilation had set in.

I shoulda sat there the whole while glued to the tube, white nuckles, the whole time cursing the team on. Instead, I played the 'over-confidence' card. It won't happen again. I promise :)

Pywacket 8 years, 3 months ago

Oh, boo hoo. I'm a KU alumna and I think it's good for the league, good for KU, and good for KSU. I like to see the underdogs knock the swaggering peacocks off their perch now and then--no matter who's on the perch or who's doing the knocking. KU has always had the snob thing going against KSU and maybe this will shut up a few of the most insufferable loudmouths, for a few minutes at least.

Look at it this way, Jayhawk fans-- how would you feel if KU had the same streak going with another team, only KU was on the losing side? Then how would you feel if KU went to their home court and won? Pretty damn good. You wouldn't be crying in your beers over the end of a magnificent streak or deconstructing the game (a la Purell). It's over. They lost.

So let KSU enjoy this. Nothing is forever and maybe a dose of humility will make KU more keen for the next win.

skippy 8 years, 3 months ago

I don't like to see KU lose any games, especially to the Wildcats. The Hawks are still a young team and will continue to get better. There is too much talent not to. Despite the disappointment I still find 2 things to be positive about. One - the win probably saved Woolridge's job for a little longer which is good for Hawk fans in the long run. Two - KSU still hasn't beaten a top 25 team !! The glass can still be half full... Go Jayhawks...

Goodfella 8 years, 3 months ago

Purell 8 years, 3 months ago

b N c,

Come on, I know you're smarter than that. Look at Bill's plan when he took over. He took over a team that was recruited and trained to run, but did he take advantage of it?
Look at the KU-KSU game. Did he tell Chalmers, "Hey that was a stupid shot, don't do it again?" The best KSU player was sitting out for fouls and we throw away a 12 point lead. Our offense couldn't penetrate their zone. All we had to do was hold on to the ball. Bill is too tenative. These players need the clear explicit direction because they are so young and they aren't getting it. I could go on and on, but suffice to say I've got even_money you've never coached.

Nikki May 8 years, 3 months ago

I think it's kinda funny. I mean, we start winning football games, and then losing basketball games. Oh well, it happens.

beer_N_cigarettes 8 years, 3 months ago

Purell,

What D1 basketball program have you coached? How about high school? Jr. High? Pickup ball in the drive-way?

Give the coach a chance to establish a program. Remember, he was "given" a couple of criminals to deal with as well as needing to clean-up a few other things.

One game or even one season does not establish a college program. Go learn the game, man.

Purell 8 years, 3 months ago

Shocked? No, I expect Bill Self to blow every streak we have. He can't coach, can't recruit anyone that will stay four years. He couldn't retain the players we had and he's dropped us out of the to 25 for the first time in over 20 years. I didn't care for Roy, but Bill is much worse.

Lew needs to go as well, but that's another page.

moron 8 years, 3 months ago

To Walt,

Hey buddy, considering the pattern, DON'T make it to a fourth KU game... and maybe not the fifth, sixth, seventh, etc. Thanks.