Previous   Next

When do you file your taxes?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 13, 2006

Browse the archives

“About the middle of tax season. I really just do them whenever we have time.”

“Very, very late. I actually don’t file taxes. I file extensions.”

“As soon as I get my W-2, because I always get a refund and I want my money. If I had to pay, I would probably wait until the last minute.”

“As soon as possible so I can get a faster return.”

Comments

Nikki May 9 years, 1 month ago

Just as soon as I get all the W-2s. I need money.

trinity 9 years, 1 month ago

ok i see from the chuck norris comments that i'm not the only one who reads "free for all" in the udk! ;)

taxes?? we don need no stinking TAXES! hmmmph!

ok-prior to this year i'd file the minute i got my w-2's, as i always got a refund; however this year my youngest lil' deduction is a student and earned too much money last year for me to claim her. woe is me! i will file at the very last second possible. :(

blessed3x 9 years, 1 month ago

We used to wait until April 15th, but since the child tax credit increases, our returns are HUGE which is very welcome for a large family on a single income. Now we file with the feds right away. We always owe the state, though (like everyone else), so they can wait until the last possible minute.

All I can say is thank you Mr. Bush for the increases in the child tax credit!!! I just hope they last.

bankboy119 9 years, 1 month ago

We file ASAP for federal because we get a refund and just like blessed we file to the state last minute....now that we're in MO I don't know if we're going to have to pay the state or not.

As for the stupid homeless article yesterday, I found this:

Home in Houston

In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, 27,000 people displaced by the storm found shelter in Houston, where they received health care, child care and assistance finding permanent housing and employment. Many chose to stay. But that did not stop two liberal advocacy groups from ranking Houston seventh in a list of cities practicing the worst treatment of the homeless.

The report - by The National Coalition for the Homeless and The National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty - cites Houston's laws banning sleeping in public, begging, sleeping on tables, using public restrooms for bathing and prohibiting people with offensive bodily hygiene from using public libraries.

• FOX News' Dominique Pastre contributed to this report

jonas 9 years, 1 month ago

Uno Mas Bob: I see you spend time reading the UDK's Free For All.

I don't do taxes. As fiat money for the bloated, invasive machine that is the US Imperial I mean, Federal Government, I see monetarily supporting this dictatorship to be hypocritical and of bad taste. . . . just don't take my house and street away.

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 9 years, 1 month ago

I know this is off topic but I haven't seen anything at all about it on the site.

Check out #2.

beatrice 9 years, 1 month ago

I file annually.

blessed: As far as thanking President Bush for the child tax credit, I just have to laugh. Don't you realize that your children (and everyone else's too) are the ones who will have to pay for this President's massive deficits? I'll bet they won't be thanking him when they are old enough to know better.

Finally, if your federal refunds are huge, than you are having too much withdrawn to begin with. Perhaps you should have less taken out so you can use more of your money throughout the year. Unless you like the idea of using the feds as an annual savings account, of course.

badger 9 years, 1 month ago

I used to have a ritual that I'd start my taxes at 4:30 on April 15 and have them at the post office by 5 (I have simple taxes; I've only ever once not filed the 1040EZ, and that was because in one year I'd gotten married, moved to a different state, worked five jobs, and now had a spouse with education costs and student loans).

Now, I pick some evening and spend about 20 minutes filing online, get my return direct deposited, and think no more of it.

This year will be a banner year for me, as I'll be filing my last state income tax return ever, for the half year I worked in Kansas. I plan to do a ritual little dance around my final state return, and never ever file another one.

I don't even mind the higher sales tax (it's only about half a percent higher here than in Lawrence, anyway), because it means one less annoying form for me to fill out anyway.

And, yeah, if you're getting 'huge refunds' you're wasting your money. Decrease the amount deducted, work out how much the difference is for each paycheck, and have that amount automatically transferred to a savings account on payday. You'll make interest. If you do it the 'have too much deducted and then get a big lump sum back' approach, you're giving the government all that interest. Maybe it's only a couple bucks a year, but darn it, that's YOUR couple bucks! If you like the windfall feeling of 'Oh my golly I just magically have two grand!' then call every March 4th or June 26th or some other arbitrary day Savings Windfall Day and go blow two grand on something.

Automatic transfer is the best account tool ever. I have a set sum pulled out of my checking account every week, and my savings grow without me ever having to think about it or be 'good' and set money aside I might want to spend. Because sometimes I work overtime and sometimes I don't, what I call my 'discretionary income' is just what I have left after the bills are paid. If that money never makes it into the 'discretionary income', then I'm never tempted to spend it on frivolous things.

joshs_mom 9 years, 1 month ago

We usually use a computerized program to complete out tax returns, but actually wait to send them in till the last minute. Now that we are a 2 income family, we always owe. Off topic, Foxnews.com has picked up on the meanest city rankings. They also picked up the pix of the lady from yesterday's story. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,181548,00.html

yeah_right 9 years, 1 month ago

I am filing as soon as possible. I am expecting a big refund. We bought a house this year, had a baby, took in our two nephews and I paid a butt load in student loan interest this year. We'll see.

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 9 years, 1 month ago

Well I'm embarrassed...I didn't see the article yesterday about the ranking of Lawrence. That's what I get for working and not being able to get online.

gccs14r 9 years, 1 month ago

I've been claiming S2 (I have no kids) on my W-4 for years so that I always have to pay (no sense in giving the government free use of my money), but this year the year-end bite from KS will hurt a bit, so for 06 I changed just my State withholding to S1. Federal is still S2. As long as I don't get hit with the penalty for under-withholding, it's all good.

enochville 9 years, 1 month ago

I obviously have to wait until I get all the W-2 forms. We are still waiting on one.

badger 9 years, 1 month ago

I am currently apartment dwelling, but I expect to combine living establishments with an established member of said landed gentry next year. We compared numbers, and the amount paid last year for property taxes was roughly equivalent to the total amount that would have been paid in taxes had the house and income been in Kansas subject to both property and state income tax. This didn't take into account that the 3-bedroom 2-bath house on a medium-sized lot in a decent neighborhood would have cost several thousand more in Lawrence unless we chose to live in East or North Lawrence (the neighborhood it's in is in South Austin, but outside the 'hip' area, and the house itself had truly horrendous paint, fixtures, carpeting, landscaping, and interior shelving).

When there are two incomes, though, the difference tilts in Texas' favor, because the property tax doesn't increase, but the overall state income tax would. House values in our area aren't increasing as fast as they are in Lawrence, it seems.

However, the trap is that with two incomes, we'll be able to bank most of one and save for a bigger house that will cost us more in property tax.

Drat.

joshs_mom 9 years, 1 month ago

Hey Badger, Just now realized you are an "Austinite." My younger sister and her husband love Austin but wish they could buy instead of rent. They just can't afford it. He's finishing up his pharmacy degree at UT-Austin. She has a MSW and has just had her first "real" job for about a year now. She has lived in Texas for about 6 yrs now and is used to how much more everythings seems to cost down there. We went down there for her wedding last May and were very surprised. We were amazed at the urban "sprawl" but enjoyed everything the city had to offer, there were so may neat shops and my husband, my son and my dad went on a day canoe trip and still could get back and ready for the wedding at 6pm. My sister says she would never leave Austin now.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 1 month ago

OMB, can you really do that much with a dremel? Personally, I prefer my saws-all, JB Weld, and duct tape anyday. No sir, a girl cannot live without JB Weld and duct tape!

Taxes: I pay mine quarterly so it seems as though I'm always doing taxes. Oh cr@p, they're due Sunday...better go write a couple more checks! Good thing I picked up all those 2 cent stamps.

avhjmlk 9 years, 1 month ago

Just waiting for my husband's random w2 from Philmont Scout Ranch (I hear ya, enochville). I'm interested to see what NM's state income tax requirements are for out-of-staters, unless we get lucky and NM doesn't have state income tax.

I'll count on TurboTax to magically calculate our return and wait for it to land in our bank account. It took 4 days last year (filed in early February). Ahhhh!

You know, I use TurboTax because it was directly recommended by my federal income tax law professor...He's one of the smartest guys I've ever met, so I figure if he uses it, so should I!

Ceallach 9 years, 1 month ago

Turbo tax is great. I have used it for several years. I also have a small business at home but that program makes doing your own taxes quite easy. I usually do mine sometime in February.

enochville 9 years, 1 month ago

avhjmlk: Hey, I went to Philmont when I was 13!