Previous   Next

Would you have any reservations about receiving synthetic blood?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 10, 2006

Browse the archives

“I don’t think so as long as it works. I’ve never even heard of it.”

“No. None at all. Blood is blood, even if it’s fake.”

“No. As long as it’s going to save my life, I’m OK with it.”

“I would have reservations because I don’t know anything about it. If I read some research on it, I might be more comfortable with it.”

Related story

Comments

bearded_gnome 8 years, 3 months ago

no, and He11 no!

in reading about this, some of the risks of exposure to pathogens/viruses are too high!

am getting the refusal bracelets for self and Mrs. Gnome.

no, am not a ludite, but am keenly aware of some medical flops in the past, which were released shy of proper testing.

and, kinda late, but thought would mention: last week checkers had standing rib roasts on sale for darned good price.
so, if you remember my roast method w/the crust...the roast is in the crust right now and will roast tomorrow in the mid day.
you could probably find my house just by cruising east lawrence for a few minutes and home in on the pepper garlic and standing rib aroma.

this time, I used pepper corns besides ground, one and a half heads of garlic, chilipowder/cumin.

was in topeka today...now, there's a town that could use some gnomes, or at least a sense of humor!

shlehman 8 years, 3 months ago

Jim Moore is the biggest waste of an insurance rep!!! I wouldn't wish him upon my worst enemy!!!

oldfashiongirl 8 years, 3 months ago

This sorta shakes me up, as I have numerous blood transfusions because I am anemic and have a very low blood count. Had 5 transfusions(2 pints ea.) in 9 days at the hospital. It was not because of trauma or an emergency, so I don't know what I got. Someone said it is OK to get the plastic stuff until you can get to a hospital for the real thing. I will call tomorrow and see what it was they gave me.

Have been eating crow all week because your very excellent KU basketball team beat my beloved UK Wildcats' socks off. Of course KU had home court advantage, but that does not take away from the fact they did an outstanding job. Gotta run now and watch my UK play Vanderbilt on UK's home court.

Hannibal_Lecter 8 years, 3 months ago

Blood is so hard to get off the ceiling; I hope the synthetic comes out easier.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 3 months ago

OMB, I override TOB, you can start making sense again.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 3 months ago

"...not any strange potions or portions in thy mouth..." Perry 5:33

Does this include toothpaste, dentures, Keystone Light, and velveeta cheese?

BunE 8 years, 3 months ago

There is no way that synthetic blood or any other non-god designed material should be put into the body. That would be un-christian.

"Put not any strange potions or portions in thy mouth for it shall endeth your line of sight to the glory. " - the book of Perry 5:33

If god had meant us to have synthetic blood he would have made us fake.

one_more_bob 8 years, 3 months ago

We are Dyslexia of Borg, futility is resistant, your @ss will be laminated!

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 3 months ago

Consumer - I'd merely be happy with a borg that does my laundry and washes my car.

fleeba 8 years, 3 months ago

how long is this "study" going to last?

consumer1 8 years, 3 months ago

synthetic blood, mechanical parts, what is next a borg that fights our wars???? I vill be Bach...

one_more_bob 8 years, 3 months ago

Cabbages, knickers, it hasn't got a beak.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 3 months ago

Synthetic blood? What the hell is that? Never heard of it.

even_money 8 years, 3 months ago

If your hubby ever finds out, he'll be looking to dig my ditch!

I'll let ya know how the polyheme works out :)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 3 months ago

prospector, e_m has already posted my picture. But to keep my identity a secret he referred to me as "Sylvia." Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!;)

prospector 8 years, 3 months ago

Care to see the picture? HEY HEY HEY ;;)

badger 8 years, 3 months ago

This product could save millions of lives in ways most people can't imagine. It will make a difference here in the US, though not as much of one as elsewhere. We're pretty lucky with our LifeFlight and our decent-sized medical centers scattered across the landscape. Other situations and places, not so much. For example, look at Africa, where the hospitals are minimal and every blood transfusion (if you can even find someone to perform it and someone to donate the blood) carries a real HIV risk. Or combat trauma, with a medic able to drop a line of artificial blood into a soldier and increase his chances of getting back to real medical care. This has the potential to revolutionize primitive medicine all over the world.

I'd do it in a heartbeat.

prospector 8 years, 3 months ago

Try anything in an emergency. If elective surgery is needed, leave a couple o'pints at the hospital, pre-op, just in case(replace immediately with pints o'beer). If not needed, I would sell it to Hannibal to help defray medical costs and allow for the stocking up of pain meds.

Sun_sue Per the Tara/curtians comment yesterday:

HEY HEY HEY- We know! ;0)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 3 months ago

OMB, my head hurts! e_m, I'm beginning to agree with Nicholas:)

even_money 8 years, 3 months ago

Try telling that to Nicholas :)

bankboy119 8 years, 3 months ago

Everyone keeps talking about being in a dire situation...did anybody read about the doctors that were killing the dogs and bringing them back to life? They would freeze them to keep them "alive" per se and then unfreeze them and bring them back to life. They're trying to perfect the technology to be able to use it on mortally wounded soldiers in battle. Pretty creepy if you ask me though.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 3 months ago

OMB, very interesting. What's with blood types M,N,&P? Never heard of them.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 3 months ago

No. Not at all. Pretty much if you are in a dire situation this stuff will keep you ticking till you get to a hospital. Then you are back on the real stuff.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 3 months ago

Any old port in a storm will do! I know someone with stainless steel and Gortex in their heart. That little bit of metal and fabric saved their life. That same said person donates blood regularly. I'd get on here and preach about donating blood but I, myself, don't do it. (My pressure bottoms out and I puke and pass out.) But all the same, if you can, then do. I really should because I'm A-. It's been awhile...maybe I'll try again.

even_money 8 years, 3 months ago

What happens if the stuff turns one polytheistic? Or into a Polyanna?

A polytheistic Polyanna. Eeegads!

one_more_bob 8 years, 3 months ago

I'd be sure to write a thank-you note to the manufacturer.

blessed3x 8 years, 3 months ago

Does Boog know that Nick has taken up Dadaism?

Nick, don't step on Boog's toes!

blue73harley 8 years, 3 months ago

"Blood is blood even if it is fake"? WTF!

kansasdaughter 8 years, 3 months ago

I suppose it would be not much different than having a replacement part such as a knee or hip, so I would be okay with it's use during an emergency. Instead of 'Polyheme' I think we should call it 'Frankenblood'.

Marion Lynn 8 years, 3 months ago

Were I to find myslef in a situation in which I needed an emergency transfusion I would much rather deal with any small risk that might be associated with blood replecment than run the risk of recieving blood contaminated with Hep C, HIV/AIDS or other blood-borne pathogen.

Blood carring such maladies still slip though the cracks in the system from time to time.

Thanks.