Previous   Next

Do you write thank-you notes after you receive presents?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 8, 2006

Browse the archives

“No. I guess I’m just a bad person - inside and out.”

“Yes, I do. I was encouraged to by my mother at an early age. She always led me to believe it was the polite thing to do, especially around Christmas.”

“No. I just don’t have enough time, and I tell them thank you in person.”

“I try to if I remember, but most of the time I don’t.”

Related story

Comments

mr_sassy_pantsss 8 years, 11 months ago

Thank you for the wonderful gift you gave me. The person that I "regifted" it to seemed to be very pleased with it as I had no use for the hideous thing. Thanks again.

corporate_sleaze 8 years, 11 months ago

Dear CEO/Boss,

Thank you for the one percent raise that you gave me and all the other employees in the company. I really appreciate it, especially when you said the company is experiencing such hard economic times.

Heck, when we (all the other employees) add our raises together it almost equals 1/100th of the raise you received.

Oh, and thanks for increasing the employee protion of health insurance costs. After all, that big bonus you received had to come from somewhere.

enochville 8 years, 11 months ago

Geez, Azure, you are not a bad person for not writing thank-you notes. I only write thank you notes for gifts from weddings, baby showers, etc.

grimpeur 8 years, 11 months ago

Form letter for wedding gift thank-you cards:

Dear __,

Thanks for the great _. We'll think about you every time we _.

mefirst 8 years, 11 months ago

I always express gratitude. It's a value I was taught from a very young age: when someone gives you something...say thanks. Saying thanks takes many forms e.g. phone calls, emails, thank you cards. Every gift I gave this year had to be mailed. Not one of the recipients even notified me that they received the gift. I think that's a sign of our culture...we've become a very "entitled," society and we're raising little ingrates.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 11 months ago

I thank the person verbally. If I can't do that, then I will send a note.

What's the plural for alias? Aliases?

trinity 8 years, 11 months ago

ow goodfella, is that not just a little harsh??

rhd99 8 years, 11 months ago

Heck, I think if the politicians REALLY wanted to show that they have respect for the people, they would write a thank you note, not to each person, but to the news organizations & to the communities at large. Sounds like it's alot to ask, but one can dream, can't they? I do write thank-yous by hand, but I also do them by E-mails. I wholeheartedly disagree with whoever that says e-mails aren't as personable. They aren't huh? Prove it.

rhd99 8 years, 11 months ago

By the way, WOTS, congratulations to my fellow Jayhawk fans after yesterday's great game & UPSET of Kentucky. Way to go, Brandon Rush & team.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 8 years, 11 months ago

Elizabeth Johnson needs to take a reality check. A junior in High School cannot possibly be so busy that they can't find two minutes somewhere to write a thank-you note. At least be honest with yourself and admit that you just choose not to.

I prefer to say my thanks in person. I find getting personalized stationary with a "Thanks so much for the gift. Blah, blah, blah" to be a little pretentious.

ruette 8 years, 11 months ago

Absolutely agree with mefirst! The inconsideration of lots of people, most of them young, is beyond belief.
I try to send handwritten notes for most gifts, including dinner invitations or other thoughtfulnesses, but also agree that an email will suffice. How hard could it be for these people to dash off a virtual message to say they received the gift and are grateful for the kindness....unless of course they aren't......

snaptybean 8 years, 11 months ago

It generally takes much longer to select and purchase a gift than it does for the recipient to write a note of thanks. I was taught the concept at a young age and have encouraged (and expected...okay, DEMANDED) that my children do the same (as long as they lived with me). A thank-you phone call or in person will suffice, but to totally ignore or disregard someone's generosity is a most ungracious act. I have quit sending gifts to nieces, nephews, and other relatives who don't have the courtesy to acknowledge they received a gift I sent. I agree with the "entitlement" comment posted earlier...what a society we are becoming.

Tanya Spacek 8 years, 11 months ago

wonder how she's related to Austin SittingUp.

I write thank you notes, and I make my kids write them, too. I even have them write thank you notes for Christmas gifts if the person lived far away and wasn't able to be thanked in person.

gccs14r 8 years, 11 months ago

snaptybean,

I agree. My mom didn't make us write thank-you notes, the excuse being that the postage was too high. Truth be known, the postage cut into her beer budget. I still don't write notes, but as a result I exchange gifts only with those persons whom I see during the holidays. I figure that if you're in their house during the exchange, a thank-you note isn't necessary. I'd much rather have a kiss or a handshake than a card any day.

beer_N_cigarettes 8 years, 11 months ago

gccs14r,

The high price of beer and cigarettes makes it very hard to stick to a budget. Sometimes sacrafices have to be made.

lunacydetector 8 years, 11 months ago

i think brandon rush needs to send a thank you to ashley jugg for MAYBE looking at him.

actually, she looked like something the cat dragged in. perhaps a little too much vodka the night before, or she caught the red-eye flight to watch the game. regardless, she didn't look too good at all. hollywood make-up artists must be paid in gold.