Previous   Next

Would you rather watch Texas play USC in the Rose Bowl or KU play Yale tonight?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 4, 2006

Browse the archives

“I’m actually going to the KU game for free. If I wasn’t going, I’d be watching the Rose Bowl.”

“I would definitely rather watch the KU game, because I’m a KU fan and I don’t really watch football.”

“I’d rather watch Texas and USC, because it’s the Rose Bowl. It should be a close game.”

“Texas and USC. I’m more of a football fan. Even though I like KU basketball, it should be an easy victory for them, and the Rose Bowl should be a great matchup.”

Related stories

Comments

Nikki May 9 years, 3 months ago

I probably will watch neither. I may catch a few minutes of each, but with the kids going wild, likely not spending several hours on one thing.

U2freak 9 years, 3 months ago

KU basketball all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Forget about Texas and USC

Jayhawk226 9 years, 3 months ago

One more week until Lost returns with new episodes!

classclown 9 years, 3 months ago

And four more weeks until Lost shows reruns again? Anybody remember the good ole' days when reruns didn't appear until after the season was over?

enochville 9 years, 3 months ago

Hmmm. You know basketball games are only 2 hours long and football games are about 4 to 4.5 hours long. I think one could probably watch both, provided that they miss some of the football game. But, I only watch games that have teams I care about, so I'll only watch the KU game.

neopolss 9 years, 3 months ago

I do classclown. With the way shows are being done now, I often forget about them.

I'll watch KU tonight.

Nice job LJW on that miner story (end sarcasm). I noticed it was absent from your online edition.

trinity 9 years, 3 months ago

there's always the csi option-is not that show on like every night of the week?? the thursday night edition is my fave, grissom is a hottie! ;)

i'm going to be my bball junkie self, tho. :) go hawks!

jpine has rather a pained, or frantic, or deer-in-headlights expression, no? paint fumes no doubt.

badger 9 years, 3 months ago

Most likely, I'll be reading.

I'm staying in tonight, because everywhere in the city will have a television tuned to the Rose Bowl and lots of very loud people.

hawkrew 9 years, 3 months ago

Always KU, there should only be checking on the rose bowl during commercials or halftime of the bball game.

Topside 9 years, 3 months ago

To even suggest that anything could replace me watching a KU game is an insult. I have refused to go to weddings because of KU games!

Topside 9 years, 3 months ago

Correction that is wedding "showers" and other activities.

Topside 9 years, 3 months ago

OMB- ZULU?! are you talking about that old crappy war movie?

betti81 9 years, 3 months ago

Both. Mostly the KU game, but we have more than one t.v. in my house, so both will be on. I am not a Texas fan per se, but I love the thought of a Big 12 team winning their bowl game. I have watched most of them and was always cheering for the Big 12.

Aiko 9 years, 3 months ago

I will and Texas will win by 14 points or more. Hook Em' horns!

sunflower_sue 9 years, 3 months ago

I agree with Trinity: Grissom is a hottie! (It's the beard!)

I'd rather watch KU but I'll be reading a book tonight. My neighbor wrote her 2nd novel and someday when she's published, I can say I got to write on her copies with red ink. Too much fun.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 3 months ago

I meant to say...if I HAD to watch one, I would rather watch KU.

Ceallach 9 years, 3 months ago

trinity & sue: We have to wait until tomorrow night for Grissom, tonight is "Criminal Minds" ;) and KU Basketball of course.

Zulu -- I love that movie -- or is it Michael Caine -- anyway, good choice omb.

Didn't we already know that dodos are not extinct in Kansas? For those who do not know just watch a city commission meeting or ponder the reason for all the roundabouts in our fair city.

trinity 9 years, 3 months ago

ceallach&ss-i'm glad i'm not the only one who is a grissom groupie! :) he's my fantasy guy, lol-the mind, plus those eyes...sigh. wonder if that guys' as cool in real life-or just another actor?? nah hever mind-i want my grissom!

yale, yale...isn't that the hasty pudding bunch? or is that harvard? :p just kidding. i'll tune in to the 'Hawk game!

and the lady hawks-WOW, way to go girls! they're having an exceptional season, aren't they??

Ceallach 9 years, 3 months ago

"You'd rather watch an underachieving, badly coached hoops team opposed to the natl championship?"

You betcha!! Pip, I can't believe you are such a fair weather friend :) They are OUR (my) underachieving, badly coached hoops team -- that's why most of L-town roots for them. Teams come and go, KU B-Ball fans remain :)

ms_canada 9 years, 3 months ago

ceallach - Criminal Minds was on last nite here. CSI:NY is on tonite and that gorgeous Grissom for 2 hours tomorrow nite. Yummy! But Rose Bowl it will be. Now for the levity. NAKED AND SPIRIT-FREE A guru in India was arrested for forcing a woman to strip and breaking coconuts over her head. The holy man claimed he was exorcising her evil spirits.

hawkrew 9 years, 3 months ago

Posted by Ceallach (anonymous) on January 4, 2006 at 10:30 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Right on Ceallach

glockenspiel 9 years, 3 months ago

The previous channel button -->my freind :-)

Ceallach 9 years, 3 months ago

Thanks hawk, I've never been called a parrot -- I vaguely recall the term "shrew" being used but never parrot -- I think it must be a compliment :)

ms_c: CM @ 8, CSI:NY @ 9, I'll do little work at home tonight :)

Sounds like the holy man should have been exorcising his own evil spirits unless they meant he was trying to "exercising" her evil spirits :- pretty ugly either way!

Pip, you are right, Bill does have a lot of work to do (I forgot to add that coaches come and go also :)

enochville 9 years, 3 months ago

Does anyone know how Texas shared the crown in 1970? I just read that in the accompanying article.

delegatezero: Don't you think you are a little low with your guess of Texas 24 USC 20? I saw that each team is averaging about 50 points a game. You must really count on a strong defensive play from both sides.

I'd go for a 38-35 Texas win.

linux_chick 9 years, 3 months ago

I'm pulling for Texas to stomp USC so we can get a little bit more of our reputation back after they slaughtered us.

ccourt 9 years, 3 months ago

The Rose Bowl, wherein I will be cheering for So Cal to hand the arrogant Texans, who think they run the world, a ritualistic beating. As for the KU game, I can remember when another Ivy League team, Brown, came in here early in Roy's tenure and we laid a 115-45 beat down on them. Unfortunately, given our current winning ugly system and personnel, we won't be missing much if we don't see tonight's 73-51 yawner.

acg 9 years, 3 months ago

Don't forget surfing. It's the only sport that involves a shark. That's awesome! :)

canyon_wren 9 years, 3 months ago

I haven't had TV for over 40 years, but may go watch KU at my daughter's house if we can get it out here in Utah. As far as Texas and USC are concerned, I'm glad to see Texas get beat anytime.

Grissom sounds good enough to make me wish I HAD TV. Maybe I'd better check HIM out, too.

ms_canada 9 years, 3 months ago

Prospector - there was a picture with one of the humourous items but I really don't think that LJW would allow me to post the story let alone the picture. It was about an oriental man who pulled a truck a few meters with a rope tied to his you know what, (starts with p)

ms_canada 9 years, 3 months ago

Ok Bob - I'll leave that one out. Use your imagination or mayby not.

trinity 9 years, 3 months ago

rico suave or not, i'd be a huckleberry to get a free meal at mccormick&schmick(or however ya spell it, lol) ;)

yep canyon, check out grissom-a definite hottie in my book! :)

"high styling pontification", gotta love it...

y'all have just turned an otherwise drudgery day in to fun!

linux_chick 9 years, 3 months ago

hmmm, hawkrew. I honestly don't even think USC has a chance. Well, maybe one: RB.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 3 months ago

I've seen the "p" pull. owie. That has to hurt.

My predictions:

USC - 42, Texas 14 KU - 73, Yale 68

The Goots has spoken.

Ceallach 9 years, 3 months ago

canyon: Grissom is definitely worth getting a TV and with cable you can watch him pretty much every night. Stop me before I start writing a new novel, "In Praise of the Middle Aged Man." ;)

cowgomoo 9 years, 3 months ago

Watch KU for sure. This is the last go around for Max and every game is something special just for that.

Max came to my wedding 17 years ago and I still get a scowl from my wife when I talk about that very memorable day when I got to talk KU basketball with Max Falkenstein for quite awhile!

BadSpider 9 years, 3 months ago

National Championship game. who cares about yale!!! If KU were to lose to this team then the season is over. this non con game would be like Miami playing Baker in baseball during the Final Four. Who cares!! True sport fans want to watch elite teams battle against each other. Not a 8th grader playing against a 5th grader in bball on the driveway.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 3 months ago

Grissom is hot but I can bet he ain't no Bob.

ms_canada 9 years, 3 months ago

Gootsie - the article about the p pull mentioned a specialized training. What do you suppose that entailed? No pun itended. he he!! Oh, oh. I'll just bet sunflower sue is going to flog me with a wet noodle over that one.

oldfashiongirl 9 years, 3 months ago

Hi y'all:

kpippen: You said, "They'll beat Kentucky sat...." You're out of your mind!!. I'm a long time fan of Kentucky's Univ. of Ky Wildcats, especially basketball and all I can say, "we're going to whoop the socks or pants off KU." I was planning on going to Lawrence, but thought my life may be in danger if I rooted for UK on your turf, remembering the question asked last Fall, "Is there anything good you can say about Missouri?" Since there were scads of mean-spirited hate comments about Missouri, I guess I won't go. May the best team win and whoever loses shall eat the proper amount of crow.

Been missing you all, have been in hospital and Ms. C the carrot pudding stayed in fridge too long and afraid it had mold on it when I removed the towel and was afraid to eat it. But I did cheat when I made it almost 4 weeks ago, and scooped out a serving when it was warm and it was delicious, even without the lemon sauce!!. Will try again this Christmas. Hope you enjoyed your visit with your family.

GO UK WILDCATS!!!!!

ms_canada 9 years, 3 months ago

Oldfashionedgirl - I trust you are fully recovered from whatever put you in hospital. That is too bad about the pudding, you know I did not even get one taste of the pudding I made. There was just too much else to eat. I'll have to wait until next year also. Take care. Oh and yes, we had a most lovely visit with my daughter, her two boys and our son at Christmas.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 3 months ago

Ms_C, my hubby does his "specialized training" with push-ups...well, you asked! Right now he is exersizing his control over the remote. Bowl game flip KU game flip Bowl game flip........ And I would never flog you with a wet noodle! A frozen sausage, maybe, but only from a distance.

Canyon Wren, look up William Peterson (a.k.a. Gil Grissom) on cbs.com. He's a corn-fed, IL born, midwest boy. He also played football for Idaho State back in the day...I'd say back in his "prime" but I think he's now in it. I don't know that you would get the full effect by just seeing his picture, though. There is just something inexplicably attractive about that man. purring sounds here

sunflower_sue 9 years, 3 months ago

Oldfashionedgirl, hope you are all better from whatever! Take care, you!

Ceallach 9 years, 3 months ago

Oldfashionedgirl: Good to hear from you, I too hope you are fully recovered -- that was a long stay!! I was away from the board for a while but it was due to multiple waves of family visits and then recovery time :)

Ceallach 9 years, 3 months ago

ms_c: Is there an online reference to the specialized training -- without it I'm inclined to think you are just pulling our . . . leg :)

btw, Criminal Minds is a rerun tonight :( Do you think they were worried about their ratings since KU is also playing

ms_canada 9 years, 3 months ago

ceallach et al - Grandmaster Tu Jin-Sheng, a practitioner of Qigong, the ancient Chinese art of movement and breathing performed the feat for a BBC-TV documentary called P.... Envy

Ceallach 9 years, 3 months ago

All y'all have a good night! I'm having migraine problems so I am now thoroughly drugged and off to bed.

Manana

canyon_wren 9 years, 3 months ago

S.Sue--thanks a lot for the tip. I did check Grissom out. He has cool eyes! I'm sure you're right about the inadequacy of "still" photos. I'll have to watch one of the shows.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 3 months ago

and from the brits......came *canadians [eeegads!].

MSC, how do you get this stuff!

aren't you the one on naughty bits patrol!

answer the ots question: flip or flop, zig or zag...drag or lisft...twas fox news on here...the eeevilll dreaded right wing propaganda machine!

as I said last night about this time, this was a lame question, ots only enlivened by testosterone pissing matches including w/marion, msc's levity, and some envy by some women over some guy on the little screen. ... hope the prime minister of israel pulls out okay.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 3 months ago

Wow - I missed some good stuff by watching sports and subsequently falling asleep during them.

I think his training had to do with the kids in preschool or something...