Previous   Next

How do you feel about Dick Vermeil’s retirement?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 3, 2006

Browse the archives

“I thought he was a good coach. I think he cared a lot for his players and brought a different aspect to the game through his emotion.”

“It’s too bad we couldn’t make it to the playoffs for his last year. I think he had a great career and he will be missed.”

“He was a good coach and I’m happy for him. Just tell him to take Carl Peterson with him.”

“He already retired once from the Rams, so who knows if he’s going to stay retired this time.”

Comments

Nikki May 9 years, 6 months ago

yeah, and hire some people. Still haven't seen a barista in awhile.

audvisartist 9 years, 6 months ago

Vermeil is one of the last few "old school" coaches left and it's too bad that he's retiring. The faces he made during interviews were just classic!

Jclarkson 9 years, 6 months ago

Being that Vermiel is 69 years old, I figure this could be his last retirement. However, its not a surprise since its been speculated for so long. It sucked not seeing the Chiefs get to the playoffs, however, they can only blame themselves. Im sure they wished they could take back those Dallas and Philly chokejobs.

neopolss 9 years, 6 months ago

I'm ready for a new coach and a new style of play for the Chiefs. I wasn't big on the west coast style, I've always preferred the old stlye of heavy run and crushing defense. All that flash and pizazz doesn't win games.

conservativepunker 9 years, 6 months ago

Who cares? Football is a stupid barbaric sport that brings out the worst in people.

ms_canada 9 years, 6 months ago

I do hope that he enjoys his leisure time now that he has retired. Now for my New Year resolve of levity each morning entitiled MEAT MISSILE A motorist in Essex, England suffered a broken nose when someone going in the opposite direction, fired a frozen sausage through his car window. The ambulance driver said, "It must have been an incredibly lucky shot to get the sausage through a moving car window."

sunflower_sue 9 years, 6 months ago

Huh, Huh! Ms_C said "meat missile."

Dick V.: It's time. I'm tired of the chief's being the best team to consistently not make the playoffs. We have the fans, now let's get a new coach and maybe some defense. I did like D.V. We just need someone who can get 'er done! No, I have no suggestions other than all of my "armchair" coaches who seem to do better from the comfort of the couch.

badger 9 years, 6 months ago

The retirement will make absolutely no difference in my daily life.

Conservativepunker, I must disagree. Football is no more or less barbaric than any sport, and a sport is only as civilized as those who participate in and follow it. Like most stressful situations, it brings out the deeper nature of those involved. In some cases, that nature is brutal and greedy and vicious. In others, that nature is fair, sportsmanlike, and honorable. A bully, put into a uniform of any sort, is just a bully who looks like everyone around him, and a decent man, put into the same uniform, retains his decency.

It really does depend on the atmosphere of the team and the individuals in the game, as well as the response of the fans.

pepper_bar 9 years, 6 months ago

Vermeil was one of the NFL's elite head coaches. There is no way the Chiefs improve on him.

ms_canada 9 years, 6 months ago

Hey listen here susy, if that story was good enough for the Toronto Globe and Mail, a highly respectable newspaper, I might add, surely it is good enough for LJWorld. What do you think?

ms_canada 9 years, 6 months ago

Actually they did. The Yard took Commander Adam Dalgleish off the case of The Flying Spaghetti Monster especially to locate the dastardly perpetrator of this heinous crime. And catch him he did. The perp had a small cooler full of frozen sausages. Think how many noses were saved by the good Commander's quick deductions.

bankboy119 9 years, 6 months ago

Pepper, key word in your first sentence is "was." In his 5 years with the Chiefs we've been to the playoffs 1 time. I'm pretty sure we can improve.

My pick: Pete Carroll....but since that isn't going to happen I really don't know who I would go with. There aren't too many coaches in the NFL I would be interested in having. The coaches at the good programs aren't going to be lured away. All the talk about Herm Edwards is overrated. We'd have to give up a lot with him still under contract and I don't think it would be worth it.

DV, great run but I'm glad that you made this decision.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 6 months ago

Neopolss: What crack are you smoking?! "All that flash and pizzaz doesn't win games"?! Uh...yeah it does. The Chiefs have had more points in the last four years than any other team. They have had the most potent offense in the NFL. The 49ers won a zillion superbowls with the West Coast offense. The Rams won the superbowl with the West Coast offense. In fact, most teams of late to win the superbowl have done it with...the West Coast offense.

conservativepunker 9 years, 6 months ago

Defender- Never wanted to be on the team. Can't stand the game. And it does bring out the worst in people----I have witnessed a neighbor trash 3 windows in his house because "his team lost". Boo Freakin Hoo. By the way...ever notice how a lot of folks refer to it as "We Won" and "THEY lost"?

badger 9 years, 6 months ago

conservativepunker:

Perhaps football brings out the worst in some people. It also brings out the best in others.

For example, I'm in Austin Texas, where everyone is full-on atizzy for some football game or other (the Daisy Bowl?) tomorrow night. Restaurants, bars, and pizza places are expecting utterly insane levels of business.

So, what are they doing? A number of the bars and restaurants have already said it will be a 'benefit' night for them, with a certain portion of their proceeds going to various charities, from aid to the Katrina evacuees still unhoused in the city, to children's charities, to environmental causes. No one made them do it. It seemed like the first one said, "I'll share my bounty," and lots of others said, "What a great idea!"

Does this make your neighbor any less of a jerk? Nope. But it does make him less representative of 'all football fans everywhere.'

I also don't remember Lawrence businesses doing anything of the sort a few years ago when KU was playing for a basketball championship, so perhaps it's not that 'football is bad and violent,' but rather that 'some people are violent, and some people are compassionate, and situations about which someone feels strongly are likely to bring out the dominant characteristics of their personalities in any case.'

avhjmlk 9 years, 6 months ago

TOB--you'd like my husband, then. We've got two 5-gal kegs of homebrew in our house...and some homemeade mead.

beatrice 9 years, 6 months ago

"Football incorporates the two worst elements of American society: violence punctuated by committee meetings." -- George Will

acg 9 years, 6 months ago

Bea, that was a great quote. I can't wait to go home and tell it to my hubby. :)

bearded_gnome 9 years, 6 months ago

MSC: that was funny! that sausage assailant should open a school for sausage throwing/propelling, he's pretty good! the weinermobile could help publicize it?

ots question: barely aware of it, don't care, Kansas city has a professional foobah team?

yeah, still no baristas' comments! where can we turn to find out what Barista's are thinking? the ljw is obviously exhibiting Baristaphobia, and needs to get over its complex!

"barista and the Chefs..." LOL.

bankboy119 9 years, 6 months ago

OMB, how can you say it was all too sad for the Texans? They won, rather, lost, the Reggie Bush Bowl....either way they have the first round pick and can either trade for some great players/personnell or get the next Gale Sayers. I'd say it turned out all right for them.

killjoy 9 years, 6 months ago

Tomorrow's question: What would you do with Fred Phelps... and you could get away with it?

bearded_gnome 9 years, 6 months ago

"in a just world, what should happen to Fred; and fergett about gettin' away with it!"

now, I bet following the lameness of this week's ots questions, bet it [tomorrow's question] will be on the order of: 1. "what is your favorite christmas color?" 2. did you get a gift you wanted" [never mind, two recent close questions like this![] 3. what about lint? 4. does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost over night?" 5. do you sweep or vaccuum? 6. does the slope of your roof mirror the slope of your forehead?" 7. do you read 'on the street' in the 'lawrence journal world,' and anxiously await the next question?" 8. do you change your socks when you change your underwear? 9. why is Topeka? 10. do dogs or cats hold the real undiscovered secret of life and inner communication?"

just wait...tomorrow's question is a short time away, but I'll be ZZZZZZ then!

'night all. and, try not to injure each other.

shanefivedyes 9 years, 5 months ago

He was a gift.... A gift from santa claus

Linda Endicott 9 years, 5 months ago

Loved the "meat missile" story...I've always said that if anyone breaks into my place, to hell with the guns...I'd just grab a pork chop out of the freezer...you could kill with it. And if nothing else, you could always stick it to their tongue if they open their mouth to talk...they'd be too busy trying to get it loose to stop you from escaping.

Football? I'm not really much into football, though I watch the Chiefs sometimes, when I remember they're on...ha. I like college football better.