Previous   Next

Do you think traffic-calming devices are effective?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 28, 2006

Browse the archives

“No. I think they’re an inconvenience. Especially the roundabouts, because nobody knows how to use them or whose turn it is.”

“They would be, if people knew how to use them. People misuse them out of ignorance, not because they mean to.”

“I think people here have a problem with them because they’re rare. Another problem is that the roundabouts here aren’t really roundabouts. They’re just an intersection with something in the middle.”

“Yes, because you have to slow down when you come to one. Otherwise people would just fly down the road, and that’s dangerous.”

Comments

geekin_topekan 9 years, 4 months ago

Most of the intersections that have roundies were never intended for anything more complicated than a four-way stop.Thats a big part of their inefficiency. As for the small ones like the one in the middle of 22nd and Indiana,they coulda just pushed a dumpster in the middle of the street.It wouldn't be any uglier and it would actually serve a purpose.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 4 months ago

Paul and geekin_topekan - right on!!

This is going to be a day of reposting past posts.

average 9 years, 4 months ago

Real roundabouts on medium-level roads, I like. Ex: Harvard and Monterey, 19th and Barker, Chi O.

Crazy impediments that you can go either way around with stop signs: gotta go. Ex: south of campus, possibly 8th and Michigan.

Roundabouts on major dragstrips (Clinton Parkway): no. As a pedestrian and cyclist, I'm willing to accept a few thoroughfares of insane/high-speed traffic to keep the rest of the system walkable/bikeable. I don't want anything that discourages drivers from staying on the main roads.

I'm not exactly keen on the concrete tugboats (pedestrian islands) either. The unintended consequence is to disrupt normal traffic flow. On a normal street, there is often enough room for me (as a cyclist) and a car to pass me. Suddenly, a tugboat appears, and cars divert into the same space where bikes are, or just stay on the right side of the road, not giving any room for cyclists.

Other things I do like: the speed tables (arts center, Folks Rd south of 6th), marked on-street parking, pedestrian-controlled crosswalk lights, reasonably close-in trees.

ksmattfish 9 years, 4 months ago

What you are saying is that you'd rather speed through the residential neighborhoods along Barker and roll through the stop sign at 19th than travel along 4 lane Mass St., and deal with the stop lights and the speed trap that's always in the 2000 block with the rest of us. Damn those roundabouts! They wrecked your short cut!

If you are confused by the roundabouts, go back to driving school.

neopolss 9 years, 4 months ago

The rainbow skybridge needs funding! We could solve all of our problems. Did I mention that it is held up entirely by unicorns?

supermel718 9 years, 4 months ago

I just don't understand how a roundabout is safer than a stop sign. When half of the traffic in a roundabout will speed up to get in the circle first, and then continue to zoom around it like a carnival ride, it seems like stopping slowed them down more.

mcoan 9 years, 4 months ago

"This could all be solved if the traffic way was to be completed" --- most naive comment of the day, so far, but they'll be plenty more. How on earth will a freeway on 32nd street affect traffic on Barker? How will it slow down but improve traffic flow in neighborhoods?

I'm too tired of ignorant Kansas rednecks to post much today on this topic, but here's my usual comment: Roundabouts have been proved everywhere else in the world. More are coming. GET USED TO THEM.

There is simply NO DEBATE AMONG PROFESSIONALS, only among ignorant Kansas rednecks: Roundabout save gas, reduce pollution, cut accidents dramatically, and slow traffic. The evidence is in, and its science.

Please, let professional traffic engineers, who read professional papers, attend professional conferences, have professional degrees, etc. do their freakin' jobs. Face it: THEY KNOW MORE THAN YOU DO. I know it's tough for an ignorant Kansas redneck to admit, but it's true.

If you'd take 15 min. to Google "modern roundabout" and study the evidence, you'd get why roundabouts are expanding. In other words, try getting an education before you post on a complex topic!

Oh, wait, it's an ignorant Kansas redneck tradition to ignore science and professional opinions and simply spew crap you heard or read from some other ignorant redneck (on the radio or in church). Why break a great tradition (even if it's embarrassing our state all over the world and will eventually cripple it economically)?

Look, face it: YOU'RE IN THE WRONG TOWN if you can't handle scientific evidence or progressive politics. There are 102 Red Counties for you to live in amongst your redneck kind, where you can spew your emotions and ignore the facts.

Lawrence does things differently...it tries to do things the way the rest of the world does, not the Redneck World. If you can't handle that concept, don't live in a progressive college town...Wichita and Topeka are waiting for your redneck asses to come home.

RonBurgandy 9 years, 4 months ago

I remember this one time I was going through the roundabout on 19th & Barker. I yielded to traffic and pulled in behind a car when I could, however, the person coming from the next "entrance" to the roundabout thought they only had to yield to one person and then they could go. So he tried to pull in the 4 foot space between me and the car in front of me and then got his panties all in a bunch because I didn't let him in.

They are too much of a pain to deal with b/c people don't know how to use them. You want to see some real fun, drive up to Boston and enter their rotaries.

bankboy119 9 years, 4 months ago

lol gotta love Mccoan. Here's a newsflash for you too. The roundabouts in Lawrence are little mini ones. That is why they are ineffective. If you would drive enough to get your head out of your...well you know...you would see in other towns that roundabouts are effective if they are built in the right place and they are the right size.

bankboy119 9 years, 4 months ago

Oh yeah here's another Mccoan. Lawrence isn't full of ignorant Kansas rednecks. It's full of liberals.

Topside 9 years, 4 months ago

mcoan must be an engineer who helped design the roundabouts. Bravo. I also liked the repeated use of ignorant kansas redneck multiple times. Nothing says "I don't know what I'm talking about like insulting most of us. Also, mcoan if there is anyone ignorant here it is clearly you because Topeka (Wichita is an unknown) has probably almost as many roundabouts as Lawrence. Enjoy your engineering degree mcoan I hope it serves you well because it looks like the only friend you've got.

Topside 9 years, 4 months ago

Bankboy is right the ones in Topeka are the right size "huge and unecessary" at little used intersections.

badger 9 years, 4 months ago

If we start out talking about roundabouts, what do we use to threadjack? I missed a memo.

Is it fruitcakes, then *, then balloons, or is it *, then ballons, then fruitcakes?

%&$*@#$%# Journal World throwing me off messing up the threadjack order.

Yeah, so roundabouts, they're like the wave of the future. Just like deep fried fruitcake. Or balloons. They're like so totally the best thing ever, except if you have to drive on them, because then they make you a lefty pinko Communard, and turn you against the glorious vision of the SLT, which is so totally the best thing ever. Except that the SLT goes through the Baker Wetlands, which have migratory birds, and migratory birds are so totally the best thing ever.

When they have balloons. And make shoes.

beatrice 9 years, 4 months ago

mcoan: the effectivness of roundabouts is a matter of science? Really? I don't remember ever studying the roundabout in biology, or in chemistry either -- maybe its a new compound of some sort: RdT4 - Round object to handle Traffic from 4 ways at once. Something like that? And you state that "roundabouts are expanding." Like the universe is expanding? I didn't realize this, either. If they are expanding, how soon before a current roundabout fills an entire intersection? If it expands too much, won't that stop traffic? That doesn't seem like a good idea. But thanks for filling all us rednecks in on your extreme knowledge of this so very complex subject.

southerngirl 9 years, 4 months ago

There are the ones in Boston and then there are the really fun roundabouts in England. Try doing it backwards from the wrong side of a rental car. Now THERES some fun. You should try those some time Ron.

Dobler 9 years, 4 months ago

Ok mcoan...I'm from Britain...land of the roundabout, so I feel I have a pretty good insight into how effective roundabouts can be. I agree with you that roundabouts are an effective device when designed correctly. The ones here in Lawrence are simply ludicrous. They are completly the wrong design for the area they made for. You keep mentioning for us to take a look at scientific fact, well, if you had yourself looked at the so called scientific fact you would see that a roundabout designed for a neighborhood, like those on Harvard, should have be slightly bigger than a dustbin lid and slightly raised in the middle. This design allows traffic to flow instead of coming to an almost complete stop. The ones they have built here is Lawrence are designed for major intersections, not small neighborhoods. I suggest you go back and hit the books as you obviously missed the section "Common Sense Use of the Roubdabout."

Oh, I have lived in Lawrence for 10 years now...am I considered a Kansas Redneck???

badger 9 years, 4 months ago

beatrice -

" If they are expanding, how soon before a current roundabout fills an entire intersection?"

I just inhaled about half a mouthful of coffee.

snerk

craigers 9 years, 4 months ago

First of all how do roundabouts save gas? I would think slowing down then speeding back up would waste more gas than just keeping the same speed and going through the intersection. However, how many people are you supposed to yield to? I came up to the roundabout at 19th and Folks? and yielded to the person that was in the roundabout and then the next and the traffic just kept coming and there wasn't any room to get in so I had to make room. I understand the concept but if only one person yields and the rest think they just get to keep on driving then it doesn't work as well than stopsigns.

Topside 9 years, 4 months ago

Yes Dobler you are a redneck now. You have put your time in and are now one of us. Give me your address so we can get you some overalls and a corn-cobb pipe ASAP.

BunE 9 years, 4 months ago

I love roundabouts, they are easy to use and if you have a good car they can be fun. Anyone who can't figure them out is just being stubborn.

Maybe your kids can help you, like with a VCR. er DVD. er Tivo.

badger 9 years, 4 months ago

Please, Topside.

This is Kansas. You don't give a redneck a corncob pipe, you give him a long piece of grass to chew on. Corncob pipes are really for more southeasterly rednecks.

Don't forget the gimme hat, preferably one from Cat or John Deere, but any machinery or parts manufacturer will work.

Yeah, Dobler, you're what we like to call a Redneck By Association. Do please familiarize yourself with the stereotype and conduct yourself accordingly.

Linda Endicott 9 years, 4 months ago

Perhaps roundabouts would be unnecessary if they would just enforce the speed laws they already have?

Seems ludicrous to spend thousands of dollars on pieces of concrete because people are speeding.

And no, I don't know what the solution is. If the damn speed limit was 120, some idiot would have to go faster, just because they could.

Maybe sensors implanted in the roadway itself, which records a car's speed, and if it's over the limit a nice little camera takes their picture and a cop shows up at their door with a ticket?

Linda Aikins 9 years, 4 months ago

Hey - anyone know the redneck term for fiancee?

badger 9 years, 4 months ago

Sis?

(begins removal countdown on self)

bankboy119 9 years, 4 months ago

haha badger and beatrice. Those were great. My morning has definitely been more entertaining than usual.

mcoan 9 years, 4 months ago

Of course, the subject was "traffic calming devices," not roundabouts, but we showed them, huh! (The difference: Traffic calmers aren't at intersections, and they also include speed bumps.)

"beatrice" wrote: "the effectivness of roundabouts is a matter of science? Really? I don't remember ever studying the roundabout in biology, or in chemistry."

See, that's what I'm talking about ignorant Kansas rednecks! Science isn't limited to biology or chemistry. Here's how a "scientific study" works: you create a theory, then test it empirically. You compare it to the exisiting record, record the new data, try something even newer, record the data, then compare it to the other records, etc., etc. In the end, you find out what works best through experimentation. It has nothing to do with chemistry or biology...science simply means a concept which has been tested through experimentation, measured, and then a conclusion drawn.

This happens whenever unIntelligent Design is discussed here...people who have no concept of what science is post emotional junk.

No, I'm not an engineer. I'm just a guy who's driven a lot of roundabouts in the UK and in America and seen the benefits, then came home and spent an evening researching them on the Web, where I found they are the far superior traffic flow method in the vast majority of cases.

There is a whole science to the "modern roundabout" design. The federal govt. has published a manual on their design, and there is software to assist designers. Whether Lawrence is following the manual, I have no clue. Go look it up and see...it's on the DoT web site.

I'm not saying they are justified at every intersection...far from it. And, yes, they do need to be larger than the one at 19th and Barker (my opinion), which is why they won't work everywhere. And there is definitely the expense issue...you can't be spending $1M for them in a town full of potholes. And there is the driver education issue: if people don't know the rules, they won't work (city sent instructions in all water bills, so that excuse is lame, by the way).

Craigers: Yes, roundabouts save gas compared to stopping and starting at a 4-way stop or traffic light, because the vast majority of traffic keeps flowing. The data's already in, move on.

jonas 9 years, 4 months ago

Marion: Just to clear things up, you're not proven right until Your theories are proven to work, not when opposing ones are proven not to.

McCoan: Wait, why am I even bothering to respond to you? Moving on. . . .

None of the roundabouts in town are very hard to navigate (I manuever a 20 foot bus through a few of the ones generally mentioned as difficult with some regularity) but some of them, such as the one on 19th and Barker, do gum up the works pretty bad when traffic time hits. One of the major problems is the city is using them, for all intents and purposes, in a band-aid on a gun-shot wound sort of way.

What we really need is to construct a roundabout with no exits that will trap the people who don't know how to use them into driving perpetually in a circle for all eternity.

badger 9 years, 4 months ago

mcoan?

I believe beatrice was doing what is known as 'funnin ya', son. It's a redneck form of humor. If you're going to live among these gentle russet-throated giants, you're going to have to learn their ways.

Now, pardon me, I would stay longer to chat, but my family reunion is starting and all the good dates will be gone if I'm late. Don't want to get stuck with one of the ugly cousins. I got a couple what squint real bad and got funny-lookin' teeth.

acg 9 years, 4 months ago

A whole evening researching them on the web? Well shut my mouth. I, personally, stand corrected in thinking you're an idiot. I had no idea we were dealing with such an authority on traffic calming devices. Here I was just going off of life experience and 20 years of driving around the world, but you...you put in a whole evening of research. I bow to your greatness!!

Linda Aikins 9 years, 4 months ago

HAHAHA! SIS! That's what my honey said too.

Great minds!

I think it's Crabman.

bankboy119 9 years, 4 months ago

Okay I never thought I would do this but let me start by defending beatrice. Mccoan, you have no idea what you're talking about so you may as well stop before you dig a whole any deeper. From her comments she lives in AZ, not Kansas, and is nowhere near an ignorant Kansas redneck. Again, from her comments she is more blue than most people that post here. I'd just lay off.

Oh and the whole water bill thing....of course! I should have known to learn to drive from reading my water bill.

Topside 9 years, 4 months ago

Badger-Dem's fightin words. My pappys a been smokin a corn cobb pipe since dickety-two. Anyway, your right we do prefer grass here in Kansas. :)

feeble 9 years, 4 months ago

The roundabout at 19th and Barker has been a part of my after work commute every week day for the past 10 months.

I usually arrive at that insection between 4:30p-6pm, depending on how much work I have for a given day and how late I leave the office.

Really, I think it's fine. I've seen far fewer accidents, i.e. none, at that time than I had when I used (previous job hand me travelling down 19th to Haskell at ~4pm everyday) when the intersection was a 4 way stop.

I think it's rather funny that we have so many posters getting worked up over a simple intersection. Time to change your depends, k?

Linda Aikins 9 years, 4 months ago

Does GET USED TO IT count toward our first GET OVER IT?

ms_canada 9 years, 4 months ago

We have speed bumps in our city and they are very effective in slowing down traffic. These are not on main streets but on streets where it has been shown that kids like to go faster than the limit and in large parking lots at shopping centers. They work and are not dangerous.

rhd99 9 years, 4 months ago

When something comes up, it'll come down. These STUPID Traffic-calming devices are NOT the answer to speeders inside Lawrence proper. Put me on the City Commission & unless someone else objects, I'll tear those suckers (that includes existing ones) out so fast it'll make your head spin. Mike Amyx, one of the commissioners said it best; we need to focus on street repairs before we jump into more funding (which is NOT there) of devices. By the way, doesn't a device mean that it's technologically sound in this new Millenium. Hmm, these roundabouts are from a DINOSAUR AGE. Yeah, we can get used to it, but it doesn't mean we have to ACCEPT it!

badger 9 years, 4 months ago

Topside -

Well, then, yer pappy, he ain't bein true to the Redneck Code. However, Redneck Code's only bin around since dickety-ought-six, so mayhap yer pappy was grandpappied in at the time.

Gootsie - I think it does.

rhd99 9 years, 4 months ago

One more thing, someone mentioned that if the cops were out there enforcing the speed limits, these ROUNDABOUTS would not be necessary. There's a catch 22, that no one in City government has bothered to exterminate; you can't enforce the laws if you don't PAY the police MORE money. The money that was WASTED on roundabouts shoud have gone where, TO THE POLICE!

bankboy119 9 years, 4 months ago

Posted by mcoan (anonymous) on February 28, 2006 at 9:05 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Weterica: You're HILARIOUS! My wife and I got a big kick out of your post. Thank you so much.

It's time we stopped allowing them to have all the fun while we're sitting back being polite and hoping for intelligent discourse. The discourse ain't gonna happen with rednecks.

Anyone else see everything wrong with this post?

rhd99 9 years, 4 months ago

This is WAY off the subject, but how does anyone here feel about Buck O'Neil not getting into the Baseball Hall of Fame? I think Baseball doesn't know JACK if an honorable man like O'Neil cannot get into the hall of fame. I know it's all about subjectivity, but baseball has done an injustice to one of the Kansas City metro's greatest individuals ever to be alive. So, just wanted to float that around. Thanks.

feeble 9 years, 4 months ago

"If you don't like wetlands, move to the desert. At least get the heck out of one of only two Blue counties in Redneck Land and move to one of the 102 Redneck counties...

Anyone else see everything wrong with this post?"

Yeah, while Lawrence sits on an alluvial prarie, the vast majority of Kansas is semi-arid desert / high plains. Not much reason, in my mind, to live in Salina when you can live in Lawrence.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 4 months ago

Yes. Kansas has 105 counties.

And rdh, I will NEVER visit the Baseball Hall of Fame after this move. Buck O'Neil is a class act and is such a great guy. It really infuriated me.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 4 months ago

Yes. I think Kansas has 105 counties.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 4 months ago

Stop signs and speed bumps are a heck of a lot cheaper and more effective.

It is so way not cool that Buck O'Neil did not get into the hall of fame. He is a class act.

RonBurgandy 9 years, 4 months ago

"Redneck" (rÄd'nÄk') - one who does not prefer or has complete dislike of roundabouts.

Buck should have been in, no question.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 9 years, 4 months ago

I get a chuckle when I hear people In Lawrence complain about the roundabouts. It's not rocket science; they're pretty easy to figure out. Heaven help you people if you ever take a trip to the UK!

linux_chick 9 years, 4 months ago

Kam: As someone who has briefly lived in Europe, there is truly a difference between what our city calls a round-about and what you're used to in the UK...

It helps, too, when other drivers on the road knows what they're doing. Why not put a couple questions on the DL renewals about round-abouts? It could help.

beatrice 9 years, 4 months ago

mcoan: since you "spent an evening researching them on the Web," does this mean you now have a roundabout degree from Google University? Were you able to print out your own diploma? Now, to be fair, you did say one thing that I think we can all agree on: "No, I'm not an engineer." In fact, I think we reach the conclusion already. Perhaps you will have another evening in front of the computer soon to persue that degree too!

bankboy coming to my defense today, last night I agreed with bowhunter -- what is this world coming to?!? Maybe I'm just turning conservative in my old age -- or are they just turning liberal???? Peace pipe accepted, bb, and I hope I can return the favor some day.

badger: bragging about your cousins havin their own teeth. My redneck cousins just have what we call summer teeth -- some are there, some ain't.

imagold 9 years, 4 months ago

You got instructions in your water bill??? Ingenious. However, that does not a bit of good for those of us that don't get water from the City of Lawrence and drive to your fair city frequently. Maybe the city needs signs at the edges of town stating: "Welcome to Lawrence. To protect those that can't protect themselves or choose to ignore traffic and pedestrian laws, roundabouts and traffic calming devices are in use. Please call the Water Department for instructions."

Katie180 9 years, 4 months ago

Someone help me out. Why are there traffic calming devices south of campus on the intersections where there are already 4 way stops? Are the stops going to be removed eventually or are they just making sure we see the stop sign?

badger 9 years, 4 months ago

Prospector:

"Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez" or "Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler", apparently depending on whether you're using the 'French' or the 'Cajun' spellings (I think it's kind of arbitrary, myself), according to Google.

Of course, my extensive Google Research now qualifies me as a Mardi Gras and Cajun Culture expert.

You uncultured boors.

avhjmlk 9 years, 4 months ago

Here's my two cents (if I can fit them in around all the good Mardi Gras fare I'm eating right now...):

I, personally, don't have trouble maneuvering the roundabouts/traffic calming devices/etc.

HOWEVER, I agree with all who have pointed out that most of the roundabouts in Lawrence are red-headed step-child versions of the real thing...

Staci Dark Simpson 9 years, 4 months ago

Alright people! It isn't that we can't drive in roundabouts because we don't know how, we don't want to. There is no purpose. 4 way stops have been working good for years. Speed bumps are now big enough to take the bumper off your car if you speed thru them so who needs roundabouts? If you like them so much put one in your driveway or front yard and have hours of roundabout pleasure. Just leave me out of it!!

Happy Mardi Gras everybodeeeeee!! I think Lawrence needs a Mardi Gras celebration. That would be so fun!! Think of the beads flying everywhere and the awesome parade we could have.

Buck O Neil not getting in is a load of crap! That makes me mad too. Poo on the baseball hall of fame!!

beatrice 9 years, 4 months ago

So if the Lawrence brand of roundabouts aren't the real thing, what should they be called (besides a waste of tax dollars, of course). How about circleabouts, or mid-road curbs, or bumpabouts, or roundabout-lite, or finally, aboutbutnotquitearoundabout.

badger: wasn't "Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez" a hit for the '80s new-wave French band Les Cars?

avhjmlk 9 years, 4 months ago

Oh yeah--Buck O'Neil. Total crap, and a damned shame.

I_Bejewel 9 years, 4 months ago

mcoan is my hero!.....now I'm going to spend the rest of the afternoon Google searching Rednecks and get my Engineering degree from the University of Google Crap.

Confrontation 9 years, 4 months ago

"Yes, because you have to slow down when you come to one. Otherwise people would just fly down the road, and that's dangerous."--Allison

Like, totally, oh my Gah! People shouldn't be able to drive down a road without tons of obstacles in their way.

jonas 9 years, 4 months ago

beatrice: We could go foreign, and call them semawarumaru. It's Japanese for "cramped, bad circles."

acg 9 years, 4 months ago

I always thought roundabouts were stupid because, let's face it folks, a lot of our residents are high and a lot of them can't drive, even when not high, so what's the answer to the problem? Let's put a big concrete impediment in their way. That'll help! I mean, they're already trying to traverse the dangerous roads of Lawrence with a killer buzz, talk on their cell phones, chain smoke cigarettes (because they can't do it when they get there anymore), put on their makeup, eat a Big Mac, text message their friends and study for their exams. Why ask them to drive a roundabout as well? It's entirely too much.

Grammaton 9 years, 4 months ago

"If you are confused by the roundabouts, go back to driving school."

To my knowledge, navigating a roundabout is not taught in drivers' ed. This is part of the reason why people don't know how to navigate them properly.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

If people would pay attention to the yield signs we'd have an easier time.

rhd99 9 years, 4 months ago

Thanks everyone who responded to my question about Buck O'Neill. Now, on these stupid roundabouts, seems to me Lawrence, once again, is its own country. In other words, when roundabouts don't exist elsewhere in Kansas, Lawrence does its own thing. Seems to me, Lawrence should bear the burden of including in Drivers' Ed handbooks, a chapter about roundabouts. Otherwise, if it doesn't exist in drivers ed, then these WASTES of taxpayer money need to be torn up NOW, or we recall the commissioners who first signed on to these STUPID devices that don't calm any part of everyday Lawrence traffic.

Linda Endicott 9 years, 4 months ago

"There is a whole science to the "modern roundabout" design. The federal govt. has published a manual on their design, and there is software to assist designers."

The federal government has spent $1200 on toilet seats (per seat) in the past. So exactly what does it mean that they spent money over roundabouts? That they got it right? Sure...

Oh, yeah, rhd99, I think those people at the hall of shame ought to be flogged for not voting in Buck O'Neill. They could have let the guy enjoy the honor while he's still alive.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 4 months ago

MD, how do you know about that part of the state?

jonas 9 years, 4 months ago

Ubermime: There is no semawarumaru. Once you realize this, the truth becomes apparent. That it's not your car driving aimlessly in inefficient circles, but your mind.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 4 months ago

Badger, summa them thar "gimmie" hats cost upwerds of $150,000. Doncha know nuttin? And it's hay we rednecks chew. Grass is what you got in yer lawn and somma dem hippies smoke but hay is whacha cut fer yer critters to eat. We'd never chew on grass...that's ware the dog does his business like. Boy howdie, ya'll need sum educatin!:O)

What we need is some roundabout combines. Just take 'em out!

Seriously, can anyone navigate the "roundabouts" just south and east of KU campus? My "mom mobile" will not fit around so I have to go the wrong way if I'm turning the corner. Rediculous!

Do I have to eat pancakes for supper? I forgot them this morning. I did have my Mardi Gras fare on Sunday, though.

badger 9 years, 4 months ago

Well, now, s_s, you forget that Lawrence is plumb full of that new cross-breed, the Suburban Redneck. I reckon their gimmie hats could come from Lawn Boy or them Weed Whacker folks, too, and they run right short of hay there so they gotta find the closest thing.

They're a whole different critter from the Hayseed Rednecks. The Intelligent Designer of the Unintelligent put 'em together after one too many a'them Frappychinos.

mom_of_three 9 years, 4 months ago

Sue, the "roundabouts" south of KU can not be negoiated by any vehicle that a human can fit into.

I do like the roundabout on 19th and Barker. I used to live in a house on the corner, and heard and seen many accidents.

acg 9 years, 4 months ago

Roundabouts are afraid of Chuck Norris.

mom_of_three 9 years, 4 months ago

I drive a mini van, so, of course, I can't negogiate the ones south of KU. Plus, I was trying to be funny. Small cars can make it through, but if you don't turn just right, you hit the curbs.

Last week, I had to go through the "roundabout" on Illinois, and messed it up bad. I ran over the curb, but good, and had to put it in reverse to make it through. The city policeman who was waiting 2nd in line just waved at me. He, evidently, had seen it before!!

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 9 years, 4 months ago

Katie180 The traffic calming devices just south of campus were put in because people came down off the hill doing 50 mph in a 25 mph zone. People live on that street. There are cars parked on the street. Granted the people going that fast are ignorant, but that doesn't help when it puts your kids in danger. Until arrogant people start to understand that they aren't the only people on the road and do not have the right to drive as fast as they want, then the rest of us have to deal with traffic calming devices.
By the way I am a traffic calming device. I drive the speed limit. If I get some jerk behind me who's in a hurry to get nowhere and tailgates me, I slow down. Sometimes they zoom around me, only to arrive at the red light first. It's just too funny.

wonderhorse 9 years, 4 months ago

dorothyhr

I'm with you. I find that it is worse on the side streets--the 27th street raceway (between Lousiana and Iowa) especially. Just try going the speed limit at 7:30 in the morning or 5:15 in the afternoon! Lot's of kids along there.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 4 months ago

Badger, you slay me...frappychino. Gonna have to use that one!

MomO3, glad I'm not the only one. And by the way, what you drive is a "Mom Mobile." (Just like me.)

Linda Aikins 9 years, 4 months ago

Hannibal, do you have the flu, honey? No talk of ingesting body parts leftover after a vehicle slams into the roundabout?

james bush 9 years, 4 months ago

I think roundabouts are the work of the devil. I get so angry when I encounter one that I curse all traffic engineers and their "smarter than thou" attitude. We will all go to hell because of roundabouts.

armyguy 9 years, 4 months ago

The traffic calming devices are a waste of money, for my fairly average size truck, I have to make a 3 point turn to navigate a left turn. I don't want to get a ticket for going in front of them. I always have people backing up behind me as a result.

As for the Roundabout, have to agree that the ones in Lawrence are not very good. Roundabout are a good thing when put in place and made the right way. I wonder about the one on west clinton pkwy this summer with large boats and campers trying to get around it.. I think it would be funny to spend a saturday morning out there watching...

rhd99 9 years, 4 months ago

The people in City Government here in Lawrence who made the push for roundabouts can take those roundabouts & SHOVE IT!

classclown 9 years, 4 months ago

Don't forget that engineers also gave us clover ramps on the highways as well. So that cars wanting to get onto a highway have to compete with cars wanting to get off the highway for the same 100 feet of space.

jonas 9 years, 4 months ago

ubermime: That throw away joke warum would have been funny if you hadn't just split maru "circle" right down the middle, but the phonetic kana "ma" as well.

. . . oh wait. No, no it wouldn't have.

jonas 9 years, 4 months ago

mom of three: "I am a traffic calming device"

I've got the best picture in my head of a mom driving with a blowgun, armed with tranquilizer darts. heehee

sunflower_sue 9 years, 4 months ago

Jonas, I actually own a blowgun. They sometimes come in handy.

jonas 9 years, 4 months ago

Sue: I'm. . . .sure. . . . .

/hides