Previous   Next

What was your greatest academic achievement?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 26, 2006

Browse the archives

“Probably getting into the Golden Key National Honor Society in college.”

“I guess making the dean’s list last semester at KU.”

“I won the mixed media competition at the Butler County Art Show. My teacher stole my artwork and submitted it without telling me.”

“I got a blue ribbon in a science fair for finding out which color of light made plants grow the fastest. I think it was yellow, but that was all the way back in fifth grade.”

Related story

Comments

jonas 8 years, 1 month ago

Getting all three hours of my macroeconomics and japanese homework done tonight with my stomach virus, fever, and horribly painful muscles from getting sick right after doing a martial arts expo for seven hours straight yesterday, probably rates up there, for this month at least.

willie_wildcat 8 years, 1 month ago

Being only the second one in the family to get a college degree of any type. A Bachelor's of Science from Kansas State University. And way to go trinity and sd123. That would be hard with three kids trying to get a degree and dealing with the loss of a loved one. That takes tenacity to overcome. Congrats! :)

Ceallach 8 years, 1 month ago

Wah hoo trinity and sd123!! Congrats to the both of you. You've got a right to roar!! (as per Helen Reddy :)

Surprisingly enough, mine was akin to sun_sue and omb (except of course susie's BS got her an A :p I wrote, at best, a C paper (may have put off writing it just a bit too long:) and got a B grade. Instructor wrote "C for content, A for snow job = B, but Ceallach, don't let it happen again!" For the remainder of the semester he referred to me as the Snow Queen. Being young and foolish, I considered it a complimentary title denoting an alpha female Although I never pulled that stunt again, he was an excellent teacher, I respected him, but also knew that was a warning shot, and the next time he would show no mercy!

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 1 month ago

you had to be there, even Dick Paterson called about a twelve yr span at LHS.."The years the students were denied an education".

PS. As for LHS..Ks St Scholar, Bd of Regents Scholarship, etc., not bad for a kid who was so burned out from the place I turned down being scouted by a Fortune 500 company.THATS how bad it was there then. Some teachers were great, most had to spend their time trying to get the bad kids to shut up and sit still. All too often I was the only child that was paying attention. I was disgusted at the gross waste of time. Thanks to the few there who helped me along in my career.

citizenx 8 years, 1 month ago

Multidiciplinary, yr lack of academic integrity made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 1 month ago

Elton John's red Yamaha Piano is coming up for auction tomorrow. Red just won't work in my living room, shucks. But if anyone wants to buy it for me, I can redecorate.

mztrendy 8 years, 1 month ago

or Perry Lecompton, thats even better!

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 1 month ago

Sue...Comical. I pulled one of those. A history of the Ks Plains class. I had done biology research during the summers, and through the school years, plenty of reading, and the assignment was late. I sat down at the typewriter and decided to blow write a paper about a couple of S.E. Ks counties, and just sat there and bler her away with all of the scientific info that could pour out of my head, accompanied by my ability to write without hesitation and hold the readers interest in the subject. The paper came back with a A+, that was crossed out, and lowered to A- for being late. It was all BS, I made up all the footnotes, everything. It was just more info than anyone else had bothered to do, and it was based on having been there, and known a lot about it, I just didn't do anything extra for that paper. Sorry Mrs. __, if it helps, I still study KS ! I read the old diaries, etc. :D

badger 8 years, 1 month ago

I was taking two biology classes one semester, a behavioural and an evolutionary biology class. Each class had us do a 'journal review', taking a journal article and discussing how the experiment was set up, and what we thought the data did or didn't answer, and why we felt the conclusion was or wasn't valid. I did an article my Behavioural professor had written for Evolutionary bio, and an article my Evolutionary prof had written for Behavioural bio. I included the optional section on how we would structure a follow-up research project to address the questions raised by the article.

The next week, when I got each paper back (they were due at the same point in the semester), they had the grades on the front, but then at the back of the one I turned in for Behavioural bio, my Evolutionary prof had written, "Great analysis of my work," and at the back of the other paper my Behavioural prof had written, "Excellent analysis. You raise many of the same questions I had, and the project you propose is very similar to one I am starting next summer." I was close to graduating; he told me that if I were considering graduate school, he'd be interested in talking to me about being on his research team.

I hadn't realized it, but they shared a common office area (most of the professors in the bio department had offices that opened off of a lab shared by three or four professors) and were good friends. They got a real kick out of the fact that I had chosen to review them that way, especially since a lot of students also taking both classes simply turned in the same journal review to both classes.

The second-best was when I wrote a paper for my Humanities class comparing Goethe and Faust that my Humanities professor asked if she could keep as a "this is what an A paper should look like," teaching example.

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 1 month ago

Greatest academic achievement?

I can't get over my habit of achieving the "Greatest Academics" LOL.

It's still more important than my awards and honors. Once they started pursuing me in high school, it just got into my brain. Then when I saw the movie, Real Genius, and saw that young woman who had been with all of the top scientists on her list, I was rolling with laughter. It was nice to see I was not the only nerd out there with a passion for other nerds of merit. Now I thru life, I've found the percentages small, frustrating. But it's always fun meeting someone new to explore. And revisiting old friends, catching up, all good fun, there is much in science to share.

Gootsie 8 years, 1 month ago

Coming in 11th in the National Jigsaw Puzzle Championship.

lunacydetector 8 years, 1 month ago

getting a degree with honors from the school of hard knocks.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

Writing a paper for my high school freshman honors history class and getting it back with a very large red "BS" scribbled on the front. At the top of the paper was a very small "A". I guess she appreciated good BS when she heard it!

offtotheright 8 years, 1 month ago

That's not half bad happygolucky, you could have received that 'lernin' from Oskaloosa.

happygolucky 8 years, 1 month ago

I received the goodest lernin' that McLouth High School coulda give me.

derf 8 years, 1 month ago

A grandmother was pushing her little grandchild around the Wal-Mart in a buggy. Each time she put something in the basket she would say, 'And here's something for you, Diploma.' or 'This will make a cute little outfit for you, Diploma.' and so on. Eventually a bewildered shopper who'd heard all this finally asked, 'Why do you keep calling your grandchild Diploma?' The grandmother replied, 'I sent my daughter to Virginia Tech and this is what she came home with!'

one_more_bob 8 years, 1 month ago

I once wrote a paper on the history of American/Mexican radio treaties that was pretty much gobbly-de-guuk. I pulled technical terms out of the treaty & strung them together with various verbs. IIRC, got a 'B' on it.

canyon_wren 8 years, 1 month ago

Probably passing the Western Civ exam at KU, which I took my last semester.

In those days (maybe now, too?) you left postcards with your professors for them to mail your grades, if you were in a hurry to get them. When I got off the train at Monterey,CA (where my folks lived at that time), the first questions I asked my sister were "Did my Western Civ postcard come?" "Did I pass?" Two important questions, since my graduation hinged upon passing it. I only got a C but was very grateful for that!

sd123 8 years, 1 month ago

Maintaining a 4.0 while raising 3 children and dealing with the loss of my husband. That was 8 years ago while attending Washburn U. Now, I'm maintaining a 4.0 while going to a Career College. Due to graduate this May! After that, we (children and me) are moving to North Carolina. I earned a full scholarship to attend the Nursing program at the University of North Carolina at Pembroke. I'll be done with that program in 2 years. Then, I can start earning some real money all while doing what I've always wanted to do..... Be a nurse! yeah!

Marion Lynn 8 years, 1 month ago

Going from a .5 GPA first semester at KU and then going straight to the Dean's List with a 4.0 the next!

Learned about partying too much!

The next best was having a few paragraphs of one of my papers used as a positive teaching example in the freshman English Composition manual that the University used for all the incoming classes.

Of course, immediately thereafter I dropped out and somehow never got back to finish!

Merrill, you are copying and pasting into the wrong thread here.

Go back to the kitchen table and pour yourself another cup of hwatever it is that liberals drink in the morning and sit on your hands for a while!

Thanks.

Marion.

derf 8 years, 1 month ago

PhDs in Philosophy, Religion, Special Life Skills, and Plumbing, Sumo Cum Loudy from SpeedyDoc Techno University of the Pubilc, Internet Division (STUPID). I think, see I "think", that the importance of these achievements is incalculable. I believe, see I " believe", that their value is immeasurable. And, too, they look great on the wall. "I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam."-Popeye

Richard Heckler 8 years, 1 month ago

Asking about the $30 million dollar figure for the library...where did that number come from? Who put forth that number? Seems like each suggested location would have had a slightly different number.

No answer yet. Probaly best to check with the designers.

trinity 8 years, 1 month ago

earning a bachelor's degree from KU-at the time my three kids were 5, 10, and 14 years old!

Richard Heckler 8 years, 1 month ago