Previous   Next

What was your greatest academic achievement?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 26, 2006

Browse the archives

“Probably getting into the Golden Key National Honor Society in college.”

“I guess making the dean’s list last semester at KU.”

“I won the mixed media competition at the Butler County Art Show. My teacher stole my artwork and submitted it without telling me.”

“I got a blue ribbon in a science fair for finding out which color of light made plants grow the fastest. I think it was yellow, but that was all the way back in fifth grade.”

Related story

Comments

Richard Heckler 9 years, 4 months ago

Asking about the $30 million dollar figure for the library...where did that number come from? Who put forth that number? Seems like each suggested location would have had a slightly different number.

trinity 9 years, 4 months ago

earning a bachelor's degree from KU-at the time my three kids were 5, 10, and 14 years old!

Richard Heckler 9 years, 4 months ago

No answer yet. Probaly best to check with the designers.

sd123 9 years, 4 months ago

Maintaining a 4.0 while raising 3 children and dealing with the loss of my husband. That was 8 years ago while attending Washburn U. Now, I'm maintaining a 4.0 while going to a Career College. Due to graduate this May! After that, we (children and me) are moving to North Carolina. I earned a full scholarship to attend the Nursing program at the University of North Carolina at Pembroke. I'll be done with that program in 2 years. Then, I can start earning some real money all while doing what I've always wanted to do..... Be a nurse! yeah!

canyon_wren 9 years, 4 months ago

Probably passing the Western Civ exam at KU, which I took my last semester.

In those days (maybe now, too?) you left postcards with your professors for them to mail your grades, if you were in a hurry to get them. When I got off the train at Monterey,CA (where my folks lived at that time), the first questions I asked my sister were "Did my Western Civ postcard come?" "Did I pass?" Two important questions, since my graduation hinged upon passing it. I only got a C but was very grateful for that!

Jay Bird 9 years, 4 months ago

I received the goodest lernin' that McLouth High School coulda give me.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 4 months ago

Writing a paper for my high school freshman honors history class and getting it back with a very large red "BS" scribbled on the front. At the top of the paper was a very small "A". I guess she appreciated good BS when she heard it!

lunacydetector 9 years, 4 months ago

getting a degree with honors from the school of hard knocks.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 4 months ago

Coming in 11th in the National Jigsaw Puzzle Championship.

badger 9 years, 4 months ago

I was taking two biology classes one semester, a behavioural and an evolutionary biology class. Each class had us do a 'journal review', taking a journal article and discussing how the experiment was set up, and what we thought the data did or didn't answer, and why we felt the conclusion was or wasn't valid. I did an article my Behavioural professor had written for Evolutionary bio, and an article my Evolutionary prof had written for Behavioural bio. I included the optional section on how we would structure a follow-up research project to address the questions raised by the article.

The next week, when I got each paper back (they were due at the same point in the semester), they had the grades on the front, but then at the back of the one I turned in for Behavioural bio, my Evolutionary prof had written, "Great analysis of my work," and at the back of the other paper my Behavioural prof had written, "Excellent analysis. You raise many of the same questions I had, and the project you propose is very similar to one I am starting next summer." I was close to graduating; he told me that if I were considering graduate school, he'd be interested in talking to me about being on his research team.

I hadn't realized it, but they shared a common office area (most of the professors in the bio department had offices that opened off of a lab shared by three or four professors) and were good friends. They got a real kick out of the fact that I had chosen to review them that way, especially since a lot of students also taking both classes simply turned in the same journal review to both classes.

The second-best was when I wrote a paper for my Humanities class comparing Goethe and Faust that my Humanities professor asked if she could keep as a "this is what an A paper should look like," teaching example.

mztrendy 9 years, 4 months ago

or Perry Lecompton, thats even better!

citizenx 9 years, 4 months ago

Multidiciplinary, yr lack of academic integrity made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

Ceallach 9 years, 4 months ago

Wah hoo trinity and sd123!! Congrats to the both of you. You've got a right to roar!! (as per Helen Reddy :)

Surprisingly enough, mine was akin to sun_sue and omb (except of course susie's BS got her an A :p I wrote, at best, a C paper (may have put off writing it just a bit too long:) and got a B grade. Instructor wrote "C for content, A for snow job = B, but Ceallach, don't let it happen again!" For the remainder of the semester he referred to me as the Snow Queen. Being young and foolish, I considered it a complimentary title denoting an alpha female Although I never pulled that stunt again, he was an excellent teacher, I respected him, but also knew that was a warning shot, and the next time he would show no mercy!

willie_wildcat 9 years, 4 months ago

Being only the second one in the family to get a college degree of any type. A Bachelor's of Science from Kansas State University. And way to go trinity and sd123. That would be hard with three kids trying to get a degree and dealing with the loss of a loved one. That takes tenacity to overcome. Congrats! :)

jonas 9 years, 4 months ago

Getting all three hours of my macroeconomics and japanese homework done tonight with my stomach virus, fever, and horribly painful muscles from getting sick right after doing a martial arts expo for seven hours straight yesterday, probably rates up there, for this month at least.