Previous   Next

Do you think Lawrence needs more public parks?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 18, 2006

Browse the archives

“Yeah. I think public open spaces are a hallmark of a city’s quality of life. All of the great cities to live in have excellent park systems.”

“Yes. I think a city can always benefit from having more parks.”

“I don’t think it’s a bad idea. Any nature you can bring into the city is a good thing.”

“There seem to be quite a few parks in Lawrence. As far as I can tell, there are already plenty of places to go.”

Comments

militant 8 years, 2 months ago

Sue, Shhhhhhh....er family dining, probably should keep my carnivorous habits to myself. If anything happens to me, I'll be somewhere licking my wounds and Just in case, "I've enjoyed my time here."

bearded_gnome 8 years, 2 months ago

yes, he said "beaver covered in honey!"

was that kitchen table at "beaver creek?

bearded_gnome 8 years, 2 months ago

No more parks, except way out in new development areas. lawrence has reached a crisis in infrastructure: sewers; streets; sidewalks.
no more generally.

Merrill's plan, above, is a form of taxation as it includes required "taking" of land, which then cannot be developed and sold as per the rest of the plan for that area. thus, making those houses that much more expensive. affordable housing crisis in lawrence...any one?

the whitehouse press this week has been an absolute Opera Buffa. so damned funny to watch their self-absorbed selves! waaaaah! "he didn't report this through us and instead went through a little local paper! waaaah!"

I'll have to remember that pink = power. not the usual reaction I get from my pink and blue tie...

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

militant, did you really say that??? Oh m'gosh!

Napoleon_Dynomite 8 years, 2 months ago

Elk wrestling takes much more skill than beaver wrestling. Tigers can be tough too, but not if you have the skills. Jayhawks definitely have the skills. They spanked the tigers today.

militant 8 years, 2 months ago

omb, I've never have wresteled an elk in a vat of creamed corn. I ate a beaver covered in honey once though. It was at a family dining place...the kitchen table.

beatrice 8 years, 2 months ago

creamed corn is the grossest thing know to mankind.

armyguy 8 years, 2 months ago

Just a afterthought, a gun range would be great in Lawrence, it would keep me from target partice in the park behind my house

armyguy 8 years, 2 months ago

Napoleon, there is a bow range at clinton state park... might help with the elk wrestling......

one_more_bob 8 years, 2 months ago

Have you ever wrestled an elk in a vat of creamed corn?

Napoleon_Dynomite 8 years, 2 months ago

We need a public gun & bow range. You know, a place where guys can go and practice their skills...chicks dig skills.

Sometimes my uncle and I go to Alaska to hunt wolverines and wrestle elk. We've got skills.

armyguy 8 years, 2 months ago

I doubt that Lawrence needs more parks. My house backs up to a grand park with swings, basketball and barbq area. I find that it is almost never used. Most all the homes in my area either back up to, or across the street from a park area or green space. I know that alot of new areas have a lot of green spaces as well. I am greatfull that the city mantains my huge back yard for free. however there are many areas that go unused like in my area (behind Checkers)

Richard Heckler 8 years, 2 months ago

With every new development "region" a 30 acre tract of land should be set aside for a park.

Yes we should plan for public schools the same way. Set aside some land simply because if we are going to fill up green space with costly housing public schools are not far away.

How about space for fire stations?

If we wait until developers begin filling up the space the property value becomes more inflated thus taxpayers get screwed. Plan ahead is the key. Set aside the space cuz it is practical and frugal.

badger 8 years, 2 months ago

There is no Benny Hill music for the Raccoon TV, but they really seem to dig Neko Case and Flogging Molly.

I agree with bea and sun_sue about the tie. Everything they wear in public appearance is geared towards whatever impression they want to give. It's part of the appearance-driven nature of politics.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

Bea, sadly, very sadly, I think you're right about the tie.

beatrice 8 years, 2 months ago

Fix the present parks, and have laws about the hours in which people can be there, so they don't get trashed at night. I use to live across the street from one of Lawrence's parks, and it was incredible how frequently people would do stupid stuff there late at night. Fireworks, drugs, arson, fights, sex, at all hours of the day and night, and I saw it all from my living room window. I did have to call 911 on several occassions, largely because they aren't patroled regularly.

sun_sue: "Cheney (being male) went to his closet and grabbed the first darn tie he found. Plausible?" It would be plausible, if he weren't a politician. Not that I'm picking on the Republicans, here, because both sides do it. I feel 99.44% positive that some spin-doctor picked out the tie, much like the p.r. hacks who dressed the President in a flight suit a couple years ago during the infamous "Mission Accomplished" photo-op," or dressed Al Gore up like an outdoorsman, with open-collared shirt. Pink is softer," they would suggest, "not like the usual red power-tie you wear." Cheney, I'm sure, grumbled something under his breath, cursed a couple times, then replaced the tie he had grabbed from the closet and put the pink tie on. Same with appearing on FoxNews -- hardly a random act of television. Like a movie script, everything is choreographed down to the slightest detail. It is the times in which we live.

Cea: I see that DavidR. apparently agrees with you regarding ... well, you know who.

prospector 8 years, 2 months ago

To think that this is happening on Dubya's watch. He might just get it.

Boog is ahead of his time. I also learned that Stephen J. Gould was a big fan of Dada. Excellent

Badger, Do you play Benny Hill music for Raccoon TV?

I have seen a wild turkey in South Park, but the habitat there will not sustain them ( No, I was not sharing Wild Turkey with the people in the park).

badger 8 years, 2 months ago

I'm horribly biased; I think there is no such notion as 'enough parks'.

Of course, as I write this, the cat is in the upstairs window mewing at the birds in the woods behind my apartment. I live about a hundred yards from a seven-mile wooded hiking trail maintained as green space five minutes from downtown Austin.

I have Raccoon TV, a fine collection of wood pigeon neighbors, and my own personal Cat-Scolding Squirrel, and I think everyone should.

lisabeth2002 8 years, 2 months ago

Notice where the one who said 'no' was from.

Marion Lynn 8 years, 2 months ago

BorderRat wrote:

"Posted by BorderRat (anonymous) on February 18, 2006 at 11:16 a.m. (Suggest removal)

More parks? They already took all the fun stuff out of the parks we have... Can't climb on the Train anymore, No Jet Plane by Bucky's and I bet they sold the Rocket Ship at Broken Arrow for scrap. Oh well."

Marion writes:

If they do sell the old missile at Broken Arrow I will do my level best to buy it!

Thanks.

Marion.

Kline 8 years, 2 months ago

We have enough parks that nobody uses.

bankboy119 8 years, 2 months ago

They did take the rocket ship out, ah I remember the good old days.

BorderRat 8 years, 2 months ago

militant 8 years, 2 months ago

We can never have too much green space. Having watched Lawrence grow sinci I came here to go to school, It's been sad to see the green spaces disappear. It's much harder to go back and add the parks. I do agree that the parks are not utilized to capacity, but who would want that?

Muck Fizzou

nudist 8 years, 2 months ago

I heard that Aerosmith is re-releasing one of their old hits, but re working the title and lyrics. It's called, Cheney's got a gun"

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

OK, I'm deeply disturbed that someone actually got paid to do a "pink tie study" and even more disturbed that people buy into this load of carp. (Last I knew, all the carp were in TX, anyway.) Another scenerio: Cheney (being male) went to his closet and grabbed the first darn tie he found. Plausible?

Parks: I'm with prospector. I think the parks are underutilized now. I say we fill them up with housing developments. Make it pretty...like treehouses...so it still "looks" green and the kiddies can still play underneath. That would slow down the urban scrawl towards the country. :o) Have a good day ya'll!

prospector 8 years, 2 months ago

Parks, no, the ones we have are under utilized. Preserves and green space for native flora and fauna, yes. Let us help the other creatures living around here. I would love to here the whistle of Quail again on a summer afternoon again. These have no maintainance costs and mother nature needs all the help she can get these days.

Secret Service: DUCK!!!

BANG!

Cheney: Oops, I forgot I was Quail hunting.

Does a pink tie win over a sword by Walt?

beatrice 8 years, 2 months ago

So even when trying to be contrite, Cheney comes armed. As I suspected. He wears a pink tie as a weapon, and uses "Scooter" Libby as a shield.

It sure was nice that FoxNews was there to comfort our VP in his time of need. When he began to cry on Bill O'Reilly's shoulder -- true TV magic.

Clean up the present parks first.

towering_pant_load 8 years, 2 months ago

I agree with Ceallach. As much as I love the idea of more parks..........I love the idea of much needed road improvements even more! I am so sick and tired of hitting pothole after pothole 12 months out of the year! And I'd also like to see sidewalk improvements in certain areas of Lawrence, as well!

one_more_bob 8 years, 2 months ago

Just when you think every absurd phrase in the English language has been spoken, along comes "For Cheney, a pink tie was a weapon."

prospector 8 years, 2 months ago

"For Cheney, a pink tie was a weapon."

Bankboy, I bet Mr. Whittington wished the VP was armed with that tie. If he had been wearing a pink suit, would he have been shielded?

What does hunter orange mean in your fashion world?

bankboy119 8 years, 2 months ago

No, Lawrence doesn't need more public parks before it can take care of its existing infrastructure.

On a completely unrelated, yet funny, note...

Cheney's Color Choice

Washington Post fashion critic Robin Givhan says the pink tie worn by the vice president during his FOX News interview was not a sign of his "vulnerability and warmth," but rather, "a mocking nod to the culture's... often absurd - path to forgiveness."

Givhan writes that the tie "registered in the manner of pigtails on a gangsta rapper," saying, "the look is full of macho swagger."

Comparing Cheney's tie to the pink suit worn by then-first-lady Hillary Clinton at a Whitewater press conference in 1994, Givhan notes that, "For Clinton, a pink suit worked like a shield. For Cheney, a pink tie was a weapon."

She concludes that Cheney appropriated the costume of contrition and, "he came out ahead."

• FOX News' Dominique Pastre contributed to this report

Ceallach 8 years, 2 months ago

Adding parks for new areas would be acceptable, adding them to established areas should come after streets are made passable, thereby allowing access to what we already have in place.

The commission just doesn't get it == we need our streets repaired!!! Maybe on one of our Dada days the commission could volunteer a day of road repair work.

On a different note: it's about time to give it a rest with Marion. I don't agree with everything he says, and Marion, you can be more than a little terse with people, but he has the right to post anything David R doesn't delete! If it upsets you so much, skip the posts. Please do not use the board for personal bashing. How is it right to personally bash someone because they have bashed others. (It's kind of like trying to teach a child not to hit others by slapping them.)

b_asinbeer 8 years, 2 months ago

I think a park is a good idea. Something that is designed well, and that could be put to good use is a good one. If they just want to not develop a land, leave it as it is, and call it a "park", then forget it.

Then again, blessed3x has a good point....other city services should not be slighted when doing taking on a project like this.

enochville 8 years, 2 months ago

We have enough parks. I love them and use them.

blessed3x 8 years, 2 months ago

More parks and more art!

Down with decent roads and adequate city services!

unscrewed 8 years, 2 months ago

Lawrence has plenty of parks and recreation facilities. The only place the city needs more is where they are expanding into the county. I have lived in a few other cities and not one even came close to the amount of facilities that Lawrence has. Some cities do not allow public access to school grounds, so this city has every track, playground, open field, tennis court, pool, parking lot............that the school system has to offer. Most Lawrence citizens are within easy walking distance to some park or school. You have it really good in Lawrence.

Marion Lynn 8 years, 2 months ago