Previous   Next

Should the city lower the speed limit to 40 mph on West Sixth Street?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 16, 2006

Browse the archives

“No. It doesn’t need to be any lower because the traffic gets lighter as you go out of town.”

“I think it’s fine the way it is. There are enough stoplights out there to slow the traffic down anyway.”

“Yeah. I think they should lower it for safety reasons.”

“I think it should stay at 45. I understand them wanting to keep it safe, but I think Sixth Street has been rebuilt to accommodate the 45 mph speed limit and still be very safe.”

Related story

Comments

none2 8 years, 2 months ago

This whole thing of spending 10's of thousands of $$$ to improve a street just to turn around and lower the speed limit is an example of how silly government can be. Then to think a little later and they will want to lower it down to 30 or 20 as they develop the area even further. Then we will need a bypass road a few years later because of the congestion and frustration with the slow speed.

Except for the fact that it is a US highway, they should have just graveled the road and saved a ton of $$$.

I cannot figure where these people come from who want everybody to drive even slower. For what? So they can talk on the phone, eat in the car, look at maps? If you want safer roads, lower transportation bills, etc., then find the root cause for why so many people have to drive so much. Typically it is because of work which unfortunately isn't a good market in Lawrence, plus many employers cannot comprehend productive telecommuting even though many types of jobs really do not require your physical presence. If Lawrence had good paying jobs and more "mental" jobs had the option of telecommuting, then the roads would have much less traffic. Until that time, lets keep the Sunday driving tips for Sunday.

lunacydetector 8 years, 2 months ago

the issue is control over the populus. the city almost narrowed kasold in its future rebuild plans so people would drive slower. they actually considered it.

i imagine when kasold is redone it will get its speed limit lowered as well.

roundabouts, speed humps, speed bumps, traffic circles, lowering the speed limit....heck the only place they raised the speed limit out of town is north 2nd street. remember when it took forever to get out of north lawrence? the city didn't like it but kdot thought it would lessen rear end collissions. i guess some new people (probably educated at KU) got jobs at kdot, and they are following our control freak city government (that, or they became the scape goat for the city).

jonas 8 years, 2 months ago

They pulled my AT-AT? Fie again!

Azure_Attitude 8 years, 2 months ago

22.699 Must stop . . . seeing blue squares when not looking at PC . . . . I wan't some big, honkin', nasty New England style rotaries (they are NOT roundabouts!!!) every 4 blocks on 6th street.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

Piano, no. And tell them "the sunflower bunch" says "Howdy!"

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 2 months ago

Thanks Sue. I get to go to conferences there, and meet up with some old friends,we'll have to check it out. Should I say "Hi" for you, or are you and the girls allowed to go back? LOL.

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 2 months ago

This was sent to me regarding the sink hole downtown.

Subject: Old Men

The old farmer had a large pond in the back, fixed up nicely; picnic tables, barbecue pit, horseshoe courts, along with some apple and peach trees. The pond was properly shaped and fixed up for swimming when it was built. One evening, the old guy decided to go down to the pond and look it over. He hadn't been there for a while. He grabbed a five gallon bucket to bring back some fruit. As he neared the pond, he heard voices shouting and laughing with glee. As he came closer, he saw it was a bunch of young women skinny dipping in his pond. As he approached, he made the women aware of his presence. At once, they all went to the deep end. One of the women shouted to him, "We're not coming out until you leave." The old man frowned, "I did not come down here to watch you young ladies swim naked, or to make you get out of the pond naked." Holding up the bucket, he said, "I'm here to feed the alligator."

Moral: Old men can still think fast.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

multiD (2:00), Best B&B... Me and my girlfriends were in Denver and stayed at the Capitol Hill Mansion (not haunted, DARN!). But the owners opened up 8 bottles of wine for us one evening. Neighbors came over w/ bread, cheese, and chocolate and we had a "porch party." Tons of fun and the wine was "on the house" 'cause the owners were having fun, too. (Well, at least one of them was having fun. His partner "Jay" was inside pouting because us ladies were getting a little too much attention. I'm sure they kissed and made up later.) And Oh M'gosh, can they cook a breakfast to die for! (Except at first I was brought a box of Bran Flakes...all because I said his cooking beat the heck out of Holiday Inn Express's cinnamon rolls.) In my defense, I had been drinking when those words just popped out of mouth. :O)

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

There are a lot of italian princesses around here...nothing bad, just noticing.

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 2 months ago

Okay folks, I'm out of the office and off to pick up the laundry. Keep it up, maybe I'll get to see what you've been up to later. It's been fun.

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 2 months ago

I'm not an MD LOL. But the doc's I work with are as wacky as can be. They loved the link from jonas, and couldn't believe it was pulled. And I've had a few comments about Ron's red square too. Scientists and medicine, it's all the same bunch of lab crazed minds.The only way to go.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 2 months ago

"I do medicine..." MD

That's what I want to hear out of my doctor.

Ok, I completely took it out of context. Sorry MD. Just struck me funny when I scanned it too fast.

ItalianMafiaPrincess 8 years, 2 months ago

Just drive safe out there everyone when the roads are slick.

ImperatorTerrae 8 years, 2 months ago

You're right.

Mythbusters was testing if the 'Jaws" scene would be possible in real life.

I think they labeled it as 'Busted."

But, to keep in character of the show, they have to blow something up.

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 2 months ago

How true. I do medicine so I responded to the O2, and wasn't thinking diving tanks LOL. Good catch. I was talking to someone last night who was talking about his trials in life, who doesn't know me. I thought about saying, "Should we pour some shots, uncover our scars,swap stories, then sing drinking songs until the shark eats the light?".

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

I never said they would, but thanks prospector.

prospector 8 years, 2 months ago

Ronburgandy-ImperatorTerrae

Scuba tanks contain compressed air , not oxygen and will not blow up.

gccs14r 8 years, 2 months ago

6th west of Wakarusa should be 65 mph. K-10 should have a minimum speed of 65.

ImperatorTerrae 8 years, 2 months ago

The oxygen tank didn't blow up when they shot it.
The bullet did go through the tank's skin, but the tank just kind of flew around the building. Looked pretty cool.

They ended up attaching some C-4 to the tank. Which conclusively proved that Oxygen tanks covered with C-4 do explode when detonated.

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 2 months ago

Or whether Ron can really get that high a score?

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 2 months ago

They debunked shooting a car and it exploding. I would think you could pierce an oxygen tank.

Suppose they would do a show about the sensibility of lowering the speed limit on 6th?

one_more_bob 8 years, 2 months ago

IIRC, Tommy Chong once said that guys go to movies for three reasons: to laugh, to get scared, & another reason I can't say here.

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 2 months ago

They did a show the other day, where people had written in thinking they could do that the boys hadn't, so they brought in contestants (with their own $ LOL) to compete, it was fun. There's more than explosions, there's usually some form of destruction, as that's what people's fears create "myths" about. Myths about harm of some sort. And remember the three rules of movie making. Get naked, defy authority, destroy something!

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

Whoops, probably should finish my thought with some type of concluding statement...that looked cool.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

I didn't see the one about the 5-second rule, so I am going to pretend that it still works.

I didn't catch the end of one that was on the other day about shooting an oxygen tank in a shark's mouth and if it would blow up like it jaws.

badger 8 years, 2 months ago

I cried when the Mythbusters debunked my precious 5-second rule.

But then they blew some stuff up, so it was all OK.

I think mostly that show is about giving some people a chance to blow some stuff up. I've seen three episodes, and every single one had an explosion of some sort.

Mythbusters are a riot.

Lots of data on most contaminated places in bathrooms. The stall door handle is one of the most, as is the flush handle. Floor of course, due to atomization during the flushing process. Never sit on a flushing toilet. (I know, too much info, but someone has to teach you!)

one_more_bob 8 years, 2 months ago

Gosh, thanks TOB, pardon me whilst I yak into my trash can.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 2 months ago

I saw a Mythbusters episode where they were trying to determine fecal content on tootbrushes... the myth being you want to keep your toothbrush head protected as to not get any poo particles on it. Anyhow, their methodology invovled several dozen toothbrushes placed all around the bathroom and the one guy brushed his teeth with all of them everyday. Oh, and they, um, voided in said bathroom. I determined that these guys were at least as disturbed as they looked so I changed the channel.

acg 8 years, 2 months ago

OMB, LOL. America works best when you say Union yes!! :)

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 2 months ago

And I guess since the bobs are in different towns, that leaves out gootsie's idea for Bob-b-que

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 2 months ago

Next question idea...what's the best B & B breakfast/ situation? Since we're already discussing toast LOL.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

I think they had a mythbusters episode about this whole toast falling thing...

But I always butter the top side. It's just too hard to spread when you are trying to butter the bottom.

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 2 months ago

As for toast, you know it rotates one and 1/2 times before it hits the floor from the countertop. I think they figured out the countertop would have to be 7 ft high to fix that problem...to get it to land right side up.It's been a while.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

U. A. W. - United Association of Whoredom.

And you thought it was for auto workers...

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 2 months ago

Nightschool's been paying off, eh?

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 2 months ago

Sidewalks..hate to remind everyone..think about Wakarusa..where they've added a what,an extra 4 inches to come up to code or something. Think wheelchairs. Think people passing each other. Fortunately, wider is better. Think Dad and his stroller after dinner, with his 5 yr old on the bike. Think elderly with canes and walkers. I believe 4 ft is what they are going for. 4 ft isn't very wide.

What I love are the houses SW of town where the master bedroom doors are so narrow, a woman can't carry a standard laundry basket through without turning it skinny side, so it's heavy way out in front of her. What that contractor was thinking, I have NO IDEA. I walked right out of those! A grown man would hit both shoulders on those doorways.

badger 8 years, 2 months ago

I'm not a whore.

Everyone's dates give them 150 bucks in cabfare the next morning, right?

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

Das, Anyone knows that you butter the prettiest side. The side that got perfectly brown. I don't like those little stripes on my toast. Reminds me too much of driving lanes and speed limits. That's too much stress early in the morning. Besides, I prefer a nice orange marmilade to butter on toast. Butter is for crusty sourdough.

Message board wh@re? (Just leave the money next to my keyboard, honey!) I feel no shame.

33.969.

acg - I think it depends on what "area" you specialize in...

acg 8 years, 2 months ago

Must walk away from evil puzzle....

Right on, I'm so glad the sex workers are Unionizing. Union labor is the best, you know. :) I wonder what Union scale is, on average, for a whore?

linux_chick 8 years, 2 months ago

rofl, badger... especially the last statement.

I didn't mean to offend anyone. Please don't sick the Sex Workers Outreach Project on me for not being very PC.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 2 months ago

ACG - Isn't that like the longest 19 seconds ever? I swore I had been going for a minute and then looked at the time and it said something like 16 seconds and I was distraught.

beatrice 8 years, 2 months ago

l_c: message board whore? I resemble that remark!

mztrendy 8 years, 2 months ago

i think tomorrow the question of the day should be why does a 20 oz pop at Hy-vee cost 1.19?

acg 8 years, 2 months ago

WooHoo, I'm up to 19.543 seconds. Ron, I hope you realize this means I'll get nothing done today.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

Hey, I consider myself a "moderate" when it comes to sidewalk widening. Can't we just settle on 26", or is there a threat of WMDs associated here?

badger 8 years, 2 months ago

I am a message board paid escort, myself.

Now, I think that the precedent for the 24" sidewalks is clear, and has tangential roots in the First, Fourth, Eighth, and Sixty-Second Amendments. The most important of these, the Sixty-Second, is of course the most obvious to you all, I'm sure.

Proper sidewalk size and distribution is a weighty legal matter, and it's critical to understand the finer nuances of both sides. However, the SCOTUS has repeatedly upheld the 24" standard for sidewalk arrangement due to its necessity in the War on Terror.

I can't believe how much the terrorist-loving nancy-pants sidewalk wideners hate freedom.

The Nazis had 28" sidewalks.

blessed3x 8 years, 2 months ago

beatrice, I like your idea and to epand on it I think they should post speed limit signs that read 43 mph even though the legal speed limit would only be 42.5. That way they could ticket people for .5 mph over the speed limit. If it goes to court, well...it's just a rounding issue and the ticket would only be a buck or two (with $65 of court costs).

craigers 8 years, 2 months ago

17.888 seconds. That is addicting and nerve racking. Thanks Ron, I will have to pass that along to my coworkers.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

I resent that statement linux_chick, I prefer message board courtesan personally.

linux_chick 8 years, 2 months ago

I think Das_U is right. The question of the day doesn't matter: we're all message board whores. :)

mztrendy 8 years, 2 months ago

And If I get to the redlight first, it means I get to set the pace. I don't have to wait for the person in front of me to get on it.

from_kansasland 8 years, 2 months ago

...........Again, I could have drawn up that 70,000 dollar KU logo on a single piece of toilet paper while sitting on my "throne"!

And then I could have stuffed it into an envelope and mailed it to KU and said, "Here, KU, here's my new logo for you! It's yours, free of charge!"

beatrice 8 years, 2 months ago

I say compromise make it 42.5 mph. That way, it probably would take no more than an extra 1.37 minutes to travel 6th from Mass to Wak, which isn't that much if you travel it 1 or 5 times a week, and slower by 2 minutes that 23rd. Be sure to drive safely, of course, keeping your hands at 10 and 2, avoiding the 28" curbs and the speeding 12th graders who are light-headed from not having enough time to eat their $2.25 lunch in just 30 minutes. At the reduction in speed of 2.5 mph, you can use the slower pace to contemplate the importance of the 9/10ths of 1 cent tax on every gallon of gas you purchase. You will arrive at your home, the 1 that you just took out a 2nd on the original 30 year loan to add a 3rd bedroom. You will jog on the treadmill for 27 minutes, covering 2.2 miles, as you do at least 3 times a week. After a shower in 4 minutes, you will then sit down at 6:33 to eat your well-balance dinner that covers all 4 food groups with your 1st spouse and your 2.3 children. After dining, the family will then settle in to watch 24 on your 36 inch tv, followed by going to bed at 10:10 to get a full 8 hours.

Or they could just leave it at 45.

mztrendy 8 years, 2 months ago

I DID NOT want to keep Walmart out. Go WALMART~

from_kansasland 8 years, 2 months ago

Hey, mocker..................the point still stands..........

70 grand was a ridiculous amount of money to spend on such a lame, unimaginative logo!

prospector 8 years, 2 months ago

"and 10 times as many lurkers" I resemble that statement!

blessed3x 8 years, 2 months ago

The speed limit should be lowered to 35 the entire length of 6th Street.

Weren't all you same people complaining that added traffic from a proposed Wal-Mart near that location was a hazard to the high school students? Then why wouldn't you want the speed limit as low as possible through there to achieve the same ends. Unless of course the student's safety was a load of BS and you really just wanted to fabricate a reason to keep Wal-Mart out.

hmmmmmmmm

webmocker 8 years, 2 months ago

Kansasland: How many times does it have to be pointed out that the KU logo, lame as it is, was paid for by private donations?

from_kansasland 8 years, 2 months ago

mztrendy............

I don't know where your child's daycare is in Topeka....and I don't know where you work in Lawrence........

But it seems to me that whether you take I-70 or highway 40 to Lawrence................30 minutes is seriously pushing it (as far as you getting to work on time).

I can only assume that your child's daycare facility must be on the east-edge of Topeka, and your place of employment must be on the west side of Lawrence.

Regardless, I'm not surprised to hear you say that you do indeed speed daily while commuting to work. It seems to me that only by speeding could you could possibly get to work on time----and just barely on time (with seconds to spare)!

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 2 months ago

"a question like "which side of the toast should you butter" would still get over 100 responses..."

and 10 times as many lurkers.

prospector 8 years, 2 months ago

The side that did not hit the floor.

from_kansasland 8 years, 2 months ago

A "sidewalk study" costing taxpayers thousands of dollars....................your post made me laugh, Bob!

Here's hoping that those "sidewalk studies" don't amount to 70,000 dollars or more!...................Which is what KU spent to come up with a new "KU logo". A logo that looks pretty lame, if you ask me. A logo that I could have created myself for 5 bucks (if that!).....and as a result, I could have saved Kansas taxpayers 69, 995 dollars!

Das_Ubermime 8 years, 2 months ago

Okay, so I thought that there couldn't be a more inane question than "should the speed limit be 40 or 45", then I read linux chick's post about the sidewalks. You know, something tells me that a question like "which side of the toast should you butter" would still get over 100 responses...

one_more_bob 8 years, 2 months ago

Why are we still doing sidewalks using inch measurements? Shouldn't we be using the metric system?

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 2 months ago

Sidewalks... gosh darn, as you all know a study will need to be conducted. hell, probably several studies at a cost of several thousand dollars.

linux_chick 8 years, 2 months ago

Thanks for poking holes in my assertion that there exists topics people don't want to talk about, RB. Boo.

mztrendy 8 years, 2 months ago

28", definiately 28". Wait, should I save this for tomorrow?

Manson 8 years, 2 months ago

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

linux_chick - Do we have to repair said sidewalks personally or is that a city job. If the city covers it then 28" b/c there is more room to avoid people. If I have to repair it, then 24" b/c I will use less concrete. How's that?

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 2 months ago

dorothy - It shouldn't be K-10's (and thus people who use it everyday) problem that houses are going up there. A proper development should have had access roads and exits. I've oft wondered what the logic is there but I'm only playing arm-chair civil engineer.

As far as the Industrial Park intersection... totally agree, something needs to be done. And something more than lowering the speed limit. People will still drive 70 going through there. Quite a few less, but it will still be a death trap intersection because of the random drivers that will still speed though it.

bankboy119 8 years, 2 months ago

My reason for driving faster is because it takes less time. I'm not a big car person. Driving doesn't count as "doing" something. Once I'm at my destination, then I can relax.

ItalianMafiaPrincess 8 years, 2 months ago

I agree here also..............Even if you get to the red light first, second, or third you are going to have to stop. I guess trying to run the yellow saves you time maybe, but you are also putting others in danger.

Slow down people, where ever you have to be its going to still be there when you get there.

mztrendy 8 years, 2 months ago

ok here's just a good example of why I hurry (speed). I live out by Topeka, yet I work in Lawrence. I have a 3 year old who goes to Daycare, but she can't be there until 630 at the earliest, and I have to be at work by 7. Doesn't leave much time. BUt I'm also very cautious and have never recieved a speeding ticket, but usually speed everyday. ANd when I say speed, I mean 5-10 over the speed limit.

linux_chick 8 years, 2 months ago

Wow. LJW is truly scraping the bottom of the barrel. A cannot think of another topic I would be more indifferent to than city thoughts on a 5 mph speed reduction on 6th St. from Wakarusa to K-10.

How about this one for tomorrow: How wide should our sidewalks be: 24" or 28"?

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 8 years, 2 months ago

If they can make that 40, why don't they lower the speed limit on 10 hiway to at least 55, until you get past the industrial park? There's a lot of housing going in South of there, and the people trying to turn into 65-70 mph traffic is increasing. There has already been bad accidents at the Industrial Park intersection. It shouldn't be 65 until the road gets past intersections. Why doesn't KDOT turn those intersections into exchanges, or lower the speed limit? I also agree with ItalianMafiaPrincess. Everytime someone blows pass me, I wonder where they are going so fast. If you are rushing to the emergency room, I could cut you some slack, but most people are just going to work, or to recreation. What's the hurry. Better to get there alive and in one piece. Chill out!!!! By the way, I work a full-time job, a part-time job, taking classes for my masters, and have a family to take care of, so I'm a busy person, but I don't need to put myself and others in danger so I can get to the red light first.

trinity 8 years, 2 months ago

11.656 thanks to s_s's advice!

i can't avoid the blocks after so long...

mztrendy 8 years, 2 months ago

I really don't think it was a reference to the racetrack actually... Just my opinion though. The person stated that "people" drive like maniacs there.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 2 months ago

I'm an idiot. Indy 500. Yes. Ok.

I got 23 secs a couple times. The blocks move the same way each time.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

Gootsie - I see now why Indianapolis, not a big racing fan so that really didn't pop into my head.

Sun Sue - sadly, no. I couldn't even bring in witnesses b/c they might think I wasn't working...

extra_mustard 8 years, 2 months ago

Replace posted speed limit signs with signs which read, "Dada."

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

Gootsie, Go to the upper left corner about an inch from the top and hang out. The puzzle follows the exact same pattern every time and that should at least get you to 11 seconds...just don't touch the side!

Ron, do you have documentation on that 29+ seconds?;)

Gootsie 8 years, 2 months ago

I bet it was because of the racetrack, TOB. The Indy 500?

My choice would have been Boston or Denver. Or Johnson County.

mztrendy 8 years, 2 months ago

I liked how the other day they tried to make it seem like the cops were being "nice" by not doubling your ticket in a work zone, when in all reality they probably know if they did then the Douglas County Courthouse would be super busy with all of the people there fighting their "work zone" tickets when there is no work going on there.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 2 months ago

I know it's been said already, but... Indianapolis?

trinity 8 years, 2 months ago

i like the closing it off for a mall idea...i like trolleys!

i want trolleys!

badger 8 years, 2 months ago

I'm not sure 45 in a 40 qualifies you as a 'maniac', there, rhd99.

I guess my issue with it is that I think speed limits should make sense and be suited to road conditions and location. On a straight, four-lane stretch of road heading out of town, there's really no need to have the speed set at 40. That road is perfectly safe to travel at 45 or 50. A lot of people will recognize that and choose to exceed the speed limit and risk the ticket - and likely not get it.

Cops can't catch every speeder; in fact they don't catch most of them. If speed limits are arbitrary (which they seem to be in this case) and not geared towards the actual road and its conditions, then it's more likely that you'll have people traveling at a wide variety of speeds ranging from 5 or 10 below the speed limit where some people feel comfortable to 10 or 15 over where others feel comfortable. That's a potential 25 mph speed difference, which is more likely to cause an accident than 2 cars going 10 over would be.

It's not quite so much about the tickets for me as it is about setting the road up so that you are traveling at a rate of speed that is safe and realistic. For example, if the max national speed limit was 25, and enforced as 25, then fatality accidents would decrease significantly. Why not set the speed limit on K-10 at 25, in that case? Because it doesn't really make any sense to insist that people drive that speed on that road, that's why.

I'm not so much saying that the speed limit on that stretch must be raised as I am saying I think it'd be better received if they explained it with something more substantial than, "It seems like a good idea to us," and if the speed limit was really more consistent with other, similar roads.

Gootsie 8 years, 2 months ago

The first GET OVER IT at 10:05. A little better.

Ron, 0.375. hmmmm

bankboy119 8 years, 2 months ago

18.786. If they are really worried about "future" traffic why don't they go ahead and drop the high way down to about 60 as well? I'm sure that will be developed in the future. The speed should be 30 because of the congestion that is going to happen. East Hills needs to be dropped to about 45, give it about 7-10 years and there will be a traffic problem. You know, I think 23rd should be dropped to 30 because in 10 years there will be a lot more traffic and no SLT completed. Could go on and on but I'm bored.

mztrendy 8 years, 2 months ago

But what if I want to live in Lawrence and drive like a maniac? I don't really want to go to Indianapolis....

jrlii 8 years, 2 months ago

They need to take down the speed limit signs and conduct a speed survey.

I bet that would put the speed limit at 55+.

When congestion sets in THEN they can lower the speed limit.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

Indianapolis? I would have said Boston or New York to emphasize bad driving, I don't know much about Indianpolis though...

rhd99 8 years, 2 months ago

Look, if people want to drive like MANIACS, go to Indianapolis, take your reckless behavior & go there. If people CAN'T go the speed limit, you'll get caught. I know one thing, I drive people absolutely crazy when I go the SPEED LIMIT. GET OVER IT!

acg 8 years, 2 months ago

14.85 seconds. Not bad. This may drive me insane today.

happygolucky 8 years, 2 months ago

More roundabouts! Put them at every block, get rid of the lights and signs. That should slow down traffic, or at least be fun to watch. And they're pretty to look at.

rhd99 8 years, 2 months ago

You want speed limit improvements in Lawrence? FIX the DAMN K-10 problem. There have been continual reports of accidents at that intersection going into the business park. Priorities are SCREWY & need to be re-focused.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 2 months ago

Er, maybe people were driving slower this morning because of the weather?

Any speed limit is only intended for optimum road conditions...drivers are supposed to use their own judgment if the pavement is wet, icy, etc.

mztrendy 8 years, 2 months ago

I don't understand why this is 40, but yet if you go west on Clinton Pkwy street out by the ballfield its 45. Whats the difference? And down Wakarusa? 45. Clinton Pkwy from Kasold going west? Really, are there a ton of accidents west of 6th that they think they need to slow down traffic? Am I correct in saying that that strip of 6th in front of dillons is also 45 so once you pass that you have to slow down to get out of town? that doesn't make sense....

ItalianMafiaPrincess 8 years, 2 months ago

Hey now.............

I drive the speed limit and people can go around my @$$. I have never been given a speeding ticket and really don't plan on getting one. I guess you could say thats why my car insurance is so low also.

Change it to 40, its just 5 above anyway. Some people will drive 40 and some will drive 45 or more. I guess thats up to the driver and their choice. If they want to take that chance and get a ticket for speeding its certainly not my problem.

I just laugh though when they speed by me and I see them pulled over just ahead of me.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

Ron, 15.093...and I'm really stopping now!

offtotheright 8 years, 2 months ago

Craigers...it really depends on if some idiot is talking on a cell phone while driving. I noticed this morning in particular, that it was very difficult to get from West Lawrence to K-10. You know why? PEOPLE ARE STUPID! They were all driving 10 miles UNDER the speed limit, in the wrong lane, talking on a cell phone! These people can't talk and drive at the same time. I am beginning to believe that more accidents happen because people drive TOO SLOW!

Raise the speed limit to 55! All the cell phone talking idiots can drive 40 or 45!

ItalianMafiaPrincess 8 years, 2 months ago

TOB,

You crack me up............LOL

I feel the same way about the 40 = whatever thing. Who cares if they change it anyway. People are still going to speed if they want.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

Ron, 11.656 seconds

No way should the speed limit be lowered. I drive that stretch at least 3 times a week. The traffic gets much lighter out there thanks to that "it took bloody forever and cost bloody millions" expansion.

And Gootsie (6:08), you took my answer! ;oP

Ron !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks, now my migraine is worse. :P

enochville 8 years, 2 months ago

I am never over there, so it does not affect me. For me, the most difficult place to keep the speed limit in town, although I do keep the speed limit (it just seems insanely slow) is that stretch of Mass from 23rd to 19th. Another place the cops love to sit is on Tennessee around 18th street.

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 2 months ago

You know. I really think with all of the new construction and the "new downtown" that they will be building, perhap we should consider closing it to traffic altogether, and just allow foot traffic, like Denver did 16th street. It makes a great mall, business didn't suffer, and they put in a trolley. :D

craigers 8 years, 2 months ago

does it really matter? we all add 5 mph to the speed limit and that is what we drive anyway, right? go 45 in a 40, 35 in a 30.

acg 8 years, 2 months ago

jonas, you freakin' kill me.

Umm...no.

I used to live at 6th & Wakarusa and have since moved away from that area so I am never there to worry about it anyways.

But I will stand up for those of you that have to drive it. Just say no...not that it really matters on this board.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 2 months ago

There will be a lot of housing construction in that west 6th area for a while so the slower speed is warranted. All of those new residents will soon turn the area to congestion and a 30mph zone. Additional shopping is also scheduled for the area. Congestion is the order of the day. Developers love it.

This same approach needs to be applied going east on 23rd till east of East Hills Business Park. Begin the slower speed limit east of East Hills heading west into Lawrence. Too many accidents at this area. Have the big trucks of asphalt find another way to enter K10.

neopolss 8 years, 2 months ago

I think that way too, but really - there are some areas that are simply TOO slow. Even Iowa is 40 - 45 on stretches of it, and that is IN TOWN. There's nothing out there where tickets are being given! What a waste of construction.

ItalianMafiaPrincess 8 years, 2 months ago

40/45 really makes no difference to me either way. I drive the speed limit and I'm in no hurry to get anywhere anyway to fast.

Lifes to short to rush all the time. Leave early ( or in my case most of the time= I'm always running late ) and enjoy life. Don't rush around all the time........enjoy life while you can.

inmate 8 years, 2 months ago

I can't help thinking, "What would they do in Iraq?"

jonas 8 years, 2 months ago

LHS76 8 years, 2 months ago

Jeez... The people of Lawrence must not be very smart if the city feels they must have must have speed limits like this, to protect the unwashed masses from themselves! You would be run over in most large metro areas at that speed, and then receive the single finger salute!

one_more_bob 8 years, 2 months ago

They should nail rows of fruitcakes in the lanes to act as speed bumps.

blue73harley 8 years, 2 months ago

At least 45. And make it 55 a mile or two west of Wakarusa St.

KsjKC 8 years, 2 months ago

Umm--wait--the road is re-built, renovated, rehabilitated at no small expense to taxpayers money, time, and ever-dwindling stock of patience and now some ya-ya wants people to drive more slowly?

Hmm--Yes--I understand now. If you build it, they will come. Eventually. Just another minute or so. Almost there. Hold on.

Sheez

Gootsie 8 years, 2 months ago

If you lower it, how will those kids get back from lunch on time?

I drove that stretch last night and I have to say, it was incredibly difficult to stay at 40 - I had to set my cruise control. My old brain is programmed that if I am not in the city, I can go 65. Gosh it was hard. Thanks to this board, I was very diligent about going 40 (the signs are few) and guess what was waiting for me at the bottom of the hill?

Yes, a McDonalds.

goatdog 8 years, 2 months ago

Hey Christian pig! You're losing in Iraq!