Previous   Next

Do you think the nightlife in Lawrence is getting more dangerous?

Asked at Jefferson's Restaurant, 743 Mass. on February 6, 2006

Browse the archives

“Yes. There has been a lot of violent crime lately. It’s getting a little crazy.”

“I’ve never had a bad experience going out in Lawrence, but I try not to go to places that have had problems.”

“I think it is. I wouldn’t go to either of the places where they’ve had trouble. I think everyone should try to pick safer places to go.”

“No. I think Lawrence is a really safe place to live. I think there’s great security on campus, and I’m never hesitant to go out downtown.”

Related story

Comments

sweetpeagj 9 years, 3 months ago

I don't think it is any more dangeroous than any other town. When you have an active nightlife and places become more popular I think that tighter security or extra monitoring is required. Let's not turn this into a Lawrence bashing forum today. The poularity of some of the clubs and the type of music that is popular then you attract more out of towners to enjoy Lawrence. The problem is is that we can't control if someone drinks that they are going to be happy or pee ode that their hair didn't come out right. I am not trying to trivialize any shootings so please don't get offfended but show you that nobody can predict what can trigger acts of violence. Angry, alcohol, gun, and a car?? Not a good combo for any town.

neopolss 9 years, 3 months ago

Whatever happened to good old fashioned knife fights? Or fighting the person with fists like a man?

rooga 9 years, 3 months ago

heeellllllllllllloooooooooooooo Vanessa

supermel718 9 years, 3 months ago

You can get rid of all the bars and nightclubs in town, and there will still be idiots shooting somebody for something. I am more afraid of some slimebag slipping something into my drink than getting shot while having a night on the town.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 3 months ago

trinity 9 years, 3 months ago

every bar and club and music venue ought to have PleatherBob nights-often. that would cut down on the nastiness!

rooga! hmmm, wonder who that masked man could be...

on the serious nature of this issue-heart goes out to the victims in this senseless idiocy. whoever said guns+booze don't mix said it best.

RonBurgandy 9 years, 3 months ago

So macon, no one should ever go outside after midnight? We have to contain any entertainment to the daytime hours?

That shouldn't be the case at all, people have the right to go out and this is not downtown KC. There should be some comfort in safety that if someone wanted to close down the bars, or see a late movie, that they will make it home afterwards.

Well, it appears that nightlife in Lawrence is getting more dangerous, but that is just the way the world seems to be headed. Does anyone know when the last time there was a murder in the downtown area?

Sue: I think you are well on your way to getting your own website link to Marion's webpage!

craigers 9 years, 3 months ago

I would have to agree with what somebody has said before. I don't see Lawrence as being any worse than any other city when it comes to late-night violence. Be thankful we don't have a high murder count like the Kansas City area.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 3 months ago

Sue, you go girl! Wonder how his trolling went during the Super Bowl yesterday? I think he was going to work the Plaza ?

OTS: I agree with Craigers and most everyone else here.

QB1976 9 years, 3 months ago

Does anyone understand that no matter where you are or what you are doing someone or something could happen? There is always going to be a stupid person out there that is going to try and mess things up for the rest of us, but that is not a reason for us to say that things are bad in our town!!!

YourItalianPrincess 9 years, 3 months ago

OMB........... ROLMAO here........OMG that was to funny.

I used to go disco dancing at the Cloud 9 Dance Hall at Knott's Berry Farm in Cali. I remember wearing my mary janes, stretch pants, and mens t-shirts ( long to the knees with baby doll socks ) and my hair sprayed to high with Aqua Net. OMG what a flash back that was right now.

I don't go out to the clubs much anymore. They are full of college kids and most of the time I feel out of place anyway. I know you are as young as you feel, but its not the same. I do feel young at 42, but the crowds out there seem to act much younger ( if you know what I mean ) then they really are.

rhd99 9 years, 3 months ago

No, I don't think it is getting more dangerous during the nightlife in Lawrence, although after I drop somebody off at their place after work, I do sometimes run into traffic, rarely, but it happens.

teach1reach1 9 years, 3 months ago

Dang! What happened to the photos? One day we had Glamour Shots style photos, and today it looks like someone took a disposeable camera into Jefferson's.

Adrienne Sanders 9 years, 3 months ago

Lawrence, Kansas is simply not a dangerous place to live. Anyone who thinks it is lacks perspective.... look at any bigger city; look at Kansas City, for goodness' sake! Yes, this shooting and the guns found near certain clubs recently concern me, but those involved arent' even from Lawrence! I've lived here for nine years, have walked to & from & around downtown at all hours of the day and night and never run into trouble of any kind.

bankboy119 9 years, 3 months ago

You know dulcinea you're right. All the shootings that I've heard have happened in Lawrence have all involved someone from out of town.

beatrice 9 years, 3 months ago

Perhaps the violence was created by some unhappy Seahawks fans!

Aileen Dingus 9 years, 3 months ago

Macon- by your reasoning, we should all be living in bunkers, armed to the teeth and waiting for the apocalypse.

Bad things happen to people at all hours. Watch the news- 11:40am, 8:30am, 5:00pm...

If we cower during the night, soon we'll be cowering during the day. That may be your solution, but it sure isn't mine.

acg 9 years, 3 months ago

People get drunk before midnight, and drive. People shoot at each other before midnight, every day, all over this country. After midnight has nothing to do with it. Lawrence is getting more dangerous. As the population of the city grows, so do the crime statistics. You can't pack that many people into one relatively small city and expect occasional violence to break out. Also, as more people come to Lawrence from Topeka and KC to party, they bring their violence and their stupid little gangsta wars with them. When I first moved to Lawrence, back in the late 80's, the club venues were not hip hop. The live music shows were basically indie, alternative, rock, jazz and blues. Not much gunning one another down like dogs amongst those crowds. I usually try not to blame a specific music or culture but let's be realistic and say what's on our minds here. When you have a type of music that promotes killings, beatings and rapes, do you expect the people that love that type of music to be pure and good? I'm not dumb enough to believe that a lot of the folks that follow the gangsta lifestyle aren't packing heat. So, personally, when a large group of them gather together, I try to be absent. Who knows when bullets are going to start flying around?

acg 9 years, 3 months ago

grr not expect occasional violence to break out It's a Monday. :(

Richard Heckler 9 years, 3 months ago

The city needs to be able to project an extremely consistent and firm message to local night spots that this is not a tolerable circumstance no matter how much revenue a business generates. So far as I am concerned they can take their money and hit the road. Lawrence can still be extremely successful without the violent nature of a few night spots.

So what if the flying bullets missed the intended target and hit some innocent young person completely uninvolved such as one of your children? Maybe your wife,husband or lover? I am not willing to accept that because it happens with some degree of frequency elsewhere that it must be expected in Lawrence. Sure everywhere has some level of violence however that does not mean that we should do nothing about obvious violent hot spots.

The time of night could have been 8,9,10,11 or 12. So what does time have to do with the problem?

Parties involving gun activity have certainly increased.

Ragingbear 9 years, 3 months ago

we should make a curfew for everybody, making it illegal to be out after 11pm.....

How many people have actually SUBMITTED this idea?

lisabeth2002 9 years, 3 months ago

LJW, Here's a tip: Ask this question to people that are actually old enough to go to bars downtown!

katethegreat 9 years, 3 months ago

Wow...so much 70's and disco talk today! You can still dress up like that and hear that music...The Taproom this Thursday night!!!

Dolly Surprise!!!

I love the nightlife in Lawrence. I never feel unsafe. I walk home alone all the time. Shootings like this happen everywhere.

There is no reason to stop going to the granada. Perhaps don't go on a friday or saturday, but that doesn't mean you should avoid it alltogether.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 3 months ago

Once again it appears that the thought police of the Journal-World have been active.

Arsloch: I thought your Danish embassy comment was funny, even if no one else did...

Confrontation 9 years, 3 months ago

I think this post should be open only to those who are of the current nightlife generation. All the older people don't understand the real nightlife in Lawrence. I don't often see older people on Mass Street at night, so they shouldn't comment. They sit at home and fear the unknown, and then get on here and post like they know what they're talking about. When your info comes from the newspaper or evening news, then you aren't getting the whole truth. Your parents felt the same way about Elvis or the Rolling Stones. Really, don't comment unless you actually partake in the nightlife (not including late night pie at Perkins or a Honky Tonk show at a VFW lodge).

rabb 9 years, 3 months ago

You reap what you sow. Simple as that.

If you go out after midnight, you deserve to be shot.

Ladies, if you're dressed provocatively, you're asking for it.

And if your house is bombed, who told you to live in Iraq.

Glad I moved to Los Angeles, where it's safe.

Kathleen Christian 9 years, 3 months ago

Why must we have so many bars anyway? Have young people evolved to such a point they no longer know how to have good clean fun without having to drink, listen to loud music (not that music is bad), dancing as if they are having sex, not to mention with barely enough cloth to cover their bodies? Seems society has pushed and allowed this kind of behavior to the point now it is becoming more violent - it has to because I think the young people are getting bored with the traditional night life and now need more action and excitement.

acg 9 years, 3 months ago

I'm curious confrontation. What do you consider old?

badger 9 years, 3 months ago

As recently as this past June, I wandered around in Lawrence at all hours and never felt unsafe. I have sat in the Borders lot talking to friends until dawn (and had no trouble with the Last Call patrons as they left the bar and headed to their vehicles), walked up and down Mass at 2am, hung out in South Park well after midnight, and whether I was alone or with friends, I never felt that I was taking any undue chances.

Sometimes violent things happen. They can happen in a small town in Missouri, or in Lawrence, or in New York City.

What will define the community is how it responds to violence in its midst. When violent tragedy strikes, how exactly is it that Lawrence responds?

I think it's telling that the primary focus for an awful lot of people seems to be finding someone or something to blame, using tragedy to beat whatever one's personal agenda drum is (more gun control, less gun control, more cops, better cops, censorship on rap music, whatever), and spending a lot more time worrying about how to spin it so the right 'issue' gets attention from it - instead of any concern for the victims of violence and tragedy.

Or did I miss something where the deceased and injured victims of this crime somehow merited what happened to them? Lot of people just don't seem to be too in touch with the notion that there's a family and a set of friends out there mourning someone who was very important to them, and another set of family and friends praying for smart doctors and swift healing.

Ember 9 years, 3 months ago

Have to agree with T_O_B. I don't get it either.

RonBurgandy 9 years, 3 months ago

Reap what you sew by going out after midnight? Wow, apparantely that is the cutoff time for safety. I remember all the times that I have been shot b/c I went out late, those really hurt.

And how dare there be people that shoot or engage in violence in the daytime, don't they know the rules? One other question, what time is it safe to go back out again? Just so I know when I can get the paper....

BunE 9 years, 3 months ago

Once again, are you people kidding?

Bars are fun, people who shoot people are bad, people who go to bars may run into bad people, so be careful.

Perhaps if the Lawrence Police Department would project a consistant precence things like this would happen less.

Why can't people just go to church and then have a picnic and hold hands and get married at 18? What with all of the devil dancing and the marilyn manson and the like, why when I was a youngster, we used to go to mixers at the school, I remember when I was in the jitterbug contest with my best girl, we danced and danced and then some jokester hit the switch that opened that swimming pool and darned if we didn't fall in! Gosh! It was a hoot! Then everybody just jumped it with us and me and my best gal just kept jitter buggin!

Wow, I think that I'll tune into the fireside chat tonight and go out and sell warbonds to finance the war! Personal sacrifice is in! Demon whiskey is out.

lunacydetector 9 years, 3 months ago

BunE, i saw the same movie but are you sure SHE was REALLY your best girl at the time of the pool incident, or are you embellishing a little bit? and the jokester who flicked the switch, wasn't he shot in a bar room fight later in life, then shot to death the next year during an argument over a dog? does Alfalfa from 'our gang' ring a bell?

what was the question of the day again?

neopolss 9 years, 3 months ago

Truth be told, most of this is simply more coverage by the media than anything. Crime has been consistantly declining for the past 12 years, yet the nightly news covers nothing but accidents, shootings, kids bringing guns to school, and murders. Something is wrong in this country - we love being afraid all the time. Anyone who has watched Bowling for Columbine probably knows what I speak of - the state of fear.

YourItalianPrincess 9 years, 3 months ago

Anywhere you move and decide to live there is going to be crime.

Coming from Cali I never went to LA unless I needed to go to the airport. LA is not the place to be at night. When we decided to move here my mom said " Lawrence is safe and theres no crime really ". Well since moving here in 97 there has been plenty of crime.

Basically like the first paragraph..........Anywhere you move and decide to live there is going to be crime.

BunE 9 years, 3 months ago

LD: A Dream? Sir you wound me.

Later I kept the Savings and Loan from falling into old man Potter's hands!

topcityscatteam 9 years, 3 months ago

What I want to know is .... how good was the concert?

beatrice 9 years, 3 months ago

Confrontation: "I don't often see older people on Mass Street at night, so they shouldn't comment."

If we were discussing the merits of the bands playing on Mass, then you might have a point. Instead, we are talking about people being shot and killed, thus everyone should be involved. You see, bullets don't stop at the edge of Mass Street, or agree to only penetrate the bodies of late-night and youthful revelers. Instead, sometimes bullets shot out of drunken stupidity and immaturity hit people other than the intended victims. Bullets shot within the city limits have the potential of going into homes through windows and walls, and have been known to kill innocent people - young and old alike. So it isn't just a late-night street issue, and it is an issue for the entire community.

TOB: "Mass hysteria" -- well done!

jonas 9 years, 3 months ago

neopolss:

81,872 People Were Not Shot and Killed Today.
Nairb Rollem, LJWorld staff

It was reported today that yesterday in Lawrence, all but one of the current residents and visitors were not killed in violent gun fights. Experts cited the small town atmosphere, advice from a screaming Macon47, and other miscellaneous factors in the large lack of bullet-ridden corpses.
Interviewing one resident, "I been here for eight years, and I still never seen a dead body. I think real violent crime's not a problem here. Want some coffee? It's kinda old."

see. It just doesn't have the same. . . .pop.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 3 months ago

hey, think I was in school with nairb...

and some "older folks" (shudders, insert old guy sound effect) actually care about others, and want safety for younger people who might frequent the downtown area at night! we don't want them to run into scofflaws and get into fisticufs. then, they might have to be hauled off to the hooscow by the mann.
and we certainly do not want to see any one killed, all satire aside.

Confrontation 9 years, 3 months ago

Beatrice: I am referring to all the older people who stereotype what goes on downtown, yet they are not involved in the scene. They get their info from the newspaper and feel they need to post about it, even though they have no real knowledge about the nightlife here in town. I understand that everyone should be concerned about any shooting in Lawrence, but most people posting today are making comments about the music and the bars, even though they don't have any experience with any of it.

Ceallach 9 years, 3 months ago

It's much more dangerous than Lawrence downtown used to be, it's just not as dangerous as KC and other larger cities. The question is, how far back you are going in your evaluation? Probably no more than in the last few years, but much more than in previous decades.

Did anyone else catch the geriatric version of the Stones last night? IMHO it was sad, sad, sad.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 3 months ago

Oh Ceallach, you mean they didn't start you up?

or did they start you up to switch the channel?

Ceallach 9 years, 3 months ago

Start me up chucking maybe

I guess those too young to remember when Mick could actually sing, dance around and breathe all at the same time, might have thought the performance was okay, but man was it lame! And when he was shaking his arms around in the air -- well let's just say there's a reason older women seldom wear short sleeves, and apparently it also applies to older men.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Paul McCartney at his previous performance, so age doesn't have to be an issue. But watching them, . . . as I said, it was sad.

beatrice 9 years, 3 months ago

Cea: me and mine just laughed at Mick's "old lady fat" under his arms. Very sad. I agree that Paul McCartney was great last year, as far as these things go. However, I say as long as people will watch and pay, they should continue to play. I don't hear anyone asking B.B. King to stop playing, and he is what, 80? So I say, keep on keeping on Mick and company, but please keep the shirt on - it makes some of us "uncomfortable."

I liked the post game show, when they gave the Steelers the trophy!!! Go Steelers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Confrontation: oh, okay. We don't want people blaming the music -- with that we agree (even if I am too old to want to listen to it myself).

bearded_gnome 9 years, 3 months ago

Macdonalds announces a brand new offering which should crack the market wide open and have fans screaming: it is made of beef lips and cured beef tongue...it is called a mcJagger.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 3 months ago

yeah, and the protestors are fulfilling the point of that cartoon by their killings and terrorism...don't they get they're proving the cartoon which they despise...c'mon.

Purell 9 years, 3 months ago

"Daddy, what would Americans have done if they didn't like the cartoon"?

"Probably written a letter to the editor, son".

"What the difference, daddy"?

"It's called being civilized, son". "It's about self control and leadership".

Ceallach 9 years, 3 months ago

militant, guess he should stick to doing just two songs then :) and Tina, well, I haven't seen her try to dance lately so I don't know. Wasn't particularly dissin Mick, just hated to see it!

McJagger, good one gnome!! I hope Yellow Rose is doing well, tell her "Hey" for me.

Where is ms_canada? and extra_mustard (extra sassy mustard)?

Hope all y'all have a good night.

Manana

bearded_gnome 9 years, 3 months ago

Ceallach, I think Mrs. Yellowrose is going to write to you, but thanks I passed that on.

and, well, I was dissin' the Mickster...

Purell 9 years, 3 months ago

The mideast holds the key to our energy needs:

Once it is pure glass, we can erect solar collectors and have unlimited energy.

(OK, censors, I'm kidding)

bearded_gnome 9 years, 3 months ago

"hippity hop?" shows that involve children's dancing?

bearded_gnome 9 years, 3 months ago

"hippity hop" down the bunny trail?

this PHD/student is really out to make himself popular around here [smirk].