Previous   Next

Do you want to donate your organs when you die?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 30, 2006

Browse the archives

“Oh yeah, definitely so. I mean, if I can’t use them anymore, someone else can.”

“I’ve told my family that I want to donate mine, but it’s not on my driver’s license.”

“Yes, I’m an organ donor. If I was ever in a situation where I needed one, I would hope there would be someone to donate it.”

“They can have whatever they want of mine when I’m gone.”

Comments

sublime 8 years, 3 months ago

If lives can be saved through my death,why not?

JayCat_67 8 years, 3 months ago

Can't see that I'd have any use for them. It creeps my wife out, but it is on my driver license and in my will.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 3 months ago

Absolutely. "They" can have whatever they want!

jonas 8 years, 3 months ago

If they can all be replaced with various high-powered, bionic accessories and necessities, they can have my internal organs right now!

All hail the machines!

Bone777 8 years, 3 months ago

At this point in my life, I don't own even one organ, but if I ever do buy a couple, I would be glad to donate them upon my death.

They sound beautiful.

Bone777 8 years, 3 months ago

Prospector - nice timing. I like the way you think.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 3 months ago

Actually, I've donated them now for future use when I no longer need them. It will save the trouble of the proper authorities getting a response from me after I'm dead.

Some young man is walking around seeing the world through my Aunts eyes. Wonder if he now finds men who have an uncanny resemblance to Mark Twain handsome??? (That is what my uncle looked like) :)

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 3 months ago

I've told my wife several times: when I'm gone, sell me to Alpo (got the idea from watching a midnight showing of "Eating Raoul" at SUA in the 80's).

Kelly Powell 8 years, 3 months ago

I'm donating my appendix.....I'd give my liver, but it will most likely try to make its' escape at the event of my death....I've abused the poor thing and wouldnt blame it a bit.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 3 months ago

Prospector and Bone, you are starting to scare me...

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 8 years, 3 months ago

You can be an organ donor while you are alive. Most people have 2 kidneys and can funtion well on one. Also bone marow can be donated. And don't forget blood. You don't have to wait to die to donate. If you're healthy, go for it.

knowuh 8 years, 3 months ago

i have recently given this thought... i am currently an organ donor... but i would change it in a heartbeat.

let's just say i get in an accident. and then i'm scraped up off the highway do i want the doctor to focus on trying to save me or saving a part of me to give to someone else?

ms_canada 8 years, 3 months ago

Yes, but who the heck would want them. I don't even want some of them.

ms_canada 8 years, 3 months ago

If anybody would want my gall bladder they are welcome to it. I spent 7 hours in agony yesterday in Emergency with the damn thing. So I would glady part with it. Thank heavens for morphine.

JayCat_67 8 years, 3 months ago

I sent my sinuses to Arizona I sent my liver to peru I sent my lungs and my kidneys for the summer to Sydney but I'm sending my heart to you... (early George Carlin)

H_Lecter 8 years, 3 months ago

Firefox 2.0 (the browser) has spell check that can be used when typing on OTS.

SpeedRacer 8 years, 3 months ago

As I live alone with 2 always hungry dogs ,I fully expect that they will have already eaten all the good stuff by the time I'm found.

moxxie_mama 8 years, 3 months ago

Absolutely I'm already an organ donor. I do give blood every time, and I'd give bone marrow to anyone who needed it. What makes me mad about the bone marrow is that they expect donors to pay for our own testing. If they'd make that free, more would give that too, even if it is slightly painful.

moxxie_mama 8 years, 3 months ago

Old Enuf, I thought I was the only person on earth who saw EATING RAOUL lol.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 3 months ago

Ms_C, sorry about your gall bladder. They are horrible things! Better to have them dealt with promptly. My mom was told to have hers out immediately...so she had it out 15 YEARS later. (This is not recommended.) She had 72 stones and all were big enough to drill holes into for a necklace ala H_L style. I'm really sorry that yours is giving you misery! Get rid of the thing!

I've donated tonsils and 2 placentas. Does that count? Oh, and I donated 10 inches of hair once...but it was dead. I still hope it made someone happy.

Tychoman 8 years, 3 months ago

With organs, you know the majesty of God through their powerful music. You know the mercy of God when it finally stops playing.

Sigmund 8 years, 3 months ago

Nope. They are simply going to use my stem cells to fix and/or clone replacement parts and I'll be good as new again! Pretty sure thats going to be available (and at reasonable prices) before too long.

JayCat_67 8 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, then you can have original parts instead of aftermarket stuff from the salvage yard. :-P

ms_canada 8 years, 3 months ago

conceptual continuity - do you think you could play Mandolin Rain as good as Bruce Hornsby? If so, invite me over. I love that song. I'll even lend my voice for a serenade. That ought to be a real hoot.

ms_canada 8 years, 3 months ago

I P - yes I am feeling honky dory again. Can't keep me down even if you try. Thanks for the sentiment to you and sunny sue. I am truly happy as I have my darling lassie from Calgary with me for a few days. Going to ring in the New Year in style. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL YOU GOOD PEOPLE.

daveundis 8 years, 3 months ago

I want to donate my organs to other organ donors.

About 60% of the organs transplanted in America go to people who haven't agreed to donate their own organs when they die. As long as we let non-donors jump to the front of the waiting list if they need a transplant we'll always have an organ shortage.

There is a simple way to put a big dent in the organ shortage -- give organs first to people who have agreed to donate their own organs when they die.

Giving organs first to organ donors will convince more people to donate. It will also make the organ allocation system fairer. People who aren't willing to share the gift of life should go to the back of the waiting list as long as there is a shortage of organs.

Anyone who wants to donate their organs to others who have agreed to donate theirs can join LifeSharers. LifeSharers is a non-profit network of organ donors who agree to offer their organs first to other organ donors when they die. Membership is free at www.lifesharers.org or by calling 1-888-ORGAN88. There is no age limit, and no one is excluded due to any pre-existing medical condition. LifeSharers has 7,401 members, including 60 members in Kansas. Over 700 LifeSharers members are minor children enrolled by their parents.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 3 months ago

daveundis, that was the biggest batch of drivel I've ever heard. You (and those like you) must be the type who only give gifts with the expectation of something in return. (I can't stand people like that...as a general rule.)

A scenerio for you: So, your darling mother (who is diabetic and thus, unsuitable for organ donation) desperately needs a kidney and you are the only perfect match. You simply let her die because you know you will get no promise that she will reciprocate to others? Her body will only "use up" that organ in a matter of years so why bother? This is assinine! I am glad for you in your sheltered little life that you have never known a truly good person that has been in need and unable to give back. Then again, that loss of experience has made you what you are today. An uncaring, unthinking idiot.

yellowhouse 8 years, 2 months ago

MY FINAL WISH

When my walk on earth has ended, and Gods Angels call me home The choices that you will make for me should not be made alone.

I pray you will take my sins and to the Devil give Then take my heart, and every part So another life can live!

Take my soul and my good deeds To God I give my best! Then into the earth my empty shell Is all you will lay to rest!

I pray each smile and memory we shared will still live on, And you will keep me in your heart Though in body I will be gone.

Do these things I ask of you and you should doubt them never Then know that I shall rest in peace As I live with God forever!

Carrie