Previous   Next

How do you bring in the new year?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 27, 2006

Browse the archives

“I just hang out with my family and friends and try to think of a good resolution I can stick to.”

“Usually we just sit at a friend’s house and have everyone over, because going out is too much work.”

“I try to do something special, because how you spend your New Year’s represents the way the rest of the year will turn out.”

“I drink, party and hang out with good friends.”

Comments

jonas 8 years ago

Put it in a tiara and a pretty dress, and have it come out the upper door and down the sweeping staircase to the veranda.

cowgomoo 8 years ago

Toast the haggis with Glenfiddich, read a Robbie Burns poem aloud, play a few tunes on the pipes and call it good.

Linda Aikins 8 years ago

Wow Jonas - they are making blowup dolls very accommodating these days, aren't they? You can dress them up but still can't take them out, you know...tee hee

I go to bed about 10:00, wake up at 12:30, say "good, that's over," go back to sleep. Boring, huh.

Kelly Powell 8 years ago

watch the amateur drinkers make complete asses out of them selves....then cry into my vodka.

jonas 8 years ago

Gootsie: If you can't take it out, you're either not quick enough to cover, or you have too much fear. Hell, with some bars in town, it's almost impossible to tell the difference.

beatrice 8 years ago

Usually, I don't have to bring it in -- it tends to come in all on its own, even when uninvited.

trinity 8 years ago

lol these are some great answers! gootsie i'm with you, i generally miss the ringing in of the new year, ball dropping, and all that hooha. if i do gather with friends i generally get po'd when they get stupid sloppy drunk&i come home early. ;)

geekin_topekan 8 years ago

I love fall and spring because they are the seasons of change.Same with the new year.I love to reflect on the past year and remember the high points and lows and see what lasting effect they actually had.Absolutely none is the most common observation. As i grow older I have discovered that the highlights grow fewer and farther between.I wonder if this is a sign that I have actually learned something over the past few years and the cause/effect experiments are growing more predictable and therefore left alone.Or maybe I am simply getting older and less adventurous and consider caution whenever I embark on another adventure.Which is why I stay home more often than not anymore. Either way,I do have a resolve to visit Mexico,lose several pounds and join the World of Warcraft this year. Bring in the new year?I will be at work.

craigers 8 years ago

I don't know how this year will go. First year with a baby, so I am assuming I will be close to a bed when the new year comes in. I'm pretty boring and like to just hang out and have a good time with some family and friends.

Topside 8 years ago

Hey geekin topekan, quit waiting World of Warcraft is the bomb. they have been offering a 10 day free trial but don't bother because you'll get hooked.

canyon_wren 8 years ago

Esq23B--I just got back from a resort near Playa del Carmen--first time out of the country. Beautiful water and great Margaritas. Are you going snorkeling at Xel-Ha? I envy you your New Year's plans!

I usually fix lots of good treats for my daughter and son-in-law and their friends who come over. We play poker and other games. We go outside and set off some fireworks at midnight and listen to the horns blowing and folks hollering all around town.

I love the new year coming on with a chance to start on fresh plans--I'm weird, as I like January and Mondays, and most folks don't. Happy New Year to all the posters--I hope 2007 is a good year for all of you!

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

I bring in the new year in a very large paper bag. I also go somewhere where it's not too far to walk home. Can't wait to drop a few cracker crumbs on the floor. Although, I could give it all up for smelt wrestling...for the right offer, that is.

Linda Aikins 8 years ago

Trinity - yes. I am not a drinker so being around drunks reminds me of my last boyfriend who was completely ridiculous. And rednekbuddah, you were the first to use that word amateur! bummer! You're fun though, but I don't think it's good to be a professional drinker really.

Bea, I used to feel that way about New Year's - just another *%R& year. Thank goodness that's no longer the case.

C1, sounds like that fancy tie did the trick! Did you wear more than the collar?

Jonas, I think Last Call would be a good place to take "Britney" but you will need to be sure she is packing first. (that could be misinterpreted, couldn't it?)

Kathy Getto 8 years ago

I celebrate the Hogmanay with friends, family, good food, and, after the company leaves, a cozy fire and my sweet husband!

sublime 8 years ago

Wrestling? MMA is much more exciting. The UFC 66 "liddell vs. Ortiz 2" is on the 30th .

sister 8 years ago

Perhaps a bonfire this year fueled by items I need to rid myself from. (like the size 6 panties I will never fit into ever again) Nothing like a good psychological cleansing to start the new year off pure and free. If you have anything you want to throw in the pile, feel free.

juscin3 8 years ago

Not sure how we will bring in the new year. Usually we are somewhere out of town and hang out with family.

Woodduck_5363 8 years ago

I will be spending my New Years in church.singing and eating and just sharing with my church family.

Thanking the Lord for another years and the many blessings he has given me and my family and friends

Happy New Year everyone

ms_canada 8 years ago

I have a lot of N. Y. Eve memories and none of them very good. I just got sick of all the phoney smaltz and that stupid kissing at midnight. Yuk, every jerk in the place had to seek out every pair of feminine lips for a smack. Soooooooo stupid. I guess I am a real spoil sport. I would gladly join pywacket at that kitchen table for some good old card games or Trivial Pursuit and have a glass of good champagne at midnight. Good champers, not that cheap stuff, though. Let's see, where did I put those cards? But,,,,,, my eldest chick will be coming home and we will all go to a really nice restaurant for dinner and then maybe call on some good folk for a few minutes to wish them well and back home for a board game. Anyone know a really good board game? Help!!!!!!

sgtwolverine 8 years ago

Hey everyone. Belated merry Christmas, and early happy new year. I got busy, but now I have some time to say hello.

I bring in the new year by ignoring it. Okay, actually, I don't, but a few years ago I was with some friends, and about fifteen minutes before midnight we said oh, it's getting close ... and then we lost track of time and didn't look at the clock again until 12:05. Oops. We've been more watchful since then.

Oh, and these are my Christmas greetings from Michigan: http://burrillstrong.com/wordpress/photos/ski2.jpg That's how I spent part of my Christmas day.

But don't be fooled: during this absurd excuse for winter we're having so far, that's the only place we have snow.

Bone777 8 years ago

I streak around the neighborhood looking for low hanging mistletoe.

Linda Aikins 8 years ago

TOB, you'll be the talk of the town now until Valentine's Day! Did anyone mention me? Maybe that's all behind everyone now...

I bet you can tell me who now uses a different brand of toilet paper, can't you?

Wow sgt! Nice picture! They really make those cardboard things that you stick your face into look real these days, don't they? What' next? You and Yogi?

Off to the city. Have a fun day!

sgtwolverine 8 years ago

Gootsie, if I could get Yogi on the slopes, I'd get a picture with him, too!

Here are all the pictures I posted: http://burrillstrong.com/wordpress/?p=161

canyon_wren 8 years ago

ms_canada--a good game we just got is Man Bites Dog--you have to make headlines with word cards--some words are worth more than other--it's kind of fun. We are also playing Sequence, a board/card game that goes fast with a lot of players, but can get stymied with just a few. Scattergories is sort of fun if you know anything about sports teams or TV shows--not having had TV for over 40 years, I don't do well with that and when the timer goes off, it drives everyone crazy!

I just got Pit for Christmas (a real old game--from about 1902?--that a lot of people have played before, but I hadn't). It, too, is not as exciting with just 3, but should be fun with more. Have a great NYE!

SpeedRacer 7 years, 12 months ago

I go to a bar a block away so I don't have to drive. I usually only stay until after the New Year toast 'cause it gets a little weird after that.

Everyone have a great New Year, and, please, if you drink don't drive - call a cab. And, Play Safe...we all tend to lose our inhibitions on New Years Eve, so carry your goodies with you.

H_Lecter 7 years, 12 months ago

I usually wait until others have the inhibitions chemically lowered, then persuade them to be organ donors.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 12 months ago

Ms_C, Christmas day we played our mandatory game of 5 pt pitch. My niece was taught by my brother as soon as she could count and so she's hard to beat...but I come close! We also played Trivial persuit (Disney edition for my daughter and 80's edition for my sister). Then, we played a board game called "Imagine if..." It was pretty fun and you got to pick on people.

RI, dice? Lots!

Sister, I have a few things to throw on that bon fire! I'm going to compile a list. Actually, the first thing to burn will be my "to do" list.

ms_canada 7 years, 12 months ago

canyon wren - thanks for the tips. I will go to Toys R Us and look those over. Also the ones from sue. On Christmas Day at my nephews we played Apple to Apple. It was some fun but I would not buy it. there are card games that are fun too.

canyon_wren 7 years, 12 months ago

ms_canada--we have Apples to Apples, too. Not too exciting, but seems to work well for a big crowd that can't do much with other games. A Forest Service friend also brings a game similar to Mexican Train that's about fire-fighting--when you "succeed," you push a button that sets off the sirens, which gets a little tiresome after a few rounds!

R-I--no, I didn't get the version with the bell, unfortunately! Bet that increases the stress level a little. I imagine it can get wild with enough people.

ohjayhawk 7 years, 12 months ago

ms_c - Taboo is always a fun game. You have to get your teammate(s) to guess a word without saying 5 words that are "taboo".

sunflower_sue 7 years, 12 months ago

RI, (et al) thanks for not correcting my spelling of "pursuit." I think I should never re-read posts because it oft' makes me cringe.

PIT...we had that as youngins'. Loved it (although I'm not sure why, other than we got to be very loud).

oldfashiongirl 7 years, 12 months ago

Hello everyone,

Ms. C, when some of my family get together we play the French card game, "Mille Bornes" and in Paris one would holler out "coup ferrat" (sp?). I like to play Scrabble as well as do jigsaw puzzles. I try to stay up, but around 10PM, I doze off and sometimes miss the TV covering the lowering of the ball. I don't drink, but usually brew up some hot cider punch.

In my earlier years we would all go to church for a watchnight service.

Have a very prosperous New Year Year and I look forward to reading your posts. Maybe the questions will improve this year

beatrice 7 years, 12 months ago

RI, I agree on the wording of the question, hence my post this morning. Like the passage of time, we have nothing to do with the "bringing in" of the New Year. It is going to arrive no matter what we do. What we do, is the ringing in.

Board game -- Risk! Nothing says Happy New Years like world domination.