Previous   Next

How do you bring in the new year?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 27, 2006

Browse the archives

“I just hang out with my family and friends and try to think of a good resolution I can stick to.”

“Usually we just sit at a friend’s house and have everyone over, because going out is too much work.”

“I try to do something special, because how you spend your New Year’s represents the way the rest of the year will turn out.”

“I drink, party and hang out with good friends.”

Comments

Pywacket 7 years, 3 months ago

Oldfashiongirl~ We played Mille Bournes when I was a kid. We loved it. I bought the game a few years ago but was less than charmed with the updated "new & improved" appearance, so I turned to eBay and bought an original, circa 1962 (give or take) copy and we use that. I always liked the creatures that represented whatever speed card they were on: snail for 25 mph, rabbit for 100, bird for 200 (I can't think what 50 and 75 are).

For those who are not familiar with this fine road race game, Mille Bournes (which means "1000 miles") is all about winning the race safely (not too much speeding, not too many accidents) while sabotaging your opponents with flat tire cards, out of gas, accident, stop, or speed limit.. It's so rewarding to see someone have to sit and stew with a flat tire you've laid on him, trying in vain to draw a spare! mwahahaha....

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 3 months ago

Bea, Forgive me, I was rushing about, and failed to read and cogitate your words.

"Ringing in"

I am not sure, but in days gone by, mariners had to set their timepieces so they could navigate the deep blue seas with a table of computations, a timepiece, and a sextant. (No sue, not a sex tent.) A time ball was dropped from a tower by the port master, and the ships timepieces were able to be set to precise time. I believe the ships rang their bells, "ringing in" the time. I may not be correct on this, but I think it is a good explanation for the phrase "ringing in".

beatrice 7 years, 3 months ago

RI, I agree on the wording of the question, hence my post this morning. Like the passage of time, we have nothing to do with the "bringing in" of the New Year. It is going to arrive no matter what we do. What we do, is the ringing in.

Board game -- Risk! Nothing says Happy New Years like world domination.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 3 months ago

sue, Since we are only talking about a game, its a trivial issue. :P

oldfashiongirl 7 years, 3 months ago

Hello everyone,

Ms. C, when some of my family get together we play the French card game, "Mille Bornes" and in Paris one would holler out "coup ferrat" (sp?). I like to play Scrabble as well as do jigsaw puzzles. I try to stay up, but around 10PM, I doze off and sometimes miss the TV covering the lowering of the ball. I don't drink, but usually brew up some hot cider punch.

In my earlier years we would all go to church for a watchnight service.

Have a very prosperous New Year Year and I look forward to reading your posts. Maybe the questions will improve this year

sunflower_sue 7 years, 3 months ago

RI, (et al) thanks for not correcting my spelling of "pursuit." I think I should never re-read posts because it oft' makes me cringe.

PIT...we had that as youngins'. Loved it (although I'm not sure why, other than we got to be very loud).

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 3 months ago

I have an issue with the semantics of the OTS question.... How do you bring in the New Year? When I quickly scanned the question, I ignored the "bring" and read "How do you RING in the New Year?". I never have heard the phrase "bring in the new year". Farmers bring in a harvest, cat herders bring in a herd, I bring in a pittance, a jury brings in a verdict, and George Herbert Bush could be counted on to bring in oil wells in Central America banana republics with the help of the CIA. I have never heard of "bring in the New Year" I thought the saying was "ring in the New Year".

ohjayhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

ms_c - Taboo is always a fun game. You have to get your teammate(s) to guess a word without saying 5 words that are "taboo".

canyon_wren 7 years, 3 months ago

ms_canada--we have Apples to Apples, too. Not too exciting, but seems to work well for a big crowd that can't do much with other games. A Forest Service friend also brings a game similar to Mexican Train that's about fire-fighting--when you "succeed," you push a button that sets off the sirens, which gets a little tiresome after a few rounds!

R-I--no, I didn't get the version with the bell, unfortunately! Bet that increases the stress level a little. I imagine it can get wild with enough people.

ms_canada 7 years, 3 months ago

canyon wren - thanks for the tips. I will go to Toys R Us and look those over. Also the ones from sue. On Christmas Day at my nephews we played Apple to Apple. It was some fun but I would not buy it. there are card games that are fun too.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 3 months ago

canyon_wren,

Hopefully the PIT/¢ version you received included the bell too...

Ding.. two, three, three, two, one, one, two, two, two,two, one, one, one,one ...

CORNER ON WHEAT!!!!!!.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 3 months ago

sue,

Yes the plural of die. Bring sets of 5 die with you.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 3 months ago

"I go to a bar a block away so I don't have to drive. I usually only stay until after the New Year toast 'cause it gets a little weird after that." Speedracer

Do you live near the Last Call?

sunflower_sue 7 years, 3 months ago

Ms_C, Christmas day we played our mandatory game of 5 pt pitch. My niece was taught by my brother as soon as she could count and so she's hard to beat...but I come close! We also played Trivial persuit (Disney edition for my daughter and 80's edition for my sister). Then, we played a board game called "Imagine if..." It was pretty fun and you got to pick on people.

RI, dice? Lots!

Sister, I have a few things to throw on that bon fire! I'm going to compile a list. Actually, the first thing to burn will be my "to do" list.

H_Lecter 7 years, 3 months ago

I usually wait until others have the inhibitions chemically lowered, then persuade them to be organ donors.

SpeedRacer 7 years, 3 months ago

Everyone have a great New Year, and, please, if you drink don't drive - call a cab. And, Play Safe...we all tend to lose our inhibitions on New Years Eve, so carry your goodies with you.

canyon_wren 7 years, 3 months ago

ms_canada--a good game we just got is Man Bites Dog--you have to make headlines with word cards--some words are worth more than other--it's kind of fun. We are also playing Sequence, a board/card game that goes fast with a lot of players, but can get stymied with just a few. Scattergories is sort of fun if you know anything about sports teams or TV shows--not having had TV for over 40 years, I don't do well with that and when the timer goes off, it drives everyone crazy!

I just got Pit for Christmas (a real old game--from about 1902?--that a lot of people have played before, but I hadn't). It, too, is not as exciting with just 3, but should be fun with more. Have a great NYE!

sgtwolverine 7 years, 3 months ago

Gootsie, if I could get Yogi on the slopes, I'd get a picture with him, too!

Here are all the pictures I posted: http://burrillstrong.com/wordpress/?p=161

Gootsie 7 years, 3 months ago

TOB, you'll be the talk of the town now until Valentine's Day! Did anyone mention me? Maybe that's all behind everyone now...

I bet you can tell me who now uses a different brand of toilet paper, can't you?

Wow sgt! Nice picture! They really make those cardboard things that you stick your face into look real these days, don't they? What' next? You and Yogi?

Off to the city. Have a fun day!

Bone777 7 years, 3 months ago

I streak around the neighborhood looking for low hanging mistletoe.

from_beautiful_downtown_topeka 7 years, 3 months ago

Well, since 2001 I have been "ringing in the new year" by eating leftover food stuffs from the big "Y2K end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it-to-be" stockpile that I made back in the fall of 1999.

I still have a case or two of SPAM left to eat.

That, and an enormous jar of marshmallow Fluff too. .....Which reminds me....I'm (finally) starting to run low on peanut butter to go with it!

Say, I still have a case of size D batteries, and I really don't need that many (any more).---The expiration date is: Aug 2009

I'll gladly trade a few packages of those batteries to someone here for a large jar of Peter Pan peanut butter (unopened, of course).

sgtwolverine 7 years, 3 months ago

Hey everyone. Belated merry Christmas, and early happy new year. I got busy, but now I have some time to say hello.

I bring in the new year by ignoring it. Okay, actually, I don't, but a few years ago I was with some friends, and about fifteen minutes before midnight we said oh, it's getting close ... and then we lost track of time and didn't look at the clock again until 12:05. Oops. We've been more watchful since then.

Oh, and these are my Christmas greetings from Michigan: http://burrillstrong.com/wordpress/photos/ski2.jpg That's how I spent part of my Christmas day.

But don't be fooled: during this absurd excuse for winter we're having so far, that's the only place we have snow.

ms_canada 7 years, 3 months ago

I have a lot of N. Y. Eve memories and none of them very good. I just got sick of all the phoney smaltz and that stupid kissing at midnight. Yuk, every jerk in the place had to seek out every pair of feminine lips for a smack. Soooooooo stupid. I guess I am a real spoil sport. I would gladly join pywacket at that kitchen table for some good old card games or Trivial Pursuit and have a glass of good champagne at midnight. Good champers, not that cheap stuff, though. Let's see, where did I put those cards? But,,,,,, my eldest chick will be coming home and we will all go to a really nice restaurant for dinner and then maybe call on some good folk for a few minutes to wish them well and back home for a board game. Anyone know a really good board game? Help!!!!!!

Woodduck_5363 7 years, 3 months ago

I will be spending my New Years in church.singing and eating and just sharing with my church family.

Thanking the Lord for another years and the many blessings he has given me and my family and friends

Happy New Year everyone

juscin3 7 years, 3 months ago

Not sure how we will bring in the new year. Usually we are somewhere out of town and hang out with family.

Pywacket 7 years, 3 months ago

Used to go to wonderful NY parties at a friend's, but she moved (waaaaaahhh) and no one has taken up the torch. I'm too disorganized to throw a proper NY party, so now we do something different each year.

This year we'll go to the inlaws' & try to keep MIL awake long enough to drink a toast with us. Will sit in the kitchen playing cards or dominoes with FIL and any of my husband's sibs who happen to be there, drink champagne, eat good snacky things, and go outside to see/hear fireworks around their little town at midnight.

And kiss my man, of course.

Then send a grateful MIL and a still-reluctant little tadpole off to bed so we can resume our game in the kitchen.

If no one is up for games, I'll start "When Harry Met Sally" in time for their NY moment to coincide with our NY moment...

But I'd throw it all aside for yellow macintosh and a 6-rows-back-from-ringside seat at a smelt wrestling competition. Wild times!

sister 7 years, 3 months ago

Perhaps a bonfire this year fueled by items I need to rid myself from. (like the size 6 panties I will never fit into ever again) Nothing like a good psychological cleansing to start the new year off pure and free. If you have anything you want to throw in the pile, feel free.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 3 months ago

SWKS is as it was and as it shall be. Things move a bit slower. I went to the post office with a neighbor and it took us an hour and a half. The post office has coffee and on Saturday they also put out donuts. So, much talking about weather, which farm is up at auction, the heathen Crowley children, crooked bank president, etc... Probably the exact same conversations had in every small town PO that day... just the names are different. Many folks were surprised to see that I was not in prison and that I was able to find a woman to have my child.

sublime 7 years, 3 months ago

Wrestling? MMA is much more exciting. The UFC 66 "liddell vs. Ortiz 2" is on the 30th .

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 3 months ago

Welcome back T_O_B.

SWKS is alive and well?

Kathy Getto 7 years, 3 months ago

I celebrate the Hogmanay with friends, family, good food, and, after the company leaves, a cozy fire and my sweet husband!

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 3 months ago

I_P - Oh. Long cold winters in Wooden Foot, eh?

innocuous_posts 7 years, 3 months ago

TOB, it's two humans wrestling in a ring calf-deep in smelt. You don't want to sit in the first 5 rows.

Gootsie 7 years, 3 months ago

Trinity - yes. I am not a drinker so being around drunks reminds me of my last boyfriend who was completely ridiculous. And rednekbuddah, you were the first to use that word amateur! bummer! You're fun though, but I don't think it's good to be a professional drinker really.

Bea, I used to feel that way about New Year's - just another *%R& year. Thank goodness that's no longer the case.

C1, sounds like that fancy tie did the trick! Did you wear more than the collar?

Jonas, I think Last Call would be a good place to take "Britney" but you will need to be sure she is packing first. (that could be misinterpreted, couldn't it?)

sunflower_sue 7 years, 3 months ago

I bring in the new year in a very large paper bag. I also go somewhere where it's not too far to walk home. Can't wait to drop a few cracker crumbs on the floor. Although, I could give it all up for smelt wrestling...for the right offer, that is.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 3 months ago

I_P - Do the smelt wrestle each other or is it Man vs Smelt?

How do I bring in the new year? I dunno. I just do my thing and it kind of does all the work. I stay away from the amatuers and the roads. The wife and I used to go out for a nice early dinner but this year with child we may settle for something else.

canyon_wren 7 years, 3 months ago

Esq23B--I just got back from a resort near Playa del Carmen--first time out of the country. Beautiful water and great Margaritas. Are you going snorkeling at Xel-Ha? I envy you your New Year's plans!

I usually fix lots of good treats for my daughter and son-in-law and their friends who come over. We play poker and other games. We go outside and set off some fireworks at midnight and listen to the horns blowing and folks hollering all around town.

I love the new year coming on with a chance to start on fresh plans--I'm weird, as I like January and Mondays, and most folks don't. Happy New Year to all the posters--I hope 2007 is a good year for all of you!

consumer1 7 years, 3 months ago

I have not been advised yet exactly what I will be doing. But, I am soooo tired from Christmas Holiday I am ready to sleep for a week. And Goots, I know you know exactly why I am sooooo tired.... I am toe up!! AND I love it.

Esq2eB 7 years, 3 months ago

I will be on a beach in Playa Del Carmen!

Topside 7 years, 3 months ago

Hey geekin topekan, quit waiting World of Warcraft is the bomb. they have been offering a 10 day free trial but don't bother because you'll get hooked.

innocuous_posts 7 years, 3 months ago

This year, I'll be at the World Smelt Wrestling Championship in Wooden Foot, Wisconsin. As a spectator, I might add.

craigers 7 years, 3 months ago

I don't know how this year will go. First year with a baby, so I am assuming I will be close to a bed when the new year comes in. I'm pretty boring and like to just hang out and have a good time with some family and friends.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 3 months ago

Usually go to the neighbors, make a mess, and leave.

This coming new year... Apparently the neighbors have invited themselves.

geekin_topekan 7 years, 3 months ago

I love fall and spring because they are the seasons of change.Same with the new year.I love to reflect on the past year and remember the high points and lows and see what lasting effect they actually had.Absolutely none is the most common observation. As i grow older I have discovered that the highlights grow fewer and farther between.I wonder if this is a sign that I have actually learned something over the past few years and the cause/effect experiments are growing more predictable and therefore left alone.Or maybe I am simply getting older and less adventurous and consider caution whenever I embark on another adventure.Which is why I stay home more often than not anymore. Either way,I do have a resolve to visit Mexico,lose several pounds and join the World of Warcraft this year. Bring in the new year?I will be at work.

trinity 7 years, 3 months ago

lol these are some great answers! gootsie i'm with you, i generally miss the ringing in of the new year, ball dropping, and all that hooha. if i do gather with friends i generally get po'd when they get stupid sloppy drunk&i come home early. ;)

beatrice 7 years, 3 months ago

Usually, I don't have to bring it in -- it tends to come in all on its own, even when uninvited.

Damian666 7 years, 3 months ago

The same ol' thing - a human sacrifice on a raised pentagram. (yawn)

jonas 7 years, 3 months ago

Gootsie: If you can't take it out, you're either not quick enough to cover, or you have too much fear. Hell, with some bars in town, it's almost impossible to tell the difference.

Kelly Powell 7 years, 3 months ago

watch the amateur drinkers make complete asses out of them selves....then cry into my vodka.

Gootsie 7 years, 3 months ago

Wow Jonas - they are making blowup dolls very accommodating these days, aren't they? You can dress them up but still can't take them out, you know...tee hee

I go to bed about 10:00, wake up at 12:30, say "good, that's over," go back to sleep. Boring, huh.

cowgomoo 7 years, 3 months ago

Toast the haggis with Glenfiddich, read a Robbie Burns poem aloud, play a few tunes on the pipes and call it good.

jonas 7 years, 3 months ago

Put it in a tiara and a pretty dress, and have it come out the upper door and down the sweeping staircase to the veranda.