Previous   Next

Do you think the city should support a domestic partner registry?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 23, 2006

Browse the archives

“Yeah, because it doesn’t matter if you are in a gay relationship or not. You should have the same rights regardless of what you’re in.”

“I guess if it were something that would really help people and it’s feasible for the city to do it, then I would be in favor of it. But if it’s something that would be purely symbolic, I think the city’s time would be better spent elsewhere.”

“Yes, absolutely. I think benefits for domestic partners such as health and life insurance are extremely important.”

“Yeah. It sounds like a good idea. I don’t think anyone should be treated differently because of who they are. It’s a good opportunity to treat people more equally.”

Related story

Comments

budwhysir 7 years, 3 months ago

Oh how I love how this works. One little comment about the other side of our community and everyone turns on each other and forgets about emails and tax hikes.

Politicaly speaking this article has achieved what it was intenede for, breaking down the barriers and allowing for us to procede with tax increses, a new library, downtown revitalization. And even waterfolification.

Let us keep our eyes on the prize and our figures on the pulse

Tychoman 7 years, 3 months ago

sigh yet another troll. At least give us a smart one, not a stupid one like thunderbuns. Really, I bet she's 13 years old.

thunderbuns 7 years, 3 months ago

Kathy Getto 7 years, 3 months ago

thunderbuns=homophobe

Oh, and "yes" to the question.

Tychoman 7 years, 4 months ago

thunderbuns:

DUH. Thanks for answering my question about being American or human. Not many people cut to the chase like you do, buns.

thunderbuns 7 years, 4 months ago

Tychoman = gay

Oh, and "no" to the question.

Tychoman 7 years, 4 months ago

You "no" posters are DISGUSTING. Seriously. Are you even American? Human? Something remotely resembling one of the two?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 4 months ago

bea, You could use one of my favorite quotes...

"How did you go bankrupt?" Bill asked. "Two ways," Mike said. "Gradually and then suddenly."

"The Sun Also Rises" - Enest Hemmingway

beatrice 7 years, 4 months ago

I don't know why, but I feel like writing a quote that reminds me of someone.

"His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." Woody Allen

Gosh, I sure think quotes about bunkruptcy are funny.

beatrice 7 years, 4 months ago

My God it suddenly smells bad around here. Did somebody just fart?

Marion Lynn 7 years, 4 months ago

beatrice:

Get your quotations correct if you are going to blather about the 'net!

It ain't MONEY, it is the LOVE OF MONEY, you dimwit!

Ain't at all the same thing!

What a tragedy that folks such as you live your lives based on FALSE knowledge!:

Thanks.

Marion.

beatrice 7 years, 4 months ago

okay, RI, you semi-conscious reversable antichrist, as you prefer.

innocuous_posts 7 years, 4 months ago

If there was no registry, everyone might wind up giving the new couple a toaster.

Napoleon_Dynomite 7 years, 4 months ago

Let's just end it all right here right now. Bring on the nuclear war. The other positive result will be the end of global warming.

Season's greetings!

justathought 7 years, 4 months ago

better ask freddy phelps!! He'll need to apply straight away

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 4 months ago

Bea,

"freakin granola-eater freakity freak"

I beg to differ...

Never have ate granola....

I would rather see the term "semi-conservative revisionist anarchist.

shadower 7 years, 4 months ago

Hey, all you good "christians", how does registry hurt you?

beatrice 7 years, 4 months ago

Oh, and sorry about that closing. I just wanted to see what it felt like to call someone a granola-eater. I must say, it didn't do much for me.

beatrice 7 years, 4 months ago

RI, I believe you are correct! Even the cash register. Seems good to the business owner, but we all know that money is the root of all evil. Good observation there -- you freakin granola-eater freakity freak.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 4 months ago

Bea,

Yep, no bridal registry in Kansas...

The way I view this....

Most things called a "registry" are for control purposes only.

Sex offenders registry Do not call registry National Firearms Registry Windows Registry Alien Registry Breed registry Selective service registry

It is a list.
There is no benefit from the list.
What there would be is a list that would be "public information". All of a sudden, your "domestic partner registry" is a way to control, restrict, persecute, tax, exclude, watch.

For all of time, "registry has been synonymous with evil.

As Christ's Mass day draws near, recall that if Roman Emperor Augustus had not created a registry, Jesus would have been born in the comfort of his Nazareth home, rather than in a lowly manger.

faceit 7 years, 4 months ago

Who cares about a law by freaks for freaks? Freakin Granola-eaters!

texburgh 7 years, 4 months ago

What to do about same sex unions... How about this - the state does not perform "marriage." Call marriage "holy matrimony" and leave it to every religious organization to decide which unions they will "sanctify." Holy marriage or holy matrimony can only be made so by a religious body. The state on the other hand can and should be able to recognize any union of two people for the "under law" stuff like inheritance, life decisions, etc. Let the state recognize a religious marriage ceremony as a civil union but don't force any religious body to accept a civil union as a sanctified marriage. Separation of church and state...what a concept. The state should not be in the business of telling religious groups whether or not they can sanctify a union - same sex or opposite sex - nor should any religious organization be in the business of telling the state what unions the state can and should recognize for legal purposes. I would however suggest that such unions recognized by the state be kept to members of the same species.

beatrice 7 years, 4 months ago

RI, we know it isn't a bridal registry -- at least not in Kansas.

I say YES! to the idea of recognizing loving partnerships. To do otherwise is just mean.

bone -- made me laugh. : )

Bone777 7 years, 4 months ago

Domestic partner registry?

How gay.

Pywacket 7 years, 4 months ago

Excellent response, rednekbuddha. As for the self-appointed arbiters of OTHER PEOPLE'S MORALITY, they can go crawl back under their rocks.

Black & white? Right & wrong? Get used to shades of gray, cretin. We--including 40-something, hetero, atheist, married-with-children types-- are sick of you shoving your bible and your skewed sense of values down our throats.

I don't even consider you a real Christian if you're making those kinds of comments. Most of my loved ones and friends are Christians and they would never be so exclusionary toward folks who are just looking for equal rights. You're a disgrace to the religion you are so fond of spouting.

Legal benefits of domestic partnerships are long overdue.

I'd take it one step further and make it for either gay or hetero couples. There are a lot of hetero couples who have lived in a loving committed relationship for years (just like gay counterparts), who would feel uncomfortable with a conventional marriage. They, too, deserve insurance benefits, legal rights when a spouse becomes disabled, etc.

These benefits should be included in any ordinance that is considered or, as rednekbuddha points out, the ordinance would be worthless.

milkman_dan 7 years, 4 months ago

ps: we really need this to help get insurance for our kids.

milkman_dan 7 years, 4 months ago

Since my sister and I can't find anyone willing to marry us, I hope this will help.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 4 months ago

Registry? What kind of registry would this be like?

Sex offenders registry? Do not call registry? National Firearms Registry?

lrN51EXCXydF 7 years, 4 months ago

Yes. All the homos should be put on a list so we can keep track of them along with the other sex offenders.

H_Lecter 7 years, 4 months ago

Do they have to be alive to be registered? They might still be considered a close companion. This is just a theoretical question, not a question that I personally need answered and certainly not any reason for the authorities to search my basement.

jrlii 7 years, 4 months ago

As I understand it, in Cuba there is only domestic partnership: The government (being communist and atheist) does not take cognizance of marriage. If a married couple wants to have the state acknowledge their marriage as a business arrangement, couples have to file partnership papers.

hilary 7 years, 4 months ago

I love Lawrence. All positive answers on OTS.

Kelly Powell 7 years, 4 months ago

enough of the crazy, monotheistic dessert religion drivel.....will the cities insurence company allow domestic partners on their workers' policy? If they cannot even accomplish this, then it is just balloon juice. i want to hear more of what they are actually offering domestic partners...other then their 'support".

Deb Stavin 7 years, 4 months ago

Baille, if folks really start living according to the bible, those of left alive will finally be able to find parking places downtown!

Baille 7 years, 4 months ago

Sure. It's a good start to ending discrimination against a whole class of people. Discrimination which is based on immutable and inherent differences.

Of course, maybe 3of5 is right, but then we need to start ramping about the municipalities capital crimes unit and making preparations for organizing and enforcing the exile of those who have slept with menstruating women:

"For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.

"And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

"And the man that lieth with his father's wife hath uncovered his father's nakedness: both of them shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

"And if a man lie with his daughter in law, both of them shall surely be put to death: they have wrought confusion; their blood shall be upon them.

"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

"And if a man take a wife and her mother, it is wickedness: they shall be burnt with fire, both he and they; that there be no wickedness among you.

"And if a man lie with a beast, he shall surely be put to death: and ye shall slay the beast.

"And if a woman approach unto any beast, and lie down thereto, thou shalt kill the woman, and the beast: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

"And if a man shall take his sister, his father's daughter, or his mother's daughter, and see her nakedness, and she see his nakedness; it is a wicked thing; and they shall be cut off in the sight of their people: he hath uncovered his sister's nakedness; he shall bear his iniquity.

"And if a man shall lie with a woman having her sickness, and shall uncover her nakedness; he hath discovered her fountain, and she hath uncovered the fountain of her blood: and both of them shall be cut off from among their people.

"And thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy mother's sister, nor of thy father's sister: for he uncovereth his near kin: they shall bear their iniquity.

"And if a man shall lie with his uncle's wife, he hath uncovered his uncle's nakedness: they shall bear their sin; they shall die childless.

"And if a man shall take his brother's wife, it is an unclean thing: he hath uncovered his brother's nakedness; they shall be childless."

KS 7 years, 4 months ago

I don't think they should stop with this. Go for a mother/daughter or father/son domestic relationship! That should draw some fire! You know, we have some pretty dumb people out there. If you could legislate stupidity, half of this town would be locked up. Now it is for you to decide which half. Have a nice day.

jonas 7 years, 4 months ago

. . . still, though, this is a rather pointless proposal, that accomplishes very little. Even it's proponents agree it's largely symbolic.

Of course, when the world @#$%s on you for being different from the super-majority on a regular basis, I suppose even symbolic progress counts for something.

jonas 7 years, 4 months ago

3of5: "The world today tries to make everything gray, not black and white"

Wow, how horribly. . . sensible of it.

"Well folks, what is right is right and what is wrong is wrong. This type of relationship is "WRONG"."

Glad you think so. So don't have one. Now, if you can find an objective way to define right, wrong, and how this fits into that schema then we can talk about how OTHER people should go about living their lives.

trinity 7 years, 4 months ago

would city support equal sanctioning for full rights etc? maybe i better read the article, hah...

i shall return.

number3of5 7 years, 4 months ago

What good is a domestic partner registry? What good will it do to make them feel equal in the eyes of the legal system? In the eyes of the Lord this type of partnership is wrong. The world today tries to make everything gray, not black and white. Well folks, what is right is right and what is wrong is wrong. This type of relationship is "WRONG".

jonas 7 years, 4 months ago

What does she think about it? It's hard to believe a cat would want to spend it's life with you.

paladin 7 years, 4 months ago

I have a domestic partner, so I know what I'm talking about. She is always there for me. Always underfoot, sometimes tripping me and allowing me to fall and hit my head on hard objects, like coffee tables. But, she's a darn good kitty and anything I have deserves to be hers, when I'm called to that big rendezvous in the sky. Don't know what I'd do without her. What's mine is surely hers.