Previous   Next

Do you make any holiday crafts?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 18, 2006

Browse the archives

“We make cookie wreaths out of corn flakes, butter, green food coloring and lots of marshmallows, and then we put three red-hots on each of them for decoration.”

“No. We’ve made ornaments with our kids when they were younger, but nothing recently.”

“My roommates and I made and decorated sugar cookies, but they were just for us.”

“Yes. I make Christmas cards for people, and I always try to be creative when I wrap their gifts. This year I’m making lots of little paper boxes to put random gifts in so I won’t know who is getting what. I also draw pictures to give people as presents.”

Comments

H_Lecter 8 years ago

You mean like pirate flags...made out of real pirates or... wind chimes made out of bleached clavicles and a femur?

trinity 8 years ago

roflmao...i just can't think of a thing! love the answers so far, cannot wait to read on!

oh one thing though-somebody please tell me what a "mythologist" is??? if ya make alot of $$ and get kpers-i want to apply!

sgtwolverine 8 years ago

trinity, I think a mythologist is someone who works for a newspaper.

Oops, did I say that?

trinity 8 years ago

lol yes you did, sgt! and i am now enlightened, i can see that!

acg 8 years ago

No crafts, but I did just spend two days making two dozen different types of holiday candy. I'm so sick of looking at sugar and chocolate, I could seriously hurl.

sgtwolverine 8 years ago

Maybe they should ask everyone the "What do you spend most of your day doing?" question and then put that after their names.

Laura Watkins 8 years ago

actually, a mythologist is someone who still owes her roommates $1000 in unpaid utility bills.

still a little bitter....

Linda Aikins 8 years ago

I am very artistic - I can draw a blank!

sgtwolverine 8 years ago

Hey, Gootsie, we should team up: I can draw stares.

Grundoon Luna 8 years ago

I was a bartender for a long time so I can drought beer!!

I am creative, too. I am one bakin'/cookin' mo-fo and every woman in my family owns and enjoys at least one piece of jewelry I have made.

ms_canada 8 years ago

Dec. 18 News Item It seems that so many people hate fruitcake that a few ladies here are organizing The Society for the Preservation of Fruit/Christmas Cake. 'Tis the truth. Just heard via radio whilst eating my bagel/cream cheese breaky. Lawrencians beware!!!! The fever could head your way.

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

I can draw a bath.

Crafts...I made omelets w/ green and red peppers for breakfast. Does that count?

ms_canada 8 years ago

Oh yes, the question. I made some sweet little angels out of lace paper doilies with styro heads. I put them on the tree. Also made some double cornucopia from the doilies and filled them with gold wrapped chocolate balls.

number3of5 8 years ago

I always make crafts for Christmas. This does not include baking cookies or muffins or cakes. This does not include making hard candy or chocolates. Both of these are cooking skills, not crafts in my opinion. I crochet gifts, such as dog sweaters, afghans, hats, mittens and rugs. I carve pipes and decorate them. I make wooden plaques and hat racks. I make dolls, teddy bears, and other stuffed animals. I make checkerboards and checkers, tic-tac-toe boards and various other items from plastic mesh canvas. There are many other things I do also, but they are too numerous to mention. If I did not do all of the crafts that I do, my family would not receive any Christmas presents from me. My entire Christmas budget is less than $100. This has to spread over 31 people. I sure couldn't buy much for $3, but I can make something from materials around my house and a few items bought for embellishment.

trinity 8 years ago

only if ya make 'em for me sometime, ss! :)

trinity 8 years ago

have mercy i'm windy today...

3o'5, i bow to your craftiness! but i beg to differ-i am of the opinion that my handmade and decorated cookies, candies and whatnot are indeed craftworks and not merely an exhibition of my cooking skill.

to each their own i reckon, you say potaTOE and i say potaTOH. ;) merry Christmas, happy holidays, whatever fits.

jonas 8 years ago

I can draw dead people, but only I can see them.

Not really a holiday craft, but I did make a really good fandango-type paper-bag puppet of my Chinese instructor who made us do skits on the last day of class, so we could use his identity as part of our skit. It was well received.

jonas 8 years ago

Oh, yeah, and since it's monday (err... right?) and no one should ever be productive on monday, here's a great little flash game I discovered through Fark yesterday. Have fun, then use it to teach your kids to type!

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

trinity, I have a few eggs left. How about a virtual omelet? I'll even add more delicious things to yours. Get your plate ready...

Here's the skinny on "craft" cooking: If it is decorated in any way...it is a craft. gingerbread house=craft Drop cookies=not a craft decorated sugar cookies=craft throw sprinkles on it=craft dunk in milk=not a craft dunk and not drip=a true art form

trinity 8 years ago

lol, ss!

here's my virtually empty plate ( )

here's wishin' for a festive holiday themed omelete on it! :p

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

jonas, that was a blast...pun intended my daughter is now going to give it a shot...har!

Jackalope 8 years ago

I draw conclusions, but when I draw neigh I try not to draw fire........

jonas 8 years ago

Draw neigh? Isn't that the sound horses make? Did you mean nigh? What's going on?

Jackalope 8 years ago

Yep, Draw Nigh. Just had an extra "e" setting around that was apparently going to spoil if it was not used.

Linda Aikins 8 years ago

we ARE so creative here! And sister, I do believe you probably can!!!

I actually used to make lots of Christmas things but an ex-spousal unit didn't like crafts and patchwork and calico things, so I stopped. It's time to start up again!

Where are my scissors???

jonas 8 years ago

By the way, does anyone have any good books they could recommend? I'm looking for a book to get my mom, who just turned 50, likes adult fiction, but likes the Harry Potter books, if that gives an idea on her personality. I get the impression there are folks on here who are close to the same demographic. Any help would be appreciated.

. . . yes, I know I'm late to the chase. figured mom would rather have me get good grades than get her present there on time.

trinity 8 years ago

hah, gootsie-i'll give ya some scissors if ya promise to not run with 'em! :)

justathought 8 years ago

The book that's out that I'm wanting is the new Thomas Harris book Hannibal rising.

ms_canada 8 years ago

In my nursing years, I used to draw blood for testing. I don't suppose I have lost that talent.

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

jonas, if mom has not read Diana Gabaldon's "Highlander Series"...she simply must! She will become a Gabaldon junkie like the rest of us. She might even do strange things like gather all of her female friends together and make a "girls only" roadtrip to a book signing or something.

I'm sure there are a few on the OTS that could back me up on this one!

My absolute favorite of all time book is "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet. Can't go wrong there! It is not part of a series so you can get by w/ just the one book. And since it is 1000 pages, it will last a while, too.

ms_canada 8 years ago

jonas - re books for mom. Here is a suggestion that would keep mom reading for a whole year. It is the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. There are six books. you could get the first one Outlander for Christmas then another for Mother's Day and another for her birthday. Ask sunflower what she thinks. She even went all the way to Denver to get the last book signed by the author. That does say something about recommendation, does it not.

Genome 8 years ago

mythologist? who cares? I cannot get past the ginger girl, Ruth!! She appears to be a Christmas ornament

ms_canada 8 years ago

Oh, oh, sue got in before me, but I do think we are talking about the same books. Right , Sue?

Linda Aikins 8 years ago

hahaha Ms Canada and Sue. I've read one of her books and just loved it. I should start another.

And the running with scissors - Weird Al. True humor.

Or is it Weird M?

Thanks. Gootsie

ms_canada 8 years ago

gootsie - you have read one of Diana Gabaldon's books??? Was it the Outlander series??, if so, how can you just have read one, unless of course it was just last week. I read the whole series over the second time. I finished book six and within a minute picked up book one and started all over again. I kid you not. I just loved these characters. Claire and Jamie, what a love story. But not just that. What a lesson in history spooned out in tasteful bites! So palatable. jonas, you must start you mom on this adventure.

juscin3 8 years ago

LOL@ the comments today. You guys and gals are a hoot!

trinity 8 years ago

ok i've been searching for something to read, now i believe i got it-i must get my hands on a gabaldon book! any suggestions of one to start with?

and hey-next road trip-count me IN! i'd even wear a black suit&shades! ;) with stiletto heels of course...

westernksgirl 8 years ago

sunflower sue, Pillars of the Earth is my ABSOLUTE favorite book ever! I lent it to my sis, and . .must be her favorite book, as she hasn't given it back and it's been over 10 years!

Kontum1972 8 years ago

way to go Ruth...!

3 red hots?

u make 4 red hots..Ruthie.....ps..my book is over due...!

punish me...!

Ho!...Ho!...Ho!

Mr.C

trinity 8 years ago

oh wow, these books are smutty too??

AWESOME! i'm makin' tracks to my library ASAP! :)

I_Bejewel 8 years ago

I usually know where to "draw the line"....which is why I no longer attempt to make crafts. Now I just collect the ones the kids make. My newest ambition is to make a really good YouTube video. I'll supply the link if that ever happens.

Genome 8 years ago

Seriously, Kontum1972? I guess if you are into Neanderthalic genes...BLAH. that's super gross.

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

Ms_C, My bad! Yes, "Outlander" is what I meant!!!

Linda Aikins 8 years ago

It's been probably 15 or 20 years ago. She traveled back in time to the days of swords and damsels. I don't remember the name though. I haven't read for so long because my eyes would get tired very quickly and I'd lose interest. I now have bitten the bullet and gotten glasses so I will try again.

swamp_rat 8 years ago

jonas, I recommend the Diana Gabldon series as well. They are not however "Time Travel Smutty Romance." They are historical fiction with just the right amount of good stuff mixed in. I also am a huge Ken Follet fan. "Pillars of the Earth" and "A Dangerous Fortune" are two of my favs! (Not his normal genre) If you do go with Diana, start at the beginning with "Outlander." Now if you want good old smut... go with Karen Moning and her "Highlander" series! Happy choosing:)

ms_canada 8 years ago

R_I - I would not call a description of wedding night passion smut, just titilating. Tender and titilating. Thoughts of craft flashed though my mind this am and I wondered if constructing an English Trifle could be considered a craft and decided, yes indeed. So began this am with the pound cake that is so essential to a true English Trifle. But, alas, in reading the recipe, I erred. There was a mention of sherry, so I purchased a nice bottle of Harvey's Bristol Cream. Well, I guess I did not read the recipe correctly because as I was beating the butter, sugar, almond extract, lemon zest and vanilla, I merrily sipped away at the sherry. I really did believe that was the intention of the recipe. Well, I popped the cake in the oven and began cleaning up the cupboard and there were the 3 eggs I had laid out. Upon a re read of the recipe I discovered that the sherry was meant to be sprinkled over the cake along with the custard when constructing the whole thing. So all you young cooks, take that as a lesson, read your recipe carefully. I should have been upset, but strangely enough, I was too happy to be very upset. :o)

Linda Aikins 8 years ago

Ms_C, sounds like you better chase that Trifle with two Tylenol Tarts!

trinity 8 years ago

dayyyum, i have GOT to get myself to a bookstore soon!

swamp_rat 8 years ago

R_I

Go curl up with your "Song of Solomon" ya thumper:)

trinity 8 years ago

swamp, in the words of that questionable starlet re song of solomon-"that's hot". ;)

swamp_rat 8 years ago

T O B

historical fiction, a story that blends actual historical facts or events with fiction. Hope this helps:)

swamp_rat 8 years ago

R_I

I aver that it is not smut. I agree with ms_c, (tender and titilating). There is a mind numbingly, pulse racingly huge diff. Is it getting hot in here?

ms_canada 8 years ago

pywacket - It sounds as if your home would be a delightful place to visit and sip a bit of sherry followed, of course, by a couple of Tylonol Tarts. Do you make any of those or do we have to repair to Gootsie's for those? And R_I - must be a long time since you read Outlander or you would remember that Claire married Jamie to save her life. :o). She also probably felt that she would never be returning to husband #!, what was his name? Was it Frank, Sue? She was NOT a trollop!!!

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

Trinity, you're in on the next road trip.:)

westernksgirl, my sis loaned me her copy. Don't know if I ever gave it back. Hmmm....

RI, technically, she didn't have 1 hubby and a lover...she had two hubbies. Get it straight. BTW, your ceilings are beige?

ms_canada 8 years ago

Whereas Jamie definitely was not boring, eh?

jonas 8 years ago

Thanks for the recs, et all. Think I might give it a shot and just send mom the book. Even if she doesn't like it particularly, it'll make us even from the time she sent me the Tales of Otori series that I had never heard of.

B^)>

Linda Aikins 8 years ago

Just come on by! Tylenol Tarts for everybody!

Crafty, we are.

katiecraft 8 years ago

We get some good ideas from Craftbits.com and Craftster.org.

Ceallach 8 years ago

Hey, y'all. Just a short note to let you know that my daughter's surgery went well. She will be there for another day or so. No surprises but the surgeon was pleased with the outcome. The g'baby and I are back in Lawrence, very tired, but very thankful that we've successfully completed another step in her mother's recovery.

Thank you for the thoughts and prayers, they are much appreciated.

Manana

Ceal

Linda Aikins 8 years ago

Nice news, Ceal. We have thought of you lots. Glad to hear and thanks for the update!

Goots

beatrice 8 years ago

Great news Ceal. You and yours remain in my thoughts. Bea

trinity 8 years ago

wunnerful ceal, thanks for telling us! :)

happy holidays!

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

Still praying for you all, Ceal. Get some sleep.

I found out my hubby is "craftier" than I thought. I left him here tonight w/ my oldest and my neighbor's 3 devil spawn. When I arrived home, I was greeted with warm chocolate chip cookies! (I should leave him in charge of kids more often!!!)