Previous   Next

Do you keep track of your blood pressure?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 12, 2006

Browse the archives

“No, because I have very low blood pressure. So I don’t have to monitor it, but my husband does.”

“No. I don’t need to. I feel good, I’m healthy and I do a lot of yoga. I’d be lost without my yoga.”

“Yeah, pretty well. I use the machine at Dillons about once a month.”

“My doctor checks it whenever I have an appointment, which is pretty often because I have access to student health services at Watkins.”

Comments

sgtwolverine 8 years, 8 months ago

Definitely not.

Gootsie, the idea of tracking my blood pressure makes my blood pressure go through the roof.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 8 months ago

yes. But tell me, what makes your blood pressure go through the roof (so to speak)?

Me? When I see mistreatment of boll weevils. Just makes me go ballistic.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 8 months ago

When I read Robin's answer, I figured she was saying that she doesn't have to monitor her blood pressure, but her husband monitors her blood pressure. I know I'm wrong, but her answer is much more fun when read that way.

budwhysir 8 years, 8 months ago

All day kindergarten costs 1 mill per year. This has an effect on your bp

trinity 8 years, 8 months ago

you peeps are awesome, this is gonna be a great ots today! ;)

that big ol' statue that points skyward, on the KU campus, sometimes gets my bp throbbing...

but the only time i actually check it would probably be after those lil' white flashes of light swim around my head&i pass out afterward.

BOLL WEEVIL ABUSE SHOULD BE A HIGH LEVEL FELONY!

beatrice 8 years, 8 months ago

Blood pressure -- sure, each time I go to the doctor. All is good.

Now to the serious matter -- one of the local community colleges here in AZ is looking to update its mascot design, and they allow outsiders to vote! So now is your chance to vote on the new design for Scottsdale Communitie's "Artie the Artichoke." That is correct, the school's mascot is an artichoke -- or, as opposing schools call them, the "chokes." Anyway, thought some of you might like to see this odd slice of Americana -- http://www.scottsdalecc.edu/irsurveys/voteforartie/index.htm

SpeedRacer 8 years, 8 months ago

I only have my bp checked during my annual physical, and it is always "low normal". But, my cholesteral was up once and I have been on cholesteral med ever since. As a George Burns once said, I wake up in the morning and read the obits. If my name isn't there, I go back to bed.

trinity 8 years, 8 months ago

oh dear, bea! i rather like the little "scholarly" artie, or choke if you will.

at least the mascot isn't a kumquat.

Ceallach 8 years, 8 months ago

Thankfully my blood pressure is always a little low. When it gets up to 120/80 I know it's time to "simmer on down."

sarge: does this mean we will not be pushing for free BP exams once you are elected? Guess I'll have to come up with another way to court the AARP vote :)

Ceallach 8 years, 8 months ago

Marion, my late husband quit smoking as soon as he was put on the heart transplant list at the Midwest Organ Bank (not joking)..you DO need to work on that!

All y'all, I will be checking the board when I can but may not be posting regularly for a while. One of my children has a serious medical condition that will need all of our attention for some time to come. The process will begin Wednesday morning, prayers will be greatly appreciated.

But behave yourselves, don't make me get online at the hospital and set the board straight :)

Ceal

trinity 8 years, 8 months ago

oh hey ceal, good thoughts&prayers going with you&yours!

and i promise-we'll all try to behave! :)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 8 months ago

My bp runs to the low side. Sometimes the "too low" side. What's with that? Yes, Robin is in lala land if she thinks low bp is not a problem: Stand up too fast...swoon. Get out of the shower/hot tub too fast...swoon. Can't give more than 1 vile of blood...puke and pass out. I once threw a ligament off of a hip bone and had to get a shot of some great stuff in the ER. I spent the next 1/2 day waiting for my bp to rise enough to actually stand. They wouldn't let me leave the hosp (and I couldn't have anyway as my bp dropped to some rediculous number like 40 over 30 or something...but I was drugged, what did I care?) Ironic since I come from a long line of high bpers. Gootsie, speaking from experience, pregnancy makes my bp go up...way up! But that boll weevil abuse is enough to make me APOPLECTIC!!!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 8 months ago

Ceal, you know I've got your back! Hugs and prayers!

RonBurgandy 8 years, 8 months ago

I haven't had a problem yet with blood pressure so, of course, it is not on my mind.

stevep 8 years, 8 months ago

Donna makes my blood pressure go through the roof!

jonas 8 years, 8 months ago

sgt: haha! Great mental image now, of this old dude creeping up behind her with a pressure cuff, trying to be quiet and escape her notice.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 8 months ago

I have the low stuff too! Usually 90 over 68. I've had to get myself mad in order to donate blood because it is too low! Ex-husbands do have some use! ;)

Ceal, we will be thinking of you. Please keep us updated if you can.

And we will miss your level head, so be prepared to log on and straighten some of these folks out.

Ceallach 8 years, 8 months ago

My thanks to all of you. My withdrawal will be painful....I seem to be addicted to y'all :)

For the record, I do not recall ever abusing a boll weevil. I have humanely euthanized some by emptying their home, a cornbread mix box, into the trash. What the city did with them I do not know.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 8 months ago

No, no free BP exams from my administration. But maybe free milk and cookies every once in a while. (I will offer soy milk for the lactose-intolerant among us.)

beatrice 8 years, 8 months ago

Ceal, my thoughts will be with you. Bea

jonas 8 years, 8 months ago

Sorry, Ceal, but I have a great difficulty behaving, or doing what I'm told.

B^)>

ms_canada 8 years, 8 months ago

Plenty of prayers and good wishes from the frozen north to you and yours ceallach. and yes, I monitor my BP as it tends to be high even though I am greatly medicated. Can't be too careful.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 8 months ago

low bp can also be a pre cursor to high bp I know weird can also be prelude to diabetes. bp is good to watch no matter yor health.

ohjayhawk 8 years, 8 months ago

Ceal - You and yours have my prayers and well wishes as well.

As for the question, I probably don't check it as often as I should. Mine is typically high normal, and I come from a history of high bp.

craigers 8 years, 8 months ago

Ceal, you bet I will be praying for you and your little one.

As for the question, I try to check it at Target or whenever I am around one of those machines. It is fun, but I hear they aren't very accurate. I also don't get how I can be a little pre-hypertension I think and then have a pulse rate of 52 after walking around Target for awhile. Oh well.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 8 months ago

RI, not going to happen. I wouldn't be opposed to an occassional watching...but I'm not, not, NOT gonna do it full time. No, No No nonononononononoooooooooo!!!! Now quit bugging me...my bp is on the rise.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 8 months ago

What a lovely way of saying how much she needs you.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 8 months ago

NOT pregnant! Not having a baby! Not watching anyone else's baby! Can't! Won't! Don't wanna!

Gootsie, that song always triggers my gag reflex.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 8 months ago

Yep - 1520 KOMA AM. Other than that, country music. I knew the top 40 songs pretty well. Nothing else!

Sue, I can't get the da$% song out of my mind. Please - give me another song (and not the Theme from the Beverly Hillbillies please).

sunflower_sue 8 years, 8 months ago

Goots, this always works for my brother: "I wake in the morning and I step outside, and I take a deep breath and I get real high and I say: 'What's going on?'..." He abhors that song and it's just annoying enough to get stuck in the brain folds. Good luck!