Previous   Next

Do you donate to Toys for Tots or another gift-giving organization?

Asked at Checkers, 2300 La. on December 10, 2006

Browse the archives

“I haven’t done the toys this year. Sometimes we adopt a family, but this year I’ve donated to the Salvation Army, Dillons to provide food for families and the senior citizen canned-food box here at Checkers.”

“Occasionally. Sometimes through Toys for Tots and sometimes with the little angels, you pull down off the tree with the children’s list on it.”

“Yes, I do. This will be the fourth year here and six years that I lived in Texas.”

“I haven’t in the past, but I would consider it. I usually just donate to the Salvation Army.”

Comments

Linda Aikins 8 years ago

I adopted three children from Haskell. It was so much fun to buy them things.

canyon_wren 8 years ago

Where I live, the local bookstore has Books for Tots, which provides books for children in Headstart and other similar programs. I kind of get carried away, because I love children's books so (especially some of the old favorites like the Little Bear and Frances books) so have already contributed 9 books to that program this season.

We also have an angel tree at our supermarket to provde present for kids at Christmas time, and it gets stripped of its "offerings" pretty rapidly. I usually pick out a boy and a girl, and I like, especially, to find ones that the parent or parents have indicated would like either books or school supplies, since those are more fun to buy for kids. Mostly they just want clothing, and I can understand that, but it's fun to buy neat things, too. We usually give 3 gifts per child--that is the maximum allowed, so that some children in a family won't get a lot more than another.

Aileen Dingus 8 years ago

We do "Guest at the Table" around this time of year. Putting $$ in the box and it goes to help feed the hungry.

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

Done TFT a couple of times, long ago. Adopted several families over the years...ended up buying them way more than I should have because my kids really get into it and won't stick to the money limit...that's OK, it was fun and it really made my kids feel good (and, no doubt, the kids we were buying for as well). Always donate to the Salvation Army...that's a given. (My kids won't let me pass the bell ringer w/out contributing so I always keep a supply of money just for that redily accessible.) I've donated to them on-line before but that wasn't as satisfying somehow.

ive_got_my_ascot_n_my_dickie 8 years ago

Several years ago, my employer lined-up a needy family for our company to "adopt" for the holiday. We were excited about bringing them plenty of cheer. We bought plenty of new clothes for the family and some very nice toys for the kids; including a brand new X-Box and five games. We went to the house to deliver the gifts and found three adults sitting at the kitchen table drinking beer at 11am. They didn't seem very enthusiastic about our gifts and simply said, "You can put those in the living room." As we left, they didn't even say thank you. That was the last time I donated time and gifts for the "needy." I look after my own now.

SpeedRacer 8 years ago

When I worked, we always adopted a family through Don Bosco. But I have also donated toys to Toys for Tots for many years. It is not hard to by an extra gift at a store and drop it in the box on the way out.

redhead_lovers_girl 8 years ago

We picked two angels from our angel tree at church - the gifts were for children who have a parent in prison. It was fun to shop for the gifts, and it felt good to know that these kids would have a special gift from the parent that was "away".

BJ 8 years ago

I give during the year. What does christmas have to do with giving? Do you really need an excuse or an occasion to give?

Linda Aikins 8 years ago

BJ, it doesn't matter as long as you give sometime, does it?

mom_of_three 8 years ago

Last year at Christmas, we adopted a family and my kids loved doing it. We want to do it again this year. I also donate to the Salvation Army buckets ($1's) add up quickly. During the year, the schools usually donate to various organizations, so our family donates through the year.

BJ 8 years ago

Gootsie: ABSOLUTELY! I just get very frustrated with the christmas spirit hype. I wish folks would give to others during the other 11 months. It doesn't need to be a lot; a little bit goes a long way if everyone pitches in. Just make sure your money and/or time goes to the folks that need it, and not to some moochers or hang-arounds at LCS.

kg52 8 years ago

My boys are all grown up now but one year when they were young teenagers we adopted an older lady - we had adopted small families before. All this lady asked for was a sweater to wear to church and some soup. We bought her a warm robe, the sweater, a warm throw, a fruit basket and a large supply of non-perishable food (soup, vegetables, fruit, cereals, etc.) and a few other things. She was so grateful and my boys have never forgotten the look on her face that day. We have talked about it at holiday gatherings for years.