Previous   Next

How much decorating do you do for the holidays?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on December 9, 2006

Browse the archives

“We go all out. We cut down a tree, pull out all of our decorations and figurines, put things in the windows and get out our holiday music. But we don’t dress up the dogs; I’m against that. My husband will be back from Iraq, so this year should be extra cheery.”

“Very little. I have just never gotten into it. I know that sounds dull, but that’s the way it is.”

“Not as much as I used to. We still put up two full-size trees and decorate each room. The kids all have little trees in their room that they decorate. It used to be a little overkill, but we’ve scaled back.”

“A lot. It’s a lot of decorating on the inside - not so much on the outside.”

Comments

GreenEyedBlues 7 years, 8 months ago

Not much. I just have a stupid artificial tree, however, I suggest a live tree, one whose lifespan dictates when it's time to put away the decorations. This sense of timing escapes some people, so here's a good rule of thumb:

Brown needles = pack up the ornaments.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 8 months ago

I am going to attempt raising a tree inside so that we can use the same tree for a few years in the future. Hopefully it will help filter the inside air.

The inside of the house gets a lot of attention. Yep it's a fun time of year for most...too bad it cannot be for all.

sublime 7 years, 8 months ago

The kids and I do the tree. Its a fiber optic tree.My wife likes to decorate for EVERY holiday.Bless her heart.

alm77 7 years, 8 months ago

"Not as much as I used to. We still put up two full-size trees and decorate each room. The kids all have little trees in their room that they decorate. It used to be a little overkill, but we've scaled back."

WHA??? If that's scaled back I wonder what she used to do?!?!

ohjayhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

Being the first year in our new home, my wife and I decorated quite extensively this year (we had rented before). The inside is decorated quite well, and we have some lights and a Moravian star outside.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 8 months ago

Quite a bit. Inside and out. It is very exciting for Tudedino though he is disapointed that neither Mr. Attitude nor myself cared to get on the roof to put up light this year and only decorated the facade of the house. I guess we couldn't get over our acraphobia this year.

Aileen Dingus 7 years, 8 months ago

Not too much. We'd moved so often in the past that Christmas decorations were just seen as excess weight and boxes to lug.

I did buy some outdoor lights this year though. :) I love them, they make my little grass shack look like a gingerbread house.

I'd like a live tree in a pot, but we have a small artificial. I just can't justify cutting down a perfectly good tree so it can sit dead in my living room for 2 weeks. (used to live in the desert, so trees were VERY SCARCE and it just seemed wrong)

H_Lecter 7 years, 8 months ago

i_p

a couple of red lights in the eyes would be nice too!

ms_canada 7 years, 8 months ago

sublime - my sister sounds a lot like your wife. she decorates beyond belief for every holiday. Hallowe'en, Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas, of course. My decorating depends on what we are doing for Christmas. Last year I did none at all as we went south to my daughters. This year I will put coloured lites on the mugho pine in front. Lites along the roof and lots of stuff in the house. A large tree in the living room, I have a 12 ft. ceiling. I do it in white and gold and this year I think I will add some deep red to it. I decorate the platform in my church also. Did it up for last Sunday. A 7ft. tree and swags and lots of candles on pillars.

ms_canada 7 years, 8 months ago

I_P - I agree, red glowing eyes would be great. Let us know if you give is a try.

yellowhouse 7 years, 8 months ago

I like to look at others decorations more than doing them myself

bearded_gnome 7 years, 8 months ago

sounds very pretty MSC.

we ain't got room for a tree this year. have really enjoyed real trees in years past. we love the real tree scent in the house.

this year: large nativity scene figures, nice!

just can't get the tinsel to stay on my beard, though.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 8 months ago

... "

Where the air is so pure, the zephyrs so free The breezes so balmy and light That I would not exchange my home on the range For all of the cities so bright

Oh, I love those wild flow'rs in this dear land of ours The curlew, I love to hear scream And I love the white rocks and the antelope flocks That graze on the mountaintops green

Home, home on the range Where the deer and the antelope play Where seldom is heard a discouraging word And the skies are not cloudy all day "

ms_canada 7 years, 8 months ago

bearded gnome - with this I am definitely going to give my age away, but when I was a little kid that song was all we heard and stupid me, I used to think that dicouraging word was a swear word. I was very shy and quiet when I was a kid and I never spoke. I never asked anyone what it meant. Never found out for ages that it was not a swear word.

RainDay 7 years, 8 months ago

I use to think that "seldom" was the discouraging word when I was a kid.

matahari 7 years, 8 months ago

'dress tha doggies?" that's just plain sick............and kinky

bearded_gnome 7 years, 8 months ago

here are two non-PC verses (followed by one I like): "

Oh, give me a land where the bright diamond sand Flows leisurely down the stream; Where the graceful white swan goes gliding along Like a maid in a heavenly dream.

Home, home on the range, Where the deer and the antelope play, Where seldom is heard a discouraging word, And the skies are not cloudy all day.

The red man was pressed from this part of the West, He's likly no more to return To the banks of Red River where seldom if ever Their flickering campfires burn.

How often at night when the heavens are bright With the light of the glittering stars, Have I stood here amazed and asked as I gazed If their glory exceeds that of ours.

"

bearded_gnome 7 years, 8 months ago

Rainday: " I use to think that "seldom" was the discouraging word when I was a kid. "

funny how we get those stuck in our heads when little.

MSC, so how old were you when you learned that "discouraging" was not a bad word? prior to that, did you think it had a meaning?

ms_canada 7 years, 8 months ago

I_P - it is late, 11:30 just signing off and so glad you got that towel over the skull. I can imagine how scary that was. Who the heck made that suggestion anyway. Dumb idea. butt, I will take that laugh to bed now. Night all. Gnome, sleep tight and don't dream of any goat skulls with glaring red eyes. You neither I_P. I hope I don't.

ms_canada 7 years, 8 months ago

Oh yes, and to answer the question of tomorrow tommorwo, toomorow, oh heck I must be tired can't spell it. The question about reading. I am now reading Druids by Peter Beresford Ellis who also writes fiction stories about Fidelma, a religieuse, (a nun), in Ireland back in the 1300's. She solves crimes and mysteries. good stories. I love them. Now wouldn't the joke be on me if they did not ask that question. Oh well..................