Previous   Next

Are you interested in the findings of the Iraq Study Group?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 7, 2006

Browse the archives

“Yes, because Bush has been talking about how he will use the results to change his policy. So it will be interesting to see what he has to say about it and if any changes will actually be made.”

“Yes, I am interested. I like the fact that the study was done by a diverse group.”

“Of course. We need to get out of Iraq. The president needs to wake up and realize that the world is a lot more complex than he thinks. He is the biggest disaster in U.S. foreign policy.”

“Yes, because its results may affect the entire world.”

Related stories

Comments

Richard Heckler 8 years, 4 months ago

Not really. Bush still seems to want to go his own way. Bring our soldiers home. We need to get them totally out of the mideast because that is what is driving the violence.

The president lied to the world James Baker III says Iraq will never a shining beacon of democracy *We invaded a country that did not invade us and had no capability to do so

http://www.icasualties.org/oif/ http://nationalpriorities.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=182 http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=13538 http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=7989 *http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=5529

(Condi Rice has a Chevron oil tanker with her name on it)

sgtwolverine 8 years, 4 months ago

Not too much. It'll spawn a lot of political blahblah -- much like the first post today.

Also, Iraq Study Group sounds like something organized by a high school.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 4 months ago

Oh, and from yesterday:

Jonas: sure, we need a press secretary. Does that mean you'd keep my shirts pressed, too, so I wouldn't go out looking wrinkled?

Gootsie: Your official title can be Secretary of Scandal-Inducing Apparel.

ohjayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm a bit interested. However, I'm worried that the two sides of the issue are so far apart that it will be tough to come to a workable solution.

sgt - I do hope you'll consider implementing a Department (Ministry) of Silly Walks!

sgtwolverine 8 years, 4 months ago

By the way, getting past the current political messes, I would like to note that today is December 7.

trinity 8 years, 4 months ago

yup it is, o presidente; i've sent out a heartfelt "Thank You" to ALL Veterans past&present on another thread-but i don't mind repeating myself! :) Thank You.

now...on to this most fascinating (not) subject-i'm with tob, harley, and sarge.

beatrice 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm more interested in how our President will respond to those findings. I'm particularly curious if he will take recommendation number 63: Invite the Dixie Chicks over to the White House for a holiday concert.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm so with Bea! Dodgeball at recess anyone?

Linda Aikins 8 years, 4 months ago

Secretary of the SIA. Ok! You've got your gal!

Linda Aikins 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm with Harley and Sgt and TOB and Trinity.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 4 months ago

Bea, that recommendation may occur after the Dixie Chicks become best friends with Toby Keith.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 4 months ago

ohjay: a Department of Silly Walks? I will go one step further: I will require every member of my administration to adopt his or her own silly walk! After all, I am all about walking silly.

jonas: I'd love to wear a mean shirt! Also, are you good with witty comebacks to absurd questions from bored reporters?

trinity 8 years, 4 months ago

heyyyyy i think jonas could fill that position (witty comebacks to absurd questions from bored reporters) with style! :)

dodgeball at recess??? oooooo it's collllld to be doin' that! i'd be the dumb kid that'd get smacked in the nose with the ball-and we all know how that HURTS in subzero temps! or maybe it's just me....

beatrice 8 years, 4 months ago

I want to be on the team with players who aren't yet adopting the silly-walk mandate.

Bone777 8 years, 4 months ago

When I read this question my expression was the very same as that of Jeff Bremer, lecturer, Lawrence from above.

Yes, I am extra, extra inquisitive about the report!!!!!

Bone777 8 years, 4 months ago

As the Dixie Chicks put it so well FGB, or was it FTK. Whatever, it works.

Teapot9 8 years, 4 months ago

I took two of Jeff Bremer's classes and he has become a lot more anti-Bush than before. Very good teacher and a good guy, but man he really didnt hide where he stands outside the classroom.

We need to stay the course.

Ceallach 8 years, 4 months ago

I am interested in the findings. I do have a few reservations about relying entirely on this groups report. Regardless of how bi-partisan the group may be, they cannot have information on every angle of the kaleidoscope known as Iraq. Other reports, given by those who are in Iraq and have been there longer, should also be considered.

Enough of that:)

......enter the people's hero ...........wearing a mean shirt as he walks the mean streets, the wolverine climbs the steps to the podium and takes the oath of office. The press will love it! But we mustn't forget trinity, everyone knows the VP makes most of the decisions:P

trinity 8 years, 4 months ago

heheeee, you got it ceal! ;)

now...i absolutely must go shopping for some chanel suits! i think perhaps i'll adopt the jackie o style!

Ceallach 8 years, 4 months ago

trin: I may still have some of those pearls for you, but I never really did the "hat" thing. Unless of course "our sue" would make me one of her special snow hat, that would be the only exception :)

ms_canada 8 years, 4 months ago

Interested, heck yes, but not holding my breath. My good man, yesterday, commented that GWB must be getting down on his knees each morning and each night, pleading that he (or someone) can find a face saving way out of the mess he has got himself into. He certainly does not want to go out in a hail of boos on crutches as the lamest duck president in history. Just wait and see, he will ignore all of the advice in the report.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 4 months ago

Interested? Yes, I guess it's interesting.

But considering that they're only suggestions, Bush is not under any obligation to comply with them, regardless of what they are.

I don't hold out much hope that the findings will make any real difference.

Ceallach 8 years, 4 months ago

We definitely need to find a safe way to move our troops out of Iraq. Staged withdrawals always create a more dangerous environment for the smaller numbers remaining after each phase. But let's face it. It's up to the Iraqi people to defend their own country and demand representation. If the insurgents are the only one's willing to fight, long term, guess who will end up in charge.

trinity 8 years, 4 months ago

i couldn't agree with you more, ceal...great post.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 4 months ago

ms_canada 8 years, 4 months ago

ceallach - you are so right. This is an impossible situation and the history of Iraq, if we would just pay attention to it, tells us much. It is a history of tribal warfare going back a long time. And we, the west, got caught up in it by not reading our history books. The Shia, Sunni and Kurd animosity will be a long, long time resolving, if ever. How can a foreign entity ever bring about peace between these people who have hated one another for so long? They don't want to get along. Each one wants to topple the others and control the country, just as Saddam and the Sunni minority did for so long by sheer brutality and threats.

Bone777 8 years, 4 months ago

ms_canada - totally right. The only people these guys hate more than each other is us. Add that to the new history books.

I could never figure out why we went to Iraq, when Bin Laden was in Afganistan.

While we were at it, we should have taken over Cuba. They have always been a potential problem and they are right in our back yard.

It just doesn't make any sense.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 4 months ago

cuba got some nice beaches maybe we should look into that now that castro is ill.

Ceallach 8 years, 4 months ago

ms_c: you have given a truly insightful summary of the discord rooted deeply within the Iraqi people (and their neighbors). I think it is difficult for most westerners to fathom the depth of their hatred for one another. There is no reason to believe that they will not hate until their dying days. Their prejudice toward one another is like any other prejudice, given to them with their mother's milk and reinforced daily until it becomes all they know.

ms_canada 8 years, 4 months ago

ceallach - I have been reading different papers online this am and am struck by reported remarks of Mr. Leon Pancetta that the most troubling thing to him is the widening division between the American people. The world and especially the Middle East does not need this. The west, not just the US, needs to stand united on this terrible crisis on our globe. Many wise men have said that this is not just an Iraqi disaster but that the entire Middle East is involved. Many wise men believe that there must be dialogue with the other countires, especially Syria and Iran. Mr. Bush must come off his throne and realize that Mahmoud Ahmadinijad could offer some assistance in influencing the Shia in Iraq. Ayatollah Al Sistani, the great Shia cleric has done what he can to smooth the ruffled feathers and calm the Shia in Iraq, but it has gotten away from him and they no longer listen to him. They will not stand for the slaughter inflicted upon them by the Sunni, foreign insurgents and are now fighting back. The suggestion of the Iraq Study Group to withdraw many troops but leave a lot imbedded with the Iraqi forces may work. If that policy were to be implemented. We can only hope.

jonas 8 years, 4 months ago

Sgt.: Oh yeah, I think I can handle questions from reporters without too much trouble, as long as I can frequently simply laugh derisively. Oh yeah, and as long as I can bring my staring-cat along for the uncomfortable questions.

God, I just love that picture!

Mkh 8 years, 4 months ago

Here is the report. I recommend everyone who is not busy at recess to read this thing. I'm not yet all the way though it, it is a very comprehensive report and offers what I consider to be the best possible solution I've heard yet. Not because its the end all be all solution, but it seems to be something that all most Americans will be able to agree on. It's not going to please the "pull out today" people or the "stay the course" broken records; but that is why we have to compromise.

jonas 8 years, 4 months ago

"Posted by mommaeffortx2 (anonymous) on December 7, 2006 at 10:34 a.m. (Suggest removal)

so how many of this group have spent time getting their butts shot at and have been living, seeing this war first hand on a day to day basis? None? one? well maybe they should go do it for a month and talk and see and live over there then come back with findings. I am not say yes to the war or no it just seems if you are going to do a study about something you should at least have a first hand knowledge of the war."

Couldn't it also be possible that having the on-the-front-lines-getting-shot-at-experience first hand experience could both limit your perspective on the war as a totality and perhaps bias you towards the reality of what's going on? On the front, you would only be able to see a small portion of the whole operation, and that might influence your viewpoint in a non-accurate way.

rhd99 8 years, 4 months ago

Yes, I am. By the way, Robert Gates was confirmed to be the next Defense Secretary. You know who did NOT vote for the man, among others SANTORUM! Rick Santorum & Donald Rumsfeld are just alike, they NEVER listen to reasoning. Knowing what I know of Bush, he won't take heed of this Iraq Study Group's advice. Well, that being the case, Bush just planned his own political funeral with NO HONORS!

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 4 months ago

well jonas it does go both ways does it not. But what I was trying to point out in my non awake mode was, what makes these people experts on the war, or for that matter what, does a study group of any kind, really bring to the table without the knowledge first hand maybe not by fighting but by observation at least. Yes have a little problem with study groups sometimes feel they just are not worth the time and energy of funding and listening to , not just this high up in the sceme of things.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 4 months ago

and not just from our soldiers views but from the iraq peole point of view also because this is an important view point. sorry for the unfinished thought.

Kontum1972 8 years, 4 months ago

BUSH looked like he was ready to cry yesterday in front of that panel.....from what i understand from reliable sources he did that behind close doors with Senator McCain..the man he smeared with that love child story.

Bush was pretty much told that if didnt drop his cowboy tactics that he would be impeached..that whole lot Bush, cheney aka (my daughters gay but the rest of you cannot be gay)... rummy, rice, ROVE the genius.....etc..should be brought up on charges as war crimminals... by the world court...found guilty and shot or hung.

BUSH was ready to cry..lol

Kontum1972 8 years, 4 months ago

the bush girls were running around the hotel in argentina in the nude drunk out of their minds.....how nice....wait till the videos hit the net

Kontum1972 8 years, 4 months ago

argentina..the have for nazi war criminals after the WW2

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 4 months ago

naked girls drunk girls and they kicked them out? could not have been a guys choice :)..:)

Bone777 8 years, 4 months ago

George Bush is a great scape-goat. The political support of the decision to go into Irag was over-whelming and bi-partisan.

The democrats are lucky that it was a republican in office, so they can point their fingers and say, "look what he did?".

This was a terrible decision (fault of Republicans and Democrats), and a terrible follow-up (fault can rest with the Republicans).

We are a country of reactionary 'Arm chair quarterbacks'. The only positive I can think of being President would be sitting in my Oval Office desk, trying not to hit the 'blue dress'.

rhd99 8 years, 4 months ago

Robert Gates, was he a member originally of this Iraq Study Group? If so, then his insights going into his new position in DOD will be extremely helpful, although, all the crying in the world will NOT deter the President from simply IGNORING Gates or Baker or Hamilton. Bush & the powerful get their way all the time. Well, look at what the cat dragged out of the bag NOW. The fruits of Bush's labor or laziness is being exposed. Take your political wallet, Karl Rove, & shove it!

beatrice 8 years, 4 months ago

Bone: "The political support of the decision to go into Irag was over-whelming and bi-partisan." I agree. But those in congress, and the American people they report to, were being fed a pack of lies by the Bush administration on which they based their decision. Please don't forget this very important fact.

Democrats, and all Americans, aren't lucky that the Republicans were in office. I truly believe that if the votes had been accurate in Florida and Gore had been named President we would have taken a different course of action by going after those who attacked us -- and only those who attacked us. (Of course, this is assuming Gore wouldn't have bothered with reports about Bin Laden planning attacks with airplanes as Bush had.) Also, unlike Bush, Saddam never threatened Gore's daddy.

If Bush had never become Pres, we would live in a land filled with candy and Klondike bars for everyone.

Bone777 8 years, 4 months ago

Bea - I would appreciate it if you would keep your opinions to yourself and quit shooting giant holes in my post!

sgtwolverine 8 years, 4 months ago

Heh. Bea, I'm fine with describing the actual errors of an actual president, but that's some pretty amazing speculation you posted concerning Gore. You might even be right ... except that you can't be right or wrong in that regard, because it's impossible to know. Gore had just as much potential to screw up the world, and we'll never know if he would have done so, or if he would have gotten it right.

This feels a little bit like saying, "Well, if he'd hit that field goal in the second quarter, we would have won the game."

ms_canada 8 years, 4 months ago

mkh - thanks for the link. Good reading. As I read numbers 74 to 79 a thought came to mind of an opinion that I have held for a long time, Know Thine Enemy.

beatrice 8 years, 4 months ago

sgt, that is why I made it clear that I was expressing my opinion with "I believe ..." and ending it with "land of candy and Klondike bars." The completely speculative nature of what I was saying -- outside of everyone in the Bush administration having their pants on fire -- was clear.

tob, I can let it go, but was responding to bone's statement that the Dems are lucky to have someone to blame. I disagree and don't feel "lucky" at all that Bush is in office. I truly wish the Dems didn't have such a luxury of blaming Bush and I do believe that Gore wouldn't -- hell, couldn't -- have screwed things up as badly as Bush. Again, my opinion.

Okay, I lied. I can't let 2000 go, and dislike everyone ever named Chad because of it. But that doesn't make my above statement any less valid.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 4 months ago

TOB, in the Southern/Grambling game not too long ago, the Southern coach took a field goal off the board near the end of the first half because a penalty gave him a first and goal on the one with ten seconds to go. However, he also had no timeouts. What did he run? Why, a quarterback sneak. Oops. It failed, and Southern got no points.

Amazingly, they still won the game.

ms_canada 8 years, 4 months ago

i_p - thanks for the link. When you read the timeline of those events way back in '98, knowing what we now know, it almost seems as if Saddam was playing games with the Western powers. If he had no WMD, why restrict access to the UNSCOM teams of inspectors? Makes one wonder.

ohjayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

sgt - I'm truly honored! I can't wait to see the members of your cabinet walking around like John Cleese!

beatrice 8 years, 4 months ago

With your use of flatulence, I thought something smelled a little fishy.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 4 months ago

Ceal, I can make you a terrific hat. hee hee
I stood out on the playground in my snowhat but nobody showed. :*( Too bad. I was really wanting to bounce some balls off of a few heads today. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

flatulance? On second thought, I'm glad nobody showed today.

Bone777 8 years, 4 months ago

sunflower_sue - I stand around with those very thoughts sometimes...

james bush 8 years, 4 months ago

No! Too pessimisstic about the whole thing..........I'll wait to see what FOX, ABC, CBS, NBC (in that order of credence/credibility) say that I should "understand" about things!..........NOT! I'll wait to hear what NPR,BBC, Aljazeera tell me what's true........I DON'T think so! Guess ACLU will have to get to the truth. The ACLU probably is ready to reveal the truth about the teachings of christians, muslims, etc and is just waiting for an opportunity to get the supreme court to recognize and rule that God is a myth and atheists should be in charge of the chaos . Yes, pessimissism reigns!

james bush 8 years, 4 months ago

Atheists are surely more able to protect the USA and defeat the religious right, whichever sect they encounter!

sgtwolverine 8 years, 4 months ago

bea: I know you qualified it; I just think speculation is at best pointless and at worst unnecessarily inflammatory. But I really shouldn't complain, since I'm sure I'm guilty of speculating at times, too.

ohjay: Maybe I should offer Cleese a position in my cabinet, too.

TOB: That's one rule (kick early/go for it late). Another might be Don't Run A QB Sneak On The Goal Line With Only Ten Seconds Left And No Timeouts. But that might be a little too specific.

trinity 8 years, 4 months ago

i told ya ss, it's too dang COLD for dodge ball! :)

beatrice 8 years, 4 months ago

sgt, okay, I get it. No more pointless, unnecessarily inflammatory speculation from me -- even if Gore would have been the greatest President ever and made the world super, duper special. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait till Hillary is Pres. ; )

james bush 8 years, 4 months ago

Watching tv is offering diversity in PRIORITIES: space shuttle launch; Baker surrender report, who needs Baker when Jimmy Carter could have done his Neville Chamberlain nazi surrender impersonation; Tony Snow (ole FOX guy) vs David Gregory who is an NBC Bryan(freedom-fighting-terrorists)Williams,Wannabe); or Cheney's lesbian daughter..............hard choices!

james bush 8 years, 4 months ago

God Bless the people who desire peace on earth to men of good will and God NOT bless people who desire to kill me, and other men, women and children who are infidels and/or prefer not to bow to mecca 5 times a day!

sgtwolverine 8 years, 4 months ago

Oh now, bea, Hillary speculation is just plain fun. The more the better, I say!

In all seriousness, what happened to the Steelers this year? I really want to know. I did not expect this sort of year for them; I fully expected them to be good again. What went wrong?

We here in Detroit, of course, get to ask that question yet again this year, and all the answers seem to include the word "Millen." Talk about a disaster. Let's hope nobody puts Millen in charge of Iraq. I know he's from Pennsylvania, so for your sakes, I hope the Steelers never hire him.

Bone777 8 years, 4 months ago

Sgt. - The Steelers felt guilty, after the referees gave them the Super Bowl. No Bus, no love.

The Seahawks are still good this year.

Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda

badger 8 years, 4 months ago

r_t:

I might call jimincountry some sort of warmonger, if he didn't come across like a street preacher off his meds.

Mostly, I looks at him, and I raaaaaiiiiiises my little badgery eyebrow, and I just backs away slowly so I don't get any of the crazy on me.

Also, room for me in your government, kids?

I throw a pretty wicked dodge ball.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 4 months ago

trinity, I bet I coulda got Ms_C to come out for dodgeball. She's got a groovy hat that keeps her warm. Besides, 21*F is like bikini weather for her.
(Don't you love KS weather?)
WHERE IS THE SNOW???

Badger, your on my team. (I'm captain so you pretty much don't have a say.) :)

beatrice 8 years, 4 months ago

sgt, When your quarterback has his head put through a windshield, his appendix removed in an emergency operation, and suffers a concussion -- chances are things won't work out well for you. They lost a couple of close games, a couple of key players, and have had a tough schedule. It just wasn't their year.

As far as losers blaming the refs - pleeeeeeeaaaasssse! You can't push off the defender when you are standing right in front of the ref and expect to not be called for it, even if you are in the end zone. Seahawks are good this year, but I don't see them winning it all.

Anyway, its now basketball season -- let's go Suns!!! 161 points tonight! Amazing, simply amazing.

rt- You know it can't really be funny if you are the only one laughing -- and all in caps, no less. And when anyone talks about the "left-wing media," I have two words in response -- Fox News. Now, put down the crying towel and try to come up with something original, and accurate.

Bone777 8 years, 4 months ago

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 4 months ago

wow leave a thread and do not come back till next day and its about football boy I missed out.

Mkh 8 years, 4 months ago

I really cannot believe that Bush is completely dismissing this report. This plan is being handed down by the highest of the Elite, all he has to do is listen and find a way to salvage this thing; he and Cheney are too far gone to even be bailed out by their own gang. Unbelievable.

Mkh 8 years, 4 months ago

This is further proof that "w" is really not going to stop this until full control of Iraq is obtained, this has nothing to do with turning power of to the Iraqi government. "w" does not trust them enough to give them any kind of lead role by '08.

It's really too bad for him to, because strategically the report was worded in order to offer him a way out. The wording specifically says that if the situation on the ground does not change neither will the turning over of power.