Previous   Next

How much of your lunch break do you actually spend eating?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 6, 2006

Browse the archives

“I would say typically all of it. I work at the school district and we usually only take a half hour to eat in our break room.”

“I don’t know, maybe 15 minutes, if that. I get a half hour lunch, but I have to go get it and make it back in time.”

“Between half an hour and an hour depending on where I eat. I don’t have a traditional job, so my lunch breaks are self-made.”

“I get 30 minutes, but only spend about 10 to 15 minutes eating.”

Comments

ohjayhawk 10 years ago

Usually 30 minutes, a bit longer if I have a Klondike Bar for dessert.

jonas 10 years ago

4-5 minutes. The rest of the time has to be spent catching it.

Linda Aikins 10 years ago

12 minutes driving home: 15 minutes to cook and eat; 21 minutes to sleep; 12 minutes back to work.

sublime 10 years ago

If I eat lunch at all its only for about 15 minutes.

Linda Aikins 10 years ago

shhhh OTS Sweeper. We're just ordinary folks trying to get through ordinary days.

It's easy to post a quick response while something is printing, or while waiting. And besides, I don't smoke so my break involves coming here and seeing what's up.

Tis the season, k?

trinity 10 years ago

heh, a Klondike bar for dessert-yeah, ohjayhawk! :)

i generally consume my food here at my desk in about 5, 10 minutes...if out in a public eating facility may take longer only 'cos i'm chatting it up with my lunch buds.

southerngirl 10 years ago

15 minutes is all I get for lunch and I take every second of it to sit and talk with my teaching peers!!

sgtwolverine 10 years ago

Gasp! TOB, that's 45 seconds that you weren't doing something really productive, like taking a nap. Shame on you. I mean, 45 seconds is almost a minute, you know.

RonBurgandy 10 years ago

Written rule is lunch is an hour. Unwritten rule is lunch is however long you want it to be within reason. ie. two hour lunches have occured. Now how much of that time is actually taking food from my plate to my mouth? Probably 1/5th.

Grundoon Luna 10 years ago

I use my early break to heat up my lunch to eat at my desk, or get the cafeteria food, so I have my actual lunch break to pick Tudedino up from school and take him to after school care. My day is chock full of duties.

acg 10 years ago

It takes about 15 minutes for me to eat lunch. The rest of my 45 minute lunch break is for driving and errands.

sunflower_sue 10 years ago

lemmesee, it depends on how slow I chew as I'm reading the OTS. Then, if I decide to type something, I do that with two hands and therefore, cannot maneuver a fork. I could develop a "no hands" style of eating but that would require me to take extra time washing my face. Probably 5 to 10 actual eating time.

Today, however, I'm taking my lunch break to contemplate the design of the Washington Monument.

DanFreako 10 years ago

I sleep for an hour ..then go back to work to eat lunch

Linda Aikins 10 years ago

TOB for VPrez with sgt! ;)

8 seconds.

ms_canada 10 years ago

As a retired person, I can only think back to when I was employed and working in the hospital. As I recall, we got an hour break and we needed it all to eat our sandwiches or hike down to the cafeteria. Then the rest of the time was to relax and recoup and re charge the old batteries. I, and most nurses never left the premises for lunch.

bugmenot 10 years ago

Where I work, we work 10 to 12 hour days with no lunch breaks. The head of human resources made a point of telling us that in Kansas they are no longer required to provide us with lunch breaks.

But that doesn't mean that I think other people should have to deal with such a situation.

sgtwolverine 10 years ago

Minister of Libations and Good Times? Make it so. We will be the administration known for good times.

packrat 10 years ago

I eat at my desk and work through my break. Less than half the time I actually finish my entire lunch.

Linda Aikins 10 years ago

It's OK TOB. I take it as a compliment! ;))))

Bone777 10 years ago

What a bunch of slackers.

I thought everyone posting here was either retired, independently wealthy, or firemen on their days off (that's me.)

Back to the question. As long as it takes for me to feel not hungry. Usually 20 minutes.

Bone777 10 years ago

Home makers, shift workers, authors with writers block..........

Teapot9 10 years ago

Do the gin and tonics count as eating or is that just leisure time?

ohjayhawk 10 years ago

22 minutes of eating time today, but that included the time spent peeling an orange

Teapot9 10 years ago

Hey Bone, do you guys ever get tired of coming to the dorms when its just some drunk student pulling the alarms? I remember seeing you guys at 4am all geared up and ready to go and then nothing. I dont know who was more pissed though the kids or the firefighters. Standing out there in the cold just waiting till you guys checked the whole dorm. I wouldve killed someone.

dotteboy 10 years ago

Zero. I spend my lunch time constructively by verbally dressing down my fellow employees. Laughs for all.

Bone777 10 years ago

Teapot - I don't live in Lawrence anymore, but we get the same kinds of things with hotels. Drunk kids pulling the alarms. It is irritating, but atleast I'm getting paid to get up and stand out in the cold. The patrons are definitely more pissed.

sunflower_sue 10 years ago

Well IP, I've spent my lunch break contemplating the design of the Washington Monument and I'll I can say is: "Makes me want a hot dog real bad."

Teapot9 10 years ago

Was at Zen Zero last night and would not recommend loading up on chili paste no matter how much you love spicy. I have been paying for it at all hours last night and early this morning and have decided to forgo lunch since I know the rumblings in my gut will not pay heed to my wished to cease.

overall service was average.

sunflower_sue 10 years ago

PS, Chris Miller doesn't look obese and he says he spends 30 min to an hour actually eating. Then again, I don't really think he understood the question. Or maybe he did and just chews really slow.

Linda Aikins 10 years ago

OTS Sweeper. I'm with TOB on this. It's like the only way you know your neighbor is always at the bar is because you are also there.

Sue - Hot dog real bad? Or a real bad hot dog? Looking at the Washington Monument makes me think of something a little bit different, but actually kind of the same.

Oops - now I have to make up that minute of time.

sgtwolverine 10 years ago

Gootsie, if you're always at the bar, I hope you're at least using that time to encourage your barmates to vote for Sgt/Trinity in 2008.

Bone777 10 years ago

Sunflower_Sue - "Chris Miller doesn't look obese". Don't rush to conclusions, that is only a head shot.

There is a reason that Chris's nickname is the "Tick".

trinity 10 years ago

and gootsie your comment sent me in to lala land, and now i shall have a most difficult time returning to my work and getting my brain off of phallic symbols! NO I MEAN HOT DOGS! :p

trinity 10 years ago

wooooooohooooooooo, lmaooooooo! that was so cute i just HAD to share it with others, heh...

hey ya know what, in thinking further on this lunch type question; all depends on where i'm eating! for instance-if it's an all you can eat buffet-especially chinese-it can take forEVER to get me outta that place! ;)

trinity 10 years ago

LMAO...i just now saw the "minister of libations" position that's been graciously filled. yeehaw!

and teapot, lmao-depends on how many gin&tonics consumed over what period of time! ;) a liquid lunch always satisfies, lol

Ceallach 10 years ago

sarge/trin: you must give a posh cabinet job to Gootsie . . . no, no, not the liqour cabinet -- maybe the Secretary of Entertainment, yeah that sounds good.

I am concerned about today's question. If employers know that we only eat 10 or 15 minutes of our lunch break they will find a way to reduce it to just that -- 10 or 15 minutes!! Ya just caint trust em!!!

Now you've done it, I work right in front of the Campanile :)

trinity 10 years ago

oh my dear, ceal-i've become a lil' flushed thinkin' about our very own regional symbol of...never mind, lol.

heyyy, my darlin' hawklet works in col-and i think she can see the campanille also! omg! shield those young eyes from that, roflmbo....

Ceallach 10 years ago

bugmenot: I believe you should require a little proof from your HR rep on that "no lunch" for 10-12 hour shifts.

hawklet21 10 years ago

trinity, don't give away your daughters location! oh, by the way all, it's trinity's BIRTHDAY!!!

Teapot9 10 years ago

are there any pizza places in Lawrence that make a deep dish pizza aka chicago style? and deliver?

im dyin here on Ohio Street

Linda Aikins 10 years ago

Happy Birthday Trin-i-T!

I want to be Secretary of Lingerie.

sunflower_sue 10 years ago

Happy b day Trinity!!! WahhhhHooooo!

I just want to own a politician. Sarg, what's your going rate?

trinity 10 years ago

awwww s'anks youse guys! the birfday greetings make me all warm&meltyfuzzy inside! :)

47 is great so far! ;) hawklet-BACK TO WORK with ya! :)

sunflower_sue 10 years ago

Trinity, You know, it's my Mother-in-laws b day, too. Hmmm...... I'd better start watching what I write on here! (You don't also have a son who just now called you because his good wife reminded him that it was his mother's b day???)

trinity 10 years ago

LOL, no male children here ss! :) all my offspring are girrrrrrrrls! 3 of 'em! and that hawklet one, i tell ya...she's just one pretty cool kidlet. :)

Linda Endicott 10 years ago

Wow. Where do all you guys work, that you can just ignore company policy and not get in trouble for it?