Previous   Next

Do you oppose the construction of new coal-burning power plants in Kansas?

Asked at Checkers, 2300 La. on December 3, 2006

Browse the archives

“I think we need to take a close look at it. I’m wary of anything that would add that much carbon dioxide to the atmosphere. I think we should be looking into alternative energy.”

“Yes. We have enough pollution in the world. We don’t need to contribute to it. I would hope that our voices will be heard on this issue.”

“Yes. Currently the existing energy laws are not being enforced. The energy companies are trying to sidestep the emission standards. They should be prevented from any further construction and have their current emissions curtailed.”

“From what I have heard about the coal-burning plants, I do oppose them. But I’m not sure that I have enough information to give an informed opinion.”

Comments

etsi_truss 7 years, 4 months ago

deec. do a little research! 2 of the plants will be owned by Tri-State and operated by Sunflower. Tri-State is already laying groundwork for a 3rd plant in SE Colorado just 100 miles west of Sunflower's existing plant location and the proposed new plants at Holcomb. We could go ahead and run them out of Kansas back to Colorado, screw Western Kansas economy 1 more time and let Tri-State build all 3 plants in SE Colorado, have the same outcome and absolutly NO CONTROL over anyyhing!!! GOOD IDEA!!!!

deec 7 years, 4 months ago

Why does Sunflower want to locate them in Kansas? Could it be because Colorado has stricter environmental laws? Environmentally, it won't make a difference which state they are located in. They will still create air pollution and drain the relatively scarce water from the aquifer. They should not be built at all. Incidentally, I moved to Hays in June, and folks out here are divided on the plants. They understand water shortages, having lived with drought for several years.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 4 months ago

etsi, I actually thought of putting a wind turbine in my backyard at one point but for me, personally, it was cost prohibitive. I think they're pretty. Large moving sculptures! Ahhhhh... (plus, they make awesome movie set backgrounds!)

Jackalope 7 years, 4 months ago

Excuse me, but how will shifting the plant only 60 miles to the west stop the hysteria of Lawrence in this issue. Same water, same air.... Look at a map. I'm not certain where the "not in our state" argument makes any sense if the real issue is to be the environment. Southwest Kansas has more ties to other states than to Lawrence. Lawrence to them is a mere annoyance living in another world.

Gootsie 7 years, 4 months ago

Etsi, there's a difference between wind and hot air. On this board, it will be hot air! hahaha

It's way windier in western Kansas my dear.

etsi_truss 7 years, 4 months ago

There's plenty of wind in Lawrence

I don't hear the Lawrence City Commission whining about the K.C. Power & Light's new coal fired plant that will be located within 50 or 60 miles of them. I guess when it is down wind and down river it's ok or is it because they may have movers and shakers in the community that may profit from the construction. Maybe we can add a few WIND TURBINES to the hills around Lawrence! Oh that may clutter their landscape (not in my backyard). http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/stories/2006/10/09/story4.html?jst=s_cn_hl

innocuous_posts 7 years, 4 months ago

"Worldwide, coal is the most abundant of the fossil fuels, and its reserves are also the most widely distributed. Estimates of the world's total recoverable reserves of coal in 2002 were about 1,081 billion sort tons. The resulting ratio of coal reserves to production exceeds 200 years, meaning that at current rates of production (and no change in reserves), coal reserves could in theory last for another two centuries. The distribution of coal reserves around the world varies notably from that of oil and gas, in that significant reserves are found in the United States and the Former Soviet Union (FSU) but not in the Middle East. The United States with 26 percent and the FSU with 23 percent account for nearly half of global coal reserves. China (12 percent), Australia (8 percent), Germany (7 percent), South Africa (5 percent), and Poland (2 percent) also have significant amounts of the world's recoverable coal reserves." http://www.eia.doe.gov/neic/infosheets/coalreserves.htm

Celeste 7 years, 4 months ago

There's plenty of wind in Kansas. And really, why are we considering building a coal-burning factory when in all likelyhood fossil fuel will be mined out within our lifetimes? What we should be doing is building plants for alternatives-like wind-that we could feel good about using.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 4 months ago

What's wrong w/ wind? Don't we have plenty of it in KS? I rather like to look of a windfarm...much preferable to nuclear looking stacks. Where are they going to get all the water necessary for a coal operation?

RI, Kd Lang sings that song on her latest cd. I think it's called "Hymns from the 49th parallel." Great cd! Also one of my favs is on that cd..."Hallelujah." (The one by Rufus Wainwright.)

lunacydetector 7 years, 4 months ago

checkers grocery store....that provides a great cross section of the population to ask such a question. why not just stay downtown?

better yet, why not head out to west lawrence where the taxpayer subsidizing population lives that provides the majority of the money for all the worthless things our fine city leaders propose and impliment.

a coal burning plant....i hope in the future they build a gasoline refinery out there, just in case we have another Katrina hit the gulf coast -so the majority doesn't have to 'eat it' at the pumps for a few environmentalist wackos -like last time.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 4 months ago

"After The Coalrush" (adapted from Neil Young's "After the Goldrush")

Well, I dreamed I saw the silver space ships flying In the yellow haze of the sun, there were children crying And colors flying all around the chosen ones. All in a dream, all in a dream the loading had begun. They were flying Mother Nature's silver seed to a new home in the sun. Flying Mother Nature's silver seed to a new home.

Goodfella 7 years, 4 months ago

Oh yeah! Quit watching, and trying to imitate, MANDINGO also. I am tired of the mixed up races.

Goodfella 7 years, 4 months ago

I have some coal that they can burn. I would have kept it, but it was flushed down the toilet. I really hope that it causes another environmental disaster that Lawrence people can get upset about. Why don't Lawrence people start taking up realistic causes? I am sure that many people would appreciate the campaign against black people dressing up like thugs and carrying guns around. The campaign against illegal mexicans screwing up our towns would be nice also. Lawrence people like to smoke way too much pot and moan about issues that they (1) cannot do anything about, and (2) keep them away from the true problems in their communities. Negroes and illegals are the problem. Do something about those things you hippy freaks!!!!

deec 7 years, 4 months ago

Maybe the folks over there in Colorado who will use this electricity can have the plants built over there in Colorado. It sure is nice of them to let us build these plants over here in Kansas and pollute our air and use up our water so those nice Colorado folks can have lots and lots more electricity.

Gootsie 7 years, 4 months ago

wow.

Etsi is passionate about this, but he/she is right. Not much economy around Dodge City (and even worse, thanks to Enron). If it provides jobs, then it needs to be seriously considered.

Esq2eB 7 years, 4 months ago

If the city of Lawrence is so concerned with coal power and it's pollution, they need to stop buying power from Jefferson. Pass around a petition at city council for that. Get the morons and hippies to look at themselves before they start worrying about what other cities are doing.

It is the mentality of "I can have it, but they can't"

deec 7 years, 4 months ago

Wow. Coal is almost like...perfect...(end sarcasm) What about the depletion of the Aquifer? Water is sort of a requirement for like, survival. If these plants are so great, and coal is so clean and wondrous, how come they aren't being built across the border in Colorado where the electricity is actually going to be used?

etsi_truss 7 years, 4 months ago

No- We can't (and Won't) all move to eastern Kansas let us have some sort of economy in western Kansas. Why don't you worry about closing all the coal fired plants in NE Kansas before you start on our end of the state. Clean electricity from coal is good for people, allowing us to live longer, healthier and with a better quality of life. It lights our schoolrooms, powers our modern surgical suites and fuels our state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities, giving us all the necessities and conveniences that modern society needs.

Coal fuels more than 40 percent of the world's electricity and 50 percent of U.S. electricity. And state-of-the-art technologies allow us to produce electricity from coal that is cleaner than ever. Coal use has tripled in the past 30 years, while emissions have been reduced by about one-third. Tens of billions of dollars being invested in state-of-the art technologies will lead to continued environmental improvement and to the ultimate vision of near-zero emissions.

Peabody energy is developing two state-of-the-art 1,500 megawatt generating plants and adjacent coal mines. The Prairie State Energy Campus in Southern Illinois and the Thoroughbred Energy Campus in Western Kentucky would each feature more than half a billion dollars in advanced combustion technologies with state-of-the-art emissions controls.

Coal for electricity, transportation fuels, natural gas and hydrogen. Our nation's wealth of coal gives us an unmatched opportunity to improve energy security, drive down energy prices and improve the environment. Yeah: coal can do that visit www.CoalCanDoThat.com

sunflower_sue 7 years, 4 months ago

Gootsie, I've eaten brains. (explains much, doesn't it?) They have no red to them. But you are right...horrible picture for a restaurant! (Maybe they serve their's fresh?)

sublime 7 years, 4 months ago

LOL I see what you mean GOOTSIE---YUMMY

militant 7 years, 4 months ago

No, I think we need more nuclear power plants...then we can enrich our own fuel and be the first state with it's own nuclear arsenal. Heck, Kansas is twice as large as North Korea and what if 'the border war' got ugly. Then we could tell Missouri that they better pipe down. We'll need a new stsate motto though. Maybe something like, "Kansas, as bad as we wanna be."

Gootsie 7 years, 4 months ago

I'd rather they construct old ones.

Anyone else think that the picture by the Celito Lindo restaurant on the home page looks like brains? Hannibal?