Previous   Next

Are you stocking up on any winter weather supplies?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 1, 2006

Browse the archives

“Not really. Our landlord provides all of that, and I already have an ice scraper.”

“Yes. I’m getting a new snow shovel, lots of Ice Melt and some thermal layers. I’m also knitting many hats and eating a lot to bulk up. This is going to be my year of warm, I’ve decided.”

“No. We’re out of school today, so we’re just out doing some Christmas shopping.”

“I haven’t yet. I’ll probably just push through without it.”

Comments

H_Lecter 7 years, 7 months ago

A profusion of fresh flesh for the freezer.

jonas 7 years, 7 months ago

Sure am! Eggnog and rum, eggnog and rum!

trinity 7 years, 7 months ago

how 'bout a little eggnog with that rum, jonas?? ;)

me? STAPLES! toilet paper, coffee, milk, good to bake/cook with...oh wait i do that all year 'round regardless of the weather. i'm ready for armageddon!

i would however LOVE to have a snowmobile right now.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 7 months ago

I am stocking up on fear. I want to be able to compete with local news stations.

southerngirl 7 years, 7 months ago

Jose Cuervo is a friend of mine...er-used to be...enjoy, some of us just got rain, no freezing stuff no snow to play in, no day off of work. I actually miss it!

Linda Aikins 7 years, 7 months ago

I have to buy a pink stocking cap. Otherwise, I'm good.

H_Lecter 7 years, 7 months ago

RI: Search for: gasser rodel luge in Google Go to the Im Winter: Rodel und Zubehr link Google translate the page

trinity 7 years, 7 months ago

so is bud lite, blue, lmaoooooo...

hey katie horner-didn't look as panic-stricken on the news last night at i'd thought she would! :)

killjoy 7 years, 7 months ago

I heard it was so cold last night that that Britney Spears was spotted wearing underwear (cymbal crash)

sgtwolverine 7 years, 7 months ago

I suspect Katie_Horner would have done well as a cast member on Jericho. I think that was an oversight by CBS.

Topside 7 years, 7 months ago

Hey Julie Tharp way to flap your gums big mouth. Had to be real critical to cancel school since everyone had NO trouble going out to do shopping. FYI-The district media relations person really hates you as of today's paper. Next time there is the blizzard of all blizzards come through and you have to haul your butt in to work you'll know why.

Ceallach 7 years, 7 months ago

Indeed I am. JCPenny sale on Cuddle Duds, half-price, now I'm good to go.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

Rub it in Trinity, you must live south. We got zero in the way of snow. Sadly, my snowmobile sits undercover for yet another "this is gonna be a big one." No sleds...no snowpacked hills...no running the gas powered sled up and down so the poor kiddies won't have to walk back up the hill...no fun...NO FAIR! Wahhhhhhhhhh! :*(

Guess I'll go hit that sale on Cuddle Duds. wa hoo.

Topside 7 years, 7 months ago

Sorry, goots I just saw that quote and was flabergasted. She obviously has dipped into the Ether too much to not even think about how that would reflect onto the school board and possibly the public.

Ceallach 7 years, 7 months ago

It's the best way to go, sue. Cuddle Dudes are quite nice at times, but Cuddle Duds always let me decide when they will or will not be hanging around :)

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

Ceal, I'd think you'd have that authority, anyway! ;)

If anyone runs into a woman shopping with 2 daughters today, be kind to her and offer her a drink...she'll probably need one!

ms_canada 7 years, 7 months ago

trying to keep the cupboard stocked with goodies. As for clothing, I have my ms_canada hat that S-S made for me and it is all I need. Thanks sue, I wore it yesterday while shovelling that white stuff. I was warm as toast. And ps - I now know what snow days are and we definitely don't have them. You guys are so chicken, I can't believe it.
sheesh!!!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

Ms_C, glad you enjoy that one-of-a-kind hat! Nobody could pull that look off like you! :D

I'm off to shop. Wish me luck...I don't particularly care for "shopping with others." (I usually wait 'til the stores are closed.)

TOB & Blue, I did make chili but I made the turkey variety with northern beans...just to be different. 'twas pert good.

Tomorrows question: What type of chili do you make? No wait...we've done that. Nevermind.

BorderRat 7 years, 7 months ago

Got me a Mizzou flag if I run out of firewood.

Topside 7 years, 7 months ago

sue will definitely be warm then if she doesn't die from sufficating herself from the flatulation fumes that will be coming from that mix of chili ingredients. one word...BEANO

beatrice 7 years, 7 months ago

Sure. Bought me a sweater, just in case. I think it will be back in the 70s by Monday, however, so I may not get a chance to wear it. Ah, the joys of Phoenix.

Oh, and did I mention its sunny?

(Now I ask you, how much sympathy did y'all give me when we were hitting 118 degree days in July, or our 100+ degree days late into October?)

Ceallach 7 years, 7 months ago

You are right,sue, I do have that authority. But then they start whining, begging, etc., etc. I'm may be too tender hearted, but I just hate having to get out the whip ;)

Ceallach 7 years, 7 months ago

We did, bea, really! It's just that our sympathetic feelings ran too deep for words :)

Staci Dark Simpson 7 years, 7 months ago

No snow here in Tonganoxie. My kid is so sad. He isn't impressed with our melting ice pellets. What a bummer! I would love to be snowed in! I need firewood, got any more Mizzou flags?

Linda Aikins 7 years, 7 months ago

I'm thinking a rosebud color with a black "flower."

Thanks Py!

sgtwolverine 7 years, 7 months ago

Py, it doesn't slow down as many people, but the local news anchors are just as hysterical. Last year, one of the first real snowfalls of the year got Exciting News Music Intros and big serious titles like "WINTER STORM 2006." What did we get? A few inches. Oooooh. Terrifying. Send out the national guard.

But it was best a couple years when my brother lived in England. They got a blast of winter that produced I think about an inch or so of snow, and the whole area was absolutely paralyzed. My brother was out driving around thinking okay, so what's the big deal again? while a lot of people either didn't drive or failed miserably at driving.

I guess it's just a matter of perspective.

ohjayhawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Py - I am in total agreement with you... NOAA is the place to go for weather info... www.weather.gov. I don't know if I should admit to my undergrad degree in Atmospheric Sciences (what KU calls their meteorology degree), but, in my opinion, the people at the weather service do a first-rate job in most cases.

We were always taught that snow storms are the hardest to predict because most times the models don't agree with each other. That's why NOAA kept saying it was impossible to tell exactly where the heavy snow would be. It sounds like for this storm just a 10 mile difference in the storm track to the north would have put Lawrence in the 7"-8" snowfall. Having to pinpoint a storm track to that finite detail (10 miles in a model that handles an area of the entire US) is not yet possible, and may never be possible. Therefore, weather forecasting is a very inexact science at times, but it is getting better. That's part of the reason I decided not to pursue a job in that field. I couldn't stand the thought of getting paid to lie ;-)

ms_canada 7 years, 7 months ago

pywacket - I know what you mean about that beast, culture shock. The first winter I experienced here in Edmonton and worked the evening shift (nursing) I thought that some nights (11PM) I would not make the walk three blocks from the bus to my building. And I had long johns and long brown stockings on and a toque and a scarf. But my blood thickened up and I can weather any ole storm now. So I do sympathize with Kansans, really I do. :o)

sgtwolverine 7 years, 7 months ago

Okay, Py, your description of Michigan just really made me happy. Although it also made me slightly unhappy that fall is gone, since I do love that season.

But I also like to ski, so winter isn't unwelcome.

ms_canada 7 years, 7 months ago

Py - I believe that they are meaning black as in noir, nero, negro, schwartz and dubh. That's about all the languages I know. That last one got you stumped? A hint, they use it in Scotland and Ireland I have seen black silk, giant roses used in table decor. Quite stunning, it is.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 7 months ago

Conceptual-continuity--

And you show me a sign And I'll be willin' to be movin'

I'll be changing to weather.gov then as The Weather Channel had so many different predictions a'goin.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 7 months ago

No, I need ice melt. My driveway was a smooth as a skating rink. Though it got a lot today, the Sun couldn't hit all of it.

Conceptual_Continuity! Dig your moniker and the Little Feat reference! I was chattin' with one of my employees just today and doing the whole Fido soliloquy [And Fido got up off the floor and he said to me. "What is your conceptual continuity . . ] and the whole, "it doesn't, and you can't. I won't and it don't . . . ." Ah, good times.

Most people think about Zappa and just go "pfft" because they just think of all his satirical material, but Zappa was a tragically underrated musician. He composed very complex arangements, especially when he did jazz.

Damn, now I gotta go dig out Feats Don't Fail Me Now or Apostophe, or sumpin. Ain't dis boogie a mess?

And so in honor of this cold @$$ weather, grab your toques and sing!!

queue blustery winds

"I dreamed I was an Eskimo; (Do-do-do-dio-wi-ya) The frozen wind began to blow; (Do-do-do-dio-wi-ya) From the top of my head to around my toes; and my mamma cried (Nanuk of the North) yeah, my mamma cried (Nanuck of the North) Don't you know my mamma cried (Don' t be a naughty Eskimo-woa-woa-woa) . . . Watch out where the huskies go and don't you eat that . . . "

ms_canada 7 years, 7 months ago

py - my neighbour, of years past, had a black rose bush but the flowers were a blue black. They were gorgeous. I mentioned the hat that sunny sue made for me. I wish you could see it. It is red and white, lovely soft felt like material. It comes down over my ears on the sides and across the front she has put a red maple leaf on a white ground. Our flag is white in the center with red strips on each end. In the middle of the white center is a red maple leaf. I want to tell you, this lady is a very clever lady, I kid you not. She is a fantastic artist. I do admire her greatly. If you want to see me in this hat, just send me your email address. I will erase it after sending you my pic. That is if you want to see it.

ohjayhawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Here's another nice site buried within the NWS' pages. It shows probabilities of winter weather events... http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wwd/winter_wx.shtml

sgtwolverine 7 years, 7 months ago

Py, you certainly aren't lying about Michigan's west side. Add to the list the abundance of excellent fruit farms (cherries, apples, peaches, strawberries, raspberries and blueberries, oh my) and you have a winner, I think.

It's a good thing for me, I think, that my sister lives in Holland. It means I do make occasional trips to the west side.