Previous   Next

Are you happy that the construction on Massachusetts Street is finished?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 26, 2006

Browse the archives

“Yeah. I was avoiding Mass. Street because of the construction. It seemed like it was going on for so long.”

“Yes I am, because now Mass. Street is all opened up. It makes the feel of Mass. Street more open and the people seem more open and happy.”

“Yes, I’m actually very happy it’s finished. It makes everything more accessible, and I know that downtown merchants will be happy, too.”

“Yes. I stayed away while it was going on.”

Related story

Comments

lunacydetector 7 years, 7 months ago

why not have roundabouts down massachusetts street?????

THAT is a GREAT idea!

then all the people who love the downtown can feel the pain of everyone else who live in this town.

darthvedder 7 years, 7 months ago

rae herod is painfully beautiful

Pywacket 7 years, 7 months ago

southerngirl~ Indeed. I had a high school friend named Cindy Kane. She said her parents almost named her Candace, so they could call her Candy Kane. She was grateful to have dodged the bullet of a name that would make people assume she was a hooker! ;-)

OMB... some of us don't even qualify as bona fide fruitcakes--we're just nuts!

one_more_bob 7 years, 7 months ago

The road to the infernal regions is paved with fruitcakes.

Gootsie 7 years, 7 months ago

At least Kasold is still a pain in the arse.

hitme 7 years, 7 months ago

I wish there was more construction too

southerngirl 7 years, 7 months ago

Pywacket- My son was friends with a boy named Harley Crook (no joke). His brother's name is Chevy. I also went to school in Topeka during the roaring 80's with Cotton and his sister Poly Ester no joke there either... ...they walk among us...

Pywacket 7 years, 7 months ago

Prospector~ Alas, I know no roustabouts. But I dated a gandy dancer once upon a time. Talk about hard work...but what a body on that boy!! ;-)

(Oops--hope I don't attract the bored wrath of the propriety policemarm.)

Pywacket 7 years, 7 months ago

sigh

Okay, nobody has mentioned this so I'm gonna have to do it.

What kind of people name their kid "Arsen"? Isn't that playing with fire and just begging the poor kid to live up (or down) to his name?

What are his siblings named? Robry? EmBezzelle? KidKnappe?

The "creative" spelling does nothing to dispel the negative connotations.. ^ ^ _/

^ ^ _/

^ ^ _/ (Better spell this out, now--I'm just kidding!! Lord knows what any of our Eurocentric names mean in other countries! ;-)

As for the question... I'm with the rest--what a disappointment to go downtown and not have to follow a detour or thread my way through construction messes. I'm thinking about moving to earthquake country so I can experience the great joy of having not only the local thoroughfares ripped up for months on end, but seeing my own house torn asunder. Imagine the delight!

outdoor55 7 years, 7 months ago

I wish Johnson County West, I mean West Larence would just get up and move to Leawood.

Tychoman 7 years, 7 months ago

lunacydetector, please secede. Really. That would be awesome. We've been talking about kicking the West Side out of town for years now. :)

LiberalDude 7 years, 7 months ago

Surprise, surprise, someone named "redneckwoman" doesn't go downtown. You know they don't charge admission to go downtown. You can just walk around and enjoy the sights, smells, sounds. It's good to get off the farm every now and then. You might even meet someone with different viewpoints than your own.

What is wrong with you people. Downtown Lawrence is great. On the Border and Chili's are also great. I also like many places in West Lawrence. Diversity is good.

redneckwoman 7 years, 7 months ago

My husband & son go to the downtown barber, other wise we stay far away as possible. Downtown is too high priced for my pocket book.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 7 months ago

Sad to say, I too only use downtown to have my locks shorn. But I don't have the Mayor cut mine, I think he is too busy dreaming of pennies. Every time I go in there he is humming that Bing Crosby song "Pennies From Heaven"

julescotton 7 years, 7 months ago

It PAINS me to hear that these mythic people who live in Lawrence and don't make use of downtown acutally exist. C'MON get out of Chilis, Applebees, On the Border and whichever depressing estabishments you people out there actually go to and COME DOWNTOWN. PLEASE I don't know how you can live without it. :(

prospector 7 years, 7 months ago

Posted by Pywacket (anonymous) on August 26, 2006 at 11:29 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Or roustabouts? We need more roustabouts.

So true! If you know any, they have all the work they can handle. Great career if you don't mind a dirty job.

Pywacket 7 years, 7 months ago

Or roustabouts? We need more roustabouts.

Bowhunter99 7 years, 7 months ago

Why aren't there any roundabouts on Mass St?

H_Lecter 7 years, 7 months ago

Late at night, when no one else was around, the large open trenches were...I mean could have been, great places to dispose of things.

It also brought back such fond memories of the filming of, "The Day After".

ibroke 7 years, 7 months ago

I love clogged traffic! PLEASE START CONSTRUCTION AGAIN! maybe this time you can shut off 23rd street

small_fish_in_small_pond 7 years, 7 months ago

Lunacycreator, I'm happy that the Westside doesn't use downtown. You are all just a bunch of commuting yuppies with no identity...

prospector 7 years, 7 months ago

They were not working in the block that the Freestate Brewery is in , so I did not know there was anything going on.

Puppies make me happy.

paladin 7 years, 7 months ago

Happiness, as a static state of being or an objective goal to be sought and achieved, is a myth. So is Downtown.

alm77 7 years, 7 months ago

lunacy, you're missing out. I buy everything I can from downtown. New clothes, ice cream, haircuts, video games for our kids, candles, toys (you HAVE to see the new toy store, it's the PERFECT place to buy gifts for kids), and Free State IS worth the trip downtown.

My husband's sister and her family came to visit us recently, we made sure to take them downtown to see it all and we rode the bus to get there.

hitme 7 years, 7 months ago

The next project should be to remove the signs on 15th street that have Bob Billings name on them. That is so ridiculous to change the name of a numbered street. I'm sure if Bob were alive, he would agree that if a street name was to be changed in his honor, common sense would be used...and it wouldn't be 15th! Does it make sense that a street has two names? Only in Lawrence...it's so embarrassing to explain to visitors that our city planners did this deliberately.

classclown 7 years, 7 months ago

Makes no difference to me. I get my hair cut at the barber shop on the west side down by the court house. Other than that, I don't do downtown.

Damian666 7 years, 7 months ago

I heard they dug up some skeletons and are trying to keep it quiet.

(OK, I didn't really hear that...maybe)

lunacydetector 7 years, 7 months ago

i guess i need to visit the downtown more often, or at least drive through it. being on the west side of town, i have all the amenities i need. i'm not too wild about used clothing so there isn't any need for me to shop downtown. the restaurants are okay, but nothing special enough for a special trip.

i didn't even know they were having some construction. so, what were they building anyway?

on another note, i wonder how many people on the west side of town would like to secede from the city of lawrence and form our own city, say split it down naismith drive? new west lawrence could be its name. could the city stop it from happening? i wonder how much the east side would lose in tax dollars? i bet it would be big, but the east side would always have the downtown, IF it could pay its own way. guess the chamber is throwing a beer fest homecoming weekend. too bad the shops will be closed. i wonder who will make all the money?

thunderbuns 7 years, 7 months ago

Finally Mass Street is done! It's about time! Happy happy joy joy! That whole construction fiasco was Bush's fault! He caused Katrina! He caused global warming! He caused Pluto to lose it's planetary status! He caused the Tsunami! He caused Dan Rather to lose his job! He caused this post to be removed by the L J World!!!!!!

(But I'm still happy Mass Street's done!)

Gootsie 7 years, 7 months ago

I agree with all of you. Nothing spoils a day like this type of happy news does.

bmwjhawk 7 years, 7 months ago

I agree with Jonas. It's much better when traffic is clogged and there's nowhere to park.

Other things I'm not happy about: getting enough sleep, receiving birthday gifts, pay raises, and eating delicious meals.

jonas 7 years, 7 months ago

No. I like construction. Especially construction that fouls up busy, attractive commercial districts for months at a time.

Atouk 7 years, 7 months ago

Cave man says holes in street got close to cave walls. Rattled spare clubs off of walls.