Previous   Next

Are you happy that the construction on Massachusetts Street is finished?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 26, 2006

Browse the archives

“Yeah. I was avoiding Mass. Street because of the construction. It seemed like it was going on for so long.”

“Yes I am, because now Mass. Street is all opened up. It makes the feel of Mass. Street more open and the people seem more open and happy.”

“Yes, I’m actually very happy it’s finished. It makes everything more accessible, and I know that downtown merchants will be happy, too.”

“Yes. I stayed away while it was going on.”

Related story

Comments

jonas 8 years, 3 months ago

No. I like construction. Especially construction that fouls up busy, attractive commercial districts for months at a time.

bmwjhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

I agree with Jonas. It's much better when traffic is clogged and there's nowhere to park.

Other things I'm not happy about: getting enough sleep, receiving birthday gifts, pay raises, and eating delicious meals.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 3 months ago

I agree with all of you. Nothing spoils a day like this type of happy news does.

thunderbuns 8 years, 3 months ago

Finally Mass Street is done! It's about time! Happy happy joy joy! That whole construction fiasco was Bush's fault! He caused Katrina! He caused global warming! He caused Pluto to lose it's planetary status! He caused the Tsunami! He caused Dan Rather to lose his job! He caused this post to be removed by the L J World!!!!!!

(But I'm still happy Mass Street's done!)

lunacydetector 8 years, 3 months ago

i guess i need to visit the downtown more often, or at least drive through it. being on the west side of town, i have all the amenities i need. i'm not too wild about used clothing so there isn't any need for me to shop downtown. the restaurants are okay, but nothing special enough for a special trip.

i didn't even know they were having some construction. so, what were they building anyway?

on another note, i wonder how many people on the west side of town would like to secede from the city of lawrence and form our own city, say split it down naismith drive? new west lawrence could be its name. could the city stop it from happening? i wonder how much the east side would lose in tax dollars? i bet it would be big, but the east side would always have the downtown, IF it could pay its own way. guess the chamber is throwing a beer fest homecoming weekend. too bad the shops will be closed. i wonder who will make all the money?

classclown 8 years, 3 months ago

Makes no difference to me. I get my hair cut at the barber shop on the west side down by the court house. Other than that, I don't do downtown.

alm77 8 years, 3 months ago

lunacy, you're missing out. I buy everything I can from downtown. New clothes, ice cream, haircuts, video games for our kids, candles, toys (you HAVE to see the new toy store, it's the PERFECT place to buy gifts for kids), and Free State IS worth the trip downtown.

My husband's sister and her family came to visit us recently, we made sure to take them downtown to see it all and we rode the bus to get there.

paladin 8 years, 3 months ago

Happiness, as a static state of being or an objective goal to be sought and achieved, is a myth. So is Downtown.

H_Lecter 8 years, 3 months ago

Late at night, when no one else was around, the large open trenches were...I mean could have been, great places to dispose of things.

It also brought back such fond memories of the filming of, "The Day After".

julescotton 8 years, 3 months ago

It PAINS me to hear that these mythic people who live in Lawrence and don't make use of downtown acutally exist. C'MON get out of Chilis, Applebees, On the Border and whichever depressing estabishments you people out there actually go to and COME DOWNTOWN. PLEASE I don't know how you can live without it. :(

redneckwoman 8 years, 3 months ago

My husband & son go to the downtown barber, other wise we stay far away as possible. Downtown is too high priced for my pocket book.

LiberalDude 8 years, 3 months ago

Surprise, surprise, someone named "redneckwoman" doesn't go downtown. You know they don't charge admission to go downtown. You can just walk around and enjoy the sights, smells, sounds. It's good to get off the farm every now and then. You might even meet someone with different viewpoints than your own.

What is wrong with you people. Downtown Lawrence is great. On the Border and Chili's are also great. I also like many places in West Lawrence. Diversity is good.

Tychoman 8 years, 3 months ago

lunacydetector, please secede. Really. That would be awesome. We've been talking about kicking the West Side out of town for years now. :)

outdoor55 8 years, 3 months ago

I wish Johnson County West, I mean West Larence would just get up and move to Leawood.

southerngirl 8 years, 3 months ago

Pywacket- My son was friends with a boy named Harley Crook (no joke). His brother's name is Chevy. I also went to school in Topeka during the roaring 80's with Cotton and his sister Poly Ester no joke there either... ...they walk among us...

Linda Aikins 8 years, 3 months ago

At least Kasold is still a pain in the arse.

lunacydetector 8 years, 3 months ago

why not have roundabouts down massachusetts street?????

THAT is a GREAT idea!

then all the people who love the downtown can feel the pain of everyone else who live in this town.