Previous   Next

Do you think Pluto should retain its status as a planet?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 15, 2006

Browse the archives

“I think the north and south nodes of the moon should receive more attention than Pluto. As to whether it stays or goes as a planet, I’m pretty indifferent.”

“Let’s keep it a planet because it’s got a great name and the man who discovered it is from Kansas.”

“Yeah, but I don’t really think it matters. I don’t see it causing any problems either way.”

“I’m for it remaining a planet. It’s supposed to be an outpost for the conquering aliens according to literature on the subject. So I think we should leave it alone.”

Related story

Comments

smiles 8 years, 1 month ago

I like Pluto as the cute dog he has been for years.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 1 month ago

What kind of Mickey Mouse question is this anyhow?

sgtwolverine 8 years, 1 month ago

I am desperately trying to figure out if this is a serious question, and if the responses are serious answers. It all sounds like a joke. Is this April Fools Day?

jonas 8 years, 1 month ago

"Yeah, but I don't really think it matters. I don't see it causing any problems either way."

• Madalyn Johnson, Kansas University sophomore, Lawrence

Clearly, Madalyn, you don't know Pluto as well as I do. When you get a planet that far out into the extreme end of its galactic platforms, it almost exists to cause problems. If you doubt that, ask its opinion on abortion and exit strategy for the war on Iraq. Or don't ask, Pluto tends to just tell you if you wait for it too long. Its a small planet with a tiny moon, so you know it uses political issues to compensate for its tiny, tiny moon.

oldvet 8 years, 1 month ago

Walt Disney is from Kansas?

KyleXY 8 years, 1 month ago

and I thought everyone was staring at Uranus

trinity 8 years, 1 month ago

nannoo nannoo...is it anywhere near Ork?

lmbo, blue&gootsie! :)

DanFreako 8 years, 1 month ago

Walt Disney worked for the Kansas City Star.

southerngirl 8 years, 1 month ago

"it's pretty much the 'ol US vs Europe pissing in the wind contest."

I'd really prefer that they arm wrestle or rock,paper, scissors for the top honor. : )

d

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

RI started it last night so let's just ask how many people really think man has set foot on the moon? If so, why all the "doctored" photographs? Could they not get a camera to work on the moon and so had to "fake some pics" later on? Maybe that very large radiation belt destroyed all the "real" photos???

Trollkiller, I've often wondered about my well water but K-State keeps telling me it's fine. I think it's all a conspiracy!

sgtwolverine 8 years, 1 month ago

I knew it was a real issue; I just couldn't tell if all four answers today were actually serious. I also did not know it is the only planet discovered by an American. That is interesting.

I think it should be a hot dog eating contest to decide the issue.

Sometimes I also think parts of Europe should be declared separate planets.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

Oh, Pluto...don't ask, don't tell!

southerngirl 8 years, 1 month ago

Sgt-I was listening to the news this morning and they were reporting that NASA has lost the original voice and data transmission records from the first moon landing including the "one small step..." recording. Maybe it IS a conspiracy!

d

METALQ2 8 years, 1 month ago

Who could possibly give a s---?

beatrice 8 years, 1 month ago

I wonder if Pluto is concerned about the labels being placed on it by others? If we say it isn't a planet, does that mean it can't legally marry its moon?

Sue - NASA did go to the moon. The thought of our government trying to pull off such a gigantic hoax as faking the moon landing, multiple times, is goofy. Heck, our government can't even break into the Democratic National Headquarters or have an affair with a chubby intern without getting caught. You think they could pull off something like faking the moon landing? Please. I'm not a mathematician, but it would have been discovered from all over the planet by the distance of where the radio signals were received from at different points on the globe. Something to do with triangulation or some such. (I'm sure some of the more brilliant people here, like Marion, can come and explain it to us.) So don't go bad mouthing Neil Armstrong and Buzz Lightyear ... er Aldrin anymore.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 1 month ago

The implication here is that affairs with slim interns have less chance of being exposed. This is an interesting idea.

southerngirl 8 years, 1 month ago

We actually lived at Langley AFB when the moon landing occured. I was just a tiny baby, but from my parent's stories, I am sure that it wasn't faked. d

Linda Endicott 8 years, 1 month ago

I lived through the first moon landing, and I definitely don't think it was faked. Technology then was far too primitive to have adequately faked anything on such a grand scale as that. And technology now is so advanced that if it had been faked, it would be far too easy to debunk it now, yet no one has been able to. Only conspiracy theories abound. I would chance to say that the majority of people who think it was faked are those who were too young to be around when it actually happened.

But of course, keep those paranoid conspiracy theories going. Far too many people now think that the Holocaust wasn't real, either. Join their ranks. What a wonderful club you'll belong to. (sarcasm)

As for Pluto, keep it as a planet. Who the hell is ever going to get there to prove one way or another whether it's actually a planet? And in the big scheme of things, what does it matter?

ms_canada 8 years, 1 month ago

sgt - you have a good idea there. If some smart scientist could just figure a way to export some parts of the world to pluto, we may just experience peace on earth.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 1 month ago

but why change it all now? just think all the books are going to have to be changed and all that relearning the masses will have to do.... Just leave it all alone is it really going to impact our daily lives? not that I can see so why mess up the status..

trinity 8 years, 1 month ago

full bodied is a wine term.

i prefer wagnerian, voluptuous, curvy, or even fluffy-to "chubby" or "full figured", lmaooo.

or better yet-whole lotta woman! :)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

pleasingly plump? More to love?

mztrendy 8 years, 1 month ago

more cushion for the pushin?

Tony Kisner 8 years, 1 month ago

I'm not sure about Genevieve with purple hair. But I am glad she exposed the whole nodes of the moon issue. The "Nodes" as I like to call it has been on the back burner way too long.

beatrice 8 years, 1 month ago

sgtw: you are reading into things. I never said that affairs with skinny interns are less detectable, nor did I wish to imply that chubby can't also be considered cute and attractive. I'm just saying that if the government tries to pull a fast one (Watergate, Monica-gate, WMD-gate) we eventually find out the truth.

Now, for our adult readers, a distasteful joke. (For those of a delicate nature, please skip the following.)

Monica L. walks into a dry cleaners and says, "I have a stain on a dress I'd like cleaned." Unable to hear her over the noise of the washers, the worker says, "Come again?" Monica replies, "No. This time its mustard."

(and the countdown to removal begins at 10, 9, 8 ...)

sgtwolverine 8 years, 1 month ago

Of course I'm reading into things. That's how I like to find humor! Life is more fun that way.

Besides, I bet the good people of this comment board could invent some marvelous reasons why skinny-intern (skintern?) affairs are easier to hide...

ToriFreak13 8 years, 1 month ago

Kids in America cant name the first 5 presidents these days.....why waste their struggling brain cells on a planet?

BunE 8 years, 1 month ago

Walt Disney was a kook.

Walt Disney world/land whatever is for suckers

Epcot is even worse.

Skinny interns are fun

Not so skinny interns are fun too

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 1 month ago

If Pluto gets the boot I, as well as many other astrologers, have a bunch of natal charts to re-do!! What are Scorpios going to do without their ruling planet!?! OH, THE HUMANITY!!!

Yo! Bea! I've been a non-smoker 3 weeks now. Not one cigarette! the crowd goes wild

Oh, and some ladies at large like to be referred to as Rubenesque

beatrice 8 years, 1 month ago

AA: Awesome! Keep it up -- you will be so happy you did! I was in New York a couple of months back, and saw someone pay $7.50 for a pack from a 5th Ave grocer. That is just nuts!

As far as the first 5 Presidents -- George was first, then John, then it was Paul, Ringo, and finally Billy Preston. Right?

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 1 month ago

Thank you muchly, Bea/Bob. I feel great. I must say I dont' know if I could have done it without these lozenges, but I am intent on the whole 90-120 day plan with these things.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 1 month ago

Good one B!

My friend had her breast removed yesterday. As she was going into surgery, her surgeon told her a joke.

A man went in to have his leg amputated. They discovered that they removed the wrong leg! He went to the man's family and said, "Well I have bad news and good news. The bad news is, we amputated the wrong leg. The good news is, the other one is going to be OK after all."

Funny or not???

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 1 month ago

You speak the truth, mysterious person, but "Scorpions will have to use Mars as a plateary ruler again!! OH, THE HUMANITY" didn't strike me as being humorous - some may argue that what I said in the first place wasn't. I have a book dated back to when Mars was shared by Aries and Scorpio and I think there was another sign, maybe two, in that book that had co-rulers. Planets sharing rulers is not uncomon. Being the generous person that I am, I happen to share my planetary ruler with those of the Gemini persuasion. Taurans and Libras both are Venusians. Astrologers are also ascribing influence to Chiron, Vesta and a number of other celestial bodies. But I bet you know all that.

beatrice 8 years, 1 month ago

goots, funny joke, though I question the doctor's timing. I thought the joke was going to end by saying the doc had to then remove the original leg, yet the patient wasn't able to sue -- because the judge claimed he didn't have a leg to stand on.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 1 month ago

groaning, but with complete humbleness to your soh.

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 1 month ago

bad-da-bomp-chsh (dont' know how else to type a rim shot)

pelliott 8 years, 1 month ago

If planet is to be defined scientifically and if Pluto doesn't fit the definetion, then it should be redisignated. I am against public opinion and sentiment defining science standards. Emotionally I love the story of the young man on a kansas farm finding heavens secrets.

beatrice 8 years, 1 month ago

And don't forget to tip your waiters and waitresses.

beatrice 8 years, 1 month ago

omb: I just scrolled through -- oh, that Marion. Yesterday I asked Marion if one of his failed businesses was gasket manufacturing, though he didn't reply. I figure it must have been, and now he has a virtual endless supply of gaskets. He needs them, too, since he seems to blow a gasket or two every single day. Most of us can't afford to replace gaskets that readily, so we remain calmer.

stophammertime 8 years, 1 month ago

Hell no. Pluto, you had your chance to prove yourself.

ScorpYin38 8 years, 1 month ago

I'm a Scorpio! How could they do this to me?!? I love Pluto! Why Pluto?! AAHH! That was MY planet! Why couldn't they have taken Uranus instead? (Just kidding.)

But seriously. Ugh, it sucks so bad. What, I'm ruled by a 'dwarf planet' now? :'-(

I WANT MY PLANET BACK. GAAH!

I'm sure that Hades is very displeased with this decision. lol.

So...what's gonna happen to Sailor Pluto now anyway? Does she get to stay? lol.