Previous   Next

Do you prefer red and white or green fire engines?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 12, 2006

Browse the archives

“Green’s a lot better. First of all, who else has green fire engines? Second of all, it’s less obtrusive. The noise is really enough.”

“I’m OK with red and white. I love red. I think it’s the traditional color. It’s the color that fire trucks were meant to be.”

“I like red and white, especially if it has a Dalmatian.”

“I like the old-school red and white, but people around here are probably used to the green ones. I think it would be a good change.”

Related story

Comments

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 11 months ago

Why is firetruck is one word, but fire engine two words?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 11 months ago

Do they ever use that bright shiny bell on firetrucks anymore?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 11 months ago

My hometown had white trucks, but red is kinda traditional I think.

Tony Kisner 7 years, 8 months ago

I like the ones already paid for and in good working condition.

anonymous_ljworld_poster 7 years, 8 months ago

And you just made another patronizing, condescending post, Jayhawk.

/So what else is new?

ModSquadGal 7 years, 8 months ago

Southerngirl's was the best idea... too funny!

I say we let Xhibit PIMP OUR RIDE and maybe Mike LaVallee can do flames on the sides: http://www.killerpaint.com/flash/killerpaint_flash_index.html

As long as they get where they need to go, I'm pretty non-committal on the color.

Bone777 7 years, 8 months ago

Firemen should have the say azz face.

jayhawks71 7 years, 8 months ago

i was responding to sweetpeas claim that the firemen should be making the decision. red trucks are more difficult to see in the dark. and for the record, they don't use my tax dollars to buy the trucks either. rather sad that the color of fire trucks is such an important issue.

momof4 7 years, 8 months ago

jayhawk71 the red fire engine isn't costing the city any more than a green one. Read the article. They aren't spending any extra money to get the red fire apparatus. When they get new equipment, it will be in red, not green. They're not using your precious tax dollars to paint all the green equipment red. Which of course means for the next 10-20 years we'll have both red and green. Christmas in August anyone?

Bone777 7 years, 8 months ago

Jayhawk 71 - blah, blah, blah. Sometimes you have to trust the people you put into positions in you city services. Not some goofball that doesn't have any thing to do but blog and complain. If your office is painted pink and you don't want it so, ask you boss and support his desicion. Chief wants red, get over it.

jayhawks71 7 years, 8 months ago

blessed, are you in the strobe light business?

blessed3x 7 years, 8 months ago

" Slower flash rates, and randomly flashing lights are not known to be a cause of photosensitive epilepsy."

All the strobes I've seen flash in a random pattern. Even the new police overhead lights flash randomly.

Jersey_Girl 7 years, 8 months ago

After 9/11, I think all fire engines should resemble FDNY trucks in memory of those who gave their lives. In other words, red with gold lettering and emblems.

And I agree with classclown - those freaking strobes are going to cause a seizure, if they haven't already. They give me a headache as it is, which is probably one step away from a seizure.

jayhawks71 7 years, 8 months ago

I want my employer to paint my office a different color. I want my employer to recarpet my office. I want a window. I want a new desk.

No, when you work for the taxpayer, the people footing the bill have a say, not the employee. Can you imagine if every government employee was given a fund from which to draw for "asthetic" changes in his/her work environment?

Should one be a tad more concerned with having working, high-quality equipment for fighting fires or what color we perceive when looking at a firetruck?

sweetpeagj 7 years, 8 months ago

If the ones fighting the fires want it red than it shujld be so. Molly remarks were just ignorant on so many levels that even responding is making my iq lower.

Lynn731 7 years, 8 months ago

Red, of course! Thank you, Lynn

jayhawks71 7 years, 8 months ago

Because I wanted to bait you into making another empty, worthless comment, which you did. Mission accomplished. Now I can move on to other topics.

stophammertime 7 years, 8 months ago

All fire engines should be painted with flames and naked chicks all over them. Wouldn't you get out of the way if you saw a flaming naked chick mobile barreling towards you?

anonymous_ljworld_poster 7 years, 8 months ago

So why did you even bother to post, Jayhawk?

jayhawks71 7 years, 8 months ago

The asthetics of firetrucks? As a question on the street is one thing, but there is a conversation about it in a thread! LOL - Come on!

one_more_bob 7 years, 8 months ago

oldvet gets the golden fruitcake. For what it's worth, fire engines & ambulances down here in Space City have sirens and horns that are loud enough to knock a mule down at 40 yards. When I am on the sidewalk & hear an ambulance approaching, I stick my fingers in my ears until it is past. I reckon they have to be that loud to get the attention of people driving along with their radios cranked up.

soiledbrown 7 years, 8 months ago

finns crushed the russians! AND the only country to pay back war debt!

classclown 7 years, 8 months ago

I remember that from back in high school back in 1979.

oldvet 7 years, 8 months ago

Fire engines should always be red and I'll tell you why...

2 + 2 = 4 4 X 3 = 12 12 inches is a ruler Queen Elizabeth is also a ruler Queen Elizabeth is also a ship Ships sail on the ocean Oceans have fish Fish have fins Finns fight the Russians Russians are red Fire engines are always rushin' So... Fire Engines are RED!

capncorrupto 7 years, 8 months ago

Hey Molly, Are you stupid? Obtrusive? Noisy? The Fire Dept. is here to save lives and property, not make a fashion statement!

Bone777 7 years, 8 months ago

The chief and firefighters want red. That is good enough for me.

classclown 7 years, 8 months ago

Another reason it doesn't matter what color the trucks are is that between the poor condition of the roads and all the obstacles such as roundabouts, those trucks won't be able to get to any fires.

southerngirl 7 years, 8 months ago

Come on guys, everyone knows that green is the new red! Where is your sense of fashion adventure!?

d

anonymous_ljworld_poster 7 years, 8 months ago

Molly's answer still has me scratching my head.

What a truly odd response.

thunderbuns 7 years, 8 months ago

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

inmate 7 years, 8 months ago

Blue with crimson trim and Jayhawk emblems

tell_it_like_it_is 7 years, 8 months ago

How about black with orange flames?

Pywacket 7 years, 8 months ago

Haha.. Kuku Kansas--Molly's answer struck me as bizarre, too. "Too obtrusive"? Maybe if she's lying around on a frathouse porch with a blistering headache after an all night... cotillion (cough cough).. and doesn't want to face the day, yet.

"Oh, my god! The noise!!! The noise!! and that BLINDING lime-green COLOR!!! Muffy, wake up! Hold my head while I barf over the porch rail, then drive me back to the Chi Omega house, puleeeeze! Oh, look--that house over there is burning.. It's stinking up the place. How tacky is that?"

Me? I don't care what color they are. I like red for the tradition, but the green ones are just as prevalent around the country now. I loooove the bad, low-rider idea, too.

Kuku_Kansas 7 years, 8 months ago

"Green's a lot better. First of all, who else has green fire engines? Second of all, it's less obtrusive. The noise is really enough."

Molly...

...if it's your house a'burin', I would assume you would be praying that firetruck is as OBTRUSIVE as possible to get through traffic and not blending in with the serene environment around it!

I don't know...maybe I'm wrong.

classclown 7 years, 8 months ago

They have so many lights on them anymore, and all those strobe lights are blinding, that it doesn't really matter what color they are. It's not like you'll see the color anyway.

When you see a noisy discotheque coming down the street, you'll know what it is.

Speaking of all the strobes, I wonder if anybody has ever had an epileptic seizure triggered from those strobes. Has anyone ever tried suing a municipality over that?

Marion Lynn 7 years, 8 months ago

This one is fairly close to a hot rod as they are discarding the original V-12 and replacing with a Mercedes TuroDiesel.

The will eschew flames however as the truck is going to be used as a hearse:

Thanks.

Marion.

MWIV 7 years, 8 months ago

Red only! No white. The green is horrible.

smokey 7 years, 8 months ago

red with half of the cab being black.... lots of chrome..... there was a study done several year back that indicated green was the color that was the most visible over red... thats one reason why we have green fire trucks.... but red is the traditional color... doesnt matter the color, however the firemen would prefer red. just as long as the get there... hey it beats the horse and cart rigs of the past

southerngirl 7 years, 8 months ago

You all have me envisioning a pimped out low rider fire truck with a loud sound system that says "get out da way fool!!" instead of a siren and maybe a flat screen TV system so that nosy neighbors can see what's going on.

southerngirl 7 years, 8 months ago

I don't care what color they are as long as they are there when I need them!

jonas 7 years, 8 months ago

Or purple with green lines. Smokin!

Gootsie 7 years, 8 months ago

Why not orange with flames painted on the sides?