Previous   Next

What type of music would you like to see at a festival in Lawrence?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on August 5, 2006

Browse the archives

“I enjoy live jazz. I used to work at the Jazz Festival in Kansas City during the summer. I’d like to see something like that in Lawrence.”

“Celtic music with bagpipes and all that. It’s fun, it’s got a good beat and there are a lot of good traditional songs to play.”

“I would like to see a festival with all different kinds of music. Some rap, some R&B, everything.”

“I’d like to see Americana music, social-conscious rock and roll.”

Related story

Comments

geekin_topekan 8 years, 4 months ago

I'd like to hear some swing/jazz.I saw a cat named Jamie Cullum on ETV's Sound Stage.Blew me away.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 4 months ago

jay71, left you a message at the end of yesterday's thread.

Muzak: I'd go for Celtic! Also bluegrass, folk, jazz, old school rock-n-roll. I don't care what "type" of music as long as it's good.

On another topic: When will we get some rain? The leaves are falling off my trees like it's October.

Sigmund 8 years, 4 months ago

Just take those old records off the shelf, I'll sit and listen to 'em by myself, Today's music ain't got the same soul, I like that old time rock and roll.

Don't try and take me to a disco, You'll never even get me out on the floor, In ten minutes I'll be late for the door, I like that old time rock and roll.

Still like that old time rock and roll, That kind of music just soothes my soul, I reminisce about the days of old, With that old time rock and roll.

Won't go and hear 'em play a tango, I'd rather hear some blues or funky old soul, There's only one sure way to get me to go, Start playin' old time rock and roll.

Call me a relic call me what you will, Say I'm old fashioned say I'm over the hill. Today's music ain't got the same soul, I like that old time rock and roll.

justsomewench 8 years, 4 months ago

blues, jazz, r&b.

preferably something affordable and that draws a crowd that you can take your kids near without worrying about getting soaked in another patron's flying beer (or worse).

ms_canada 8 years, 4 months ago

Howdy folk music fans - well now if I lived in Lawrence I would like to attend a folk music festival just like the one we have in Edmonton. It is great, truly great! Prejudice, no, what ever gave you that idea. :o) Our fest has a great variety of artists. Next weekend 20,000 fans (1 from Lawrence,KS) will thrill to music from Mexico, south USA (cajun) Africa, Scotland, Ireland, the UK, Canadian Celtic, French Canadian and Canadian Aborigini. This will be my 28th year at the fest Check out the site www.efmf.ab.ca Check the site map for pictures of the venue. click on the blue eyes.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 4 months ago

EVERYONE says "Jazz", but then few people really support this truly American artform.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 4 months ago

A variety of music at Liberty Hall and on the streets of downtown accompanied with a First Saturday Art walk each month. Keep a variety of stores open as some furniture and other handcrafted objects qualify as art.

bjamnjm 8 years, 4 months ago

Play music from movie soundtracks like "Muppets from Space". If they did that I'd be there in a heartbeat.

thunderbuns 8 years, 4 months ago

I don't wanna "see" any kind of music. I want to listen to it! Bluegrass all the way!.

BTW: I used to think "country" was the lowest form of music, but then along came "rap" music. Gimme a break! Rap "music" is a sign that the end is near!!!

Hey Dick: "social-conscious" rock n roll !!??

Wha....??

mikeyj 8 years, 4 months ago

as far as Jazz goes - there are still a few jazzers around Lawrence. I play in the Jazzhaus big band, which plays every other Sunday from 2-4 at the American Legion, and I also play for Junkyard Jazz every Thursday night from 7:30-9:30 at the Legion. Both are free and open to the public - go there if you want to here some jazz!

About those two groups - I'm the youngest member by probably at least 40 years. I'm 19, and the oldest guy that plays at Junkyard Jazz is 91. He's a trumpet player who still has trumpet and solo chops and he can play up a storm! We're not talkin Dave Douglas stuff here, just standards like Satin Doll, Don't get around much anymore, sunny side of the street, i'll see you in my dreams, etc.

Big band and Junkyard are great for ME, because I can learn how to play those good old tunes from the people that were around when they first came out - a valuable lesson. I go to college at the University of North Texas, which is both the largest music school in the world, and the most renown jazz school in the world. They have 1600 music students and 9 big bands (compare that to KU's 400 music students and 1.5 big bands). At UNT everything is modern and cutting edge - all the charts are new, and that's all we play. It's a lot of fun to sit down with my old buddies at the Legion when I'm in town and jam to some great old, simple tunes.

Anywho - to hear jazz check out the American Legion...who woulda thunk that would be the happenin place?