Previous   Next

What type of music would you like to see at a festival in Lawrence?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on August 5, 2006

Browse the archives

“I enjoy live jazz. I used to work at the Jazz Festival in Kansas City during the summer. I’d like to see something like that in Lawrence.”

“Celtic music with bagpipes and all that. It’s fun, it’s got a good beat and there are a lot of good traditional songs to play.”

“I would like to see a festival with all different kinds of music. Some rap, some R&B, everything.”

“I’d like to see Americana music, social-conscious rock and roll.”

Related story

Comments

Pywacket 7 years, 8 months ago

mikeyj~~ You are a peach! Thanks for the tip--I'll try to catch you guys. I should drag my kid along--he will be at KU next year & plans to be in band (although not a music major). I keep trying to get him interested in playing the music I like but he tells me there isn't much call for a contra bass clarinet in jazz bands... ;-)

mikeyj 7 years, 8 months ago

as far as Jazz goes - there are still a few jazzers around Lawrence. I play in the Jazzhaus big band, which plays every other Sunday from 2-4 at the American Legion, and I also play for Junkyard Jazz every Thursday night from 7:30-9:30 at the Legion. Both are free and open to the public - go there if you want to here some jazz!

About those two groups - I'm the youngest member by probably at least 40 years. I'm 19, and the oldest guy that plays at Junkyard Jazz is 91. He's a trumpet player who still has trumpet and solo chops and he can play up a storm! We're not talkin Dave Douglas stuff here, just standards like Satin Doll, Don't get around much anymore, sunny side of the street, i'll see you in my dreams, etc.

Big band and Junkyard are great for ME, because I can learn how to play those good old tunes from the people that were around when they first came out - a valuable lesson. I go to college at the University of North Texas, which is both the largest music school in the world, and the most renown jazz school in the world. They have 1600 music students and 9 big bands (compare that to KU's 400 music students and 1.5 big bands). At UNT everything is modern and cutting edge - all the charts are new, and that's all we play. It's a lot of fun to sit down with my old buddies at the Legion when I'm in town and jam to some great old, simple tunes.

Anywho - to hear jazz check out the American Legion...who woulda thunk that would be the happenin place?

Pywacket 7 years, 8 months ago

Well, thunderbuns, as much as I dislike most rap, I would still rather hear that than anything country. One twangy note and I'm clinging to the ceiling by my claws..

I'm with justsomewench on this one: blues, jazz, & R&B (I'm listening to the Fish Fry on KCUR at the moment).

Oldenuf-- some of us TRY to support jazz locally. But, dang... a long time ago the Jazzhaus (for one example) turned away from jazz and its supporters. Last few times I was there on a weekend, it should have called itself the Funkhaus. Funk is okay, but that's not what I wanted to hear at a place calling itself the Jazzhaus. I haven't been there in a long time, so maybe things have (again) changed. There used to be other places in town where one could reliably catch some jazz or blues, but you always have to hunt for them.

As for festivals, Lady Day, Louis Armstrong, Sarah Vaughn, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Joe Williams, Ray Charles, Ella Fitzgerald, and Bird could be resurrected and playing an all-day free concert and I would have to decline if it were in this frickin heat. I always wish the KC Bluesfest were in October...

I would also turn out for some rock. Used to go to a lot of concerts back in the day.

thunderbuns 7 years, 8 months ago

I don't wanna "see" any kind of music. I want to listen to it! Bluegrass all the way!.

BTW: I used to think "country" was the lowest form of music, but then along came "rap" music. Gimme a break! Rap "music" is a sign that the end is near!!!

Hey Dick: "social-conscious" rock n roll !!??

Wha....??

militant 7 years, 8 months ago

Summer Jam:

Stones Bob Seger Eagles Bonnie Raitt Aerosmith (yes, tickets went on sale today w/Motley Crue) Delbert McClinton Rod Piazza Fleetwood Mac Elton John

I think Martin Mull made a great summary with, "Hey, remember the great Folk Music Scare of the 60's? That crap almost caught on, didn't it?" - Martin Mull,

and finally speaking of "Jack-booted thugs", care to explain why Arschloch got banned, Dave? Was he not left-wing enough for you?

bjamnjm 7 years, 8 months ago

Play music from movie soundtracks like "Muppets from Space". If they did that I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 8 months ago

A variety of music at Liberty Hall and on the streets of downtown accompanied with a First Saturday Art walk each month. Keep a variety of stores open as some furniture and other handcrafted objects qualify as art.

one_more_bob 7 years, 8 months ago

Polka!

A-one, a-two, everybody dance!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 8 months ago

EVERYONE says "Jazz", but then few people really support this truly American artform.

ms_canada 7 years, 8 months ago

Howdy folk music fans - well now if I lived in Lawrence I would like to attend a folk music festival just like the one we have in Edmonton. It is great, truly great! Prejudice, no, what ever gave you that idea. :o) Our fest has a great variety of artists. Next weekend 20,000 fans (1 from Lawrence,KS) will thrill to music from Mexico, south USA (cajun) Africa, Scotland, Ireland, the UK, Canadian Celtic, French Canadian and Canadian Aborigini. This will be my 28th year at the fest Check out the site www.efmf.ab.ca Check the site map for pictures of the venue. click on the blue eyes.

justsomewench 7 years, 8 months ago

blues, jazz, r&b.

preferably something affordable and that draws a crowd that you can take your kids near without worrying about getting soaked in another patron's flying beer (or worse).

bialystocknbloom 7 years, 8 months ago

Marion those jackbooted thugs are responsible for the safety of you and me and (dare I say it) other people. The crap that happened at WakFest you've been b!tching about wasn't illegal or unwarranted. It's called drug enforcement. I don't see why people are in such an uproar over this, especially if they've got nothing to hide.

Sigmund 7 years, 8 months ago

Just take those old records off the shelf, I'll sit and listen to 'em by myself, Today's music ain't got the same soul, I like that old time rock and roll.

Don't try and take me to a disco, You'll never even get me out on the floor, In ten minutes I'll be late for the door, I like that old time rock and roll.

Still like that old time rock and roll, That kind of music just soothes my soul, I reminisce about the days of old, With that old time rock and roll.

Won't go and hear 'em play a tango, I'd rather hear some blues or funky old soul, There's only one sure way to get me to go, Start playin' old time rock and roll.

Call me a relic call me what you will, Say I'm old fashioned say I'm over the hill. Today's music ain't got the same soul, I like that old time rock and roll.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 8 months ago

jay71, left you a message at the end of yesterday's thread.

Muzak: I'd go for Celtic! Also bluegrass, folk, jazz, old school rock-n-roll. I don't care what "type" of music as long as it's good.

On another topic: When will we get some rain? The leaves are falling off my trees like it's October.

geekin_topekan 7 years, 8 months ago

I'd like to hear some swing/jazz.I saw a cat named Jamie Cullum on ETV's Sound Stage.Blew me away.

Marion Lynn 7 years, 8 months ago

This question may well be moot, considering the actions of the Highway Patrol and other law enforcement agencies at the Wauk Fest this year.

I mean, who would want to attend a music festival which one already knows is going to be crawling with what are essentialy jack-booted thugs out for a bust, any way that they can get one?

Thanks.