Previous   Next

What is your favorite event at the Douglas County Fair?

Asked at Douglas County 4-H Fairgrounds, 21st and Harper Streets on August 3, 2006

Browse the archives

“The Tractor Pull, because my son loves tractors.”

“Bucket Calf. You raise the calf from the bottle and then you show it.”

“It’s got to be the Swine Show, because I’m judging it and because of all the great young people involved. It’s a family project. Families working together is what it’s all about.”

“Probably the Demolition Derby, because you see the cars crash into each other.”

Related story

Comments

sgtwolverine 8 years, 3 months ago

acg, I've never actually been to Algonac, so that was a new one to me, but based on the Algonan Lions website, it's still thriving.

It's also referenced on the city of Algonac's official website as an event to see, so it sounds pretty popular and established.

I might have to try to check that out next year. It sounds like fun.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 3 months ago

R_I, maybe OTS agreed that their blood donation age limit question was after the fact, so now they're trying to be very timely with their questions.

Or maybe I have an active imagination.

trinity 8 years, 3 months ago

awww RI, chill...i'll come to the dg co fair&buy ya some cotton candy&take ya on the ferris wheel, k? :) i'd get you a balloon-but i don't know if they're still legal?!?

hands down, DERRRBBBBY...and i am SO with you blue, i loves me some o'brook derby action; without fail, there's fist fights over behind the north bleachers! ;) oh and the cars&stuff are great too, lol

Ceallach 8 years, 3 months ago

My husband and kids always loved the derby! Gotta admit, having mud thrown all over me, head ringing from the noise, smoke, smoke and more smoke, never really won my heart. They also enjoyed the rides, I went for the fresh funnel cake :)

Ceallach 8 years, 3 months ago

btw, Old Enuf, seems like you are also YoungEnuf, congrats on the little girl!!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 3 months ago

"the Jihad Demolition Derby would be more exciting"

Done correctly, every demolition derby is a Jihad.

I didn't know there would be a sheep riding event. When is that?

1lawrencemom 8 years, 3 months ago

acg...try this link for schedule of events, if it doesnt work, search for douglas county fair, they have a website dedicated!http://www.dgcountyfair.com/vendors.html

acg 8 years, 3 months ago

I love it all. Especially the derby. I drove in a powder puff derby in Ovebrook once. That was so much fun! But I was sore afterwards. Anyone have a link to the events calendar for the fair? I've been looking around but I can't seem to find one.

conservative 8 years, 3 months ago

I'm hoping it's the derby for my kids. This is the first year I'm taking them to it.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 3 months ago

Factor in 100% absurdum and you might get it to compute. :o) (notice the cute little smiley face?)

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 3 months ago

"Probably the Demolition Derby, because you see the cars crash into each other."

Whattamean "PROBABLY"? There is no "probably" about it! We put photos of last year's event in our Christmas brag letter in 2005.

H_Lecter 8 years, 3 months ago

The meat carving event. I just love hearing the crowd chant, "To the bone, to the bone!"

sunflower_sue 8 years, 3 months ago

RI, we sure are flinging around the words "opinionated" and "closed minded" today. Hmmmm.... Reminds me of my inlaws. I'm going to go have another drink.

conservative 8 years, 3 months ago

blue, thanks, They actually went on sale yesterday at noon and I have them already. :D

YourItalianPrincess 8 years, 3 months ago

We are going tonight for family night. Bracelets are $20.00 from 6 to 11 which is a good deal. All the rides you can go on as many times as you want. I don't get off of work until 8, but will be buying a bracelet will be worth it.

Today is my little ones 9th birthday, so a night at the fair is going to be fun for him. He has been talking about going all week, so he should have a great birthday. Saturday at the out door pool is the party with friends and family.

Ken Miller 8 years, 3 months ago

Watching townies be drunk and disorderly. Yeah, don't need no wristband to see that from 6- 10 p.m.!

Linda Aikins 8 years, 3 months ago

Bobs score!

I like the funnel cake fling. You take two bites, remember how awful they are because they are sooooooooo sweet, then you fling them at skinny people.

beatrice 8 years, 3 months ago

(FO=B/Otch) -- LOL! Sue and RI are cracking me up today!

acg 8 years, 3 months ago

Thanks harley. Sgt, when I lived up in Algonac they had this big fair/carnival every year and there was a big pickerel tournament fishing contest and they had a double ferris wheel. Do they still do that? It was so much fun. They did fireworks over the St. Claire River and had a parade and stuff.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 3 months ago

Speaking of demolition derbies, my first car will be running in the demo derby in my local fair this year. I wrecked that car a couple years ago, but the damage was confined to the driver's door; it still started, and mechanically, it was functional. So a high school kid took it off my hands and plans to run it in the derby.

Considering my driving record, it is a fitting end for my first car.

So, I can't speak of the Douglas County Fair, but at the Chelsea Community Fair, the demo derby is my favorite event.

Most amusing part of the CCF: they have the fair queen event and the truck pull at the same time.

Sakuraba 8 years, 3 months ago

R_I, 7:27, has a good point. This is a bogus BS question.

Since this is the first ever Douglas County fair and there have never been such events as the derby or swine show in the past, no one could possibly consider an event to be their favorite before all of the events have already happened.

That would be like me saying that the seafood bisque is my favorite soup on the menu. I don't know what the soup of the day will be tomorrow. That answer would be biased, influenced and formed prematurely with incomplete information. No one could answer properly.

They should have waited to ask the question until the fair was over and everyone had gone home. Or better yet, just stand on a street corner and ask dozens of people until they found four who attended every event at the fair.

OTS should really think about it before writing something so STUPID!

The Derby gets old after the first 5 or 10 minutes, but it's still my favorite. They really do need to have a greased pig catching contest.

Sakuraba 8 years, 3 months ago

Sorry, I do tend to rant. But every day someone's got to chime in about how stupid the question is and how it should have been this or that.

Answer it, make a cheeky comment and move on.

Don't sit around whine about about the question, or worse yet pick on some poor stranger that only had a couple seconds to come up with an answer.

grimpeur 8 years, 3 months ago

R_I: "Now it will bias and influence people. Opinions will be formed prematurely, with incomplete information."

Biased. Check. Premature opinions. Check. Incomplete information. Check.

Yep, it all checks out. Did you say it's a 2006 LJW forum? Two-tone? Compensatory brains/neuticles hanging from the chrome-free trailer hitch?

Seems to be running normally.

beatrice 8 years, 3 months ago

RI: can I be grumpy AND change my opinion on a whim? How does this possibility fit in with your MPO equation? What if I have an opinion on the fair, but won't even be in Kansas during its run? Must I still wait to express my opinion until the fair ends, or is the question properly worded for me as is?

So, let me just say that since I won't be there I'll miss the Carni Teeth Count Game, in which you try to guess how many real teeth are in a given carni's mouth -- even money is on 8 or 9.

Ceallach 8 years, 3 months ago

Oh, bea! Now you've mentioned even_money and made me sad because he was deleted from our midst :( Here's a toast to all the e_ms out there!! Wherever they/he are/is!!

A "pleather" fashion show, hmmmm, that might even get me back to the fair . . . as an observer, of course ;)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 3 months ago

I have learned (through life-long trial) that the equations differ by the sexes.

Male opinions are good and mean that said individual is a free thinker and typically have some form of greatness thus represented mathematically as; (MO=ft/good)

Female opinions, on the other hand, must mean that she is simply closed minded, mouthy and irrational thus represented mathmatically as: (FO=B/Otch)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 3 months ago

Did I miss something? Did Oldenuf do his part to repopulate the earth???

Fav. event...from now on it's the carni tooth count! Thanks for the tip, Bea! Although, I may enter something in the pleather show...if I can only get my 90 lb. dog to cooperate!